Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issue with 1991 ZX2r Ninja 250cc

250cc, 4 cylinder engine.

First off, I recently flushed the fuel tank and replaced the fuel filter.

On Monday night, returned home 2km with no issue.

On Wednesday I went to start in the morning, would not turn over (has been starting sweet in the week since cleaning tank and changing filter). I tried push starting in first, no dice. Took car to work.

Wednesday arvo, tried again. Like in the morning, starter motor turns engine over but bike will not start. Try push starting, get a couple backfires (flooded engine? pressure release, no big bang).

Today, start stripping the bike down. Fuel is definetly getting to the carbs. I pulled the leads to the plugs, all are providing a charge to the plugs (not much of a jolt compared to a cars leads). I also tried Aerostart into the cylinders. Removed plugs, they are a bit fouled (bike does run rich and lean sometimes), but the plugs are maybe 2500km old and are iridium plugs.

My thoughts...
    Maybe the 2 distributors are rooted (doubt that both could be, all leads give a similar jolt).
    Maybe I have cracked the head? I still seem to have compression.
    Warped the head? Head looks fine, no extra oil anywhere, no leaks on the ground.

Anyone got any other ideas? Otherwise I'll drop it down to K-tech at some stage.
    Last edited by Argon; 10-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Explosion View Post
    Running giveway signs is not hooning. Only dangerous actions like reving your engine is...

Motorbike
    yamaha R1
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plugs might be fouled from flushing the fuel system
    Guns don't kill people, people with moustaches kill people.

Liked
    338 times
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Battery may not be able to turn motor and produce spark at the same time get it load tested. Try cycling the kill switch between missed starts it will reset the ignition back to cold start.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Motorbike
    2006 - Ninja 636
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    plugs might be fouled from flushing the fuel system
    They do look fouled. But only got them a few months ago. Might just get some cheapie NGK's to test.
    Running giveway signs is not hooning. Only dangerous actions like reving your engine is...

Motorbike
    2006 - Ninja 636
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero Diablo View Post
    Battery may not be able to turn motor and produce spark at the same time get it load tested. Try cycling the kill switch between missed starts it will reset the ignition back to cold start.
    Basically brand new battery. Am charging it over night anyway.

I will try your kill switch trick though, cheers.

Motorbike
    Honda
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when this happened to me i cranked it until the bitch started.. first with full choke and full throttle.. then no choke and full throttle.. then alternating.. throttle open no throttle.. but thing is i can hear if it's getting flodded or not... and have dealt with stubborn engines to note the tell tale signs... i just don't want to believe an engine will start yesterday but not today just like that

Motorbike
    2006 - Ninja 636
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FEARLEZ5 View Post
    i just don't want to believe an engine will start yesterday but not today just like that
    I know, tell me about it man.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow it will be sorted. Thanks for the suggestions.

Motorbike
    GSX-R 1000
    Liked
    20 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds a bit like mine after I picked it up from down south. Was running mint down there then brought it up here and bastard wouldnt start. And cause I kept kicking it over with a battery on its way out it fouled it all.

Replaced plugs and full service and she ran awesome. However now ive got a problem where it won't rev past about 16k rpm. Considering this is just around its peak power band it's somewhat annoying. I havent had a chance to pull the plugs again but going to get another service shortly and get that looked at at the same time.

Motorbike
    2006 - Ninja 636
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by claymen View Post
    Sounds a bit like mine after I picked it up from down south. Was running mint down there then brought it up here and bastard wouldnt start. And cause I kept kicking it over with a battery on its way out it fouled it all.

Replaced plugs and full service and she ran awesome. However now ive got a problem where it won't rev past about 16k rpm. Considering this is just around its peak power band it's somewhat annoying. I havent had a chance to pull the plugs again but going to get another service shortly and get that looked at at the same time.
    I did a compression check on Sunday, no issue.

I'm onsite at the moment, so can't fiddle with the bike. I will change the oil/filter and replace the plugs on Saturday.

To your problem, not revving past 16k... I noticed that on the throttle bodies that they have a vaccuum controlled slide valve above the butterfly valves controlled by the throttle. You need to have a decent seal for the slide valves to work. If these didn't open all the way, would explain why you could not rev out the engine.

Just a thought.

Motorbike
    GSX-R 1000
    Liked
    20 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, will give it a look if I have some time on the weekend. Worst comes to worst I'll get Derek to have a look when I get it serviced next. As its my daily ride I tend to avoid pulling things apart myself as I have a habit of not putting them back together as I find more things to "upgrade"

Motorbike
    2006 - Ninja 636
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by claymen View Post
    Interesting, will give it a look if I have some time on the weekend. Worst comes to worst I'll get Derek to have a look when I get it serviced next. As its my daily ride I tend to avoid pulling things apart myself as I have a habit of not putting them back together as I find more things to "upgrade"
    Yeah, let me know what Derek says once you get it looked at.

Motorbike
    GSX-R 1000
    Liked
    20 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went for a bit of a spin tonight, no worries revving her right out. Sounded excellent but probably pissed half the neighborhood...

Motorbike
    2006 - Ninja 636
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I changed out the oil, and replaced the plugs... still no ignition what so ever.

Next I will have a quick look at the carbies then remove the head.

Motorbike
    2006 - Ninja 636
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it running yesterday afternoon.

It seems as if it was a bad batch of fuel, maybe water in it or something.

I ended up spraying Aerostart into the top of the throttle bodies and blowing through the vacuum pipe to pressurise the system.

Motorbike
    GSX-R 1000
    Liked
    20 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, mine seems to be running sweet atm although she needs a service. seems derek is pretty busy so getting it done come monday.