DR650SE
    Liked
    89 times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CBF250 stalling

Brand new bike but having a bit of trouble when first starting it up, seems to either stall instantly or after a couple of seconds idling, especially when its cold. I have tried fiddling with the choke but with limited effect, also tried jumping on the revs but often it drops out as soon as i let go of the starter button.

Is there something else I can fiddle with? is there a problem with it or is this normal for a new bike? Will it get better as the bike is worn in a bit?

Appreciate any help! cheers.

Motorbike
    Suzuki Sv650s 08
    Liked
    62 times
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting a CBF-250 is an art form in itself. They are a bastard to start. What I do is make sure the fuel is turned on about 1 minute before attempting to start it, put the choke on full, hold the starter for 1-2 seconds (it should definitely catch by then) and then just give it the beans as soon as it starts and after a couple of seconds it should idle with the choke on just fine. It is possible your idle speed is set too low.

Motorbike
    CBF250
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a brand new cbf just recently as well, what i do in the mornings is just full choke, start and put some revs at the same time, hold it around 4k rpm then close the choke immediately.
    After that hold it around 2k rpm (or as low as i can without the engine dying).
    After bout 1 min, it idles fine around 1k rpm.

I have found that you can warm it up faster if you were to just choke on - hold revs - choke off - hold revs for a while - start moving in 1st gear. Problem is you prob need about a few mins of slow riding to warm up properly but traffic behind might not let you do that.

Hope this helps

Motorbike
    CBF250
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, do you have any problems with your mirrors? I cant see enough in my left mirror and the swivel part has already been pushed out to the max. If i try to move the mirror bar thingy, it becomes loose and swings around when i stop.

Didint have this problem with mirrors on the cb250 for training

Motorbike
    DR650SE
    Liked
    89 times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mirrors are held in place with a double nut thing where one nut holds the mirror on the bike and another stops it from swinging around. Pull the little rubber sleeve up and tighten the bottom nut, this one shouldn't move. You can unscrew the top nut to loosen the mirror and let it swing freely, hold the mirror where you want it to be and tighten the top nut. Takes a bit of fiddling.

Motorbike
    2007 YAMAHA FZ1S + 1973 YAMAHA RD350 Restored
    Liked
    224 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_peka View Post
    Brand new bike but having a bit of trouble when first starting it up, seems to either stall instantly or after a couple of seconds idling, especially when its cold. I have tried fiddling with the choke but with limited effect, also tried jumping on the revs but often it drops out as soon as i let go of the starter button.

Is there something else I can fiddle with? is there a problem with it or is this normal for a new bike? Will it get better as the bike is worn in a bit?

Appreciate any help! cheers.
    Hey Buddy i know 2 people with CBF's they do exact same thing as yours! very cold blooded bikes! give it lots of choke and warm it up! my honda hornet 600 does the same! Cheers and good luck!

Motorbike
    has an empty garage
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly a stupid suggestion: how about an electric travel blanket? I've seen a couple of places that sell these electric blankets that run off 12v. Get up in the morning, chuck it over the bike to start warming it up, go have breakfast / shower/ etc and then the bike would be warm(ish) (or at least warmer than it was after a cold morning).

Would that do anything, or am I talking rubbish?
    Give me an open road and a full tank and I'll be happy.

Liked
    14 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Neo Lao View Post
    Possibly a stupid suggestion: how about an electric travel blanket? I've seen a couple of places that sell these electric blankets that run off 12v. Get up in the morning, chuck it over the bike to start warming it up, go have breakfast / shower/ etc and then the bike would be warm(ish) (or at least warmer than it was after a cold morning).

Would that do anything, or am I talking rubbish?
    Wouldn't do a thing. Engine temperature is something like 70 degrees, a lot more than an electric blanket would put out. There is no way a pissy electric blanket would put that kind of heat into a solid block of metal like an engine.

Propel has already said it. CBF's are a pig to start cold. Full choke and let it warm up for a minute of so at 3-4000 rpm. Good time to pull your lid and gloves on.
    It will get better as it runs in.

Motorbike
    CBF250
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bear with the choke warming up till 12 mths later when we get fuel injection , then goodbye chokes! haha!

Motorbike
    08 CBR600RR
    Liked
    50 times
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gpx's are just as bad to start on a cold morning, just give it full choke and do NOT give it any throttle until the engine is running.

It's a natural reaction to give it more throttle if its not starting but that just makes it worse, once its started however i like to take off the choke and use the throttle to keep the revs up for a minute.

Motorbike
    '06 ZX6R
    Liked
    794 times

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... Maybe I'm in the vast minority, but I've never had any problems with mine ('07).

Half choke, simultaneously give a little twist on the throttle and a tap to the starter and she purrs into life, then close the choke when the exhaust warms to the touch. And that's on mornings where I have to scrape ice off the car.

Guess I got lucky.

Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could always take it to bed with you and then she be all warmed up and ready to go in the mornings

Motorbike
    05 R1 Trackbike, 08 Street Triple
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choke it up or rev the guts out of it!

Motorbike
    CBF250
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '07 cbf250 with 8000km on it has no troubles starting on a cold morning.. Full choke, no accelerator, starts first time, everytime. after 20-30secs release the choke and it idles fine. You should never rev the guts out of an engine with the choke on, let alone a cold engine.

Motorbike
    '06 ZX6R
    Liked
    794 times

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan88 View Post
    rev the guts out of it!
    I'm hoping you're joking... Why put a crapload of extra stress on the engine for no good purpose - it's not gonna warm up much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_L View Post
    My '07 cbf250 with 8000km on it has no troubles starting on a cold morning.. Full choke, no accelerator, starts first time, everytime. after 20-30secs release the choke and it idles fine.
    Maybe the 07s are just too good lol...

Motorbike
    Diddley squat :(
    Liked
    382 times
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same prob, mine would just take forever to warm up and would die every time left to idle. Turned out just to be as simple as not enuf fuel getn to the engine at idle.
    There should be a lil black knob on the left side of ur bike just below the fuel tank, this is the fuel valve. A twist of this should adjust ur idle rpm, only needs a small amount of adjustment maybe 500 rpm- this is what was advised to me by prestige honda.
    "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Motorbike
    Honda Cbf 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 06' CBF needs choke and then a minute of slow riding to warm up, even then i have to hold the revs up at the first few sets of lights to keep it from dying.
    But this guy has it completely right!
    Quote Originally Posted by propel View Post
    Just bear with the choke warming up till 12 mths later when we get fuel injection , then goodbye chokes! haha!

Motorbike
    Honda Cbf 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLID View Post
    Had the same prob, mine would just take forever to warm up and would die every time left to idle. Turned out just to be as simple as not enuf fuel getn to the engine at idle.
    There should be a lil black knob on the left side of ur bike just below the fuel tank, this is the fuel valve. A twist of this should adjust ur idle rpm, only needs a small amount of adjustment maybe 500 rpm- this is what was advised to me by prestige honda.
    Sure the knob isn't on the right? mine is

Motorbike
    Suzuki Sv650s 08
    Liked
    62 times
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on the right, probably just a typo.

Motorbike
    K6 GSXR750
    Liked
    78 times
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLID View Post
    Seriously, WTF? It would be a idle adjuster screw, and it has nothing to do with adjusting your fuelling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast