hyosung
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hyosung GT250 engine rattling noise

Hi, I picked up a 2006 Hyosung Gt250 10000km on the clock on the weekend and after my mate rode it home for me it has a rattling sound coming from the engine when in gear or not. Its there from idle to about 2000rpm, then its not sounds fine. Ive taken the side covers off and changed the oil and there is no metal shavings in there, ive also checked the valve clearance and that is in tolerance. Any suggestions what it may be, i read there was a recall on the cam chain tensioner im not sure what sound that makes when that goes or the the timing chain guides go. Its going to the mechanics in 1 week but any checks i can make before would be great.Thanks in advance.

Motorbike
    WR450 Supermoto
    Liked
    195 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of rattle?

Probably best to take it into Dale Brittons and check that the Cam Chain Tensioner Recall was done for that bike.

Inactive Member
    Motorbike
    hyosung
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a rattle type of sound, easiest heard at idle. Its going to the mechanic next week in Wollongong.Is there anyway of checking out if there is a fault with the tensioner.

Motorbike
    None :(
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah mine does the same, if your in neutral and pull on the throttle (mabe to 4000) and then let go do you hear the rattle just after the revs come down too?

Motorbike
    A Monster and a Raptor
    Liked
    70 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same on mine, turned out the baffles in the cat converter (front headers) had come loose and were rattling round. All fixed under warranty.
    Yours might be different, worth a look though.
    Now I know how God feels, when he rides a Ducati.

Liked
    18 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was a recall then have that checked. I hear as you just bought the hyosung, are you sure it isn't just top end noise noise. ZZR/GPX are quite notorious for that, it might be the same for your hyo.

By they way, does the noise come from one cylinder or both.

Inactive Member
    Motorbike
    hyosung
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rattlle sounds like its in the crankcase area. I took the oil filler plug out and it didn`t get any noisier. When i checked the bike out before i bought it through the idle and up a bit no rattles, i heard it when my mate rode it into my driveway and it was loud. Anyway its booked into the local Hyo dealer for Friday and will keep you posted what gets found.

Motorbike
    XS750 brat project
    Liked
    275 times

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if you're aware of them but there's a Hyosung owners fourm at korider.com, you may be able to seek help/advice there?

Hope it all gets resolved quickly/cheaply for you mate!
    Ryan

I like to take Nikon-powered photogasms

Motorbike
    Fireblade
    Liked
    24 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mckenzie View Post
    I had the same on mine, turned out the baffles in the cat converter (front headers) had come loose and were rattling round. All fixed under warranty.
    Yours might be different, worth a look though.

I would check your baffles^^^^^^, my mate had the same rattle that you are describing in his hyo.

Inactive Member
    Motorbike
    hyosung
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the bike to the shop and the mechanic checked it out, says he has never heard this sound on a Hyo so he thinks it may be piston slap.
    Ive removed the rear cylinder and piston and its quite sloppy in the bore. I will measure it today at work, hyo have in the service manual the serviceable size of pistons and pins but there is some noticeable wear marks.
    Will let you know how it goes

Motorbike
    06 hyosung gt250r
    Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my very first quote on a forum. Usually just an observer.

I was looking for a solution to the very same problem I was having, simular k's also. What I ended up doing was leaving my bike running and using my ears to hunt out the source of the noise. Found out it was coming from the catylac converter - for those who don't know what that is, it's the little box on your exhaust just before the muffler. Its designed to make fumes less harmful to the environment, but also assists in dampening noise. The good news is cars and bikes don't need them to run. It is stickerable, but being a 250, cops shouldn't hear the difference. To fix it you have to replace the exhaust (something I've had to do before on my VP Commodore which came to $175) but wouldn't have a clue on the 250 and honestly don't care as I'm not replacing it unless it gets loud.