2014 Ducati 899
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project: Build a trailer from scratch

Well, Iím moving interstate again in a few months. So rather than having to throw out a heap of stuff that the removalists wonít take - like pretty much all the paints, solvents, oils ect in the shed, plus a heap of food Ė I decided we needed a trailer.

Looking around at second hand trailers, it seemed I had a choice of fairly average 6x4ís that donít fit a bike very well and were as flimsy as hell or bigger ones which were harder to find, flimsy and overpriced.
    I could buy a new trailer, but they seemed to start at a minimum of $750 Ė again, for a light duty POS that looked like it would break if you sneezed at it.

So I figure stuff it Ė they donít look like thereís much too them, why not design and build one myself? I can make it exactly how I like rather than trying to stumble across the perfect second hand trailer, itíll be cheaper than a new one, and I can focus on making it solid, good quality and long lasting.

So I decided on making a customisable 7x4 box trailer. I wanted to make it solid, capable of easily being modified to accept a detachable cage, and being strong enough to take 1000kg with the addition of trailer brakes.

I thought Iíd post up the progress on here as I go, in case anyone is interested in making their own. Iíll scan the plans in at some point and go into some detail about the build Ė depending on if people are interested in detail.

So far, I have;
    Trawled though the abortion of documents that is the Australian design rules for trailers,
    Designed and drawn plans for the trailer,
    Bought the steel,
    Cut most of the steel,
    Sourced the axle, suspension ect.
    Started construction Ė already welded most of the chassis.

Here is a couple of teaser pics

Sorry about the poor quality phone camera pics, that won't improve however because I'm not taking my real camera in to work.

In case you're wondering, the white marking around the welds is a really handy marking spray I used for marking out. Fantastic stuff.

Motorbike
    A few in the shed
    Liked
    213 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Thinking about doing this myself. Have a 2 bike trailer but now need to cart 4 - 5 race bikes (possibly bikes over east as well) so I am thinking about doing it myself as there doesn't seem to be much out there that is purpose built (especially for road bikes).

Would be interested in where you ended up going for your steel, axles etc and any link you have to the design rules (sound like they might be good reading on a rainy day!)
    [SIGPIC]Accredited Motorcycling Australia Road Racing Coach Level1 TRAKDAYZ

Motorbike
    2014 Ducati 899
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the steel from a welding/fabricating place here in Sydney at mates rates, and used their cold saw and guilotine to cut it. If you have contacts in the industry it'd be ideal, because this was the quote for steel from a steel merchant

for 8m of 75x50x3.0mm RHS
    12m of 50x25x2.1mm RHS
    10.5m50x50x3.0mm SHS
    1200x2400x2mm Sheetmetal
    1200x2400x1.6mm Sheetmetal

They wanted to charge $482.05 for the steel, $1.98 per saw cut and $8.80 per guilotine cut!

Where as I got that steel plus a few spare extra meters (it came in 8m lengths for the SHS and RHS), for $375, and did all the cutting for free.

The axle, springs, hitch, lights, hanger bolts ect you can find on ebay at good prices, but shipping is a bitch. Ended up buying mine from a local trailer manufacturing place, it worked out to the same price.

There is a number of various goverment documents which tell you design requirements, however this Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB1 is by far the best one I eventually found.

Trailer now has the chassis totally finished, one side on and the tailgate made

Motorbike
    WR450 Supermoto
    Liked
    198 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FFS Where are you moving to now Graham? Melbourne?

P.S - How's the turbo project coming along?

Motorbike
    2014 Ducati 899
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you wish it was melbourne

Maybe Brisbane, probably Townsville, with an outside chance at Darwin. I'll probably find out a week after I should have arrived, lol.

Turbo project is pretty much on hold till after the move... I have entirely too much shit on my plate atm... It does now have most of a new design manifold made for it though

Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    Excellent. Thinking about doing this myself. Have a 2 bike trailer but now need to cart 4 - 5 race bikes (possibly bikes over east as well) so I am thinking about doing it myself as there doesn't seem to be much out there that is purpose built (especially for road bikes).

Would be interested in where you ended up going for your steel, axles etc and any link you have to the design rules (sound like they might be good reading on a rainy day!)
    Chris, a mate of mine built a car trailer a while back, I'll ask him for details of where he got his steel tonight. He's an auto sparky, so may be able to help out with lights etc when the time comes.

Motorbike
    A few in the shed
    Liked
    213 times
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mystery View Post
    Chris, a mate of mine built a car trailer a while back, I'll ask him for details of where he got his steel tonight. He's an auto sparky, so may be able to help out with lights etc when the time comes.
    Cheers, thanks Mike. See you flagging on Sunday?
    [SIGPIC]Accredited Motorcycling Australia Road Racing Coach Level1 TRAKDAYZ

Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure thing, I'll be there, its been a while but no work for me this weekend so I can make it

Spoke to my mate, he swapped the steel for labour on a guys boat, it was all through Stratco though. It turned out pretty flash, I'll try and get some pics.

Motorbike
    2014 Ducati 899
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a few more pics of progress along the way so far. Everything is now done with the exception of fabricating the mudguards, painting and of course licencing

All welding has been done with arc welder - it'd be quicker with a mig, but I figured, I own an arc welder anyway and the practice couldn't hurt me.

Side supports on

Sides on

Front installed

Turned on it's side to help do some welds

Drawbar on

Pile of suspension parts

Showing how I positioned the front spring mount and the drawbar

Suspension on

Jockey wheel and drawbar brace on, still needing a little cleaning up

Tailgate on

Lights and numberplate mount installed

Motorbike
    2013 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak, 1988 RGV250 VJ21
    Liked
    226 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work!

Motorbike
    WR450 Supermoto
    Liked
    198 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least up north it will be warmer. How thick is your floorplate? I'm just wondering if it's going to flex and buckle.

Motorbike
    2014 Ducati 899
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers

Floorplate is 2mm - standard trailers use 1.6mm. Seriously, once you've welded tight across 5 support beams it is pretty sturdy, it takes my weight with no issues at all.

Oh and ironicaly, it seems there is now a strong chance we might be staying exactly where we are this time... Though it will be awesome to have a trailer regardless!

Motorbike
    2014 Ducati 899
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just needs paint and rego now.

Oh, and a mudguard brace. But that's piss easy.

Motorbike
    WR450 Supermoto
    Liked
    198 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't take you long