PDA

View Full Version : dodgy (car) mechanic alert

Barfridge
21-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Yesterday I had to drive my cage down to Canning Vale from Morley, for a job interview. As I turned onto Bannister Rd I saw my temperature guage suddenly shoot up. I pulled over as quickly as I could so I didn't cook the engine, right into the Caltex servo* at 60 Bannister Rd, Canning Vale.

I looked over, and luckily there was a mechanic attached to the servo, so I got out and saw water pissing out of my water pump. I wandered in, and asked the mechanic to take care of it for me, just to fix the pump, as I was in good clothes and didn't have time (or transport) to fix it myself. Sounds alright so far...

Until today when I got a phone call from him, saying it was ready, and the total would be just over $500! He quoted me ludicroud prices on parts, then gave some BS story about every single bolt snappping, so he had to drill them out, which was an extra 2 hours labour blah blah.

I smelt a rat, so a quick call to repco gave me prices of $48 for water pump, $19 for timing belt (which I didn't even ask to be changed), and $16 for fan belt. He quoted me $98 for pump, and $30 each for belts (and of course his trade price is below what I pay retail).

So I ask you guys, how does < $100 of parts suddenly turn into $500+. Surely the labour is a bit excessive. I was expecting $300 tops, but this has completely blown me away.

I haven&#39;t been in to pay him yet, but when I do I&#39;ll be asking for full details, invoices from suppliers etc etc. Any ideas what else I can do? I think this guy saw a man in nice clothes, who lived 30km away, and decided to go to town. The car is an old piece of shit, I could have replaced the whole thing for 500 fucking dollars.

* I have no problem with the people in the servo, just the mechanic that shares the same building.

Courts
21-09-2005, 05:15 PM
It should have been around $370 for that car. The timing belt drives the water pump so that needs to be changed. You should have walked accross the road next to SCA. Next door is Midas. I hate pricks who rip off people. It just gives us who run service centres honestly a bad name as well.

Pkunk
21-09-2005, 06:43 PM
most quotes to replace the water pump on my honda are in the $400-$500 range

H = gold

:(

redxz
21-09-2005, 07:08 PM
bummer, hate ppl like that. Most mechanics I&#39;ve dealt with make a point of phoning you to tell you whats wrong and how much it&#39;s going to cost to fix it and to confirm going ahead with the job. Sounds like this guy thought he smelled easy money and ran with it. That said tho, ask him what he did and what parts he used etc. Unfortunately, sometimes lots of little things add up to alot.

Disco Frank
21-09-2005, 07:28 PM
mm sounds super dodge!

there is a mark up on parts ie you pay more for a part at a mechanic than retail but $500 is stupid

i think the problem is a quote was not given.. ie if a quote is given (Courts should back me up on this ) any extra labour ie IF those bolts snapped will be included

if those bolts snapped he would need new ones have alook and see if they are new!

Monty
21-09-2005, 08:03 PM
timing belt dont need doing but may be fan belt but not always i still refuse to use mechanics for my cars but then again its a holden doesnt need fixing ....hey DISCO :P

Wrex
21-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Always get the quote in writing before any mechanic touches your car/bike/boat! B)

Disco Frank
22-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by kshzx9@Sep 21 2005, 08:03 PM
i still refuse to use mechanics for my cars but then again its a holden doesnt need fixing ....hey DISCO :P

so ho wmany holdens do u have that are NOT on the rd and running again what is it 4?
and what CAR ( not bike ) do u take to work when needed and did not break?

eXume
22-09-2005, 10:15 PM
They should of rang you definetly!!!!!
Written quotes are horseshit, they never mean anything unless you take them to court and for most its not worth the hassle.

Depends what happened to the water pump, it may of screwed the belts, if it has a small rip or anything it could break and theyd be at fault cos you said fix it! I cant see it so i cant tell ya but if the car is old they just might of had to drill the bolts out. Labour is usually the biggest cost and depends what parts they used, if genuine, god knows why they would use genuine, it would cost twice as much.

If you make a point of saying you want to see the old parts, most of the time they wont do a dodge.

Not defending them, just working in a shop makes you realise things can appear alright but underneath be rooted and cost major $$$. Today an Astra with 60,000 kms cost 600 just to fix the brakes. Genuine only pads, new sensors, skim the discs and labour all adds up.

btw anyone reading, never buy an astra, barina or vectra. Opel make shit cars!

Barfridge
22-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a good mechanic I normally go to, but it&#39;s a long long way from canning vale to malaga when your car wont hold any water.

I&#39;ll be heading down there on Tuesday, and will give him as hard a time as I can. Unfortunately, I really don&#39;t know what I can do about things, but I&#39;ll sure as hell be trying.

Barfridge
31-10-2005, 07:10 AM
omg, I have an interweb stalker!

I really do feel special now.

offtheshelf
31-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by cYcLoNe@Oct 31 2005, 12:00 AM

if thats Karma for whatever barfridge has done, I would hate to see whats waitin around the corner 4 you cYcLoNe...........

good mechanics are pretty hard to come by... mine is in joondalup and he is one of my old mans piss buddies from school so he&#39;s good, real good...

Taz
31-10-2005, 08:55 AM
barfridge...have you got your car back or is it still in the shop.

if still in the shop take a huge mate and a digital camera and take heaps of snaps of his shop and tell him where they will be posted to and give him the web address to find them.

i used the camera threat when i got ripped off with my last car and amazingly the price plummetted for "pr" reasons

Daise
31-10-2005, 01:44 PM
I&#39;ll have a look at your car if want.

I don&#39;t know anything about cars, but I&#39;ll over charge you, run up a few hundred km&#39;s on the clock on it and you&#39;ll probably get it back in worse condition. And all your parking money from the ashtray will be gone too.

I figured if people can start business on this basis well why can&#39;t I? :P ;)

Melkor
31-10-2005, 01:59 PM
*providing you know what to do*

Buy the parts from repco. Go down there, ask him to remove all parts that he has fixed and return the vehicle. Repair it yourself and dont pay him a cent.

He can hold the car as a "lien" if there are parts in the vehicle that he has provided but must return the vehicle if you ask him to remove those parts and there is a payment dispute.

ButtNekid
31-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Melkor@Oct 31 2005, 01:59 PM
*providing you know what to do*

Buy the parts from repco. Go down there, ask him to remove all parts that he has fixed and return the vehicle. Repair it yourself and dont pay him a cent.

He can hold the car as a "lien" if there are parts in the vehicle that he has provided but must return the vehicle if you ask him to remove those parts and there is a payment dispute.

Doesnt he hold a lien over the car if there is a payment dispute over his labour costs as well until it is sorted out, not just the parts?

Barfridge
31-10-2005, 09:40 PM
I do have the car back, I tried to dispute the costs with the guy, but it ended up in a &#39;how long is a piece of string&#39; sort of argument, ie. I was asking how do I know you spent 3 hours drilling out bolts, and he replied with "I dont give a fuck, just pay the bill and you&#39;ll get your car back".

If it wasn&#39;t for the stereo in the thing I would have told him to keep it, I just sold the car minus stereo for $200 :(

devil
01-11-2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by barfridge@Oct 31 2005, 09:40 PM
I do have the car back, I tried to dispute the costs with the guy, but it ended up in a &#39;how long is a piece of string&#39; sort of argument, ie. I was asking how do I know you spent 3 hours drilling out bolts, and he replied with "I dont give a fuck, just pay the bill and you&#39;ll get your car back".

If it wasn&#39;t for the stereo in the thing I would have told him to keep it, I just sold the car minus stereo for $200 :(

This will blow you away.
I blew the motor in my Soarer by noe replacing a dead turbo,(my fault), I took the
car down to Jap parts in Maddington (still running but knocking pretty bad) as they gave me the lowest price for a second hand engine $3000 (cool), I told the guys to make everything was fine before I picked it up, aprox 3 weeks later I whent to pick the car up and on the way home I found that it was missing or breaking down at 2500rpm, I
called the guys up and asked what&#39;s the deal and was told to return the car for them to sort it, they have my car for another week and now i&#39;m getting pissed, I call the guys again and ask where is my car getting fixed and now it&#39;s gone to some electric guru,
anyway I get his details and go and see this guy who tells me he will have a look at my car when he has time,( now am very pissed) I call consume affairs and ask if I can take my car to another Machanic and they tell me no worries, I take my car to Rocky auto electric whom take another two weeks to find the problem which turned out that somehow the crank angle sensor wires were in the wrong position at a cost of $2000, I&#39;m not worried about the money as I thought the guy who fitted the motor would fit the bill as they couldn&#39;t find the problem, I call jap parts and tell them they now owe me $2000 and you guessed they say no, I ended up in small claims with all the info from other machanics basicly saying these guys jap parts are incompetant.
Now for the twist, in court Ithought everything was in my favour untill a couple of weeks later I recieve a letter stating that because jap parts did not know if my car had this problem prior to me taking my car to them they had to only pay me, get this
$50 yes $50.
If anyone out there thinks I can take this further please please let me know.

Melkor
01-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 05R1boy@Oct 31 2005, 09:05 PM
Doesnt he hold a lien over the car if there is a payment dispute over his labour costs as well until it is sorted out, not just the parts?

I was always taught a lien could only be held over tangible items as otherwise there is the arguement "how long is a piece of string". People could hold everything to ransom then..."oh didn&#39;t i tell you I charge $25,400 per hour"

However, you may know this one better than me as it&#39;s starting to get civil.

shrike
01-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Heh, since this thread is slowly evolving into mechanic horror stories, let me relate my favourite (I actually have 3. All 3 originated deom car dealer service departments. I have been to car service departments 3 times. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!):

This is back when I had a Toyota MR2 turbo. Lovely little machine. PITA to get in/out from. Anyways:

Take the car to Ignant Bastards Toyota (names changed to protect the guilty) because there&#39;s a driveshaft oil seal leak on the gearbox. No dramas, they tell me. It&#39;ll be $100 parts & labour, ready at the end of the day.

fast forward 2 more days.

Finally ready. Bitch of a job finding a seal that fit, yada yada yada. $100 please.

Fork over the money, take the car home. I first thought something may be slightly awry when my RWD car started TORQUE STEERING when taking off at a set of lights. WTF mate? DEFFO something wrong when I&#39;m driving up Tonkin Highway. The sweeping right handers were fine. The sweeping left handers had the arse end of the car wobbling more than a fat chick at a disco.

Checked alignment. spot on. Wierd. So I&#39;m puzzling over this, when I decide to have a look at the job Toyota have done. I put my hand on the passenger rear tyre. IT MOVES. WTF? I was able to grab the wheel and WIGGLE IT BACK AND FORTH! Aha! I think I found the problem! Now onto the source!

Call Ignant Bastards Toyota. "Oh yeah, we knew about that" Come again? Story I get told is that they stripped the bolt holding the rear passenger control arm in place. The them managed to snap the chassis mount that bolt mates up to OFF the chassis. And, for good measure, broke the rose joint on the control arm.

They then proceeded to screw the stripped bolt through the broken rose joint into the broken chassis mount and hand the car back to me without telling me what happened.

To their credit, when I spoke to the service manager, he was appalled (having just moved across from that Mazda dealership that went out of business Christmas 1999) and said to bring the car back in. And it WAS fixed up. All except for the fact that:

nuts and bolts aren&#39;t covered by some MTA trade thing, so I had to pay for the new bolt and the new chassis mount.

AND

they reckoned the rose joint ont he control arm was broken beforehand. I knew it wasn&#39;t. Who could prove what? $400 thanks for a new control arm.

Wierd. Because their parts department is an absolute joy to work with.

devil
05-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Where is all the law guys on this site??

Jonchilds
06-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by devil@Nov 5 2005, 12:36 AM

Suing people?

Taz
06-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by devil@Nov 5 2005, 12:36 AM

keeping out of it as they dont have the time or inclination to deal with every payment dispute that crops up as most of them there is fuck all that can be done.

except for my motto

revenge is best served cold and KEEP BLOODY QUITE ABOUT IT

Barfridge
06-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Taz knows what&#39;s going on *taps side of nose*

shlacks
09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
sounds like u got stung!!!

may i ask what car you own?

got so many storys about shit like this happening

we have had a few customers complain about stuff and the boss fixes shit up and offers them a free oil change and shit for next time jus to keep the customer...

i see thems come into work that the customer complains about and things are so obvious that the customer has fucked things and our boss does it for them under warrenty

but on the down side because where i work is a dealership our labour prices are more than the midas&#39;s and other small franchises but holy shit does he look after the customers.... guess u gotto hey...

devil
10-11-2005, 03:43 AM
It&#39;s the twin turbo Soarer.

MeLLe
11-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by kshzx9@Sep 21 2005, 08:03 PM
timing belt dont need doing but may be fan belt but not always i still refuse to use mechanics for my cars but then again its a holden doesnt need fixing ....hey DISCO :P

The timing belt in my 4WD is what makes my water pump go. When mine died I had to do the lot as well. My cost wes well over the $500 mark, but they came to me and I don&#39;t have a common car.

Make some calls, find out were you stand, go there with some one and see what happens....

cYcLoNe
12-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Had my car start and run like a dog yesterday - popped the hood and noticed an air hose had come loose (probabely for ignition advance) and Hey-Presto, new car again! - Undoubtedly "your" mechanic would have billed me for a new head gasket or somesuch bollocks... like doctors, you want a second oppinion... <_<

FJ Steve
12-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by cYcLoNe@Nov 12 2005, 11:51 AM
Had my car start and run like a dog yesterday - popped the hood and noticed an air hose had come loose (probabely for ignition advance) and Hey-Presto, new car again! - Undoubtedly "your" mechanic would have billed me for a new head gasket or somesuch bollocks... like doctors, you want a second oppinion... <_<

Hey Barfridge...you been doin&#39; some karma magic?

alchemist
12-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Sorry for the late reply but I just come across this thread about the Caltex servo on Bannister road...

How typical, the bloke who runs the workshop there quoted me $550 to do the front two universal joints on my 80 series landcruiser, the uni&#39;s are $22 each from Veem and I ended up doing them myself in front of work (which is just around the corner)

A mate took his VY Clubsport HSV to them... he did alot of repair work without confirming with my mate on the prices beforehand, he just needed a wheel bearing done and a new clutch, he got stung $3500 for the clutch and wheel bearing. Unbelieveable.

BEWARE do not use this machanic :)

Anton
12-02-2006, 08:48 PM
guess this pretty much confirms it, hell get whats coming eventually

:whoops:

Barfridge
12-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Shit, sorry to hear about your mate. At least you escaped.

Hopefully karma catches up with this bastard one day.

2V4ME
14-02-2006, 02:03 PM
It&#39;s the twin turbo Soarer.
[/b]

Hey devil you should have taken it to Phil&#39;s Mechanical Service in Maddington Road. Phil is good and really know the Soarers(he does all the compling for Destictive Imports). Oh and BTW i have a spare 1jz sitting in my shed just in case mine blows up in my soarer. :thumbsup:

skippy
15-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Pm sent

jipeddo
16-02-2006, 08:37 AM
i live about 1km from them and i would rather my car blow up than go there....