PDA

View Full Version : Mine Work? General Q & A!

BuNKy
09-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey all,

Was wondering if there are any ppl out there with mine experience or have an insight into working at mine sites. All i hear is that they are a top source of short term cash injection if your capable of hard yakka and living away from home for stints at a time.

Im looking at finishing my Masters in a month and want to head overseas for a 6 month binge in July so im obviously looking for sources of solid income without intrenching myself into an organisation that ill be leaving in a short time!

Merely just trying to seek some info about pay, levels, positions (and titles) and work involved at Mines in WA.

Cheers,
KC aka BuNKy

:)

spadaman
09-10-2005, 04:52 PM
it all depends how much you want to get before you go.
if you want mooocho mooola's you'd be best to go construction and do 5 week stints but that's a pain in the arse and it takes about 2 stint's

if your prepared to do it for 6-12 months do a fly in fly out operations position on a shorter roster.

either case if you just want to work and piss off early go and ask some questions at some recruitment agencies like mining personnel, skilled, workpac, etc etc coz that way you get a bit extra but no benefits and you can walk out easy as coz your only a casual employee

anyway that's my 2c's

cheers
chris

Disco Frank
09-10-2005, 06:06 PM
you will most likly need a HR licsense, First aid certificate, MARCSTA and mines health

al piss easy to get but about $350 ex the HR licsense

Nero Diablo
09-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Depends on whatyou want to do. If you don't mind standing next to a dirty great noisy schram in 40degrees plus and getting dust in orifces you didn't know you had most drilling companies are looking for drillers offsiders. Lifting heavy things washing rig, refueling rig, washing rig, driving water truck, washing rig, collecting samples did I metion washing rig? HR license would be of great advantge to neascary depending ont he company usally 3 and 1 stints sometimes 2 and 1. Around 60-80K a year but you are bottom of the food chain and get treated accordingly.

Geologist field assitant is probally a better job with miniumal experince and qualifications but pay will vary however the Iron Ore industry is going ape crap at the moment so it shouldn't be a problem. Surveyors assitant is probally another thing you could try and slot into that doesn't avoid stinking great RC drilling rigs. I could probally get you a start as a down hole surveror but our company is relatively small and needs around 18 months out of an operator to make the training worth while.

Dump truck drivers are on really stupid money at the moment but most drivers usually start in the gold industry to get the experince where the pay is not so spectacular. Personally I would think long and hard before going underground there is however good rewards for doing it. The other thing to look at is a trade assitant on a construction/ shutdown job, I would try for an electrican's TA or Instrument fitters TA over a welders or fitter the work is a little better. Most other jobs you need a trade or experince in the job to get in the front door.

offtheshelf
09-10-2005, 07:55 PM
there are heaps of different ways to earn bulk cash when workin away. mining isn't the only way to do it but there is heaps of construction gonna be happenin up north over the couple of years that should start in the next few months. one of the easiest ways to get a job wit good cash is to do a rigger/scaff course and working at heights. that way, projects offshore etc are easier to get into. it sounds as though there are a few guys on here that know a fair bit about this kind of shit so just leave it open for a bit.....

either way, mining or offshore ya can't go wrong if u can get a start. it helps to know people though...

bleekerism
09-10-2005, 08:15 PM
what exactly does a down hole surveyor do and what would qualifications for a job like that include ?

devil
09-10-2005, 09:43 PM
If you can handle hard yakka go down to AGC Refractory in Kwinana as well as
Collex Refractories also in Kwinana, these companies do maintanace work on mine sites
which depending on the scale of the job can take between 5 days to 3 weeks, you will clear for 5 days $1600 , 7 days $1900 and if you do nightshift aprox $2100 per week.
Just be prepared to work with some real dick heads, that's the only downer to this
particular industry.
And make sure you can pass the drug test, don't even bother trying to to use some
kind of screen as they will make you do another test.
Hope this info helps you out.

bleekerism
10-10-2005, 12:45 AM
sounds good to me i been looking at doing some work in the mines aswell get up some good money i have just spent the last couple of months going thru the selection process for the navy only to get knocked back for the position i was going for because i didnt "have a big enough background in physics" altho no one had mentioned to me before i needed physics or i could have done a bumper course

BuNKy
10-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys all very informative.

Looks like i need to do some more digging!

Pure Power
11-10-2005, 08:47 PM
I have just got myself a FIFO job, took me nearly 6 months to land one. It helps if you know someone already onsite or have a trade that is highly sort after.

Cant comment too much yet as I havent done my first stint. All I know is it's good money, long hours and HOT :lol:

Keep you updated.

FJ Steve
11-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Where abouts Pure Power?

TheonlyNinjabitches
12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
once ya in its hard to get out as going back to the crappy money back in perth or the city doesnt compair plus when ya get a week off every 2 weeks its good

might pop over to thailand on my next break

xphread
12-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Ninja@Oct 12 2005, 03:54 PM
once ya in its hard to get out as going back to the crappy money back in perth or the city doesnt compair plus when ya get a week off every 2 weeks its good
might pop over to thailand on my next break

171817 Its not all crappy here. Not that I've ever been on mines salary, but I'm quite happily enjoying 4 day weekends here! :P.

Co-incidentally Thailand is the first stop on my next break too. :D (but that wont be til Jan)

TheonlyNinjabitches
12-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by xphread@Oct 12 2005, 04:12 PM
Its not all crappy here. Not that I've ever been on mines salary, but I'm quite happily enjoying 4 day weekends here! :P.

Co-incidentally Thailand is the first stop on my next break too. :D (but that wont be til Jan)

well last time i was in perth which was last month the weather was cold raining and crapppy though came here its 35 plus everyday not a cloud in the sky

9zero
15-10-2005, 12:08 AM
even just doing a dogmans course at the moment will get you places, offshore is where the money and better conditions normally is, although the isolation is tough, not too dissimlar to somewhere like Yandi or Area C etc... Mines that are in or near towns such as Karratha, Hedland (although hedland is a fucking dump), Newman are a little easier to live in I have found, I have worked at about 6 or 7 different minesites over the past year, definite good way to make a buck.

hokoyo
15-10-2005, 07:17 AM
The big money is in the mine civil / construction jobs. Next one up is the Yandi rail / conveyor expansion project. Wages are regulated by client, with a 5:1 roster a labourer with no experience will get over 120g pa. Job will last up to 6 months but you generally have to know someone to get in

Pure Power
15-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by FJ Steve@Oct 11 2005, 09:41 PM
Where abouts Pure Power?

Starting in Newman and once that is completed (5 months) then off to Pt Hedland-not too excited about that though :rolleyes:

9zero
15-10-2005, 08:00 PM
haha Hedland is a town of pure class, I thankfully only had to fly into that place once, spent the day and then took off again - im in no hurry to get back there

Is the conveyor upgrade at HI Yandi? I was on the 36 MTA expansion for about 6 months and I remember they wanted to build another conveyor for a different grade ore or something, my camp was the BHP one between HI and HWE and I thought it was quite beautiful.

I remember that they were talking about going straight to a 48mta expansion not long after the 36 had finished.

I remember thinking at the time that the HI rail at Yandi needed upgrading - they were building the osprey junction when I was there and just assumed they would keep going

devil
15-10-2005, 10:12 PM
HEH HEH HEH, Headland is a classic I did a few fly in fly out jobs on the HBI plant.
I was supposed to be working in the same reactor that blew up the day after it happened, I did have some fun in that camp ( Pundamara), If you guys ever go
to Headland you have got to check out the Pub called the Last Chance, a very appropriete name especialy on dole day just don't park your car to close.

Ryder
10-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Interesting thread

I really want to get a job in the mines or something, basicly I'm after lots of cash for doing something that doesnt need any immediate qualifications. Want to do it for a couple of years at least and save up some serious dough - at least saving it is the plan anyway...

So, being 20 and having no previous exp in the industry it looks like my options are limited to drillers offsider and field assistant - is there anything else?

it seems many of the drillers offsiders positions have HR lic listed as desirable/nessesary. Well, I have my HR class but unfortunately it's suspended for a while to come. Due to a 'reckless' charge I got on the bike. wondering if this will be a big issue, i mean the minesites are privately owned anyway aren't they? So i don't know if it would be illegal for me to drive on them... Not sure how this stuff works...

Oh and wtf does a field assitant actually do?? :huh:

Any advice?

Cheers

Nero Diablo
10-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Most of the mines are on leases you require a drivers license to do just about any thing on site. You usally alos need a four wheel drive course (comapny usally pays) and a first aid certificate. So for now you will have to wait there is also very little tolerance of speeding usally have breath tests once a month before shifts, the limit is zero in case you are wondering. The bigger sites have the better facilities but you have to play the game safety wise pretty striaght down the line. Mess up once and you get a bit if a talking too mess up twice and the comapny will kick you off site pretty much imediatly and then ethier your empoyer will give you the arse or you will simply not be allowed on BHP/HI sites again. Thats a lot of work to cut yourself out of.

In short yes it will be an issue you will have to be paitent to say the least.

Dyno
10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
You can become an operator fairly easily in most mine sites. It is a definate advantage if you can demonstrate you are mechanically apt and don't mind hard work.
As mentioned before a MARCSTA is a good idea to have. A forklift ticket would probably help as well.

I'm a metallurgist on a copper mine and we employ a wide range of people. More often than not, lately, they don't have any mines experience at all. We have people from chicken treat and fibreglassing companies working for us. Mining personnel are in high demand at the moment and some(like us) are willing to try just about anyone to see if they are suitable.

Register with companies like Extraman, Professional Personnel, DT Workforce, Skilled etc.

Be prepared for hot, nasty work but quite decent money.

Pure Power
10-12-2005, 03:29 PM
The construction industry(iron ore) up North is really busy atm. If you don't have a trade like one of the guys said you could do a course in rigging or a dogman as there is always jobs going. General TA jobs are bit hard to come by, and it's also a bonus if your have a HR license. Remembering though this time of the year isn't for the faint hearted as the outside temp up here (Newman) is getting to 44 in the shade and will continue to climb :blink: The roster for construction is usually 4/1 and very union driver.

vscorsa
10-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BuNKy@Oct 9 2005, 04:23 PM
Hey all,

Was wondering if there are any ppl out there with mine experience or have an insight into working at mine sites. All i hear is that they are a top source of short term cash injection if your capable of hard yakka and living away from home for stints at a time.

Im looking at finishing my Masters in a month and want to head overseas for a 6 month binge in July so im obviously looking for sources of solid income without intrenching myself into an organisation that ill be leaving in a short time!

Merely just trying to seek some info about pay, levels, positions (and titles) and work involved at Mines in WA.

Cheers,
KC aka BuNKy

Heya Bunky,

You are right about the mines being a good source of income and a good means to save. I have been in mining since 1999 and have never looked back. The biggest difficulty is getting a foot in the door.

If you want to offside a drill rig 99% of employers require an HR lic to prove that you can operate heavy machinery.

As for oil and gas i have a few mates working off shore and unless you know someone or have a trade you have buckles chance.

Another option is to try underground contractors, they are always looking for guys and usually pay well. The minimum for a UG operator in my opinion is about $280 a shift and working 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

In your case you just have to find the highest paying job and work as many shifts as you can.

What is your masters in?

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

number9
10-12-2005, 06:51 PM
I work for a (large) drilling company, though I myself am not a driller. Drilling pays well but is monumentally boring work -- standing next to a rig for a 12-hour shift in the heat, dust and noise isn't my idea of a good time. Similarly, driving dump trucks also pays well but driving in essentially a large circuit for 12 hours at a time would turn my brain to mush.

Go for an operations job -- better conditions, more interesting, more room to move career-wise.

Infusi0n
10-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Isn't it great seeing someones hard earned uni degree go to waste :P (Will be in that position in 2 years once the phd is finished)

big_harold
10-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Ryder@Dec 10 2005, 10:03 AM
Interesting thread

I really want to get a job in the mines or something

Cheers

Fark the mines. Offshore is the only way to go. The Oil industry is in a massive boom right now and the service companies are desparate for people. The Service industry is basically Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, Weatherford and Expro.

The first few years (3-4) will be shit money - basically $50-60K year and at least 200+ days away. But after that the $$$ ramp up.

Welltesting, Wireline and Data Acquisition are the main areas in demand at the moment. With a lot of work being, West Africa, SE. Asia and Former Soviet Union.

Most of these roles are being filled by consultants at the moment and the day rate for experienced guys is from $600-$1000 per day for guys with 5 to 7 years experience.

Expro (my old mob) had an ad in the West Australian a couple weeks back - and the rumour is they are having a massive recruiting drive to get rid of day-rating bastards like myself :( - but as I'm about to sign back on I'm not too worried.

Basically if you are mechanically minded or electronically minded, willing to spend a LOT of time away from home and not a complete fuckwit you will do well.

I don't know who the specific contacts are outside of Expro but I can PM details for my old mob if you want them.

Cheers B_H

9zero
10-12-2005, 09:06 PM
its good you are looking into this - I have been working fifo for a bit over a year now and the money sure is good - conditions can be a little rough but if your working for a big mob like BHP, PI, RIO etc... you will be fine. As someone said before just go to one of these big recruiting companies - skilled seem to be one of the bigger players and just tell them you want to work they will find something for you to do - tell you which courses to do etc... Riggers and Dogman are good ones to do, not having a license could be difficult - some sites you have to do advanced driving courses before you are allowed on site - they also ask for your license so that might be a problem, good luck with it anyway!!

horse
13-12-2005, 11:43 PM
seems a whole lot of people lookin for a way into the mines, i'm on that list too

Originally posted by vscorsa+Dec 10 2005, 03:36 PM-->
Another option is to try underground contractors, they are always looking for guys and usually pay well. The minimum for a UG operator in my opinion is about $280 a shift and working 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

[/b]
2on/2off would be sweet, i take it you mean driving dumpies for 12hrs a day 12 days straight
looks like the only way to get a foot in the door is basically a firstaid and either marcsta or dogman/rigger cert'
<!--QuoteBegin-big_harold@Dec 10 2005, 08:33 PM
Fark the mines. Offshore is the only way to go. The Oil industry is in a massive boom right now and the service companies are desparate for people. The Service industry is basically Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, Weatherford and Expro.
The first few years (3-4) will be shit money - basically $50-60K year and at least 200+ days away. But after that the $$$ ramp up.
Welltesting, Wireline and Data Acquisition are the main areas in demand at the moment. With a lot of work being, West Africa, SE. Asia and Former Soviet Union.

Expro (my old mob) had an ad in the West Australian a couple weeks back - and the rumour is they are having a massive recruiting drive to get rid of day-rating bastards like myself :( - but as I&#39;m about to sign back on I&#39;m not too worried.
Basically if you are mechanically minded or electronically minded, willing to spend a LOT of time away from home and not a complete fuckwit you will do well.

I don&#39;t know who the specific contacts are outside of Expro but I can PM details for my old mob if you want them.
Cheers B_H

i thought they all got jobs from skilled etc, didnt realise they still advertised in the paper......i&#39;m back to buyin the paper every saturday

i&#39;d seriously love a mine/offshore job but would also like to have some time at home (would prefer no more than 3weeks away and atleast 1 week back), looks like it may limit my options somewhat

cheers to bunky for the thread and all who have made replies, it gives me a start point and what i should get before i even start looking