PDA

View Full Version : off road license.

karri
21-07-2010, 08:54 PM
anyone know exactly what this gets you? I got mine for my crf 450 ages ago after getting pinged by a ranger. From what i kinda gathered it doesnt give you much just means you are third party insured (for personal injury only) but only if your on gov approved moto riding land. Think lancelin and a couple other spots around perth.

PaulMac
21-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Yep, Lancelin, Medina (kwinana Thomas road) and Gnangara Road is about the only places that you can use that rego I believe.

Rodent
21-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Ledge Point has an off-road area as well, bit of a moto-x track in there.

karri
21-07-2010, 09:08 PM
havent heard of the ledge point one. Similar riding to lancelin?

Rodent
21-07-2010, 09:55 PM
haven't ridden it for years karri - sandy MX track with a few trails around the nearby scrub, no dune riding.

you can see it from the road to lancelin, turn left at the Ledge Point sign and it's about 400m up on the left.

it's all sign posted, so you shouldn't miss it.

there's a little MX track at York as well on the road out to Northam - pretty short track, bit of a kiddies track but has some good berms and a nice table top.

karri
21-07-2010, 10:11 PM
i heard that they were trying to set up a moto park a hour or two out of perth. Saw a website for it a while ago. Dont know if it ever got off the ground though

spudda
21-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah that was out at whylcatchym which is about 3 and a half hours out. Looked into it a bit more and it all seems to be very flat with a few bits of dirt put around the place. for there sake i do hope they get it off the ground

Ryven
21-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Who told you it gave you insurance? I haven't seen the fees this year, but probably still the same... It's $12. The fees are clearly broken down on the form, $6 for the plates, $6 for the processing. There is not insurance. It gives you accountability while using your off road vehicle, so you are somewhat less likely to be an absolute cock than if you have the benefit of no identifiable vehicle markings and a helmet covering your face, this is why they want you to have it.

Take22
21-07-2010, 10:23 PM
That area across the road from the main entrance to Barbagello was a designated off-road area a few years ago, went past there a few months ago and quite a few trees had been cleared so it may not exist still if anyone knows?

Rodent
21-07-2010, 10:25 PM
where were you riding when you got pinged?

karri
21-07-2010, 11:39 PM
coulda sworn you got covered if you injured someone. Definately could be wrong. Yeah might be worth a trip out to it. Googled it. West moto park. 100 bucks to ride sat and sun and camp sat night. Might be good with a few crew out there. Were still lacking though. Heard queensland government had set out 700 odd acres for recreational use. Got pinged back when i was living in bunno. Got off with a warning. Got done at my car. Woulda just bailed any other time.

Ryven
22-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Yeah, if you want injury insurance you'd probably want a private healthcare policy for yourself. For others, I'd just be guessing, but perhaps there's some kind of public liability insurance?

Mart
22-07-2010, 09:11 AM
so where do you get the license from?? DPI?

karri
22-07-2010, 11:41 AM
yeah from dpi it was dirt cheap i remember that much

Spock
22-07-2010, 11:49 AM
anyone know exactly what this gets you? I got mine for my crf 450 ages ago after getting pinged by a ranger. From what i kinda gathered it doesnt give you much just means you are third party insured (for personal injury only) but only if your on gov approved moto riding land. Think lancelin and a couple other spots around perth.
I looked into this and decided it was a waste of time and money. Better to get a fully registed bike.

karri
22-07-2010, 12:20 PM
yeah it was only cheap though so me and a couple of mates got it. Have you tried the differnce between the crf450x and the crf450r? the road bike is lacking a fair bit i found. mate of mine spent ages trying to get his road bike close to motox spec, cost him a fair bit, just saying that as far as legalities go i wasnt too concerned but thought it might not hurt to get some sort of coverage.

Spock
22-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Have you tried the differnce between the crf450x and the crf450r?
No, but I hear the 450x is about as flaccid as limp cabbage. ;)

Arwon
22-07-2010, 12:27 PM
It does cover you for Third party in enduro events between the markers. This is the only insurance you get with it. In competition only. Check with the Trail and Enduro Club of WA

Lord_Muck
22-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd recommend a licensed bike as the police and rangers are clamping down on people all over the place, it was even featured on The Force a couple of weeks ago, something like $10,000 worth of fines they handed out between only 14 ppl, some of them had offroad rego's, but not in the proper area so it was useless to them.

Sure a licensed bike isn't as highly tuned as an MX bike but thats partially because it is designed to go the distance both fuel economy wise and durability wise. MX bikes are only good for short blatts through the bush not venturing too far from the car which makes it very easy for the ranger to hear/catch you. Whereas on a trail/enduro machine you can do the best part of 100kms, use roads to link your trails, and when you get home you don't have to rebuild it every time.

Also you need a licensed bike or a "B"-class rego'd bike to compete in most of the T&E's Pony Express or Enduro's. (Arwon are you sure you're not thinking of a B-class license that covers you for insurance in a motorsport event, which is the same for cars). Offroad vehicle license is nothing but a tag so that you can be tracked down.

Spock
22-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Sure a licensed bike isn't as highly tuned as an MX bike but thats partially because it is designed to go the distance both fuel economy wise and durability wise.
Also, in my experience as a recreational off road rider, the extra performance of an MX bike doesn't really make much difference on the trails. If you really want/need the extra performance you really should consider joining the T&E or an MX club and go racing.

Brendonv
22-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Is there still that mx track in toodyay? I use to go there like every weekend when i was little. Massive clay track.

Kytty
22-07-2010, 02:26 PM
As far as I know the one opposite barbs is still open and is covered by the offroad license thingy according to that offroad riding association (cant remember their acronym). Suitable for riders of all levels and they encourage kids and families to go there

ozzypatrol
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
me and a mate recently bought pit bikes and are going to be using them up at wedge, and no won't be flying around the village tracks cos i hat the pricks that do, just wondering would it be favourable to get the offride rego? Are we less likely to get in the shit if riding sensibly around the shacks? Both of us have income protection/health cover

ozzypatrol
03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
just spoke to DPI there is no insurance with offroad rego, and the only real advantage apart from maybe getting a fine for using an unregisterd vehicle in an offroad area, is that if it is stolen the piggers can trace back the engine number and find the owner. Still my above question stands, is it worth it if the ranger can identify you in naughty areas?

Arwon
03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
the DPI are wrong. there is insurance for competetive events with the ORV licence. You will need it on a motox bike that cannot be registered fully.

thestewy09
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Still my above question stands, is it worth it if the ranger can identify you in naughty areas?

take plates off?