PDA

View Full Version : Choosing your dirtbike

dazza1968
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
There are so many things that come into buying a dirt bike like type of riding , weight of rider n also bike , Style , 2 OR 4 Strokes etc now what do you look for when seeking out a dirtbike ?:huh:

dazza1968
02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
For me i look for the maintenance done on the bike not so much the hrs,

must be neat with no damage to major parts , i also dont worry too much if bike has been raced in its early life purely because they are so well cared for by the bike teams that its imperative to have it running well so generally no expence is spared ,

as soon as there is any signs of any areas as mentioned not cared for i will not buy the bike ..................................(Having learnt from my younger years buying shit buckets):lol:

IMHO Regards Dazza

PaulMac
02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I have always bought 2 strokes, both new and second hand. Less complicated and much easier and cheaper to repair. Also lighter and up until recently before the new generation type racing four strokes you generally got a much more dirt focussed weapon.
Buying new is a no brainer but if seeking a good second hand bike, I try to buy as new as I can for the best price and condition. Suss out the guy to see if he maintains it himself (is he qualified), does he have top quality oils in the bike, service records/ receipts, hourmeter etc. Ask if the linkage bearings have been greased? Or the swingarm bearings and see if he has any idea. If the maintenance items, such as tires and chain/ sprockets are totally stuffed, it can be an indication that the guys runs everything into the ground or has no money. Obvious signs that a bike has done lots of hours and a hard life is sagged and loose footpegs and loose gear lever pivot. Dirt bikes tend to get a flogging but if you are patient, you can get a good second hand bike. Get a mechanic mate to check it over.
And make sure that you check the VIN to see if it is stolen BEFORE you hand over your cash for it. If the cops confiscate it, you'll be left with nothing.

PaulMac
02-08-2010, 06:41 PM
But to answer your question: IMHO

If you are light (65kg to 85kg) and quite fit - small bore 2 stroke or 250 four stroke, but you've gotta love revving things hard.

If you are heavy (90kg to 110kg) and fit - 250 or bigger 2 stroke or 450 to whatever 4 stroke

If you are a big guy (110kg plus) and fit - KTM380 or KTM525. Everything smaller will feel slow.

If you are any of the above and need to do a fair bit of road riding on the dirty, then a four stroke is your best choice. No premixing, no smoke, better idle etc.

I haven't found any hills yet in Perth where you must have a big bore four stroke. IMO, except for the fire roads you can easily get away with a 250 four stroke or a 200cc or smaller 2 stroke. My weapon of choice would be a KTM125EXC but I'm light, have a motocross background and love attacking everything with massive amounts of revs and use the clutch and gearshift for all their worth. 125's are so light, they skip over all the rough sections and rarely do I get caught in ruts or boggy sections.

The bottom line is buy what floats your boat really.

lit
02-08-2010, 06:48 PM
If you are light (65kg to 85kg) and quite fit - small bore 2 stroke or 250 four stroke, but you've gotta love revving things hard.

If you are heavy (90kg to 110kg) and fit - 250 or bigger 2 stroke or 450 to whatever 4 stroke

If you are a big guy (110kg plus) and fit - KTM380 or KTM525. Everything smaller will feel slow.

So are you saying my bike is over kill for my weight :lol:

PaulMac
02-08-2010, 07:49 PM
If your name was Shane Watts or Josh Strang, I'd say that I would be very polite to you when we went out riding.:cool:

But yeah, bikes are a personal thing. Personally, a 525 would be absolutely last on my shopping list but I ride a 125 smoker so what would I know really. ;)

I have owned plenty of 250cc 2 stroke MX bikes and could ride them quite rapidly (IMO) but I just find 125's so much fun.

lit
02-08-2010, 08:01 PM
It is a handful for me off road. But as a supermotard it is perfect.

I have been trying to talk matty into coming up to lancelin. Would you be interested?
When is the group going to metros next. I would love to check it out.

PaulMac
02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I don't think he is all that keen on deep sand. I learnt to ride in the sand dunes so I have no problem with sand. I'd definitely be keen to go to lanno and would be keen on a sleep over up there to maximize riding time with everyone. There is a bit more than just sand dunes isn't there? I Would probably jet the carb a bit richer on the 125 though to prevent a melt down if I went to Lanno.
I'm not sure when the group is going back to Metro road but I'd say sooner rather than later. It is sweet.
Don't you know some sweet trails at the Lakes? Something about a creek trail that's like a pipeline?

smitto
02-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Im def in for a lanno trip. even if the sand is too much the beach is awesome high speed riding

Jasey
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Maintainance was a big one for me. I wanted to be able to ride mine around roads and to work on fine days so I wasn't keen on the bikes that need to be done every 1,000 km.
Weight, power, price, reputation, common problems, specifications all come into play. I ended up buying an air cooled, old technology, heavy, reliable and low maintainance bike. Wouldn't be my first choice if I was planning on doing a lot of riding through dunes but I didn't think I'd end up doing a lot of that and it's turned out to be a great choice.

With so much information on dirt bikes out there on the internet there's no excuse to do some research before you spend the $$$

Shady7/8
02-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I'll always go 2 stroke - 250cc plus for seriously fun dirt work :D
There's nothing like not knowing when you're going to regain traction!

You'll also learn a shite load about mechanical stuffs

buelllord
02-08-2010, 10:40 PM
There are so many reasons for certain types of dirt bikes. I used to ride enduros with the T&E and rode an RMX250, but nowdays i prefer my XR400 because I don't want to stand on the pegs all day.

buelllord

spudda
02-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah ive always been a 450 man myself because i find them to be enjoyable for the different types of riding i like but also not so twitchy when pinned in third trying to get up that poxy hill. Have a KTM SX-F450 atm but looking to upgrade to either the 450 exc or 525exc so i can motard it and have fun riding to work as well as on weekends. Was supposed to go out to the KTM open day yesterday but as im on nightshifts atm i was shattered tired this morning and decided against taking a few of causeways bikes around the loop while falling asleep.

lit
03-08-2010, 03:39 AM
I used to hate sand also. After going to lano a few weeks ago I fucking love the stuff. Will drag him up there and he will change his mind. There are tracks up to wedge which I prefer over beach riding.

The 525 is awesome. Put any hill in front of it and I will not have to drop a gear to get up it. Pretty much a tractor.

shan
03-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Stroker 490, nothing else is real.

kale
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
As a beginner i'm glad i've got electric start. I've had a few days out with some big stacks in tough places and trying to kick the bike over after a while in the saddle just about breaks me.

michael
03-08-2010, 01:46 PM
I used to hate sand also. After going to lano a few weeks ago I fucking love the stuff. Will drag him up there and he will change his mind. There are tracks up to wedge which I prefer over beach riding.The 525 is awesome.
Put any hill in front of it and I will not have to drop a gear to get up it. Pretty much a tractor.

tracks are the way to go for sure, head out through the bombing range and check out the blown up tanks and what not. great riding, just waiting to get the bike back on the road....

lit
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Just need to avoid the unexploded shells. Don't worry, you will know when you hit them.

dr00
03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
i was looking for a bike that would be ideal to take on holidays to explore the country side so needed to be road regoed, not need heaps of maintenance or pampering, be easy to ride long distances and just be generally bullet proof. decided on the yellow tractor, DRZ400E for me and DRZ250 for the wife. if im honest ive only ever had suzukis and i didnt really look at other brands... plus i already had a DRZ400SM and i wanted to complete the set :tongue:

had the dirty a few weeks now and still never once ridden a dirt bike in dirt... the 250 is the wifes first bike so the focus has been on teaching her to ride so she can follow me around to call in the RFDS when i break myself. shes like my automatic EPIRB with benefits.

dazza1968
03-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Interetsing DR00 as i went for honda,s from a great run earlier on in life and a yamaha for my wife as both shops are close to me so any thing req is close handy ..........Convenience is so important:eek::lol: