PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Tips

Kodez
13-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Hey Lads
Went out for a ride today on my newly aqquired '06 yz450f, awesome. Came across a few things though, for one too much power and not enough skill lol :lol: (i haven't ridden a dirty for about 2 years and was last on and old smoker, all enduro riding) and secondly I can't do jumps :(. Hence this thread (lets keep the negative comments out) whenever I try jumps my feet seem to leave the pegs =D usually resulting in me having sore private parts, wtf am I doing wrong?
Anyone else just post whatever you need help with in here in regards to riding, hopefully some more knowledgeable people can point us in the right direction :)
Kodez

Spock
13-08-2010, 09:50 AM
whenever I try jumps my feet seem to leave the pegs =D usually resulting in me having sore private parts, wtf am I doing wrong?
Do you ride sitting down or standing up?

CT90
13-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Stand up for jumps if you don't already and a 4 stroke jumps different to a 2 stroke. With a 2 stroke you back off going up the face of the jump whereas a 4 stroke you hold a constant throttle off the jump or else you are going to be landing front wheel first (endo). Start off slowly on small jumps, standing up on approach with your body centered over the bike and just hold a constant throttle. Build up from there. Good luck with it all.

Uni
13-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey man,

Always be on the throttle when hitting a jump. It applies to all jumps, smooth even acceleration and a slightly forward body position on the up ramp will give you an even jump (front and rear).
If the bike isn't accelerating as it meets the up-ramp, your suspension will compress and then unload as the bike leaves the lip of the jump. In this circumstance, this means the bike rotates front down and you'll launch off the pegs (Bad juju).

Without seeing the jump I can't really tell you if the jump is a bad one to be learning on, but I will say that you need a shallow take off and landing to build confidence and decrease crash fear... A tabletop is the way to go here, it's a great way to build up to clearing a jump. Jumping is actually quite technical and varied (different jumps require different techniques), oh and it's awesome. ^_^

Start small, repeat, small.

Kodez
13-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Cheers, prolly the acceleration thing getting me, thought you had to accelerate as you went up the ramp :) Just learning on a small tabletop, doubles = bad lol.

ButtNekid
13-08-2010, 11:50 AM
you do accelerate up the ramp just not full throttle, I also like to preload a little, sort of like just as I hit the ramp i push my body weight into the bike a little and bend my knees and then as the bike leaves the ramp, the suspension is coming up at the same time, think of it like a tramp, you want to be coming back up off the tramp mat as your bike is coming off the ramp.

When you are in the air, if you need to bring the rear down (ie you are looking like you are going to land front wheel first) give it throttle, if you are nose high give it rear brake, you can control the pitch this way

michael
13-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Make sure you pull the clutch though if ya get on the rear brake hard enough.

PaulMac
13-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Make sure you pull the clutch though if ya get on the rear brake hard enough.

+ 1 for this. If you stall the engine mid air, you have no option of hitting the throttle to get the rear wheel rotating again. This useful to quickly alternate between locked and rotating rear wheel to pull the bike out of the air quicker as long as you're sure that you gonna make the down ramp. Landing with a dead motor isn't too bad on a two stroke but could potentially pitch you over the bars on landing on a four stroke.
Alternatively, learn the Bubba scrub.

tinytoolmans274
14-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Hey Lads
Went out for a ride today on my newly aqquired '06 yz450f, awesome. Came across a few things though, for one too much power and not enough skill lol :lol: (i haven't ridden a dirty for about 2 years and was last on and old smoker, all enduro riding) and secondly I can't do jumps :(. Hence this thread (lets keep the negative comments out) whenever I try jumps my feet seem to leave the pegs =D usually resulting in me having sore private parts, wtf am I doing wrong?
Anyone else just post whatever you need help with in here in regards to riding, hopefully some more knowledgeable people can point us in the right direction :)
Kodez
grip with your legs , end of story

tinytoolmans274
14-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Cheers, prolly the acceleration thing getting me, thought you had to accelerate as you went up the ramp :) Just learning on a small tabletop, doubles = bad lol.
there are circumstances to be doing this , such as seat bouncing a jump straight out of a corner , have hit a jump face many times with throttle wide open , learn in small steps an you will enjoy the buzz

Arwon
14-08-2010, 05:35 PM
on really bumpy stuff and stutter bumps, hook your toe under the brake lever, it helps.

Don't get too far over the tank on soft sandy corners, sit back a bit and make the bike rail the corner, or the front tucks and you crash.

Stand up as much as possible, Let the bike rock underneath you.

Don't crash

Don't believe everything they tell you in magazines. The last televised round of the Australian motocross championship at Raymond Terrace, an english rider with old school skills kicked arse and made all else look slow.

there you go 5 useful tips.
move along