PDA

View Full Version : Crash Investigation Unit on Ch7 at 8pm tonight

Sventek
25-07-2011, 06:55 PM
It apparently has a story on a motorcycle v car crash, with an interesting conclusion about the bike. I'm told that it's worth watching.

Sventek
25-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I'll be very interested to see how the frame being torn apart in a head-on collision is relevant, poor weld or not.

Algy
25-07-2011, 08:16 PM
thats a fair crash
bike too far over? for better corner?

agrid
25-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I can't imagine that manufacturers would do a different/weaker frame for the Japanese market. Has thta brand new front tire got something to do with it? Why was the rider anywhere near the middle?

Sventek
25-07-2011, 08:31 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Dismissed it?

agrid
25-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Hmm, so the driver was 20cms too far over.

shmoo
25-07-2011, 08:32 PM
what the fuck?

the police show the car was on the wrong side of the road, yet that's not enough?

would love to read a court transcript to see what was argued in court.

Halo_2
25-07-2011, 08:33 PM
+1 they f*cking mapped it out

Typical one that causes it gets off scott free

AdN
25-07-2011, 08:35 PM
He said earlier, he took a wider line as taught by an advanced riding course.

Would this be correct? As i would assume those blinds corners are constantly cut by cars (and bikes) when there are no marked lines.

Thanks for head up on the episode.

agrid
25-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I would have thought an advanced riding course would have taught him about keeping a buffer between himself and other cars. Maybe he meant a cornering course.

Halo_2
25-07-2011, 08:37 PM
If you take a shorter line your going to run wide or run out of road coming out and be able to see less through the corner

STRIPR
25-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Hmmm the dismissal is a bit disturbing. What else do they need to prove? Amazing, they manage to find ways to prove people were hoons with fair less evidence

AdN
25-07-2011, 08:43 PM
If you hug the curb and run wide you end up in middle of the road, if you start in the middle of the road and run wide you end up on the wrong side.

falcon
25-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I think he took the line of maximum visibility, ie the one where you can see the furthest through the corner, and in turn be seen from the furthest distance. Also if it's not a road you've ridden before and you're not sure if it is a decreasing radius corner or what not, starting from the outside line gives you more room to lean in.

The negative side of it being that cars can sometimes run wide...

(This is from a book on advanced riding/safety techniques.)

agrid
25-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah maybe he didn't see the car coming because he was checking his speedo or looking for a multanova.

Thinking back the only scares I can remember having are on left-handers when cars coming the other way cut the corner.

shmoo
25-07-2011, 08:54 PM
ride techniques are surely irrelevant, the car was on the wrong side of the road.

padfoot
25-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I think he took the line of maximum visibility, ie the one where you can see the furthest through the corner, and in turn be seen from the furthest distance.

Exactly. Maybe he was a bit too wide, but that is still exactly how I'd be riding the road; the wider line.

mekon
25-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Also to blame piss poor road upkeep and lack of markings. Though the driver was ultimately at fault.

falcon
25-07-2011, 09:00 PM
ride techniques are surely irrelevant, the car was on the wrong side of the road.

Irrelevant as far as legal liability is (or should be) concerned, yes.

AdN
25-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I think he took the line of maximum visibility, ie the one where you can see the furthest through the corner, and in turn be seen from the furthest distance. Also if it's not a road you've ridden before and you're not sure if it is a decreasing radius corner or what not, starting from the outside line gives you more room to lean in.

Okay this makes more sense.

However personally if i was not familiar with a road like that i would slow down and hug the curb.

Sventek
25-07-2011, 09:12 PM
For me, the point is that if a motorcyclist badly injured an 85-year old man and was at fault by being on the wrong side of the road, they would prosecute.

Halo_2
25-07-2011, 09:13 PM
However personally if i was not familiar with a road like that i would slow down and hug the curb.

And hit any debris/potholes

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/attachments/f20/57505-crash-investigation-unit-ch7-8pm-tonight-cornering_plan-jpg
Read the bottom line, was a full page advert in AMCN

shmoo
25-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Irrelevant as far as legal liability is (or should be) concerned, yes.
evidently not though. that's the scary thing.

25-07-2011, 10:20 PM

I'm sitting here scratching my head..

I didnt see the show, but how can a rider run the wide line, and colide with a car that has run wide? (I am assuming it was a head on)

Also, taking the wide line to gain visibility is kinda nul and void if you don't see a car coming at you...

falcon
25-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm sitting here scratching my head..

I didnt see the show, but how can a rider run the wide line, and colide with a car that has run wide? (I am assuming it was a head on)

Also, taking the wide line to gain visibility is kinda nul and void if you don't see a car coming at you...

It was a glance of the cars front driver side.

Wide line as in start as close to the middle as possible. Not sure of the racing/technical term for it.

Yeah... Agreed, not much point if you don't see it anyway. I don't entirely subscribe to the "line of greatest visibility" theory myself, especially on back roads. Too many cars running wide, the trade off isn't worth it. On wider, marked roads though I can see the advantages.

Just was taking a stab at what the rider was taught at their advanced rider training which was mentioned on the show.

I only watched parts of the show myself, mythbusters was on... Kari wore a semi see through shirt...

25-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I just mean, if the rider is turning left for instance, the wide line puts him on the right side of his lane... A car running wide should put them even further away to his right... The car had to take a shortcut, or the rider was cutting a tight line to cause a collision.

Personally, I've heard of this wide line to see theory before, and I do quite often apply this on corner entries, but only so I can stay tight against the corner until such a point that I can see the exit...

falcon
25-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Did I say cars running wide? :huh: Woops, I meant cutting the corner...