PDA

View Full Version : R1 not starting in Thornlie

DreamTheater
27-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Hey guys,

Stuck at the Thornlie caltex at Thornlie square shops :(

Filled the r1 up with fuel and it wouldn't start after that, recently it has ha some issues starting but after trying everything I can think of It still won't start

I've checked the killswitch, fuel switch and even battery connections

If anyone's nearby with jumper leads or something that can assist it'd be much appreciated

You can get me on 04********

Cheers,
Graham

DreamTheater
27-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Battery is also pretty much flat from an hr of intermittently trying to start it

DreamTheater
27-09-2011, 04:20 PM
All Sorted now cheers

speed3
27-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Never mind just saw you've got it sorted

DreamTheater
27-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the offer to help :)

A mate came down who lives around the corner & started it with jumper leads and it started first go no worries

then...

he leaves and I go to leave and stupidly I put it into first with the stand still down so it cuts the engine and I can't start it again!!

Lucky he came back & jumped it again & now I'm home

Time for a new battery

Cbr Junkie
27-09-2011, 06:12 PM
You should check why it went flat in the first place!

DreamTheater
27-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah that's a good idea, sometimes the bike has trouble starting when it's hot.. I went for a 5 hr country ride on Sunday and it started no worries all the time though so it's a bit random.. I did a few google searches and the most common issue was the battery followed by starter motor or wiring - wiring looks okay under the seat and hopefuly the battery fixes it and it isn't a starter motor issue

Hewie
27-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I had a similar issue on one of my R1s. In the end it turned out to be the stator needed to be replaced. Since then I havent had an issue. The constant heat cycling had caused the magnets to delaminate from the stator assembly and they were all stuck to the inside of the rotor assembly.

DreamTheater
28-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Ouch, that's no good.. hopefuly mine's only the battery.. if it is the stator it might be worth buying a new engine with low k's as my clutch is slipping a bit and it's close to 90,000k's too.

Mines an '01 R1 too if that makes any difference

Hewie
28-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Why would you buy a new engine ?

Just get a stator from the wreckers and replace the clutch plates. :)

If you do buy a new engine Ill take yours off your hand for $50 .. ;)

DreamTheater
28-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I found some clutch plates for $50 which I'm picking up tonight & i'll probably swap those over on Saturday and hopefully the stator is okay

Yeah I was thinking of building a go kart if I do replace the engine, it'd be an awesome project and lots of fun if/when it's finished :D

R1 turbo quad sounds insane! a planned future build? :P