PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been in the Navy?

eXume
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Was wondering if anyone has been there and done it and how it turned out for them. Any Navy experience is good just want an idea on what life is like in it.

I know its not motorcycle related but this is the biggest group of people i know so why not ask.
Please dont whore it out, just facts and experience.

Thanks all.

MartinB
11-01-2006, 03:23 PM
I was in the Army for 15 years and spent alot of time on Navy ships doing stuff which I can't talk about because I would have to kill you. :D But seriously I recon you can't go wrong with any of the 3 services. Just do 4 years or whatever and enjoy the experience.

TurboR1
11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Couldnt get used to the soddomy so i quit.
Sorry everyone couldnt help it.

Talk to Gonz1, you get to see the world and get paid for it.... down side is you could go to war and die.

CB Boy
11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah, what Martin said.
I was in the Army for 8 years and my only regret is I didn't do a trade.
Any of the services are good as long as you get a qualification in something. Anything to do with electronics is good and should set you up for life.

Speak to Trev.....he spent a while in the Navy.

8-ball
11-01-2006, 03:47 PM
I had to do national service and spent 2 and a half years in the army...not sure about the service here but I would imagine a fair amount of regimented lifestyle, especially at basic...you sure you want to do it?

I must say though, after I finished with the army, I admit that I really enjoyed it, but during my service, the training was really tough...hence didnt like it

Barfridge
11-01-2006, 03:55 PM
May dad was in the navy, and loved it. But this was 1945-1951, so things may have changed a little bit. He was working on that new fangled radar thingy, set him up for a career as a radio engineer.

tigerleo
11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
My old lady's partner was in the Merchant Marine during WWII - which is probably quite different - but he has some very fond memories at a later age to look back on and at 79 is still one very fit and strong man despite some pretty serious operations due to a back problem (unrelated to his service) etc.

Guess what I am trying to say is that the lifestyle he had in his young adult years certainly toughened him up to be able live to a fairly ripe old age while still being very active and healthy.

Dazza996
11-01-2006, 04:07 PM
yes I was in the navy for 5 1/2 yrs and air force for 3 yrs. I loved the navy until I got married then had hard time cos I was always away at sea but it was great. I tried to join up again a few yrs ago when I found out what a cook just off course was getting paid to what i was getting paid at that time and doing the job of a higher rank outside.

Basically go for it, good money with all the free benefits of medical and dental and plenty of opputunities to go away overseas, if you want to get even more money quicker and you dont get panic attacks for being in confined spaces for long periods of time then get onto subs.

Good luck B)

eXume
11-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks all for your input.

Campo
11-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Spent 5 and a half years with the navy. Got out in Jan last year. If you do it, go for Avionics for sure!!

Great work, great people. I enjoyed it, but like all jobs, there's shit parts as well. Don't take to much notice of initial traing because once you've done all your courses and training and get out there, it's completly different and really enjoyable.

If I had my time again, I'd go into Navy aviation or submarines. Great money and when you get out later you'll have some awesome qualifications.

PM me if you want some more details.

ChOOkiE
11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
are the ADF salaries tax free??

I know the reserves are but not sure about full time employees.

Campo
11-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by ChOOkiE@Jan 11 2006, 04:57 PM
are the ADF salaries tax free??

I know the reserves are but not sure about full time employees.

Nope, you pax tax on salary unless your in a war zone. Then you get tax free pay and port allowance and other incentives. There's heaps of benefits and lots they don't tell you about as well.

Gotta do ya research!

Dubs
11-01-2006, 05:09 PM
http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/img/toss-your-own-salad.jpg

Dubs

horse
11-01-2006, 05:11 PM
whats the age cut off at now? last i saw it was 27

Campo
11-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by horse@Jan 11 2006, 05:11 PM
whats the age cut off at now? last i saw it was 27

I'm pretty sure it's 35 now. I remember we were all notified about it a couple of years ago.

GORCAT
11-01-2006, 06:07 PM
10.5 years surface and 2.5 years with the boats.............. did my time in the engine rooms

got a trade, stayed fit and healthy, still in better nick than most 46 year olds, never been out of a job unless I wanted to be

and also the added incentive of spending time with some great people, there are always a few tossers in the mix but in general it is all good...........

as my grandfather told me when I signed up,

do not expect anyone to thank you for it
there is always some other bugger doing it tougher than you
if your offsider is in the shit, get yer boots dirty and help him out, even if ya hate his guts on a personal level
if you are in the shit, cop it on the chin and get on with it.

good luck

Gonz1
11-01-2006, 06:24 PM
gees Campo, i cant believe you said to go Birdie, stuff working on helo's man, they get stuck out at Waga or Nowra(east coast, next to f!@# all!) and will only ever know one type of craft and get bugger all sea time! air crewie maybe but not Birdie!!
I served 7 years as a Marine Tech (MT M) and just got out July last year, loved it, miss it a little but mostly missing my mates and hitting the piss with them all overseas.
go electrical, when you get out you'll have half a trade or more, just need to finish off some modules at Tafe to be civi qualified if you didnt get it out of the navy, like 33kV High Power and stuff like that.
Its a good life and the money is good(depending on what you do now!), if you can look past the bullshit and your eager to do well youll have no worries!

Good luck!
Gonz. ;)

oh!...and to join you must know all the words to the Village People's "In the navy!", and secondly, remember!, your only gay if ya like it!!! :P

bleekerism
11-01-2006, 06:40 PM
i have a sister who is a combat systems operator on the tawoomba atm shes been in for 6 or so years she reckons best lifestyle i also have a little brother whose going threw the fun and games of enlisting now hes going in as a cso aswell because they are really desperate for them and you have a chance of coming back to perth which in most jobs you dont

Campo
11-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by bleekerism@Jan 11 2006, 06:40 PM
i have a sister who is a combat systems operator on the tawoomba atm shes been in for 6 or so years she reckons best lifestyle i also have a little brother whose going threw the fun and games of enlisting now hes going in as a cso aswell because they are really desperate for them and you have a chance of coming back to perth which in most jobs you dont

I was a CSO and a lot of it was pretty crap. In all honesty, I wouldn't go in as a CSO mainly because if you come out after your time, you're not qualified to do anything outside of the navy.

If you go in, make sure you do something that'll get you somewhere outside because once you've done a few years, you'll probably want to get out and go to bigger and better things.

bleekerism
11-01-2006, 06:54 PM
depends what type of person u are campo i cant see my sister leaving the nevy anytime in the next few decades so for some people u dont need to come out

i think there screaming for et's at the moment too

CRB
11-01-2006, 07:02 PM
always been keen but never got round to it...

but as far as i know its a great career go for it i say...

offtheshelf
11-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by CRB@Jan 11 2006, 07:02 PM
always been keen but never got round to it...

but as far as i know its a great career go for it i say...

agree with Craig on this one...

go at it ex, ya can't go wrong...

Better pay than most apprentices, best training in Australia, Awesome tools, great travel... Health, education and everything is paid for... What more could you want out of a job bro...

Monty
11-01-2006, 07:32 PM
i was all up for joining army after school never did and regret it now went to career counsillor wanted it to be my life i look back and now i have kid and missus i find it to hard to go into now im older. DO IT i was cadet for 4 years to get the taste then screwed my life around when younger and didnt do anything

Gryphen
11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Spent 20yrs in the RAAF.

Enjoyed my time in, kinda get used to being 'babysat' and looked after all the time.

Would NEVER go back in.

Earning a helluva lot more money now I'm out.

So my suggestion is to do the minimum time, get a trade, leave and get a real job.

FJ Steve
11-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Gryphen@Jan 11 2006, 09:06 PM
Spent 20yrs in the RAAF.

Enjoyed my time in, kinda get used to being 'babysat' and looked after all the time.

Would NEVER go back in.

Earning a helluva lot more money now I'm out.

So my suggestion is to do the minimum time, get a trade, leave and get a real job.

Finally some comon sense... :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Seriously tho'....you do know why the Defence Forces rely on the stars don't you? NO?
Well, the Navy are guided by the stars.....the army sleeps under the stars.....and the Air Force...well we chose our accommodation by the number of stars.
RAAF is better!

****awaits post bombardment and possible removal of post...AGAIN!****

Brendon
11-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Im with Gryphens advice, do your minimum time and come off with a good trade certificate, work for a company for a few years then start up ur own business. you'll be set!!!

I tried signing up for the navy. went through the whole process in perth city took 5 hours, and right at the end got denied entry because i am allergic to Asprin... ASPRIN DAMMIT, same went for the army... these buggers are beggin for troops etc, and turn a man down for being allergic to asprin... dont they carry panadol :P

Best of luck to ya brad!!

eXume
12-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Would rather be on water than land sorry boys.
Unlucky about your allergy brendo, can imagine how you found that one out. Hopefully they dont test for being a slack prick :lol:

Otherwise great insight, thanks fellas.

FJ Steve
12-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by eXume@Jan 12 2006, 01:14 AM
Would rather be on water than land sorry boys.

At least in the RAAF...we send the bosses to war. We stay home to dry beds...hot meals and showers...can't get much better than that!

Nero Diablo
12-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I was in the Airforce for 8 years did the Avioncs Electronics thing. The qualification is not worth the paper its printed on. I got really sick of working on equipment that was older than I was. If you are intrested in electronics/instruments I suggest you find yourself a dual ticket aprentiship you will be far better off in the long run, it shouldn't be too hard at the moment with the skills shortage etc etc.
I'm also now on more money doing a pretty basic job than I was in a supervisory role after 8 years in the airforce.

Look at it be fairly critical

Don't hang around for too long

If you walk into the recuriting office and they run the old we don't have any postions for those but you can do this then remuster, tell them stick it where it fits or you'll wait till they do have an appropiate postion. Remustering is a lot harder than they make out and they have a quota to fill.

It was intresting but I should of pulled the pin about three years before I did when I joined youth unemployment was around 38% no one was putting on apprentices and 15years latter they are moaning about a lack of trades people.

Campo
12-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Nero Diablo@Jan 12 2006, 07:59 AM
I was in the Airforce for 8 years did the Avioncs Electronics thing. The qualification is not worth the paper its printed on. I got really sick of working on equipment that was older than I was. If you are intrested in electronics/instruments I suggest you find yourself a dual ticket aprentiship you will be far better off in the long run, it shouldn't be too hard at the moment with the skills shortage etc etc.
I'm also now on more money doing a pretty basic job than I was in a supervisory role after 8 years in the airforce.

Look at it be fairly critical

Don't hang around for too long

If you walk into the recuriting office and they run the old we don't have any postions for those but you can do this then remuster, tell them stick it where it fits or you'll wait till they do have an appropiate postion. Remustering is a lot harder than they make out and they have a quota to fill.

It was intresting but I should of pulled the pin about three years before I did when I joined youth unemployment was around 38% no one was putting on apprentices and 15years latter they are moaning about a lack of trades people.

Couldn't have said it any better. I know that the avionics guys in the RAN are getting higher qualifications now because they'll answerable to the Civil Aviation & Safety Authority so all the navy techs must have the same level of qualification as civvy avionics techs.

And like nero said, if they tell you "come in as a CSO and you can then do a category chance" well it's a feed of shit.

Everyone is leaving the CSO category in the navy and they're so short that they're taking on reservists and putting them back on ships.

I joined as a CSO with the intention of going to submarines. They said I could transfere after 2 years. While I was in, I was constantly told that the CSO category is to short in personnel so they wouldn't let me go.

If they don't offer you what you want, walk out and wait for them to call you.....yes they'll call you within a few days because we're so short on numbers within the ADF as a whole.

Do your time, get the experience and qualifications then get out after you've done your 6 years (unless you enjoy it of course).

Most RAN birdies I know who have left the puss are now earning 3 to 4 times more than what they were earning in he navy. Plus they have 9 to 5 jobs, don't go away for months at a time and work for some pretty good companies or departments like RFDS, Wespac Rescue, Woodside etc.

Good luck with it all and like I said, PM me if you wanna talk more about it.

bone_peeler
12-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Did six years as a stoker.

Worth joining just for the up top trips.

Middle east wasn't bad either.

Nhoj
12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Did my time in the Navy as an ETW (electronic technical weapons), great life, heaps of travel and some great mates for life

Go for it :D

Tex
13-01-2006, 10:41 PM
hmmmm

The pretty boys in blue (the RAAF ) well yeah they sent their officers out to fight and get to sleep in a bed every night....not exactly the adrenalin packed life ....unless you're one of the officers (the Dark Side) ;)

As for the Navy.....well it's your officers in wartime that make all the decisions....so you'll be able to thank the captain for his F%$KED up decision as you tread water together waiting to be rescued ! I could never get use to watching navy guys lean into the port/starboard bulkhead ..depending on which side the missle was going to hit ! :blink: WTF

At the end of the day I'm biased....it'll always be Army. B)

but any of the three services will have you learning heaps ...having a world of fun....and walking away with some of the best memories of your life ! Go for it, if you have a spine and can handle a bit of discipline you'll enjoy it, and it's only going to make you a better person.

At least if you go to the RAAF or the NAVY you won't have to worry about getting killed ....they don't get close enough to the action ! :P

ScratchPervert
14-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Ha ha ha :lol:

HA HA HA

I went out with a Navy Boy (I stress the word boy) for nearly 2 years, I think if you can outdrink an elephant, screw everything that walks and manage to iron a uniform without needing to phone your mother, then the navy is your forte.

Mind you there are perks, the women , the travel and the friendship that usually comes from living on ships / submarines with a majority of "males" for up to six month or longer. :o

Check out the defence site

I think it's

www.navyboyslovetehgoat\ranmummysboys.com

or something like that

At least you get paid well !!!! (but is it enough for the teasings?) :blink:

Gryphen
15-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Tex@Jan 13 2006, 10:41 PM
At least if you go to the RAAF or the NAVY you won't have to worry about getting killed ....they don't get close enough to the action ! :P

Shit and there i was using the tracker dogs to find the enemy so it was safe for the army boys to come into the area... for a RAFFie I musta been miles off course, lol. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tex
15-01-2006, 09:13 PM
yeah ...good point ....you Raafies never were much chop with a map !! Well not from ground level !! :P :P

And now really ........I've seen Raaf dogs in action .....they struggle to find their own ass ....but geez they can Bite !! :blink: ;)

Gryphen
15-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Tex@Jan 15 2006, 09:13 PM
yeah ...good point ....you Raafies never were much chop with a map !! Well not from ground level !! :P :P

And now really ........I've seen Raaf dogs in action .....they struggle to find their own ass ....but geez they can Bite !! :blink: ;)

Well Tex the problem with the maps was you guys keeps using Mils instead of LAT/LONG like all sensible people.

Well as to the RAAF Dog being unable to find his own ass, musta been a poor dog, coz my three were excellent trackers and wind scenters. Tracked an escape convict in Darwin, over 11 miles, lead the coppers right to a set of tyre prints. Coppers eventually recaptured the guy and also jailed the guy that helped him, matched the tyre patterns from where MAL lost the scent. Oh yer and the track meant I had to swim across a small river... in Darwin... In the Wet season... withe them bloody big reptiles around. (Actually didn't think about it till i was halfway across)

As to being good on the bite... got the scars to prove that one myself.

Rockstar
18-01-2006, 09:24 AM
I am in the Navy at the moment, and signed on again for another 4 years. It is like any job has its ups and down but it is all worth it when you rock up in your fav port . It is a secure job and good money (better when u go to the middle east), free medical and dential goes good aswell. What to join up as, well thats up to the individual like some one said go to the site and see what you like, NOTE: it will not be a glamours as what they advertise there is a hint of propaghanda in every thing milatary. hahah. :)

Nero Diablo
18-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by TREPIDATION1000@Jan 18 2006, 09:24 AM
I there is a hint of propaghanda in every thing milatary. hahah. :)

A hint! thats beyond masterful understament. Propogander is the mitlitaries No1 activity those inside it get the most. The defence exercises going overseas to various places training people to possibly fight in a war thats all just a by product of what they really do. Cynical who me! :rolleyes:

Rockstar
18-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Nero Diablo@Jan 18 2006, 09:33 AM
A hint! thats beyond masterful understament. Propogander is the mitlitaries No1 activity those inside it get the most. The defence exercises going overseas to various places training people to possibly fight in a war thats all just a by product of what they really do. Cynical who me! :rolleyes:

Good call.

That a farrking good call. :lol: