PDA

View Full Version : DRZ400/KLX400 owners - 2nd question

Ken Oath
16-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Didn't want to hijack the thread started by UPG asking about licensing.

My question is about battery life. A mate is selling his, and while he's yet to set a price, the battery consistently goes flat. He's bought several batteries, and a trickle charger.
Yet if it isn't ridden every day, the battery goes flat.

Anyone else had this problem??? Is it a typical issue with these bikes?? an easy fix?? or is his just a dud???

Cheers

upg
16-03-2012, 06:35 PM
could be one of two things

1. batt not charging
2. something draining battery

heading out now. can describe in more detail later

emrys74
16-03-2012, 06:53 PM
check stator and regulator rectifier

Sonik
16-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Grab a multimeter, set on DC volts and connect to the battery. You should see around 12.5V with the bike off and around 13-14V with the bike running, otherwise your stator and/or regulator/rectifier is borked. If that tests OK then disconnect the positive lead from the battery (with the bike off) and set your multimeter to DC amps and connect in series with the battery and positive lead and see how much current is flowing with the bike off. You shouldn't see more than a few milliamps unless something is still using power and then you will need to start disconnecting things until you can pinpoint where.

filbert
16-03-2012, 07:27 PM
my first battery lasted 6 months ridden daily from new, this battery has been in there 4 and a half years on trickle charger when sitting for more than a few days and still fine.

Ken Oath
16-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys. Wil wait and see his price. Tks again.

mekon
16-03-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm on my second reg/rec and 2nd battery in less than 2 years, daily ride. Soon to be either 3rd of one or the other.

mekon
17-03-2012, 01:59 PM
battery died, had on charger last night fine but low low crank amps, dead battery. 6 months old went back to McCulloch's Suzuki and swapped as was warranty. Brian there mentioned this happens a bit with the drz's small guage wire back to the battery, might look at replacing from the reg/rec out. Brilliant place that McCulloch zook store.