PDA

View Full Version : Obama vs Romney

Dr. Venkman
07-11-2012, 07:01 AM
It's election day over there and I though might be a good idea to get PSB's opinion on them.

Personally I hope Obama wins, the country needs him, if Romney wins it will be good for the republicans, they will be able to get the fruit loop tea partyists out at of the party at the next election and they will be almost normal.

Sventek
07-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Here's something that a good friend of mine in Florida sent me:

Obama will win. Sadly, he's done NOTHING for this country, but Romney is a dangerous, self-centered moron who is so OUT OF TOUCH with the people as to be unelectable. Funny enough, the republicans had NO WAY of losing this election.... OBAMA IS HATED but most folks "WITH A BRAIN" in our country, but, once again, the Republicans have found 2 UNELECTABLE people to put on the ballot. Of course, no one would want to be President in our country at this point in time.

AZAZL
07-11-2012, 07:11 AM
hehe, normal being a possible president who is a member of a cult founded less than a couple of hundred years ago by someone who had psychotic visions of sky gods wandering around the bush.

chew
07-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Here's something that a good friend of mine in Florida sent me:

Obama will win. Sadly, he's done NOTHING for this country, but Romney is a dangerous, self-centered moron who is so OUT OF TOUCH with the people as to be unelectable. Funny enough, the republicans had NO WAY of losing this election.... OBAMA IS HATED but most folks "WITH A BRAIN" in our country, but, once again, the Republicans have found 2 UNELECTABLE people to put on the ballot. Of course, no one would want to be President in our country at this point in time.

I find that a little contradictory in that one hand the criticism of Obama for doing nothing and in the same breath arguing that it is an impossible job.

What is he to do with a hostile congress determined to unsettle the administration?

It would be nice if they got their shit together over there and prevent the next wave of chaos.

The adversarial system of government is on the road to nowhere.

Our friends pre teen daughter was going to get a Romney mask and go trick or treating on Halloween but instead just say "I've come for your women's rights"

Maxo
07-11-2012, 07:40 AM
They're both puppets. It won't matter.

AndyS
07-11-2012, 07:49 AM
What a time to be the President of the US or most European nations.
Their economies are in free fall and no amount of posturing and great speeches will change a thing.

DreamTheater
07-11-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm not that into politics but I reckon Obama will win & I'd vote for him.

For his first election in to the white house I'd be interested to know how many votes he had based on the fact he'd be the first "black president".
I don't mean that in a racist way or anything but I think the figures would be interesting.

pley3r
07-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Romney is just inbred white trash. He is a bad excuse for a person let alone a president.
The thing that gets me with all those that say Obama has done nothing. Everytime he wants to change something or try and do something to 'fix' things, congress shoots him in the foot.

Ryven
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
What a time to be the President of the US or most European nations.
Their economies are in free fall and no amount of posturing and great speeches will change a thing.
^ Pretty much.

Romney is out of touch with the general voting public, which will hurt him in the polls. However, their current government is a lot like our own, financially incompetent. What the US of A needs right now is a leader who will prevent them from being crushed under their massive debt. No amount of kissing babies and promise of good will to all men is going to save them from a complete collapse. I honestly think looking back in 20 years, they'll be much happier if they chose the dick who kept them afloat over the moron who they found to be a nicer guy. Then again, they'll probably moan about either one.

chew
07-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Debt is only a problem if you cant service it. The U.S.A. is not there yet.

http://mktg343.pbworks.com/f/c280tax.jpg

ReCon
07-11-2012, 08:32 AM
One time the Devil you know might just be the best way to vote...

Maxo
07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Romney is just inbred white trash. He is a bad excuse for a person let alone a president.
The thing that gets me with all those that say Obama has done nothing. Everytime he wants to change something or try and do something to 'fix' things, congress shoots him in the foot.

ahahah, fix

Obama wins right to indefinitely detain Americans under NDAA — RT (http://rt.com/usa/news/obama-lohier-ndaa-stay-414/)

no.

as for romney,

inbred white trash? no.
Mormon polygamist family that's in a war with the drug cartels in mexico? yes!

George Romney, born on polygamist colony, touted as immigrant success | The Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/54799169-90/romney-born-george-craig.html.csp)

speed3
07-11-2012, 08:48 AM
To be fair Obama has tried to get some good legislation through congress, some shit ones too but someone has to keep the 'took mah jherbs' brigade happy.

Meh, voted Obabymama purely because I hate religious types having political influence

thro
07-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Its very much like choosing between 2 venereal diseases.

Obama can talk to the talk, but he's actually DONE fuck all to fix anything, hasn't kept any of his promises, etc. He's as bad or worse than bush - he just has charisma, that's all.

Romney? He's a fruit loop.

edit:
and yeah, both puppets of the fed / military industrial complex.

Sventek
07-11-2012, 08:51 AM
33:3 in favour of Romney at the moment.

shmoo
07-11-2012, 08:52 AM
33:3 in favour of Romney at the moment.
Yeah but they havent got to the important states.

I'm on the Q train into Times Square right now. ETA 12 minutes.

Friends don't let friends vote for Romney.

agrid
07-11-2012, 09:10 AM
I would call myself a Democrat (most scientists in America are), you friend in Florida is just spouting the usual Republican diatribe. If Obama wins they will claim the election was rigged and the media was against them.

g0zer
07-11-2012, 09:20 AM
i didnt realise he was a mormon, i want to change my vote. its about time the mormons got control of the whitehouse. fuck the mission to mars its time NASA went to kolob!

Dr. Venkman
07-11-2012, 09:28 AM
ABC iview has a live stream :

ABC iview (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/597007)

latest results :

Obama 33 (Vermont, Illinois, Conneticut, Delaware)

Romney 29 (Kentucky, West Virginia, Sth Carolina, Oklahoma)

shan
07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Obama has been backing drone development and covert operations more and more
He never in his wildest dreams thought a drone would come after him in the form or Romney
Ironic somewhat

thro
07-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Thousands report voting problems | Politics Blog | an SFGate.com blog (http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2012/11/06/thousands-report-voting-problems/)

Some NC Touch Screen Voting Machines Cast Wrong Ballots | The Raleigh Telegram (http://raleightelegram.com/201211063793)

lol

mcmurray
07-11-2012, 09:51 AM
RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Videos and Polls (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/)

agrid
07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
The Germans have a pretty realistic view.

Destroyed by Total Capitalism
America Has Already Lost Tuesday's Election

A Commentary by Jakob Augstein

Germans see the US election as a battle between the good Obama and the evil Romney. But this is a mistake. Regardless of who wins the election on Tuesday, total capitalism is America's true ruler, and it has the power to destroy the country.

The United States Army is developing a weapon that can reach -- and destroy -- any location on Earth within an hour. At the same time, power lines held up by wooden poles dangle over the streets of Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey. Hurricane Sandy ripped them apart there and in communities across the East Coast last week, and many places remain without electricity. That's America, where high-tech options are available only to the elite, and the rest live under conditions comparable to a those of a developing nation. No country has produced more Nobel Prize winners, yet in New York City hospitals had to be evacuated during the storm because their emergency generators didn't work properly.

Anyone who sees this as a contradiction has failed to grasp the fact that America is a country of total capitalism. Its functionaries have no need of public hospitals or of a reliable power supply to private homes. The elite have their own infrastructure. Total capitalism, however, has left American society in ruins and crippled the government. America's fate is not just an accident produced by the system. It is a consequence of that system.
Obama couldn't change this, and Romney wouldn't be able to either. Europe is mistaken if it views the election as a choice between the forces of good and evil. And it certainly doesn't amount to a potential change in political direction as some newspapers on the Continent would have us believe.

A Powerless President

Romney, the exceedingly wealthy business man, and Obama, the cultivated civil rights lawyer, are two faces of a political system that no longer has much to do with democracy as we understand it. Democracy is about choice, but Americans don't really have much of a choice. Obama proved this. Nearly four years ago, it seemed like a new beginning for America when he took office. But this was a misunderstanding. Obama didn't close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp, nor did he lift immunity for alleged war criminals from the Bush-era, or regulate the financial markets, and climate change was hardly discussed during the current election campaign. The military, the banks, industry -- the people are helpless in the face of their power, as is the president.

Not even credit default swaps, the kind of investment that brought down Lehman Brothers and took Western economies to the brink, has been banned or even better regulated. It is likely the case that Obama wanted to do more, but couldn't. But what role does that play in the bigger picture?

We want to believe that Obama failed because of the conservatives inside his own country. Indeed, the fanatics that Mitt Romney depends on have jettisoned everything that distinguishes the West: science and logic, reason and moderation, even simple decency. They hate homosexuals, the weak and the state. They oppress women and persecute immigrants. Their moralizing about abortion doesn't even spare the victims of rape. They are the Taliban of the West.

The Winner Makes No Difference to Europe

Still, they are only the symptom of America's failure, not the cause. In reality, neither the idealists and Democrats, nor the useful idiots of the Tea Party have any power over the circumstances.

From a European perspective, it doesn't matter who wins this election. Only US foreign policy is important to us -- and Obama is no dove and Romney no hawk. The incumbent president prefers to wage his wars with drones instead of troops, though the victims probably don't care if they're killed by man or machine. Meanwhile, despite all the criticism, his challenger says he wouldn't join Israel were the country to go to war with Iran because the US can now no longer afford such a thing.

In any case, it is wrong to characterize Republicans as the party of warmongers and Democrats as the party of peace -- or even to call the latter a left-wing party at all. After all, it was Democratic presidents Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson who started the wars in Korea and Vietnam. Republican presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower and Richard Nixon ended these wars. And Ronald Reagan, who Europeans see as the embodiment of both the evil and absurd aspects of American politics, was a peaceful man compared to the standards we have since become accustomed to. He only ever invaded Grenada.
The truth is that we simply no longer understand America. Looking at the country from Germany and Europe, we see a foreign culture. The political system is in the hands of big business and its lobbyists. The checks and balances have failed. And a perverse mix of irresponsibility, greed and religious zealotry dominate public opinion.

The downfall of the American empire has begun. It could be that the country's citizens wouldn't be able to stop it no matter how hard they tried. But they aren't even trying.

thro
07-11-2012, 10:08 AM
^^ that.

BenG
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
It amazes me that in the 21st Century that the Republicans can continue to campaign on the same old 1800s policies and poll approximately half of the votes...

Then again; Alabama, Texas, and various other states haven't caught on that its the 21st Century yet...

WhiteNoize
07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Tbh i think USA was a better country back in the 1800s, so i see the appeal.

Maxo
07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Tbh i think USA was a better country back in the 1800s, so i see the appeal.

Prior to settlement?

Professor Redfern
07-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Here comes the Obama train. Its a sea of red but Obama should start powering through from here on in.

I hope......

http://edition.cnn.com/election/2012/results/main?hpt=elec_flippertkr

WhiteNoize
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Prior to settlement?

I believe it peaked between the constitution being signed and began its decline in 1913.

WhiteNoize
07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I also hope romney wins.

Just for lulz at the people that still think theres a difference between the parties.

shan
07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
To my simple mind its like capitolizem has devoured a demorcacy and turned it into Fascist ruleing by the doller,
Capitolist dont care for the people, Democracy has solled out to bribery,
There system is very ill indeed

devolved
07-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Although I am happy to go with the German article above, I do have a preference for Obama - Why? Well at least he shows a modicum of compassion - at 'home' at least. Those Drones don't seem very compassionate....

Watching the count is a little depressing.

On a brighter note .... Norks AHOY!

Possibly NSFW

http://nude-celebs.info/wp-content/uploads/reader-finds-keeley-hazell-perfect-boobs-aly-michalka-bikini-body-perfection-lene-nystrom-sex-scene-and-lily-allen-boob-slip-1.jpg

Taylor
07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I get a horrible feeling that Mitt Romney will push the buttons and sign the papers that puts Taylor in a uniform in some shithole defending Israel's sovereignty.

Professor Redfern
07-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I also hope romney wins.

Just for lulz at the people that still think theres a difference between the parties.

The issue at stake here isnt necesarily the difference in the parties and outcomes, especially considering how the senate works, the issue here is how the average american thinks.

Maxo
07-11-2012, 11:40 AM
how the average american thinks.

I don't want to know.

Old frt
07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
ABC America calling it in BO's favour.
I mean favor.

Taylor
07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
When I was in Hawaii a couple of months ago I ran into a Swedish girl and a couple of South Eastern US guys while out stumbling around drunk one Saturday night.

She was gorgeous, but she had opinions. She had come along with the two Americans, but the entire time I spoke to the guys they were complaining that yes, she was hot, but they didn't think a one night stand would be appropriate because she has firm beliefs about equal pay and radical views about universal free healthcare.

These two guys almost picked a fight with me for buying everyone a drink, saying: "Oh, so you're making an asshole out of me now?" when I indicated that I didn't particularly care if they got the next round, it didn't matter.

Yee-fucking-haa!

Desmo
07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't want to know.

Apparently, neither do they.

g0zer
07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
These two guys almost picked a fight with me

i think too many americans watch too much UFC (and arent used to full strength beer)

Desmo
07-11-2012, 12:14 PM
(and arent used to full strength beer)

The "Lite" in their beer is for actual colour, not ABV.

shan
07-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Obama wins

thro
07-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Although I am happy to go with the German article above, I do have a preference for Obama - Why? Well at least he shows a modicum of compassion - at 'home' at least. Those Drones don't seem very compassionate....

Obama has v2.0 of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field (tm).

What he says and what he does are two entirely different things.

But as above it doesn't really matter who wins. Its just a side-show to keep the populace thinking they have modicum of control over their leadership - whoever ends up in power will continue to be told what to do by those who fund them.

Sventek
07-11-2012, 12:19 PM
The Democrats are doing better than expected in the Senate.

shan
07-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Obama has v2.0 of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field (tm).

What he says and what he does are two entirely different things.

But as above it doesn't really matter who wins. Its just a side-show to keep the populace thinking they have modicum of control over their leadership - whoever ends up in power will continue to be told what to do by those who fund them.

ummm Obama won

agrid
07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Obama hits 274, he's home

Eugene
07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm not American or anything, so I do not know exactly what's going on with politics there, but I like Obama, He'd have my vote...
It's not because he's black or anything, he's just good at doing presidential things. And I like the way he talks.

thro
07-11-2012, 12:25 PM
ummm Obama won

Still doesn't mean he's in control of the country any more than yesterday :D (or any more than Romney is, for that matter).

For an example of what happens when the president has outrageous views that are incompatible with big business/military in the US: see kennedy.

Professor Redfern
07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Well Fox News has called an Obama win so that must really make it official.

Uncle Stinky
07-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Well Fox News has called an Obama win so that must really make it official.

Projection based win

AliastheJester
07-11-2012, 12:33 PM
When Fox calls an election you may as well consider official, see 2000 Bush vs. Gore.

agrid
07-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Obama tweeted "four more years", he seems rather confident about the projection based win.

agrid
07-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Not sure if this is a piss-take or not.

Bush accidently votes for Obama:
George Bush Accidently Votes For Obama | The Daily Currant (http://dailycurrant.com/2012/11/06/george-bush-accidently-votes-obama/)

"Yes unfortunately because of the incompetence of the folks who designed the ballot, my vote counted for the other guy," Bush responded. He then attempted to explain exactly how the mishap occurred:
"First of all, everything was very mismaladjusted on the screen. You shouldn't put the senators and the congresspeople and the presidents all jumbled together like that. It's too crowded. Just confuses folks."
Bush then explained that after marking the wrong candidate, he sought to correct his error by clicking the red "Cast Ballot" button, thinking that it was designed to 'cast away' the ballot and bring up a fresh one:
"Usually red means stop and green means go. I thought I was stopping"

Professor Redfern
07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Projection based win

Thats why I said "called" the win. Not "Obama has won."

chew
07-11-2012, 01:11 PM
290 out of 538 means that Obama has won.

The interesting thing is currently 49 Senate seats vs 44, two more seats and the Democrats have a majority.

2012 Election Results Map by State - Live Voting Updates - POLITICO.com (http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/)

Roger Explosion
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Very interesting contrast between the two party headquarters and I not just referring to the respective moods.
Democrats: A genuine mix of all cross sections of the community.
Republicans: Snooty house class reunion.
Is the Republican party still very much embodied by the stereotype of the conservative white man, or is that more a reflection of their choice of candidate?

jjgres
07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
It's not over until the lost box of overseas ballots appears, the lawyers square off in court, the voting machines (that Romney owns a piece of) are altered and Florida results are tabulated some time in 2014.

devolved
07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote of the day - heard by a staff member in a certain North Perth motorcycle shop:

"That other guy was a good guy - and they STILL voted for a black president!"

Are we really doing this in 2012?

Interesting to note - Romney wins the popular vote.

Commander Keen
07-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Obama has won or is winning 8 of the 9 swing states.

chew
07-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote of the day - heard by a staff member in a certain North Perth motorcycle shop:

A black woman would have really got him going. ;)

chew
07-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Interesting to note - Romney wins the popular vote.

Popular vote is seesawing still, Obama currently up. We are talking by approx. 0.00005% however.:huh:

Huntsman
07-11-2012, 01:46 PM
2012 Election Results Map by State - Live Voting Updates - POLITICO.com (http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/)

All you really need to know about either candidate is shown in the map of voters IMHO (most of the southern/middle states are redneck right?). Most of the redneck states voted for Romney (probably becasue he is white). I'm not sure how useful Obama is in terms of saving the USA from crashing hard but surely he is better then someone who is comitted to getting rid of abortion and gay marriage. In all the news articles I have flicked through this morning one said that he implied the female body has ways of getting rid of a feotus that was the result of rape, in an argument against abortion. I agree that someone who is heavily invested in any sort of religion has no place in politics (see Tony Abbot).

WhiteNoize
07-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Thats a fair call.

Id also add that someone heavily invested in politics should ALSO have no place in government.

shmoo
07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
what an awesome experience it has been being here to see it in person.

Commander Keen
07-11-2012, 01:54 PM
And the house is still in the hands of the republicans unfortunately.

Desmo
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
And the house is still in the hands of the republicans unfortunately.

Instead of some lying, arrogant, religious zealot with zero policies?

thro
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
It's not over until the lost box of overseas ballots appears, the lawyers square off in court, the voting machines (that Romney owns a piece of) are altered and Florida results are tabulated some time in 2014.

Jeb bush says no

Commander Keen
07-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Instead of some lying, arrogant, religious zealot with zero policies?

I'm really not sure who you're implying.

Desmo
07-11-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm really not sure who you're implying.

That I would rather see Obama in than a right wing religious zealot?

Seznid
07-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I probably would've voted for Gary Johnson, tbh.

Mr John
07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mak1fkUKPi1rw9dz1o1_r1_500.png

Desmo
07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197036_371506429601705_1110444482_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s480x480/46059_371513722934309_1670539859_n.jpg

filbert
07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
The US is still an Obamanation and those who Barack for Romney are revolting.....

Commander Keen
07-11-2012, 04:58 PM
That I would rather see Obama in than a right wing religious zealot?

I agree.

Romney is a republican, just in case you misunderstood my original post.

g0zer
07-11-2012, 05:10 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lntolj48Rv1qaezqco1_500.gif

president comacho drinks pepsi

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Files/Household/Sports%20and%20Outdoor%20Living%20Products/PU-Ball/PU-Pepsi-Ball-22374555386.jpg

GreenMeanie
07-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Congrats to the President on his second term.

jjgres
07-11-2012, 07:56 PM
You guys are safe from invasion for a few years anyway......

Jamathi
07-11-2012, 08:57 PM
The chocolate Jesus pretender will hog this once great country completely to the Chineese
It is already full blown financial basket case and will be a burned out South Africa clone very soon!
Racism on a grand election scale just like South Africa!
The trouble with socialism is that eventualy you run out of the other people's money!

shmoo
07-11-2012, 10:35 PM
as much as i hate the typical USA USA USA chant the yanks seem to love so much, it was pretty cool in Times Square last night with however many thousands of people yelling it out. USA USA USA. 4 MORE YEARS 4 MORE YEARS 4 MORE YEARS.

Desmo
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
The chocolate Jesus pretender will hog this once great country completely to the Chineese

i love you, Bert.

Dr. Venkman
07-11-2012, 10:49 PM
as much as i hate the typical USA USA USA chant the yanks seem to love so much, it was pretty cool in Times Square last night with however many thousands of people yelling it out. USA USA USA. 4 MORE YEARS 4 MORE YEARS 4 MORE YEARS.

You sure they weren't drunk and chanting "Four more beers"?

Skut
07-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I think the majority of the planet (except maybe Pakistan and Israel) are breathing a collective sigh of relief.

Am I optimistic in thinking the USA voting voice is becoming a little more progressive?

Obama may feel a little more empowered this time (and the Republicans might realise their blocking actions are not so popular). A "black" President for a second term (ie the novelty has worn off, and he runs the course on merit) is showing a shift in the general demographic opinion. Considering the Republican political funding efforts that bias the voting, this is a considerable victory.

jjgres
08-11-2012, 04:09 AM
Election is over. Other states all reporting in. Florida still not in with results. I swear, we don't deserve the right to vote in this state.

devolved
08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
YEEE HAAARRRRR - TIME TO BUY UP ON GUNS YAH HEAR! DEYRE GONNA TAKE OUR LAND! etc etc etc

USA - hope of the fearful.

Obama wins, gun stocks soar on Wall Street | watoday.com.au (http://m.watoday.com.au/business/markets/obama-wins-gun-stocks-soar-on-wall-street-20121108-28zcq.html)

I mean if Tony Abbott won the election, I would be pissed - but I'm white and almost middle class, so how bad can it get..... and he's far worse than Obama.

Bowlen
08-11-2012, 10:15 AM
It is amazing how we are seeing and hearing people who think that Obama is such a bad decision and everything is going to get even more fucked up...when Obama is and was the best thing to come out of this election!

Dr. Venkman
08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
YEEE HAAARRRRR - TIME TO BUY UP ON GUNS YAH HEAR! DEYRE GONNA TAKE OUR LAND! etc etc etc

USA - hope of the fearful.

Obama wins, gun stocks soar on Wall Street | watoday.com.au (http://m.watoday.com.au/business/markets/obama-wins-gun-stocks-soar-on-wall-street-20121108-28zcq.html)

I mean if Tony Abbott won the election, I would be pissed - but I'm white and almost middle class, so how bad can it get..... and he's far worse than Obama.

You're comparison is a little off, the republicans are more like the libs in their conservative views, the democrats are therefore closer to labor.

The problem Obama has with people saying that he hasn't done anything has a few parts to it, although the Democrats have control in the Senate, the Republicans controlled the last congress by a pretty big majority and basically blocked a lot of good legislation or attached very unattractive riders to to it, another part is that any Republicans who voted in favour of legislation were vilified mercilessly as traitors by the tea partyists.

It would have been almost worth it for the Dem's to tank the election, so that when the Tea Partyist component of the government fucked up so badly that the Dem's would be able to take control and actually fix the problems that currently exist, however to then take on the problems that they would create would be too much. Hopefully when it all shakes out the Dem's will control both houses so the government can actually get things done.

chief wiggum
08-11-2012, 10:34 AM

devolved
08-11-2012, 10:41 AM
You're comparison is a little off, the republicans are more like the libs in their conservative views, the democrats are therefore closer to labor.

My point being - even if the person I didn't want to win the election, won - I could deal with it - without the need for buying a gun and preparing for 'end-times'.

I'm sure more Republican US citizens feel the same, but there is a large proportion who actually feel this is the end-game. They see progress as the destruction of whatever it was they thought they had.

I actually think the Democrats are probably more like our Liberal Party - and the Republicans are off somewhere to the right of the National Party.

Taylor
08-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Greens>Labor>Liberals>Democrats>Republicans

As I see it.

Dr. Venkman
08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
I actually think the Democrats are probably more like our Liberal Party - and the Republicans are off somewhere to the right of the National Party.

Lib/Nat's are the same thing, sad fact is that both sides in federal politics is under the influence of the ACL

Commander Keen
08-11-2012, 11:08 AM

As I see it.

Greens < All other political parties anywhere. Ever.

AliastheJester
08-11-2012, 11:30 AM
What? Greens<Chinese Communist Party<Russian Communist Party<Mussolini's Fascist party<The Nazi Party (The National Socialist German Workers' Party)?

We need a dislike button.

Magilla
08-11-2012, 11:39 AM
What? Greens&lt;Chinese Communist Party&lt;Russian Communist Party&lt;Mussolini's Fascist party&lt;The Nazi Party (The National Socialist German Workers' Party)?

We need a dislike button.

You know what? Looking at the list you presented, I think he's right.

Taylor
08-11-2012, 11:51 AM

As I see it.

Note: Not my political views, just how I see the parties starting at People Friendly crazy going towards Business Friendly crazy.

agrid
08-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Republicans need to realise that pandering to the votes of old white people is just not sustainable.

AliastheJester
08-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Republicans need to realise that pandering to the votes of old white people is just not sustainable.

And that universal suffrage means that the poor, women, 'minorities', gays and lesbians etc. are allowed to vote.

AliastheJester
08-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Just to lighten the mood a bit. :P
US election memes: the best and funniest of the internet &ndash; Blog &ndash; ABC Technology and Games (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2012/11/08/3628527.htm?WT.svl=featuredSitesScroller)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0dnZfV4R_qk

Maxo
08-11-2012, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlwilbVYvUg

jjgres
08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Still waiting on Florida results......

agrid
09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
OBAMA: "Hey Mitt, It's Barack. I have some good news and some bad news"
MITT: "What's the good news"
OBAMA: "I've decided it's time we had a Mormon president"
MITT: "Terrific! What's the bad news?"
OBAMA: "My baptism is on Saturday!"

agrid
02-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Am I the only one here that noticed the other outcome of the election, i.e. the proposition that Californian porn stars must now wear condoms.

Magilla
03-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Am I the only one here that noticed the other outcome of the election, i.e. the proposition that Californian porn stars must now wear condoms.

Warning: porn is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

filbert
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM

the good old People's Republik of Kalifornistan and its illustrious Governator Arnold Schwarzenneger who is apparently 6' tall with 18" biceps yet only comes up to just above my shoulder and i'm 6'4"