PDA

View Full Version : Thieving Little Shits

crowtribe
18-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Last night I was in the shower scrubbing myself down when I heard someone talking outside, about my motorcycle parked up next to the front door, describing it. I thought it was my girlfriend's brother who was over on a phone call out the back, wandering around.

I asked him if he was on a phone call after I got out and got dressed, and he said no, he'd said hello over the fence thinking it was the neighbour he knew, but it turned out to be the 15 year old son (and 2 of his friends) of a woman the neighbour had taken in with a bit of a checkered past drinking out the back. I asked if he'd been talking about my bike with them or anything and he said no, wasn't him, but the kids next door looked dodgy as hell (Source: they look dodgy as hell).

Nervous, I moved the bike into the garage with the help of my girlfriend's brother in the dark, slapped on the Kryptonite Disc Lock and cover, and closed the automatic garage door from inside the house using the remote.

This morning, we were all talking in the kitchen when my partner realised the garage door was wide open. Panicking that my bike had been stolen, I ran in to check, finding it still there, but the cover had been disturbed, and lifted away partly, exposing the front of the bike, specifically where my disc lock and reminder cable were. Both my girlfriend's brother and I watched the garage door close as we were talking, so there's no possibility it's hit an object and reopened or anything.

What do?

darkfibre
18-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Can the garage door be deadlocked?

chew
18-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Go and ask if they saw or heard anything and hint you are a light sleeper after doing 8 years for GBH and manslaughter.

Seriously I would talk to them innocently about if they heard or saw anything to let them know you are prepared to front up if anyone tries to steal from them as well. Because neighbours look after each other and you dont call cops but prefer to deal with thieves on a local level.

Add a hint of malice in your voice for extra effect. ;)

crowtribe
18-11-2012, 08:40 AM
darkfibre - unfortunately not. Usually the bike is Kryptonite chained to a trailer, then disc locked, then cover over it, but a bit more out in the open. After overhearing them last night I thought the garage would be a safer bet that they wouldn't go looking for it if it was suddenly not there.

chew - the woman next door has 2 younger kids and this older 15 year old to different dads. She's a recovering alcoholic and the department of child protection comes and checks up on her randomly to make sure she's not on the sauce. She and her two young kids are fine, it's only the 15 year old who's got a different father making her life difficult. The dad of either him or the 2 young kids visits every few weekends on day release from prison but they've been absolutely no problem at all. 15 year old is risking everything she has by this kind of antic, not to mention the marijuana plants he's growing down the back behind the shed.

Manyak
18-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Well there you go.. One line to solve it all - 'I'd hate for the cops to come investigate my stolen bike and see your plants behind the shed over there!'

chew
18-11-2012, 08:49 AM
darkfibre (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/member.php?u=16944) - unfortunately not. Usually the bike is Kryptonite chained to a trailer, then disc locked, then cover over it, but a bit more out in the open. After overhearing them last night I thought the garage would be a safer bet that they wouldn't go looking for it if it was suddenly not there.

chew (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/member.php?u=5686) - the woman next door has 2 younger kids and this older 15 year old to different dads. She's a recovering alcoholic and the department of child protection comes and checks up on her randomly to make sure she's not on the sauce. She and her two young kids are fine, it's only the 15 year old who's got a different father making her life difficult. The dad of either him or the 2 young kids visits every few weekends on day release from prison but they've been absolutely no problem at all. 15 year old is risking everything she has by this kind of antic, not to mention the marijuana plants he's growing down the back behind the shed.

Beautiful, another poor hard done by human who sounds determined to drag his family down to his level.

Just make sure he is aware you are onto him. Sustained eye contact and the occasional wink.

PSB Party at your place?

Also, what manyak said.

shan
18-11-2012, 08:56 AM
with a bit of thought, one of these could be placed in a sucker location
http://localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au/img/article/304_1.jpg

Desmo
18-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Cut the heads off his plants and put them on his pillow.

Just*Managing
18-11-2012, 09:20 AM
I'd look at changing the frequency on the gge door & reset your own remotes. Sounds like they've managed to pair up another remote (whoever they are)

shmoo
18-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Park your bike in the kitchen.

Jay D
18-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Without going all fancy and going to the expense of camera's and the like, I have purchased an PIR Dectector ($39) which screams out at around 110-130db (louder than most disk locks).

It's mobile, so whether it is in your shed or your garage and runs on 4 AA's. Just another cheap addition to what you already have.

RB 2 11
18-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Without going all fancy and going to the expense of camera's and the like, I have purchased an PIR Dectector ($39) which screams out at around 110-130db (louder than most disk locks).

It's mobile, so whether it is in your shed or your garage and runs on 4 AA's. Just another cheap addition to what you already have.

Had something similar in a shed once. Bloody roaches, mice and moths can set them off we found. Was early days of these things, so maybe (hopefully) they're better now at discriminating out rodents.

shan
18-11-2012, 09:59 AM

With a toilet empty toilet roll (carbord tube) you could make it directional easy enough.

Also I have rabbit traps, hypertheticly if I was to lend them to you would we know be a known criminal organization ?
I will not lend them out BTW (a disclaimer there for any of our finest who may be reading this )

optimal
18-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Cut the heads off his plants and put them on MY pillow.

Fixed!!!!

Nine
18-11-2012, 10:20 AM
I end up having it out with the next door teens. After much gentle negotiating that failed, I intimidated the fuck out of the kids and told their dad that if their was anymore bullshit from them, he would be the one that cops it. It worked and I actually became quite good mates with him.

chesty
18-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Why don't you just turn the power off to the garage door overnight?

T.G
18-11-2012, 10:39 AM
When I go away from my house for any length of time over a day I often turn the garage motor off that way it can't accidentally be opened/hacked.
(Pro Tip: make sure the garage door remains locked when the powers off!)

crowtribe
18-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Pretty sure all garage doors come with a manual release lever so you can open them without power, which is what I think they did last night so we wouldn't hear the motor. I think they came over the back fence, went into the garage, opened the door quietly, then checked the bike and realised it had a disc lock on it and then just gave up and left it all as is.

I can't even guarantee it was the neighbour's kid, but considering it happened the very same night I overhear them talking about it is a bit coincidental.

Rich...
18-11-2012, 11:12 AM
You would have known if they manually released the door as you would have had to activate the door to the open position to reset the manual release...

marras
18-11-2012, 11:30 AM
I think you may find that a lot of the automatic doors(even with the power off) you can just lift them straight up.

crowtribe close the garage door and see if you can lift it straight up.

I don't think a couple of little punks from next door will be working out the frequency to your remote.

crowtribe
18-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Exactly my thoughts, marras.

Rich - actually, when you turn the garage door switch on on my old garage door, it would actually flick the lever back on somehow and reattach the chain/motor part to the door and open/close normally again, like a self-reset. We were inside when we turned it back on to close it (as the switch/control is inside) so we couldn't hear if it did that or not. We didn't even think of it until afterwards to check.

filbert
18-11-2012, 12:12 PM
crowtribe be very wary cornering a 15 year old who thinks he's a hardarse and thinking he will respond with logic or common sense, you could end up the bad guy in the parents eyes and depending how you handle yourself could end up with far more to worry about than theft, depending on the history of his old man and connections you could end up with people jumping in to defend him and a situation out of your control and beyond police assistance.

my old neighbours went through something similar and we pretty much ended up with a warzone/riot situation in the street, they tried to straighten out a problem with one kid in the street who had broken into their car, he then went to his dad and his dad and friends came to the neighbours house to sort them out, police were called and responded very quickly to diffuse it, but then a week later i awoke to screaming from inside the neighbours house and went out with my maglite to see what was going on while my wife called police to find a group of kids smashing in their front door with a star picket and just about through it, i ended up breaking one kids arm with the maglite in the struggle and had to go through the whole process of defending myself against assault and GBH charges, thankfully our home invasion laws have provisions in place for the defence of either your own home or the occupants of a home invasion situation where life is at risk.

CRIMINAL CODE AMENDMENT (HOME INVASION) BILL 2000 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/bill/ccaib2000337/)
Media Statements - Court Coalition Government Search (http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/ArchivedStatements/Pages/CourtCoalitionGovernmentSearch.aspx?ItemId=110551&minister=Foss&admin=Court)

i wouldn't advise putting yourself in a situation like that if you can avoid it, i'd be going straight to the cops with what you have and see what can be done rather than personally confronting him.

danmac
18-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Its shit like this that pisses me off, ive had someone whos been trying to kill my dog for a long time and its terrible im awake every night in my bushes with a pole waiting for the fucker, my advice is try and catch him out if you do that hell start crying and it will be funny

somebodyelse
18-11-2012, 03:53 PM
bloody kids
sitting around talking loudly about motorbikes and looking shifty.
hangin's too go for em, i say.

(stay off the gear dude, it's making you paranoid and effecting your ability to operate machinery)

andymac
18-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Kill him, just to be on the safe side

mekon
18-11-2012, 05:19 PM
with a bit of thought, one of these could be placed in a sucker location
http://localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au/img/article/304_1.jpg

Heaps of these in the second hand stores in Guildford near the bridge crossing to Bassendean.

crowtribe
19-11-2012, 08:44 AM
I've ordered a Xena, so at least that's another thing to bolt on with a bit of noise to scare them and alert me. I don't really have a spare $300+ for a full alarm system, nor any electrical experience to try and fit one, so this will do in the meantime. I've already got 1 disc lock and a Kryptonite Chain that uses a disc lock, so it's going to look a little overkill...

Alternatively, does anyone know how to rig a bomb up to a pitbike? He's somewhere/somehow acquired one and sits in the backyard revving the tits off it and leaving it at rev limiter at all times of the day. 2 birds, 1 well-placed IED?

filbert
19-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I've ordered a Xena, so at least that's another thing to bolt on with a bit of noise to scare them and alert me. I don't really have a spare $300+ for a full alarm system, nor any electrical experience to try and fit one, so this will do in the meantime. I've already got 1 disc lock and a Kryptonite Chain that uses a disc lock, so it's going to look a little overkill...

Alternatively, does anyone know how to rig a bomb up to a pitbike? He's somewhere/somehow acquired one and sits in the backyard revving the tits off it and leaving it at rev limiter at all times of the day. 2 birds, 1 well-placed IED?

if you have access to the bike then a simple wire run from the spark plug cable to the side of the seat and exposed but not grounded to the bike should give him a tingle every time he sits on it :lol:

but if he starts doing it more often then you might have created a bigger problem.....

speed3
19-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Drain its oil, won't rev much longer after that.

Deano
19-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Dubs sells alarm systems for ~$80 IIRC and I'd be happy to help you wire it up next week, takes all of about two hours (absolute max); the most essential features (main power, accessory power, indicators) wire up to the circuits in the rear. What sort of bike, if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: I hate thieves, that's why.

crowtribe
19-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Deano: Well, that'd be greatly appreciated. It's a 2006 GPX250. I completely forgot about the Dubs Industries stuff - I'll order one now and get in touch when it arrives! I haven't *actually* ordered the Xena yet, as I just had a meeting that luckily stopped me from online shopping.

Mo-Fo
19-11-2012, 10:27 AM
I've had words with neighbours in the past over several different things. I'm a believer in talking directly to people if you have a problem. Be very nice and friendly at 1st though. So far I've had success without it having to go any further.

I'd go have a chat with him if I were you, just let him know that you know. But like I say be nice about it and be cool.

Deano
19-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Deano: Well, that'd be greatly appreciated. It's a 2006 GPX250. I completely forgot about the Dubs Industries stuff - I'll order one now and get in touch when it arrives! I haven't *actually* ordered the Xena yet, as I just had a meeting that luckily stopped me from online shopping.

Oh man, that couldn't be easier to install, GPX has tonnes of space under the seat. No problems at all!

Taem
19-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Talk to the neighbours explain what you heard and that there was an attempt to steal your bike, explain that you're not 100% but the coinsidence is a bit alarming.
Then tell them if it happens again you will be calling the police, and sorry you will have to give them all the evidence you have. i.e. the conversation you heard.

They wont want cops involved cause of the plants. They should then sort the little shits out themselves.

Falcore
19-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Electric det off sparkplug an stick of powergel will fix that damn quick.

SIKYSA
20-11-2012, 08:24 AM
You protect that bike at all costs Crowtribe!
Sucks to hear what's going on... but if you alarm it, have a lock on it and chain it to something in your shed they'll eventually give up. That's what I do with mine. Two alarms, one of them on a disk lock and a chain around a tree. It's parked up the back of my yard next to a rather large German Shepherd too.

Actually, just get a German Shepherd.

crowtribe
21-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Can I have your German Shepherd? He was nice.

SIKYSA
21-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah don't tell too many people his bark is worse than his bite... He is a bit of a pansy... but he looks mean...

Gippo
21-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Oh man. I read all the way to this post too. GPX250? Seriously?

Prefectionist
21-11-2012, 10:51 PM
At least it isn't a Hyosung.

IvanM
22-11-2012, 07:46 AM

I got the same reaction when crowtribe mentioned it.
Seriously, only 15yo would want to steal a GPX.

shan
22-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Mate I cast my mind back to a few decades ago (dam) and my beloved YZ80.
I would have killed in defending that bike against theives,
Now when I think about the bikes that have come and gone over the years.
I would still defend my property passionatly, Also for the record.
"I was in fear for my life officer"

crowtribe
22-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Gippo, just because I value the ownership of my bike, don't be an elitist twat.

Commander Keen
22-11-2012, 10:53 AM

This.

A bike is a bike is a bike, especially when someone has fixings on stealing it.
You don't fuck with a person's ride, regardless of what it is. (Barfridge's scooter is the exception)

Barfridge
22-11-2012, 10:56 AM
agreed, stop being a knob Gippo.

Are you even off your 250 yet?

filbert
22-11-2012, 11:07 AM
agreed, stop being a knob Gippo.

Are you even off your 250 yet?

I heard he had his heart set on a nice little Ducati down at the causeway then someone went and crashed it on a test ride before he got a chance to put a deposit down.

GIXXEN
22-11-2012, 11:22 AM
When i go away your more then welcome to try opening my garage door.

I will even leave the remote outside for you......

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss76/dartyvxclubby/BobbyTrap-2.jpg

fredie
24-11-2012, 07:37 PM
if its got 2 wheels and a motor . the thieving kids will be blowing there pantys over it

SomeBloke
25-11-2012, 05:39 PM
hey hey hey whats wrong with my hyosung Prefectionist.. beats yours hehe ;)

Gippo
30-11-2012, 09:04 PM
I heard he had his heart set on a nice little Ducati down at the causeway then someone went and crashed it on a test ride before he got a chance to put a deposit down.

Good memory!

Barfridge, yes mate no longer on 250s.

Gippo
30-11-2012, 09:06 PM

Sorry. But I invested heaps of time in your thread that I'll never get back....

Gixxerguy
30-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Wow, I always wondered why everybody thought you were a prick. I shall wonder no longer.