PDA

View Full Version : Cairns?

Desmo
18-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Has anyone lived in Cairns? From there, etc etc?
Just looking at the price of housing and we could pay off a very nice house there in a very short space of time plus it wouldn't be an issue for me getting work there, seeing as the GBR is right on it's doorstep.
Just thinking out loud and weighing up options at the moment.
Yes, I know it's tropical.

Sventek
18-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Someone I studied with is living there at the moment, and the parents of my ex business partner live there. They all say that it's just fantastic.

Desmo
18-11-2012, 04:54 PM
They all say that it's just fantastic.

This is the general feeling I get from my Googling.
And check this out for $340K!
21 Templeton Street Gordonvale Qld 4865 - House for Sale #112167167 - realestate.com.au (http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-gordonvale-112167167)

Sventek
18-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Noice. Very noice indeed.

Flamedance
18-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I have relatives up there. They love it. I find its a bit of a dead end town - They tried to turn it into something a decade ago but it flopped. Its a nice place and there are some awesome twisties in the hinterland and as you mentioned its got a lot of charter fishing and diving happening there. Tully river is one of the best white water courses I've paddled as well.
Downside - Fairly high crime rate. There are a lot of dole bludging potheads up there. Since the Japanese pulled out of the port douglas resorts there has been a big drop in the whole area for development. Everything focussed back down towards Townsville and Mackay for the mining stuff.
Overall for your line of work its definately worth considering, Sal shouldn't have an issue getting work there either. Take a holiday and check the place out to see what you think.

Professor Redfern
18-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Are you implying that wa is overpriced?

I would move there a) because fruit bats are cool. B) I like lizards. C) easy access to the rest of Australia, nz for skiing, and South Pacific for holidays.

Reasons I wouldn't a) rugby. B) xxxx c) I don't really have a c.

Desmo
18-11-2012, 05:18 PM
There are a lot of dole bludging potheads up there.

I won't be a dole bludger, I'll have a job.

Captain Starfish
18-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Depends, Jim...

It's a tourist town on top of a small country coastal town where most of the tourism activity is off a boat a long way offshore.

As a tourist town, I found it fucking horrible - backpackers and cashed up asian visitors being absolute cunts everywhere. And the locals raping them for everything they could. That's the market you'd be in work wise. Cope? I couldn't.

To become a local takes time, until that you get treated as a tourist and raped accordingly. I have a few friends though who have all, at some point, blown into Cairns and got a holiday job but settled in there to the point where their "couple of months to get cash for the trip across the top" became years. And they loved it. They were lucky though, to find work during the off season - Cairns is highly seasonal, the wet up there is _really_ wet and the arse drops out of the town for the season. Population drops to 25% or less of the peak season numbers, IIRC. Your carpets and couch will go mouldy in the dank warmth, nothing will dry, you sweat and sweat and sweat and pray for wind. Which floods the place and knocks buildings down when it does come.

So it's not all sunshine and lollipops, but for about 8 months a year it's bloody lovely and, if you can't get work there as a certified PADI instructor, there's something really quite wrong with you. If it wasn't for the whole "leave the family in exmouth" thing I would have suggested it ages ago.

Nine
18-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Mate I went for a weekend and stayed 5.5 years. Just fucking go.
If I could convince the Mrs to go we would be there tomorrow.
Hands down the best riding roads in aussies, friendly people. Just make sure theres work as unemployment there's about 10%.
Go, fuck the haters.

TurboR1
18-11-2012, 05:41 PM
It has Rattle and Hum... worth moving there just for that....

Nine
18-11-2012, 05:43 PM
1. Cost of living is cheap.
2. Friendly people (i dunno where this 'locals are all assholes' come from but you get what you give it guess).
3. Booze is dirt cheap.
4. Endless awesome family things to do beyond the wanky tourist shit (water holes, picnic spots, historical places)
5. Yep there's shitload of Japanese tourists but they're holidays are set from the time they get off the plane till the moment they leave. There taken to exclusive shops for them and they're often seen but rarely interacting with anyone else.
6. You won't be considered a 'local' for about a year, sooner if your in tourism so don't expect discounts until you can at least show a license proving you live there.
7. Yeah there's crime, don't live in woree, manunda, moorobool. It's not real bad though like living in canning tonight perhaps.

Gordonvale is 25 minutes from the city and has a decent population of dirty riders and unit crew but still a decent spot.

Nine
18-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Cons.
1. Hippies, there's fucking heaps. (the unshaven ones)
2. The backpackers might piss you off purely because theirs so many of them partying all the time.
3. Perth chick's are hotter (qld chick's are easier) lose/win.
4. When it's wet its fucking wet. Consider mid wet season that when it rains the water don't fall in drops, it sheets out of the sky.
5. Everything that can kill you lives on the shores of the beach and it's bath warm in summer. Box jelly, iricanji, stone fish, blue rings, cone shells, crocs (sometimes), sharks, and because of Steve irwin we can now include stingrays.

Desmo
18-11-2012, 06:35 PM
There are a lot of pros...
Good thunderstorms as well?

Nine
18-11-2012, 06:40 PM
They are epic.

BenG
18-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Have a chat to Gary B if he's still up in town with you. He lived there for a while and worked as an instructor.

stromrider
18-11-2012, 06:46 PM
And check this out for $340K!
21 Templeton Street Gordonvale Qld 4865 - House for Sale #112167167 - realestate.com.au (http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-gordonvale-112167167)

That's a very nice reason to go.

Rich...
18-11-2012, 06:55 PM
One thing I learnt in my QLD time...

I hope you like mowing and gardening...

Everything just grows so fast...

RB 2 11
18-11-2012, 06:55 PM
I have a couple of good mates living up there. Can put you in touch if you want.

Every other weekend the buggers send me a txt inviting me to the Sunday morning blast up to Port Douglas for coffee through the hinterlands. One day I'll rock up unannounced and just do it!

Desmo
18-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Have a chat to Gary B if he's still up in town with you. He lived there for a while and worked as an instructor.
I'll be giving him a call over the next few days to pick his brains.

That's a very nice reason to go.
I thought so too.

Everything just grows so fast...
This could be a positive thing...

Spina
18-11-2012, 08:18 PM
This could be a positive thing...

Ha, there is no shortage of that there, RE: pot smoking dolebludgers!!

Oh, and I hope you like mangoes

Drasius
19-11-2012, 05:27 AM
I am over here ATM for work, it's a pretty cool place. The choice of 3 different but awesome tight twisty roads and 1 with endless long sweepers certainly doesn't hurt it, but the fact is, it reminds me of Perth quite a bit in that there is not usually a big rush, the people aren't cunts like most people from the easterns states, it's generally pretty laid back and chilled out.

The beaches are all pretty good, there is an endless supply of good looking women wearing not a lot wandering around, there are some pretty good restaraunts around, it's reasonably civilised for the most part and the weather is pretty much perfect for 8 months of the year. Lots of activities to do like wakeboarding, kitsurfing, fishing, skydiving, snorkelling, you know, all the outdoorsy stuff.

Don't live in any suburb starting with M and you should be OK. I live in Redlynch and have found it to be the nicest place I have ever lived. It really is the sort of thing you see on family shows with neighbours coming over for a chat, people cooking each other stuff on the weekends, helping each other out. There are certainly areas which are the equivalent of the dodgy areas of perth, but they tend to be clustered, so if you can stay away, it's all good.

If you do pick up a place in Gordonvale, you will be moments away from what I would consider a very strong contender for Australias best riding road (though she's a bit bumpy ATM) Might see if I can get the GoPro charged and give you a look.

Gordonvale is a little far away from the beaches though, I would suggest having a squizz at the northside of Cairns, some of the Northern beaches can have very nice places available for not a lot of money. Machans/Holloways/Trinity beach and Yorkeys Knob had some pretty nice stuff when I was looking not long ago. Machans might be a touch close to the airport though.

Overall, A+ would highly recommend. Give me a buzz if you are coming over and need a place to stay.

Desmo
19-11-2012, 12:34 PM
So the general consensus I'm getting is that it's a pretty rad place.

Rich...
19-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Nah Jim, sounds like a shithole...

Move to Adelaide instead, way better...

B0RDEX
19-11-2012, 12:47 PM
I just need to know how long it will take for you to set the spare room up for me, Jim.

D'Artagnan
19-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Lived there, love it, would move back. Gordonvale is little out of town though. North is nicer IMHO.