PDA

View Full Version : Bali flights

Brougham
03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Air Asia. Any good?

out_in_front
03-12-2012, 07:06 PM
bail flights?? - i suppose if they will take you out of the country I suppose anyone will do... what did you get charged with? (PSB so probably hoon law related)

Old frt
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Bail flights?

What have you done mate.???

Coupla lawyers on here may be a better option.

filbert
03-12-2012, 07:14 PM
is Garuda Indonesia still running?

anyone but them....

Old frt
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Seriously it's only a three hour flight, they all arrive intact, go the cheapest.

Barfridge
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
yes, air asia are pretty good. No frills, but they don't gouge you too badly on the back end, the planes are clean and it's very low stress.

If pricing was about the same I might fly virgin over them, would completely avoid tiger, and may consider garuda (who are better than they used to be a few years ago when they almost got banned from flying here).

filbert
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
intact is one thing and an important thing.....

but when they're painting over the company logos before you've even left your seat you know they've had far too much experience at crashing :lol:

i would hope they have improved.

BIGFELLA
nothing wrong with Garuda these days as they are all new planes and standards are better.

BIGFELLA

jules_1972
Garuda are not like they used to be.
Actually pretty good to travel with.

Air Asia are great on the price, no beer sux though.

etholred
03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Short flight, doesn't matter who you fly with IMHO.....I flew to the UK Air Asia was fine :) Booked for extra leg room coz I'm humungous ;)

WIGARUS
03-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Flew air asia to bali 3 times and never had a problem.

The first two flights the plane was only half full.

JamieBlade
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I went Jet Star in September, but only cos I wanted to use my points and fly for free :) They weren't bad, but you get nothing apart from a small seat for your money. But as others have said, with only 3 hours to amuse yourself, it's not bad.

Neil-51
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Have flown a few times with Air Asia and the seats are small, but the staff are good, planes reasonably new and they have been on schedule. For shorter flights - like 5 hrs max I will keep flying Air Asia.

r0gue
03-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Good thing about Air Asia over the other Bali Carriers is you can log onto the website and choose which seat you want.
We always go the front row or the emergency rows for the extra leg room.

BJMac
03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Always been happy with Airasia. Even the $2 meals aren't too bad

Brougham
03-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Hah. PSB corporate holiday

Not much ad revenue this year so we can't do the usual qantas business class flights.

So budget options needed.

Air Asia cheaper like for like vs qantas, jetstar. Didn't check virgin as not a fan.

Huggy
03-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I have flights booked with Air Asia to Bali in Jan.

Saved about $100 booking direct through their website rather than going through the Flight centre website. Hoping they pull through for me, and I don't have any dramas. I've heard that some of the low cost carriers cancel flights if they don't fill enough seats, which would suck.

All up it is $400 return. Booked a few months ago. I think it was about $380 but I went all out and paid $3 each flight to choose my seat, and bought a couple of in flight feeds.

A mate who is coming with us ended up paying about $560 return when he booked a few days ago, so it pays to get in early.

Not there yet, but I've got no problems with Air Asia. I used them around Malaysia a couple of years ago and they were fine. No frills, but get you there.

timmay
03-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Flown Air Asia and Garuda, I preferred Garuda.. (more legroom I found)
Going Jet* this time though, but upgraded to emergency row.
If you book it as a package (ie: holiday planet) they will just put you on the cheapest flights unless you specify a brand.

agrid
03-12-2012, 09:26 PM
I suppose if I got in a fight with someone down the pub and he said; "I am Spock, you're not going to live long or prosper", I would probably bail. Are we talking about the same thing.

Brougham
03-12-2012, 09:35 PM
No not really

*Sheldon*
04-12-2012, 05:39 AM
We flew AirAsia to bali once. Paid the extra $30 for "extra legroom seats" as we had our 11 month old daughter on our lap. Seats had zero extra space! I know because I sat in our friends seats which where the normal ones and it was identical. We also prepaid our meals and then was told that they did not get the payment, which had left our bank account weeks before. No alcohol and if you got caught opening a duty free we were told legal action can and will be taken!

Rubbish airline for the $100 we saved not worth it!

Garuda on the other hand were fantastic each and everytime we have flown with them.

cowasaki
04-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Fly AA all the time, and I tend to use Bali for transits to everywhere else... easy change over, flight wait times are slightly less... I hate LCCT-KL.
AA to Bali has lots of cheapies.. so from there to elsewhere is cheaper as well.

Heretic
04-12-2012, 07:16 AM
jetstar - virgin - air asia much of a muchness really, same seating configuration and seat pitch (3 +3 seats) on similar airplane, i think the main difference is what flight suites your time and how much it is. remember Jetstar have their 10% price beater thing, we've used that alot.

however virgin easier to use points with international over qantas points on jetstar

Garuda a bit more room and good flight times into bali, full inflight service but seems quite a bit more expensive these days

Brougham
04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Flights with 2 adults, 1 kid and 1 infant are $1000 for AA, 1300 on jetstar, 1400 on Virgin, 1600 on Garuda and 1700 on qantas.

AWSE
04-12-2012, 08:21 AM
We're going in May, booked months ago with AirAsia.
3 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 toddler with a meal each way(2 for me), all seated together with the extra legroom. Although I think each seat costs the same no matter the age of the occupant.
All up $2200, about $370 each return.

Brougham
04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
yeah about the same $375ish.

Brougham
04-12-2012, 09:20 AM
so, booked with jetstar. they price matched minus 10%, but did it weird.
I was looking at air asia website with them. my price was $1010, they said $926 (score!).
so total for 4 of us with jetstar was $833.

not bad, not bad at all!

shmoo
04-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Can't believe how many people have mentioned no booze as being an issue on a short-haul flight. Are Australians really THAT bogan that they can't be without a drink for a few hours? (rhetorical question is rhetorical).

Brougham
04-12-2012, 10:42 AM
i have little kids.
i'm permanently under the influence.

Heretic
04-12-2012, 10:59 AM
so, booked with jetstar. they price matched minus 10%, but did it weird.
I was looking at air asia website with them. my price was $1010, they said $926 (score!).
so total for 4 of us with jetstar was $833.

not bad, not bad at all!

with the discount beat thing sometimes they dont issue etickets immediately depending on how much they have to discount the fare but they get there in the end, the seat is always booked tho.

*Sheldon*
04-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Can't believe how many people have mentioned no booze as being an issue on a short-haul flight. Are Australians really THAT bogan that they can't be without a drink for a few hours? (rhetorical question is rhetorical).

Its not the fact that australians are bogans because you like to have a drink. The point being is you do not get a choice at all! I recently just did 5.5 hour flights (on a different airline) and didn't have an alcoholic beverage either way. Biggest problem with AA is that it is not clearly stated when purchasing tickets that their is no alcohol to be consumed on the aircraft.

filbert
04-12-2012, 12:32 PM
5.5 hours without a drink :o what's the world coming to, going that long without a drink you might even sober up from your bender at the airport bar......

Why is there a need to drink to fly? Smokers have to curb their habit for the duration.

okitoki
04-12-2012, 12:48 PM
AA flights has always been ok for me for both long and short flights... it is cheaper than most other flights provided that you are willing to organise what you need and pay up front...
need extra baggage... get the biggest allowance... as the extra weight you need to pay at the airport is pretty high...
decide to upgrade your baggage later after your have booked and paid for your flights.... you be slugged with extra credit card fees...
want to eat on the flight... I always pack a little snack or have a decent meal before the flight... last time girlfriend paid AU$10 for a nasi lemak which is equal to $32Ringgit on a dish that you only pay $5Ringgit in Malaysia :D
do your flight checkin before going to airport and print out your boarding pass at home... I think they now start to charge stupid $$$ for printing at the airport...

change of travel plans? sometimes it is actually cheaper to "burn" your original ticket and get a new one instead....

shmoo
04-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Biggest problem with AA is that it is not clearly stated when purchasing tickets that their is no alcohol to be consumed on the aircraft.
The fact that you consider it a "problem" is the bit that intrigues me. I can't believe that it is even considered an issue.

But to each their own. If it's a deciding factor for some people, then so be it.

Barfridge
04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Another point in favour of AA - fewer drunken bogans

Brougham
04-12-2012, 09:10 PM
so..... kid friendly hotels?

BJMac
04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Dynasty is big bold and bogan, but our kids (14,12,5) enjoyed it. Across the road is Febris which is much cheaper, really nice brekky, basic but clean rooms. Both in South Kuta, 10 min walk from Waterbom, which is a must for kids.

*Sheldon*
05-12-2012, 05:27 AM
The fact that you consider it a "problem" is the bit that intrigues me. I can't believe that it is even considered an issue.

But to each their own. If it's a deciding factor for some people, then so be it.

The problem is it takes away peoples choice. I myself do not drink much at all (maybe 1-3 standards a fortnight). plus I think its mostly to do with the fact i paid so much money for a poor flight with them. Paid extra for the "extra leg room" seats which in fact were not any different from the other seats in the aircraft besides having red covers on the headrests. Paying for a meal we didnt recieve.

Dark Shadow
05-12-2012, 05:22 PM
depends where in Bali you want to stay?
I split my last trip between Kuta (Bali Hotel White Rose Hotel & Villas I Family, Wedding, Meeting (http://whiterosebali.com/)) and Taro (Elephant Safari Park Lodge :: Bali Exclusive Accommodation Hotel (http://www.elephantsafariparklodge.com/))
Both places were great, kids would have been welcome at either

Nusa Dua
Kuta
Seminyak

there are some locals on here to help advise

Skut
05-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Bit late to pitch in I guess, but in my own limited experience (when I can to do a lot of short-notice flights due to a family illness) I was soon happy to pay a modest amount extra for Virgin over Jetstar - Virgin was cheap and "cheerful", with a decent service culture. By comparison, Jetstar made you feel like cattle.