PDA

View Full Version : State of Australian Cities report

g0zer
04-12-2012, 02:03 PM
State of Australian Cities (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infrastructure/mcu/soac/index.aspx)

The major advantage of motorcycles and scooters in the urban transport system is that
they are very space efficient at a time when congestion is now a critical problem in cities.
Depending on the attitude to filtering or lane splitting, they take up much less space
than other vehicles in slow-moving or stationary traffic and up to five can park in a single
car space. Consequently, cities in Australia are following their European counterparts in
encouraging their use. In Melbourne, for example, motorcycles and scooters can park
free on that city’s wide footpaths, while in Canberra they can park free of change in
designated spaces that are plentiful throughout the city. The City of Sydney is implementing
its Motorcycle and Scooter Strategy and Action Plan and Strategy 2008–2012 which
supports the provision of low-cost and secure motorcycle and scooter parking (City of
Sydney 2008).

dedicated MC lane doesnt sound like such a stupid idea after all

GUE57
04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
As far as dedicated MC lanes go, I don't think we need that kind of special treatment, just the complete legalization (not a huge grey area) of lane splitting, some education on lane splitting on TV for dumb ass drivers and more parking leniency would go a long way.

g0zer
04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
its not us that need it.

public transport (mainly our train network) is fully utilized and the road system has collapsed with congestion. you know speed approaches zero in a grid locked traffic jam the carrying capacity (cars per minute) of the road collapses.

the introduction of bike/scoot only lanes on the major arteries discourages cars and encourage scoots and bikes. the throughput of lanes carrying bikes and scoots is increased and at the same time every car that is swapped for a scoot reduces the pressure on the other lanes.

not that i seriously think we would ever get mc/scoot lanes (meanwhile pushbikes get their own lanes which are virtually empty during peak hour).

our problems with congestion are getting worse. the prevailing wisdom/solution is the commuting public spends more time in gridlock basically leave for work earlier and arrive home later. increase the duration of peak 'hour' at the commuters expense. congestion is become a serious inefficiency/bottleneck in our society.

AndyS
04-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I was reading somewhere that a Belgian study had concluded that a 10% increase in scooter or motorcycle use would result in a 40% decrease in peak hour congestion issues.

shmoo
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
another report to be put in the filing cabinet of the transport minister, never to be looked at again.

MADOGA
04-12-2012, 04:10 PM
planning does not seem to be a consideration for any govt,
Perth transport be it road rail bus is shocking slow and expensive, govt seems to have no plan no clue and no idea how to move forward other than to say more roads are not the answer to congestion, neither it seems are more buses or a better rail network,

maybe we need another committee to form a 5-10 year study to investigate the problem,

then another committee to run for 5-10 years to investigate the findings of the first committee.

rod
04-12-2012, 07:01 PM
n Melbourne, for example, motorcycles and scooters can park
free on that city’s wide footpaths

Every three to five years the melbourne city council or the state government talk about banning parking on the footpath. So they're not exactly for it, but have larger issues to fight right now.

Moriarty
04-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Every three to five years the melbourne city council or the state government talk about banning parking on the footpath. So they're not exactly for it, but have larger issues to fight right now.

Didn't they protest that by "parking to rule", i.e. riders got organised, turned up early and legally used up most of the street parking spots in the CBD. Take that ya bastards! Coincidentally, the footpath parking option was reinstated soon after... :cool:

It's not a bad rule - the footpath has to be wide enough and you have to leave a minimum width of footpath clear for pedestrians. A frightening application of common sense.

shmoo
04-12-2012, 08:39 PM
very few footpaths in perth are wide enough.

Stephan
04-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Plus, you can't legally park a mc in a car bay, even if you pay for it...but then local councils have different laws, same as states got different traffic laws...

GUE57
05-12-2012, 12:55 PM
its not us that need it.

public transport (mainly our train network) is fully utilized and the road system has collapsed with congestion. you know speed approaches zero in a grid locked traffic jam the carrying capacity (cars per minute) of the road collapses.

the introduction of bike/scoot only lanes on the major arteries discourages cars and encourage scoots and bikes. the throughput of lanes carrying bikes and scoots is increased and at the same time every car that is swapped for a scoot reduces the pressure on the other lanes.

not that i seriously think we would ever get mc/scoot lanes (meanwhile pushbikes get their own lanes which are virtually empty during peak hour).

our problems with congestion are getting worse. the prevailing wisdom/solution is the commuting public spends more time in gridlock basically leave for work earlier and arrive home later. increase the duration of peak 'hour' at the commuters expense. congestion is become a serious inefficiency/bottleneck in our society.

I see what you mean. It's just that there are so many anti-bike people in Perth all we would get is a lot more hate thrown our way, and cars driving in the dedicated MC lane. In peak hour some people go into the emergency lane instead of merging so I don't think it would be unlikely.

Plus, you can't legally park a mc in a car bay, even if you pay for it...but then local councils have different laws, same as states got different traffic laws...

This is really annoying, what's the difference if I bring my bike instead of my car? I think Perth needs to address this issue if we are not allowed to park on footpaths. Most shopping centres for example will only have a couple of spots, If it's a sunny day, or some douche in a Getz decides to park in the M/C parking bay, then I have to take a car spot and suddenly, I am in the wrong.

rod
05-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Didn't they protest that by "parking to rule", i.e. riders got organised, turned up early and legally used up most of the street parking spots in the CBD. Take that ya bastards! Coincidentally, the footpath parking option was reinstated soon after... :cool:

It's not a bad rule - the footpath has to be wide enough and you have to leave a minimum width of footpath clear for pedestrians. A frightening application of common sense.

The parking on the footpath thing was never taken away but when it come up for discussion by whatever bit of the government there'd be a protest of sorts. The last one was a few years ago now.

Yeah, that's one mental thing about Perth. Here in Melbourne, not only can we park on the footpath but we can help ourselves to car parking spots too (as long as we 'feed the meter' where required. Having lived through parking hell in Perth for a couple of years it really made me appreciate how good we have it in Melbourne.