PDA

View Full Version : suits...

euphoric
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Did a search with good results from a couple of years ago and seems some of those shops have shut etc...so wondering...i'm in the market for a decent suit (gettin married in May, but also every man should have a decent suit for hatches, matches and despatches)....anyone know of a good value bespoke suitier....or a much better than average suit shop based in Perth?

kennyboy
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I bought an Armani last year from emporium Armani in the city.
Fucking nice suit, top quality and you couldn't ask for better service.

Was about the 1600-1700 mark once I had the jacket fitted a bit better.

padfoot
10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm also looking - Getting married in May as well and looking to enter the corporate world next year if all goes to plan. A suit will make a nice change from Hi-Vis all the time...

I'm currently dipping my toe in the water by having a shirt made up by Joseph Anthony Bespoke (http://josephanthonybespoke.com.au) - I asked them about bespoke suits when I was in there and they seem to do some good work, though I'm far from the expert.

I'd be keen to follow this thread as well to check out anyone's recommendations :)

euphoric
10-12-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm also looking - Getting married in May as well and looking to enter the corporate world next year if all goes to plan. A suit will make a nice change from Hi-Vis all the time...

I'm currently dipping my toe in the water by having a shirt made up by Joseph Anthony Bespoke (http://josephanthonybespoke.com.au) - I asked them about bespoke suits when I was in there and they seem to do some good work, though I'm far from the expert.

I'd be keen to follow this thread as well to check out anyone's recommendations :)

yup, i'm told he's one of the few that do true bespoke work in perth and has a good rep....pricey though (is what i hear).

Dubs
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
being a slightly different shape I get all of mine made in Phuket.

$200 ish for a 2 pant suit.

even if you went for a quick 4-5 days on the cheap you could buy say 3 suits, airfares, accomodation and expenses for under 2k

Dubs

Manyak
10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
being a slightly different shape I get all of mine made in Phuket.

$200 ish for a 2 pant suit.

even if you went for a quick 4-5 days on the cheap you could buy say 3 suits, airfares, accomodation and expenses for under 2k

Dubs
When i first went over there on my 'tropical holiday', it spun me out how many people were buying/selling suits!! :lol:

It was quite strange seeing a nicely made 2-piece suit sitting next to a Ed Hardy shirt and underage tranny..

Nine
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Last time I went i got 2 full suits, a trench coat, 8 shirts and a few ties for 350 Australian

Stu
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
I can recommend Marchesi Menswear on William Street.
The gentlemen there are proper tailors and will fit the suit perfectly to you. Measuring and altering everything to get an individual fit.
I guess they cater for the more expensive side of things but having said that you will get what you pay for, quality.

padfoot
10-12-2012, 07:59 PM
yup, i'm told he's one of the few that do true bespoke work in perth and has a good rep....pricey though (is what i hear).

Pricey indeed.

I'd looked at going overseas for a suit - For those that have, what are you getting for your money?
How long are they lasting/what sort of fabrics are they using etc.
I've known people to get super cheap suits overseas but while they are made to fit well, they're polyester.. I'd prefer to go with pure wool.

razlee
10-12-2012, 08:15 PM
The suit you get married in should be different from the suit you wear to work.

Style people! c'mon!!

DaveR6
10-12-2012, 11:15 PM

I would strongly recommend not going here. The bloke who runs the place is a complete douche.

My experience, along with his responses, on my yelp review http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/joseph-anthony-bespoke-claremont

Parker and Co Parker & Co. Menswear Perth | Shop online for Zegna,Versace,Paul Smith,Hugo Boss,Armani,Cantarelli, Brioni,Legalwear. Alterations provided. (http://www.parkerco.com.au/) is where its at. Amazing service, suits tailored (not bespoke) and treat their customers with respect.

padfoot
11-12-2012, 07:46 AM
The suit you get married in should be different from the suit you wear to work.

Style people! c'mon!!

Absolutely... I'm looking for suits myself :)

padfoot
11-12-2012, 08:02 AM
My experience, along with his responses, on my yelp review http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/joseph-anthony-bespoke-claremont

Ah, that was you?

I've read a few polarising reviews on the store - Yours included. Which is why I thought I'd dip my toe in with a shirt or two before dropping a rather large sum on a couple of bespoke suits.
Completely disregarding the service/unreturned phone calls etc, I believe that the retailer was in the right regarding the refunded amount. If you pay with a voucher, and receive a refund, you get the amount that you paid returned to you... I'd not expect anything different to be honest.

I'm still in the 'waiting for it to be made' phase - I'd hope it will be ready on my next R&R. Time will tell I suppose.
Anyway, always good to have alternatives so thanks for the recommendation of Parker & Co.

I just realised I kinda hijacked euphoric's thread... Sorry euphoric!

euphoric
11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
all good. a range of opinion and expereince is what i was looking for. dont consider it a hijack unless you go off topic to talk about your new mintox mull leaf tattoo that means a lot to you personally. suit on friend....

wheeless
11-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Try Platinum menswear in the city on hay street mall opposite David Jones , good quality and range .

Dirty32
11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
For top quality tailored suits, you cant go past what Stu & DaveR6 have said in Marchesi and Parker & Co...

Can also find some nice suits at DJ's & Myer, but I dont know that they necessarily provide the service that the independents have / can.
I mean, its one thing to work at a large retailer, in sales in a menswear section... Its another to independently hang your hat on prestige menswear as a smaller independent operator.

I normally grab a suit or 2 when I head back to the UK. Seem to be a bit cheaper for the same brands / quality, than you'll find here. Likely just the supply & demand thing at work though...

It all really comes down to how much your wanting to spend though. A top suit with any of the above are not going to be cheap, so you've gotta figure out how much you've got to play with to determine where is best to look!

shan
11-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Hoi Ann Veitnam , it's worth the trip

euphoric
11-12-2012, 09:31 AM
gonna suss out parker and co. i not much of a suit wearer, but i happy to spend about 1500 in the hope of when i do it works.

Professor Redfern
11-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Save the money and spend it on a trip to Bali then get a few custom fitted suits for $50. Remember a suit only looks good if it fits, if not you just like like shit in nice fabric.

You are far better off having a $50 suit that is tailored than a 1500 dollar one that isnt. People wont notice an Armani suit but they will notice a bad fitting one.

zebathin
11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Just got married in a Zegna suit from Parker & Co, it was fantastic. Their service was exemplary and the suit was perfect.

Paraletic
11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
ive had a few suits made up while in hong kong and vietnam, it was all fairly unusual for me so i didnt really know what i was asking for.
besides where to go, have a good think about how you like your clothes to fit. for example, i have a favorite suit because the pants are a tighter fit in the leg and sit at a nice height, and the vest is just the right length on it.
they will make suggestions but you have to wear it.
also things like the style of collar on the shirts, there are at least a dozen to choose from. also buttoned cuffs for everyday and cuff links for fancey... single or bouble brested jacket depending on your body type, 2, 3, or 4 buttons.

lots to consider but just dont be afraid to send it back with alterations at the first or second fit. they want a happy customer.

DaveR6
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Yes...that was me.

Whether what you say is right, or what I think is right, the fact is the bloke said he would refund the value of the shirt. To be honest, if the amount was the only issue, that would have resolved only 10% of my gripes with them anyway.

Ah, that was you?

I've read a few polarising reviews on the store - Yours included. Which is why I thought I'd dip my toe in with a shirt or two before dropping a rather large sum on a couple of bespoke suits.
Completely disregarding the service/unreturned phone calls etc, I believe that the retailer was in the right regarding the refunded amount. If you pay with a voucher, and receive a refund, you get the amount that you paid returned to you... I'd not expect anything different to be honest.

I'm still in the 'waiting for it to be made' phase - I'd hope it will be ready on my next R&R. Time will tell I suppose.
Anyway, always good to have alternatives so thanks for the recommendation of Parker & Co.

I just realised I kinda hijacked euphoric's thread... Sorry euphoric!

DaveR6
28-12-2012, 02:43 PM
lol...looks like the schmuck at Joseph Anthony has seen this thread, signed up to PSB and attempted a new thread to retort, which looks to have been pulled already. Consumer basics fail again.

okitoki
31-12-2012, 02:08 PM
lol... someone from India, log on to a motorcycle forum to talk about making suits? really? :lol:

Phildo
01-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Anyone remember the MASH episode when Alan Alda's character was getting all excited about getting a suit custom made?

His roommate was unfussed about it, but Alan Alda was raving with excitement for the entire show.

It was going to be precisely tailormade by a local (ie Korean) craftsman.

With pin stripes. Lots of fuss about the pin stripes.

Get to the end of the episode, and Alan Alda is now wearing his flashy new suit.

With pin stripes that go horizontal (ie left to right) instead of vertical.

BrotherPaul
01-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Love MASH, love that particular episode. Made me laugh to think about it! Thanks for reminding me.

non_quotidiun
02-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Hoi Ann Veitnam , it's worth the trip

^+1

SPman
02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Suit?
I had one back in 1966 - sold it in 1977 for more than I paid for it (it had come back into fashion for 3 months).
Haven't felt the desire or need for one since - in fact - I refuse to wear one, however "inconvenient" that might be.

Fuckin horrible things.......

mute
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I can recommend fashion king in chiang mai thailand if you are ever there. I've had business wear done by a few places overseas. These were the best. No bullshit haggling and a reasonable price. Still I would google some stuff on fit if I were you as different tailors have different views on fit and fashion.

peter600
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
I think you can buy suits at Rivers stores for about $60.

I believe they only use the finest polyester!!!!

Rivers Online Clearance Store - Mens doghouse suits (http://www.rivers.com.au/catalogdb/catalog-www.asp?category=176)

Alternatively, I've still got the only suit I've ever owned. Wore it to the school ball in '72. If you're a 30 inch waist, it's yours for $50....

chew
02-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Good sammies, try em till one fits, $40-$50 for the occasional very wizz bang stuff. Then take it back as a donation.

euphoric
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
LOL, good sammies have trouble with ANY mens clothes that will fit. I actually had a very long conversation with the state manager of the Salvos about this. Men wear their clothes until they fall apart, so most of the mens clothes they get are unusual sizes (small) and come from deceased estates. I'm 6ft and 104kg, so that not gonna work. I'd love to go to asia for a suit, but I don't even have a whole day spare between now and wedding in May (doing major house renos at same time), let alone a couple of days. At this stage I'm gonna be wearing disposable overalls for my wedding.

mute
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
not true I got a tony barlow 100% wool navy blazer that fits well for 15$ from a salvos

euphoric
02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
not true I got a tony barlow 100% wool navy blazer that fits well for 15$ from a salvos

thats it with op shops, sometimes you just get lucky....i didn't say never, just they "have trouble" and "most of"....congrats on your find!

mute
05-01-2013, 07:22 PM
thanks random internet guy with 1 post.

Dirty32
05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
He wouldnt be speaking about himself & proclaiming its a 'friend he knows' now, would he??
Its not quite a shameless plug, but a plug none the less...

Im wondering if David Fashions is short for David Smith Fashions, lol!

euphoric
12-03-2013, 11:55 AM
in the endi went and met with BMV bespoke....who have travelling tailors who advise, measure and take order, they then send it all to hong kong, suit gets made then they courier to your door. They had about 2000 diff fabrics to choose from. in the end i got a superfine pure wool suit and shirt for much less than i would locally and they totally delivered everything exactly as promised...They visit every six weeks and make a point if something not as expected to go back and they will fix on the spot.

Herbie
12-03-2013, 01:28 PM
I went and bought a suit the other day at MJ Bale in the city. Great suits and good prices for the quality too!

razlee
12-03-2013, 01:33 PM
I went and bought a suit the other day at MJ Bale in the city. Great suits and good prices for the quality too!

Is that on the terrace? I thought they would be super expensive

Herbie
12-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah thats the one - in the new Brooksfield Place building M.J. Bale Home | Menswear | Sydney, Australia (http://www.mjbale.com/)

Most of their suits are around $1300 each, but they are running a special on classic suits; 2 for $1000 at the moment.

Spina
12-03-2013, 02:09 PM
You are far better off having a $50 suit that is tailored than a 1500 dollar one that isnt. People wont notice an Armani suit but they will notice a bad fitting one.

Oh how wrong you are....there are many a male that can distinguish a real from a faker, cant argue a wog on that one :thumbsup:

But you are correct about the fitting aspect, but a copy is always a copy! I got married in phuket, and yes i do have thailand suits but my wedding threads were no comprimise. The difference between my brand suits and $100 specials is like day and night.

Whats most important is what fits your budget and what your bride will accept!

R160
30-06-2013, 06:29 PM
in anticipation of starting the new job I'm reviving this thread :-), Can anyone give me a idea of a cost for the BMV bespoke option?

padfoot
11-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Slight thread revival, but only to let people know if they're thinking of going with Joseph Anthony for any of their suiting requirements that their time is better spent poking themselves in the eye with a sharp stick.

Whether what you say is right, or what I think is right, the fact is the bloke said he would refund the value of the shirt. To be honest, if the amount was the only issue, that would have resolved only 10% of my gripes with them anyway.

Aaaaaand it turns out you were right :)
If money was 10% of the issue you had with them, I'm expecting the other 90% of issues are the same as I'm having.

I'll never give them business again. They have some of the most atrocious customer service I've ever come across, and I've lived in Perth for most of my life so I know bad customer service. I'm owed several suits and shirts and I've got over four pages of notes relating to broken promises and deadlines from them.

I can recommend MJ Bale though, both for off the rack and Made to Measure suits. I've got a couple from there that I can't recommend them enough.