PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you suspect a bicycle is stolen...

PolishBiker
11-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Its not a motorbike but i guess similar steps would be applied to a bicycle, so here it is:

Today on my ride home i saw a guy with tattoos and wearing a bintang bali singlet and carrying a bicycle on his shoulder.

The bike was a MTB and had a lock on the front wheel.

Guy had no helmet with him, clearly not a cyclist.

When i stopped at the lights he walked past so i just said:
ME: lost a key or something
Him: yeah
Him: i just live around the corner

Sure. Well wasnt really sure what else i can possibly do as far as the law goes.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

This happened in Perth.

g0zer
11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
neighborhood watch and it goes in their database.

ive done this before when ive seen a dude walking down the street with a computer over his shoulder. give the cops a description of the potential offender they can use. the local patrols can then look out for them and at least have a chance of picking the person up.

that kind of information probably doesnt mean much by itself, but if low end property thieves who are just looking for their next fix go and rip off a heap of places in a pattern and your description is in the right area at the right time and someone is missing a bike then the cops have something to go on.

out_in_front
11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
take some photos of the bloke with your phone - if he chases you its definitely stolen....

PolishBiker
11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion gozer.

out_in_front - i would rather choose techniques that do not put myself at risk of being chased and probably bitten up as a result

thro
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Get your lynching rope, some pitchforks and a community of PSBers.

Then set up camp on his lawn.

CitizenD
11-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Haggle on the price?

Rennis
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestion gozer.

out_in_front - i would rather choose techniques that do not put myself at risk of being chased and probably bitten up as a result

Nothing worse than getting bitten up! His mouth could be full of diseases ;)

CitizenD
11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Nothing worse than getting bitten up! His mouth could be full of diseases ;)

Or he's a zombie.

g0zer
11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
or a werewolf

CitizenD
11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
or a werewolf

Oh yeah, that's even worse.

The zombie couldn't ride the bike, so it's a headshot and get it back. But a werewolf? Well that's where you're gonna run into problems. You aren't catching a werewolf and if he's nicked your pushy when he's in human form, he's just gonna ride off on it.

You're pretty well fucked either way.

PolishBiker
11-12-2012, 07:03 PM
beaten up*

ok, this is not getting anywhere.

thanks for trying.

CitizenD
11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Sorry man, we tried.

Supernatural bike thieves are just beyond our field of expertise.