PDA

View Full Version : Royal prank call

Desmo
16-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure if you guys have heard it, but pretty standard fare to be honest, I'm amazed they got through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MjPPMLlZqo

And allegedly she has blamed the two DJs for her death. Seriously, what a fucking cunt.

Tragic suicide note to DJs written by nurse after royal hoax call: I hold you responsible | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248794/Tragic-suicide-note-DJs-written-nurse-royal-hoax-I-hold-responsible.html?ICO=most_read_module)

I'm sorry, but if you go and top yourself over something like this, it was more "the straw that broke the camel's back" than the root cause.
Thoughts?

marras
16-12-2012, 08:07 PM
The camel's back for me, but the big wigs as usual have a lot more to answer than any one else. They are getting out of this scott free.

Manyak
16-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Totally agree.. I can't help but feel it was also one of the 'go out with a bang' attention grabs. Tragic though.

AWSE
16-12-2012, 08:19 PM
The nurse messed up royally and she knew it.
My only sympathy goes to the radio hosts, too many people trying to blame them, Jacintha included.

out_in_front
16-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I still think the Royals arranged it... :ph34r:

Cbr1k
16-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I still think the Royals arranged it... :ph34r:

I was surfing a few links today and one conspiracy website is saying that :what:

agrid
16-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Those mindless breakfast shows with their prank calls shit me beyond tears. Give me News Radio any day. Having said that, the silly pommie nurse was going to kill herself within the next few days regardless of what some FM tools in Australia said.

filbert
16-12-2012, 08:36 PM
i've been waiting for someone pretending to be Barack Obama to call a hospital to see how someone is after the Connecticut shooting, no balls i tell ya.

darkfibre
16-12-2012, 08:41 PM
What we need to do is get a different radio station to ring up southern cross radio with a new prank call. Maybe pretend you were from the Feds and pretend there was a second suicide that had not been made public yet, etc.

Payback can be a bitch.

Old frt
16-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Personally I find prank calls puerile at best and most FM stations cater to the lowest common denominator for advertising revenue.
ie, the gullible who might actually listen to the ads spoken in some deep throated voice which somehow adds credence to a crap product.
No doubt the lady had other issues which tipped her over the edge.

I hope the morons who come up with this shit have a good look at the potential harm they may cause to their victims.

If you haven't noticed, suicide is on the increase and internet chat sites have a lot more to answer for than inane radio stations.

GreenMeanie
16-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Not often I agree with Desmo.

devolved
16-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Have cut up hundreds of 'gotchya calls'.

Approval was sought on every one. No approval, no broadcast.

Approval was not given for this call, Austereo broke their own rules.

Where is the person that approved the call?

He/she is letting the jocks take the rap.

Old frt
16-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Just listened to the 'call' for the first time.
If that is the best they can do in the name of comedic entertainment, then God help our future generations.

Makes Benny Hill look like a comedian.

Storm in a Jubilee commemorative teacup.

Rodent
16-12-2012, 09:19 PM
If the British media had left this nurse alone, she might still be alive. Instead they hound her so every knows who she is, then she tops herself.
British media then shift the blame to the DJ's.

She had problems well before the phone call for sure. Loveless arranged marriage could be just as much to blame....who knows.

Rickyredneck
16-12-2012, 09:20 PM
so... i was listening to the show when it was broadcast, and it was funny. had my little giggle and went on my way. what the nurse did after that call was her own decision. maybe it was outside perssure or shame but i think it was an over reaction from her and the media equally after, FFS can,t any one take a joke anymore.

Fergie90
16-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I mostly agree, it is more than likely the straw that broke the camels back. What you may find though, is that in India (where the lady was from), is that bringing shame to the family is a huge dishonour, and maybe she couldn't handle it all after the media attention it got?

EDIT: Everyone assumes that every culture has the same reasons for suicide, it is most certainly not the case. Maybe she simply didn't UNDERSTAND the joke?

CitizenD
16-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Crazy mole.

agrid
16-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I noticed that The Project had a good laugh when the prank was made, but then put on their sad faces and were keen to have the two DJs (and I use the term loosely) on the show after the nurse committed suicide.

Mo-Fo
16-12-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't understand how as a parent you can leave your kids motherless. I'm not a parent and kids aren't my thing but even I can't comprehend how selfish you have to be to do that to them.

15 minutes of fame or shame is exactly that too, before you know it the world moves onto the next dumb thing and forgets you. She couldn't just weather the storm for several weeks at least for the sake of her kids?

Old frt
16-12-2012, 09:46 PM
so... i was listening to the show when it was broadcast, and it was funny.

I must have missed the funny bit then, sounded like giggling schoolkids to me.

Here's a good one, pull my finger, hahahahahahaha, gets em every time.

darkfibre
16-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't understand how as a parent you can leave your kids motherless. I'm not a parent and kids aren't my thing but even I can't comprehend how selfish you have to be to do that to them.

15 minutes of fame or shame is exactly that too, before you know it the world moves onto the next dumb thing and forgets you. She couldn't just weather the storm for several weeks at least for the sake of her kids?
Depression generally looks inwards, not outwards.

CitizenD
16-12-2012, 10:17 PM
She transferred a call. I'd be flabbergasted if there was not a history of shit weighing on this lady for a very long time.

The scrutiny on the DJs is probably justified as (forgoing the "crazy calls just aren't funny" argument) they should have been savvy as to getting any medical information via subterfuge or deception is not just morally well dodgy but you'd think would be skirting the criminal charges dance floor...But the fucker who should get hanged for this one is the show's producer.

A bit more responsibility in broadcasting will result in bit more creativity in content.

Skut
16-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Was it shame in falling for such crap impersonations? As Cit D said, she transferred a call. The other nurse handled the call as anyone would if it were from supposed "family" - perhaps security was lax, or perhaps they are just trying to be normal people without the media trying to chase what passes for commercial FM entertainment.

devolved
16-12-2012, 11:22 PM
They obviously didn't think they would get through.

They were fucking amazed when it did - even though they couldn't get approval they had to play that call.

I probably would have made the same call. Play it. This'll put you on the map.

Sadly - like a game of 'Asteroids' from the 80's, every now and then when you hit hyperspace it puts you right in front of a big fucking asteroid and you die.

Some 'prank calls' are funny - and as I have mentioned before, quite often its workmates or family of people who are keen to dob them in for one thing or another. Once the joke is revealed a laugh is had and that's it.

Goes back to my initial point - they just didn't expect to get through and when they did they had the kind of radio gold you just can't keep hidden.

Now I totally agree - its generally lacklustre creativity that leads to these kinds of stupid calls - but sadly original, creative thoughts are not taken well in radioland most often. Easy, cheap ideas frequently win the day.

Spina
16-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Sorry, radio stations have got this shite all mixed up. Since when does every jock think they are funny?

Stop the shit crap talk and give us back THE MUSIC...They have forgotten why they are there, then again all the music they play is shit as well.....Thank God for personal players!!

CitizenD
16-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Easy, cheap ideas frequently win the day.

Imagination is the only truly free thing we have. Makes you wonder why so few people use it.

devolved
16-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Sorry, radio stations have got this shite all mixed up. Since when does every jock think they are funny?

Stop the shit crap talk and give us back THE MUSIC...They have forgotten why they are there, then again all the music they play is shit as well.....Thank God for personal players!!

You're not going to win on music. Your personal music player is always gonna have better music in it.

You're not gonna win on shitty jokes.

Radio is still doing what it was doing in 1978 - and it doesn't know where to go.

And CitizenD - Imagination takes a risk. Risk can equal lost revenue.

CitizenD
17-12-2012, 12:04 AM
You're not going to win on music. Your personal music player is always gonna have better music in it.

You're not gonna win on shitty jokes.

Radio is still doing what it was doing in 1978 - and it doesn't know where to go.

And CitizenD (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/member.php?u=5445) - Imagination takes a risk. Risk can equal lost revenue.

Killah! No notification on that one.

Risk averse organism perish. If the first heterotrophic anaerobes (? year 10 was along time ago) had have risked moving to the slightly cooler edges of their colonies in defiance of the quorum, we wouldn't be having this conversation. When we stop taking risks, we stop evolving and we die.

That line from Red Dwarf, "The human race began as slime and will end as slime." We seem to be on track.

Spina
17-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Killah! No notification on that one.

Risk averse organism perish. If the first heterotrophic anaerobes (? year 10 was along time ago) had have risked moving to the slightly cooler edges of their colonies in defiance of the quorum, we wouldn't be having this conversation. When we stop taking risks, we stop evolving and we die.

That line from Red Dwarf, "The human race began as slime and will end as slime." We seem to be on track.

Citizen, have you been conversing with gsx in the shed this evening? Lol

CitizenD
17-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Citizen, have you been conversing with gsx in the shed this evening? Lol

:D Not met the chap but let's be honest, this isn't exactly mysterious shit we're talking about here. If your first question is "why?" eventually you'll see the almost exact same patterns of behaviour in virtually all life just as we see the same biological components repeated across species.

shmoo
17-12-2012, 06:27 AM
The day after, some hospital spokesman popped up saying something like 'the mean radio people took advantage of this nurse who didn't know what to do as their was previously no protocol for handling such a situation'. No protocol for dealing with people asking to speak to a royal? At a hospital that has treated the royal family for 130 years? Please.

Scott52
17-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Personally I find prank calls puerile at best and most FM stations cater to the lowest common denominator for advertising revenue.
ie, the gullible who might actually listen to the ads spoken in some deep throated voice which somehow adds credence to a crap product.
No doubt the lady had other issues which tipped her over the edge.

I hope the morons who come up with this shit have a good look at the potential harm they may cause to their victims.

If you haven't noticed, suicide is on the increase and internet chat sites have a lot more to answer for than inane radio stations.

I think we're showing our age because I feel the same way about the inane babbling extroverted FM jocks where their humour is usually at someone elses expense or smutty 14 year old boy stuff.

The reality is they're dishing out what we the public want as we keep listening to this crap. If it didn't rate then they'd change their format.

The prank style of so called humour can go wrong if vulnerable people are at the receiving end. The FM jocks seem to think everyone must be like them and don't seem to realise people out there have all sorts of issues. The poor Nurse was unable to cope with the furore because she obviously had other problems.

I saw a great video clip of a TV or radio station doing a prank in a US shopping mall. I think they were pretending to rob people or something like that and this poor guy thought it was real and just decked this clown with a straight punch Danny Green would have been impressed with.

T.G
17-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I think the djs have stewed enough, when are the Brits going to reveal their prank back with a picture of the nurse sipping piŮa coladas on a beach in Hawaii?

CitizenD
17-12-2012, 09:29 AM
I think the djs have stewed enough, when are the Brits going to reveal their prank back with a picture of the nurse sipping piŮa coladas on a beach in Hawaii?

After the cricket one would presume.

Mo-Fo
17-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Depression generally looks inwards, not outwards.
Yes I guess you're right. I've always been upbeat so I don't know what it's like to be depressed and not be able to snap your brain out of it. It must truly be shit way to live having your brain as your own enemy.

Rat750
17-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Camels back.

Devout Roman Catholic commits mortal sin and codemns her soul for all eternity......over a prank call?

Don't think so.

CitizenD
17-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Camels back.

Devout Roman Catholic commits mortal sin and codemns her soul for all eternity......over a prank call?

Don't think so.

Maybe like almost every catholic I know, deep down she knew it's all just superstitious bullshit.

stromrider
17-12-2012, 12:20 PM
A bit more responsibility in broadcasting will result in bit more creativity in content.

Yes, Yes, Absolutely Yes!

And surely the nurses must know that the queen would have a direct line to Kate by mobile / minder / carrier pigeon. I mean, she's not your average Jane.

Dr. Venkman
17-12-2012, 12:49 PM
As shmoo said, the hospital had no protocols to deal with the situation? Whenever a Royal has been in the hospital, I do not doubt for one second that the brit tabloids/papparazi have not tried this before. Pot. Kettle. Black.

rod
17-12-2012, 05:28 PM
+1 for straw and camels back.

There were three suicide notes and one mentioned the DJ's and prank call. She may have been torn a new one by her immediate management - there has been no mention about that apart from some denials of anything of the sort by whoever runs the place. Really, she wouldn't have been given a blast for making the place look like it was run by fools? I never listen to commercial FM radio and feel that most people with anything to do with it are morons, but these two are really copping it big time and quite unfairly too. I would imagine the UK news is running all sorts of "America should fix its mental health" angles on what has happened there recently but how about their mental health management? Maybe this lady may not have slipped through the cracks and met with such a tragic end?

Flakey
17-12-2012, 06:18 PM
As someone with experience living with a suicidal person, can I please put some thoughts to you.

Suicide is not an easy way out. It takes a lot of determination to stand or sit on an edge knowing that the fall will kill you or to swallow drugs in the knowledge you’ll not survive.

It is usually a call for help and understanding in that the person is extremely distressed and has been unable to communicate to anyone on a level they need to.

They are often also under heavy medication which is known to change the chemical balance in the brain and push people this way. This includes a lot of prescription drugs.

Please don’t make judgement calls on why people attempt or commit suicide. This just re-enforces the stigma and stress the person is going through.

I only know what I’ve experienced and that it has taught me that no two people or situations are the same.

This is from my wife who has attempted suicide by overdose at least 5 times that I know of.

To think that a person committing suicide or a person who is even contemplating suicide is taking the easy way out is the greatest misunderstanding of mental illness.

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (severe degenerative arthritis that effects my ligaments, bone structure and organs) when I was 22 years old but started experiencing pain from the age of 9. When I was finally prescribed drugs to slow the progress of the disease the side effects of those medications brought on depression. I was then treated for depression, and these medications had side effects of depression as well, in addition to aggression, moody swings and insomnia. So all in all, I was treating my arthritis with drugs and then treating my drug induced depression with medication that eventually left me suffering from chronic suicidal ideology mental illness and serotonin syndrome. Whilst my drug combination is slightly better as the years have passed more side effects have presented themselves and most recently long term use of some of these drugs is presenting with sides effects of agoraphobia and anxiety.

People like myself, who suffer from suicidal thoughts, don’t make a decision to suicide or threaten to suicide so we can get our way. In the moments before we are attempting to suicide uncontrollable emotions take over and we fear death but most of all we cry and are deeply guttered and saddened by the thought of saying goodbye to all our loved ones. We know we have to say goodbye though as we think we are a financial burden and a burden in general. We don’t want others to have to take care of us for the rest of their lives. We think that if we kill ourselves now then our husbands/wives and kids will get the life insurance money that will cover the mortgage repayments (life insurance policies do pay out on suicide) so the family won’t have any financial worries. Not only that with me gone they won’t have to deal with the moods and uncertainties of caring for someone with physical and mental illnesses.

We dread every moment of what is happening to us because we know we are going to miss those we love so deeply but we hold onto the belief that we are doing the right thing because in that moment, in the moment of attempting to commit suicide, we believe we are freeing those we love from the burden of caring for us for the rest of our lives. There is no glory in suicide for us, it is the recognition and realisation of our failure to provide for our family and partners so we want to release them from their obligations for us.

That is often what a person who is attempting to commit suicide is thinking.

Please, help lessen the stigma that surrounds mental illness.

Uncle Stinky
17-12-2012, 06:33 PM
As a person who has had a family member commit suicide aswell as trying to commit suicide myself I find it interesting that most of the time people are always looking for who to blame when someone succeeds in killing themselves instead of trying to find out why they did it and how to prevent others and help them with their issues. The Are you OK day is good in my mind but alot of people may ask but don't really care they are just asking for the hell of it and sometimes they have a hard time helping when they do care but do not know how they can help. The whole world needs better education on how to help these people.

KiwiBiker
17-12-2012, 06:35 PM
If you were physically a vegetable or really a financial burden then I understand the logic. However if you can move and talk and feed yourself then I think it is selfish to commit suicide. Just my view don't wish to offend anyone or enter into debate of any sort.

Flakey
17-12-2012, 06:51 PM
If you were physically a vegetable or really a financial burden then I understand the logic. However if you can move and talk and feed yourself then I think it is selfish to commit suicide. Just my view don't wish to offend anyone or enter into debate of any sort.

Why is it selfish to want to die?

I know I can't stop my wife from attempting and possibly being successful. She will always find another way to do it. I sat down with her and told her that I acknowledged that it was ultimately her choice to make.

I found that by giving her power over her life, she has chosen to work hard at improving her mental and physical health. She has chosen not to attempt suicide (so far).

This is by no means a 'cure'. She still has very dark days and nights, but she knows I'm here and I'll do everything I can to support her.

This is all I would have asked of her, but I didn't have to because she was able to make this choice herself. She's still here and for that I'm forever grateful.

CitizenD
17-12-2012, 07:02 PM

I know one or two people who believed it was selfish prior to having a loved one hit rock bottom and opt out. Afterwards they began to appreciate just how hopeless their daughter felt before her death.

I don't know if it's a thing that we really need a fixed stance on, is it? We can't see the world through others' eyes and to live or die is a choice that we can only make for ourselves.

I don't begrudge anybody who goes early, I feel for their families and don't envy the confusion trying to come to terms with just why somebody couldn't get better. Some people just don't feel they fit this world and some find it overwhelming.

JEM
17-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Flakey, please thank your wife for sharing.

I also suffer from depression and have been in some very dark places.

It is hard to describe what suffering from depression is like, but when I have been at my worst, you only see the burden that you are on your family and friends. You believe that you are the cause of all their problems and that by not being around will release the burden that you are putting them under. When people express their worry for you, it merely reinforces your belief that everyone's issues will be solved by you not being around. Whilst outsiders may consider your action to be selfish, that is not what you see at. You do not see what you do as hurting others, you only see that it will make life easier for others.

I know that reading this appears to be pretty screwed up logic, but part of the depression is that you are not able to think on a rational scale. Depression is a mental health issue and can require hospitalisation.

I know for people who have not suffered depression or been close to people who suffer depression it may be hard to understand this but at the time it seems logical.

devolved
17-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Some people love music & love working in radio.

They're not all morons. Just clarifying.

mekon
17-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Not often I agree with Desmo.

For me it's the opposite for once, I usually share similar views. This though I feel Old frt has hit the nail squarely on the head. I have nothing more to say, most radio presenters are vapid, mouth breathing chatterboxes. I prefer the type of morning presenters on Triple J. I think people really want to see a bit of balance return to humour. Maybe something a bit more light hearted and not at the expense of someone all the time.

Old frt
17-12-2012, 09:01 PM
One of my neighbours suffers bouts of depression from time to time.
This is a man my age and a highly intelligent academic of some note.
Depression can afflict anybody anytime and it is not our place to judge or offer opinions on something we know little about.
If somebody has a broken bone, the diagnosis and treatment is relatively common and simple to repair.
Mental illness is probably far more prevalent than bodily injury yet receives nowhere near the treatment required to manage it.
Despite the efforts of Beyond Blue and many others, we still have people who think "pull yourself together you selfish bastard" is an acceptable response.

Fergie90
17-12-2012, 09:26 PM
I did suicide prevention training last week. I thoroughly recommend it to everyone.

devolved
17-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Austereo had one of their most talented young men commit suicide 5 years.

He was humble, gifted & a great guy - and yet suffered in silence from his affliction.

The trouble is you never quite know where someone else id at. That person you're flaming on the internet, insulting in a shop or yelling at on the phone.

No matter how much we try to keep it in mind we'll never be able to always consider it before we act.

That's why mental healthcare is so important.

Maybe write a letter to your local federal member & suggest some budgetry changes.

As for Triple J - its the same shit catered for a different audience. They lost their street cred years ago.

Sventek
17-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Depression can afflict anybody anytime and it is not our place to judge or offer opinions on something we know little about.
If somebody has a broken bone, the diagnosis and treatment is relatively common and simple to repair.
Mental illness is probably far more prevalent than bodily injury yet receives nowhere near the treatment required to manage it.
Despite the efforts of Beyond Blue and many others, we still have people who think "pull yourself together you selfish bastard" is an acceptable response.

And, tragically, from the 1st of January the government has seen fit to severely cut available services through Medicare - so now it will be almost impossible to receive proper treatment.

marras
17-12-2012, 09:44 PM
As for Triple J - its the same shit catered for a different audience. They lost their street cred years ago.
Yep, triple J lost my vote along time ago when Adam Spencer and Will Anderson left. The new DJ's have the brains of 14 year old kids. They talk about drugs like they are the coolest things to do.

Phildo
17-12-2012, 09:50 PM
And, tragically, from the 1st of January the government has seen fit to severely cut available services through Medicare - so now it will be almost impossible to receive proper treatment.
Let me know when you want taxi driving lessons.

Look at the bright side - you'll meet shitloads of people that could use your skillset.

(And quite a few that should have been in a certain US school last week.)

Desmo
17-12-2012, 09:52 PM

I agree with all of this, however; writing a suicide note and in it blaming a single person for them then taking their own life, doesn't make it any less of a cuntish thing to do.

Sventek
17-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Let me know when you want taxi driving lessons.

Deal!

Old frt
17-12-2012, 10:33 PM
I agree with all of this, however; writing a suicide note and in it blaming a single person for them then taking their own life, doesn't make it any less of a cuntish thing to do.

I dunno Jim, it's way out of my league, I am a simple engineer by trade.

Probably totally wrong but I wouldn't read too much into a suicide note written by some poor soul whose molehill suddenly became a mountain.

I suspect logic and rationale would play little part in that final note.

Again, I am only making assumptions based on the little I know about the subject.

However, we do need more optometrists in Canberra, the short sightedness has reached epidemic proportions

Spina
17-12-2012, 11:01 PM
I think we may be looking into the depression thing to deeply in this particular instance, among some of the none convict types there is an enormous loyalty to the monarchy that exists, if not in this country anymore! This women may have been overwhelmed with the knowledge that she compromised the royal family safety /security and felt the pressure for senior staff etc....but definitely agree there must by underlying mental issues that combined caused this overreaction.

Phildo
17-12-2012, 11:51 PM
One thing is crystal clear though:

When it comes to revenge, that lady really has had it nailed.

out_in_front
18-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Yep, triple J lost my vote along time ago when Adam Spencer and Will Anderson left. The new DJ's have the brains of 14 year old kids. They talk about drugs like they are the coolest things to do.

Have you heard Will Anderson talk about dope? f**k he loves the stuff...

MADOGA
18-12-2012, 09:08 AM
There were three suicide notes and one mentioned the DJ's and prank call.

that on its own is odd.

in hind site it was a silly practical joke
currently it seems to be more of a cash grab,
already the radio station are giving $500,000 and id expect at least as much from other news sources , story's etc.

Tim the PM
18-12-2012, 09:24 AM
As I'm not 10 years old I don't find this pathetic crap funny at all.
Hardly listen to the radio any more, it used to be about music...
96FM seem to be the only ones who remember this and actually play local bands as well, devolved :thumbs up:
As for 92.9 and nova they obviously target the 8-14 year old market

marras
18-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Have you heard Will Anderson talk about dope? f**k he loves the stuff...

Yeah, but not on radio when he was doing it.

Nudge
19-12-2012, 11:55 PM
As someone with experience living with a suicidal person, can I please put some thoughts to you.

Suicide is not an easy way out. It takes a lot of determination to stand or sit on an edge knowing that the fall will kill you or to swallow drugs in the knowledge youíll not survive.

It is usually a call for help and understanding in that the person is extremely distressed and has been unable to communicate to anyone on a level they need to.

They are often also under heavy medication which is known to change the chemical balance in the brain and push people this way. This includes a lot of prescription drugs.

Please donít make judgement calls on why people attempt or commit suicide. This just re-enforces the stigma and stress the person is going through.

I only know what Iíve experienced and that it has taught me that no two people or situations are the same.

This is from my wife who has attempted suicide by overdose at least 5 times that I know of.

To think that a person committing suicide or a person who is even contemplating suicide is taking the easy way out is the greatest misunderstanding of mental illness.

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (severe degenerative arthritis that effects my ligaments, bone structure and organs) when I was 22 years old but started experiencing pain from the age of 9. When I was finally prescribed drugs to slow the progress of the disease the side effects of those medications brought on depression. I was then treated for depression, and these medications had side effects of depression as well, in addition to aggression, moody swings and insomnia. So all in all, I was treating my arthritis with drugs and then treating my drug induced depression with medication that eventually left me suffering from chronic suicidal ideology mental illness and serotonin syndrome. Whilst my drug combination is slightly better as the years have passed more side effects have presented themselves and most recently long term use of some of these drugs is presenting with sides effects of agoraphobia and anxiety.

People like myself, who suffer from suicidal thoughts, donít make a decision to suicide or threaten to suicide so we can get our way. In the moments before we are attempting to suicide uncontrollable emotions take over and we fear death but most of all we cry and are deeply guttered and saddened by the thought of saying goodbye to all our loved ones. We know we have to say goodbye though as we think we are a financial burden and a burden in general. We donít want others to have to take care of us for the rest of their lives. We think that if we kill ourselves now then our husbands/wives and kids will get the life insurance money that will cover the mortgage repayments (life insurance policies do pay out on suicide) so the family wonít have any financial worries. Not only that with me gone they wonít have to deal with the moods and uncertainties of caring for someone with physical and mental illnesses.

We dread every moment of what is happening to us because we know we are going to miss those we love so deeply but we hold onto the belief that we are doing the right thing because in that moment, in the moment of attempting to commit suicide, we believe we are freeing those we love from the burden of caring for us for the rest of our lives. There is no glory in suicide for us, it is the recognition and realisation of our failure to provide for our family and partners so we want to release them from their obligations for us.

That is often what a person who is attempting to commit suicide is thinking.

Please, help lessen the stigma that surrounds mental illness.

Thanks for putting this up, i read it the other day, didn't think that i would be visiting the subject in a closer personal way than just right now. It has in some small way helped me with some perspective as we assist my other halfs family in dealing with this very subject right now. :(