PDA

View Full Version : Can you give Sonia a home?

Roger Explosion
25-12-2012, 12:09 PM
This is Sonia.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/brynley05/Sonia/278173_10151306976755489_606651687_o.jpg
She is seven years old and has spent the bulk of her life living in a cage. We've been caring for her for the past month and she has really come into her own. She is VERY loving, playful and possibly borderline retarded :lol:

If your not familiar with greyhounds, this is their default setting:
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/brynley05/Sonia/PC210103_zps41f8a8e3.jpg
They sleep for about 20 hours a day and only need a short daily walk.
What sort of home is Sonia looking for?
One where she will be treated as one of the family. Although she is perfectly OK to be left by herself when you are out, by nature Greyhounds are very much like a second shadow. Although they don't have to be constantly patted (not that Sonia won't like that) they are very happy just to hang out in the same room as you. They are also very much an indoor dog. Their skin is very thin and they burn and feel the cold easily.
Although she is largish, she is not very strong and she is very lazy, so anybody can take her for a walk.

If you feel Sonia is your kind of dog, send me a PM. She is fully vaccinated and fixed, although when she goes to her permanent home you will need to get her micro chipped.
I am more than happy to take her back if after a week you find she is not the dog for you.

(backstory: She is not my dog, I am just fostering her and teaching her how to be pet)

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/brynley05/Sonia/PC170095_zpscb91c5ab.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/brynley05/Sonia/PC170090_zps30a9bc9e.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/brynley05/Sonia/PC150078_zps6f5f82ec.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/brynley05/Sonia/PB290009_zps957957b7.jpg

She is also quite the talented Pianist.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/brynley05/Sonia/PC250108_zpsac796ffb.jpg

Sunshine & F'n Rainbows
25-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Lovely dog is lovely. Wish I could help myself mate.

Roger Explosion
25-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to add. She is very clean and house trained. She'll go to the toilet when you get up and you can leave her home while your at work, she'll go to the loo when you get home.

Desmo
25-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Greyhounds, the opposite dog to how you would perceive them to be.
Gorgeous dogs.

Fusion
25-12-2012, 01:24 PM
awe she's beautiful. il ask my old mate joe if we can have her on his 5acre property to play with his other resue dog, buddy the german shnauzer :)

SPman
25-12-2012, 06:13 PM
She is VERY loving, playful and possibly borderline retarded http://cdn04.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gifA bit like German short-haired pointers.......

Chaos-incarnate
25-12-2012, 07:25 PM
She looks gorgeous :) unfortunately with my lifestyle I can't have a dog- it wouldn't be fair to her. I hope you find somewhere for her

deeman111
25-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do greyhounds need muzzles when walking in public but no other dogs do? From what ive heard they aren't an aggressive species so why make them look intimaditing with a muzzle?

Good luck in finding her a home

agrid
25-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Because they like fava beans and chianti.

zero
25-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do greyhounds need muzzles when walking in public but no other dogs do? From what ive heard they aren't an aggressive species so why make them look intimaditing with a muzzle?

I wondered this also the other day after meeting another rescue...beautiful.

From the Dog Act 1976:

"33. Special provision for greyhounds
(1) A greyhound shall, except while it is on premises occupied by
its owner, be muzzled in such a manner as will prevent it from
biting a person or animal.
(2) Section 31 applies to a greyhound subject to the following
modifications
(a) the exemptions in subsection (2)(a) and (b) of that
section shall not apply;
(b) a greyhound is exempt from section 31(1) while it is
participating in a greyhound race or trial held under a
licence issued under the Racing and Wagering Western
Australia Act 2003; and."

-Some other words-.

What nonsense - particularly with the culture of breeding for success and reliance on rescue to clean up.

I hope she gets rehomed. I have no interest in racing but a greyhound running free is the epitomy of grace. Too many are bred and thrown away. Did I say they are beautiful animals?

Roger Explosion
25-12-2012, 09:33 PM

Good luck in finding her a home

Old laws that never got repealed mostly.
As a breed they have a very strong prey drive, which is then fully encouraged from a very young age. After retiring, it is very hard to suddenly teach them not to chase small white fluffy things. Most are fine with other dogs, some (my Rex included) never lose their drive so have to keep the muzzles on.
Sonia hasn't shown much interest in other dogs, but she will have to wear a muzzle while in public from a purely legal stand point. One thing people need to know is you can't have greyhounds off leash in public. Laws again, coupled with the fact it is almost impossible to teach them recall.
Amazing pets, you just have know what the can and can't be expected to do. I like to think of them as big cats.

peter600
26-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I met a greyhound a while ago. Couldn't believe how soft their coat is. And beautiful natured, they are [sorry for the Yodaspeak]
Got a dog already. Good luck to Sonia. Definitely sounds the go for someone who doesn't want too much dog activity.
Our mutt prefers walks to food..... but food comes a very close second....

Fusion
26-12-2012, 03:20 PM
oooh my untie and uncle in lesmurdie said that they would love her :). please pm me your ph number and i will pass it on to them. thanx

Old frt
26-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Met your dogs at Shents, love to take Sonia, our labs would be fine with her but the rabbit may not approve.

Roger Explosion
26-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I made a small FB page for her.
If you'd like to share it around that would be very much appreciated.
:-)
http://www.facebook.com/Sonianeedsahome

Roger Explosion
26-12-2012, 07:51 PM
oooh my untie and uncle in lesmurdie said that they would love her :). please pm me your ph number and i will pass it on to them. thanx

Ohh. Almost missed this.
Pm sent :)

Fergie90
26-12-2012, 08:45 PM
She looks beautiful!! ^_^ I've got two small cats, otherwise I'd be really interested!

Oh god I WANT ONE!

Twigs
26-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Days like this- I wish I didn't have such a cranky cat who hated everything but herself...
She looks like the perfect dog for me! Lazy! :P
Best of luck- I hope she finds her forever home x

Skut
26-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Come on folks! Anyone dogless needs this wonderfully goofy creature in their home (I already have a dog or I would snap her up - dogs belong on your sofa!). I have not met Sonia, but I have met Rex a few times and greyhounds are the ultimate lounge lizard (and possibly the most unfortunately misunderstood breed after the "Pitt-Bulls")

Twigs
26-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Will you trade for a grumpy cat? lol jks. My mum would kill me. I love the first photo of her with her tongue slightly out :)

Phildo
30-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Our labs would be fine with her but the rabbit may not approve.
Only a problem for the first day...

Desmo
30-12-2012, 11:36 AM
(and possibly the most unfortunately misunderstood breed after the "Pitt-Bulls")

Anyone who met my Sprocket (Pitbull) would attest to this.

Roger Explosion
11-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Sonia will be down at the Wellard markets this Sunday between 10 and 1 at the Wellard train station car park.
There will also be a bunch of other greyhounds looking for homes, so come on down and meet the dogs if you live down that way.
Adopt a Greyhound | Adopt a Greyhound (http://greyhoundadoptionswa.com.au/)
(yes I know the website is a bit crappy, the organisation is pretty much an elderly lady with an email address!)

Twigs
11-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Best of luck- I would've thought you would have found a home for her by now... Sorry to hear you haven't. Don't worry- she looks like a gorgeous dog and I'm sure someone will want her :)

Fusion
11-01-2013, 09:22 PM
i had found a GREAT and Wonderful home for sonia with my aunt and uncle, who are dog lovers and wealthy and loving people. BUT they were told they werent allowed to adopt sonia because she would live in there luxury 1/4 acre backyard. and sonia is only allowed to go to a family that will keep her inside! WTF..... dogs are outside animals and pikky people will turn away great homes for there own stupidity~!!!!!!!

FJ Steve
11-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I think you need to heed your signature 'KellsBells"

Fusion
11-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I think you need to heed your signature 'KellsBells"

or change it to this one..... :wallbash:

Uni
11-01-2013, 09:42 PM
or simply convince them to let the dog inside? If it means that much.

filbert
11-01-2013, 09:44 PM
they're very sensitive to the weather KellsBells sunburn and skin cancers are a major risk as well as illness from the effects of cold, most are retired race dogs through the rescue so they have been kenneled most of their lives and the open space will pretty much drive them nuts or if there is stimulus to make them run then they will run until exhaustion.

indoors really is the only option unless you have a sheltered kennel but then they're just back where they started.

Fusion
11-01-2013, 09:48 PM
ok point taken, but not entirely true. i used to live in bunbury with a mate sarah, who used to foster greyhounds. they live fine inside whil ya home and fine outside while ya at work. like most animals do :D

Skut
11-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Domestic dogs (as opposed to working dogs) should be indoor animals, if that is their choice. Why own a dog as a companion if it stays outdoors? They are social by nature, and need to be with their family.

Twigs
11-01-2013, 09:49 PM
It's not "Picky People" It'll be educated people making the best decision for the dog. Every dog is different and owners need to cater for their needs.
Sonia is probably happiest, safest and at her best being indoors. Not all pets are meant to be outdoors- hence the term "Domesticated." I know a few vets now recommend to keep cats indoors..... We will make that decision when we get another cat to reduce the risk of feline leukaemia and feline aids- along with "cat fights" and to increase the life span of the animal and make it most comfortable.

peter600
11-01-2013, 09:51 PM
So, there's method in the madness.....
working dogs are outside animals but other than that, they've been indoors for thousands of years.

filbert
11-01-2013, 09:52 PM
edit: probably better for pm....

rgvlee
11-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Back on topic, Brynley I am surprised, no that's not the word; shocked, there it is; that you were able to find a photo of your dogs where they aren't flashing their junk at the camera. If running after small fluffy things is their first calling in life then this trait is a close second.

Fusion
11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
over 100 greyhounds get put down (killed) every year because they are not wanted. it is a godsend when a nice family say.... hey i'l take the dog and love it.,. but NO these poor dogs end up getting put down because of politics!!!!!!

Roger Explosion
11-01-2013, 09:55 PM
i had found a GREAT and Wonderful home for sonia with my aunt and uncle, who are dog lovers and wealthy and loving people. BUT they were told they werent allowed to adopt sonia because she would live in there luxury 1/4 acre backyard. and sonia is only allowed to go to a family that will keep her inside! WTF..... dogs are outside animals and pikky people will turn away great homes for there own stupidity~!!!!!!!

I spoke with your aunt (a lovely sounding lady) but due to fact that Sonia wasn't going to be allowed inside, I had to decline their kind offer. I'm not going to allow Sonia to go to home where she will not be 100% percent happy.
Being left outside = very unhappy greyhound.
Sonia wasn't the dog for them, so its really not a big deal.
Please don't make mountains out of mole hills.

Edit: This is REALLY not a thread for you to air your grievances.

Skut
11-01-2013, 10:08 PM
It's not "Picky People" It'll be educated people making the best decision for the dog. Every dog is different and owners need to cater for their needs.
Sonia is probably happiest, safest and at her best being indoors. Not all pets are meant to be outdoors- hence the term "Domesticated." I know a few vets now recommend to keep cats indoors..... We will make that decision when we get another cat to reduce the risk of feline leukaemia and feline aids- along with "cat fights" and to increase the life span of the animal and make it most comfortable.

So, there's method in the madness.....
working dogs are outside animals but other than that, they've been indoors for thousands of years.

over 100 greyhounds get put down (killed) every year because they are not wanted. it is a godsend when a nice family say.... hey i'l take the dog and love it.,. but NO these poor dogs end up getting put down because of politics!!!!!!

All salient points I would personally be happy to debate over in another thread, but as stated - this is a thread about finding a family for Sonia, and she has had the good fortune to be fostered and made "home ready" in a particular way. This is not someone trying to "offload" a dog, just seeking a suitable home for THIS dog as who she is - a sofa-ready doofus who has learned affection for possibly the first time and now loves it :)

...sorry Roger if I step over the mark in this.