PDA

View Full Version : I'm a flipping idiot! Didn't keep copy of transfer papers

Chaderotti
29-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Hey guys,

I just sold my car. This is obviously a first time for me, and in the confusion and joy of selling my car, I didn't keep a copy of the bloody transfer papers!
DOT is closed for a while. What do I do??

Manyak
29-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Where are they? Did the buyer take both copies? Have you called him/her yet?

Luckily you're the seller so don't really stand to lose anything, it's in the buyers interest to mail your copy in anyway. Worst case scenario you get a $120 fine for not handing it in.

Chaderotti
29-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah the buyer took both copies.

Am I liable for anything?

vbroom
29-12-2012, 02:57 PM
he needs to send his copy in anyway.

are you able to ring the buyer?

might as well ask him if he can send in both copies.

Chaderotti
29-12-2012, 02:59 PM
The problem is the family lives in Karratha so they're on the road still.

Would it be possible for the buyer to 'lose' the transfer papers and cause a kerfuffle?

JamieBlade
29-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I just sold my car last week. It's the seller who has to send in the green copy, not the buyer's pink copy...and within 7 days of the sale. The buyer just keeps the pink copy for his/her records. Once the seller sends in the green copy, the gov't get the information that it's been transferred and send the buyer the invoice for the stamp duty etc. I'd be ringing the buyer and asking for it back, as you'll also be sent any traffic infringement notices until the gov't know you don't own it any more.

deano68er
29-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Go to police station and file with them what has happened for a physical copy of report to keep. That way you have been seen to do something before anything untoward may happen.

Roger Explosion
29-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I just sold my car last week. It's the seller who has to send in the green copy, not the buyer's pink copy...and within 7 days of the sale. The buyer just keeps the pink copy for his/her records. Once the seller sends in the green copy, the gov't get the information that it's been transferred and send the buyer the invoice for the stamp duty etc. I'd be ringing the buyer and asking for it back, as you'll also be sent any traffic infringement notices until the gov't know you don't own it any more.

Not any more dude. Buyer also has to send in red copy. They have an extra 7 days to do it though.

JamieBlade
29-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Not any more dude. Buyer also has to send in red copy. They have an extra 7 days to do it though.
Oh, my bad. I obviously didn't read his copy very carefully :) I was too busy counting the cash :D

vosHonda
29-12-2012, 03:44 PM
That`s right. The sellers responsibility is to send the green copy to DOT. Buyer is to keep the pink copy until paper work will be sent to him by DOT to pay stamp duty.

Manyak
29-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't worry mate. Call the buyer and tell them to mail your copy in. Or if you think they'll bullshit you, tell them to mail YOU your copy. You have nothing to lose - you have cash and they have a car registered in your name. If they don't want to play ball you simply tell them you'll report it stolen.

Falcore
29-12-2012, 04:29 PM
go an report it to cops etc, or do a stat dec from transport.

take it your familiar with owner onus laws?

and its the duty of BOTH partys to send in the copies. both sides face infringement if not done. just the buyer gets 14 days to do it. paying the transfer fee they get another few weeks.

vk308
29-12-2012, 05:31 PM
go an report it to cops etc, or do a stat dec from transport.

take it your familiar with owner onus laws?

and its the duty of BOTH partys to send in the copies. both sides face infringement if not done. just the buyer gets 14 days to do it. paying the transfer fee they get another few weeks.

I have never sent in the pink forms as a purchaser and have never been fined for not doing so. And I have filled them in on at least 10 occasions so far, the latest was 3 weeks ago, and I have since received stamp duty etc in my name just last week

I have also left it longer than 7 days as a seller and got a nice $100 fine.

As long as the seller mails their copy everything will be fine.

vosHonda
29-12-2012, 05:45 PM
I have never sent in the pink forms as a purchaser and have never been fined for not doing so. And I have filled them in on at least 10 occasions so far, the latest was 3 weeks ago, and I have since received stamp duty etc in my name just last week

I have also left it longer than 7 days as a seller and got a nice $100 fine.

As long as the seller mails their copy everything will be fine.
That`s right

Rennis
29-12-2012, 07:22 PM
To cover your ass go into the transport department and if in another form, they will put it in a dump file that way if a fine comes in you won't cop it
Sold mine and buyer took both and never sent in either copy

Chaderotti
29-12-2012, 10:35 PM
I have the green copy now. That's all sorted.

Thanks a lot everyone!

AdN
30-12-2012, 07:00 AM
I was given all copies when i bought my bike, don't think the seller realised he needed to send his copy in. I just sent both in, not a big deal.