PDA

View Full Version : Australia Day

Farbs
08-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Well Australia Day is almost here and only being new to Perth I was wondering what sort of events are on around the place. I know the skyshow is on but I thought what better people to ask than locals.

JamieBlade
08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Track Day at Barbagello. That's where I'll be :D But there are a few other non-bike related things going on too, mostly round the CBD I guess.

Manyak
08-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Usually the foreshore is the place to be.. Haven't gone in a while but used to be pretty good back in 09/10.. Anyone know if you're still allowed to drink at the foreshore?

=Maz=
08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Anyone know if you're still allowed to drink at the foreshore?

God I hope so...always makes for a better news cast the next day.
Fuck the Sky-show!! Biggest yobbo, knob-fest ever. However, it does draw the crowds which makes anywhere else you go that much more pleasant. :)

chew
08-01-2013, 09:19 AM
BYO Picnic Zones | Australia Day Skyworks - City of Perth (http://skyworks.showmeperth.com.au/where-to-go/byo-picnic-zones)

There is a spot we found the other year with no lighting and very few people and a huge grassed area. Will probably pushy ride down there again this year. Only a twenty minute ride from our place.

Mr_Mike
08-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Fuck goin to the foreshore, will b at home in the spa, heap of mates around, home made slippery slide and triple J hottest 100 cranked on the stereo. Then while pissed will attempt to climb up on the roof and watch the skyworks.

Manyak
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Fuck goin to the foreshore, will b at home in the spa, heap of mates around, home made slippery slide and triple J hottest 100 cranked on the stereo. Then while pissed will attempt to climb up on the roof and watch the skyworks.

Address or it doesn't count..

Happy Steve
08-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Maybe the 96fm skyworks over the ocean at Freo?

okitoki
08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
you should do the skyshow at least once in your life so you can say "I will never ever go back to it again" every year :lol:

I did not mind the fireworks, but trying to get a parking, dealing with crowds of drunken yobbos, fights, getting stuck in traffic trying to get out of the city..... yeah... good fun...

Farbs
08-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Haha by the sounds of it the sky show is not the place to go. I have been once before when I was about 10 and in Perth for holidays

spem
08-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Foreshore is balls.

BBQ, alcohol, kiddie pool, JJJ hottest 100.

Avoid the dickheads altogether.

Farbs
08-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Might have to make the most of the pool at the caravan park lol

Macey
08-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Usually the foreshore is the place to be.. Haven't gone in a while but used to be pretty good back in 09/10.. Anyone know if you're still allowed to drink at the foreshore?

might even get lucky, see a bit of ol' fashioned bogan biffo.

alas I'm the lucky sod who gets to work all day. mmm double loading

Huggy
08-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Straya day

Wear an Aussie flag as a cape, drink beer, eat red meat, and tell anyone who isn't white to "fuck off we're full".

That's how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AchHTN-XQ

okitoki
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
I noticed the city side is a little better in terms of crowd behaviors... I lived on the south Perth side since '96 - '05... every Aust day we would get people parking right up to our drive ways blocking our car, thefts, break ins around the area, vandalism, broken glasses and bottles, fights and cops....

shan
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
God I hope so...always makes for a better news cast the next day.
Fuck the Sky-show!! Biggest yobbo, knob-fest ever. However, it does draw the crowds which makes anywhere else you go that much more pleasant. :)

Last time I went was a year ago , Parked at causway bike shops, no hassel, walked arround the corner to the forshore.
Light rain, thunder , awsome.
just as the show started , to our right, the helicopter was landing with the big flag, city back drop, looked absolutly amazing with the big thunder couds . very awe inspiring.
we had a great crowd arround us, the only wight group was us, our little family of two adults , two kids.
Lucky I am a boagan as we where worried about the coulture effect on the masses being misguided.
Also when the flag was lowerd via helicopter , a huge crack of thunder made everyone jump.
was very cool indeed.
Getting out was as easy as get in the car and drive, no hassel .
we litraly drove down , had a stroll down arround the corner, crused back to the car and drove home with not a single hassel or complaint to be had.

andymac
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Last time I went was a year ago , Parked at Causeway bike shops, no hassle, walked around the corner to the foreshore.

This is the way to go.

Park close-ish, have short walk and fuck off the second the last firework has gone bang. I've been home to Whitfords 25 mins after the show finished the last couple of times I've done this.

Desmo
08-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Get out me country.

andymac
08-01-2013, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRhBRg-XkWY

Fucking gold Ken Oathcarn

Dr. Venkman
09-01-2013, 10:48 PM
I live in West Perth and I'm going to the Freo fireworks for something different, we used to walk up to Kings Park to watch, but as mentioned earlier the drunk fucktards that seem to be breeding at an exponentially faster rate than cockroaches piss me off too much.

Oh and you have to eat lamb on Australia Day :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqsyXPkG3I

JimmyR
09-01-2013, 11:10 PM
What I don't get is all the flag waving these days. It's un-Australian! That's what seppos do. All those dickheads driving around with Aussie flags attached to their car windows - why?? We KNOW we're in Australia. It's a really long flight to be anywhere else. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if we got rid of the bloody union jack on our flag. When I was a kid it was a matter of great personal pride if you didn't know the words to the national anthem. Nationalism is downright un-Australian.

(gets off soap box and has a beer)

GUE57
10-01-2013, 06:07 PM
But we are still part of the commonwealth, and if we weren't, it will always be a part of our history.

Phildo
10-01-2013, 06:26 PM
What I don't get is all the flag waving these days. It's un-Australian! That's what seppos do. All those dickheads driving around with Aussie flags attached to their car windows - why??
Psychology - people think that by waving or wearing an Australian flag, it gives them an excuse to carry on like a drunk fuckwit.

Jamathi
10-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Boat on swan river, fire works!

JimmyR
11-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I know the poms were part of our (very short european) history, but a few hundred years is nothing compared to the 40-50 000 years that people were here before them. And these days I reckon the best thing about living in Australia is anything but the poms - how crap would Australia be without all the other cultures and people who have come here? Rather than wave a union jack we should be celebrating that so many different cultures not only live here but provide such great eating!

I am of british decent a few generations ago but married a beautiful croatian girl. I work with people from Viet Nam, India, Sri Lanka, Iran, Germany, Frances, Switzerland, Kenya, Malaysia, China - the list is endless. THAT's what I think is worth celebrating. Not some poncey poms who reckoned they could own whatever they wanted. I think the pommie bit is becoming less relevant but I guess most people like to keep things as they are. I don't think most Aussies realise that our current flag actually isn't that old at all - it certainly doesn't date back to federation.

BOFH
11-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Ugh, can you imagine living in a never-ending episode of the Sullivans?

okitoki
11-01-2013, 04:57 PM
I actually never watched an episode of The Sullivans... what is it about or is it like a continuation of bad soap operas like the crap we get like Home & Away, country practice and Neighbors (Only watched a few episodes when young because of Kylie :D )

chew
11-01-2013, 05:10 PM
I always go now in the hope that some young buck with his aussie flag shirt, boardies, thongs and cape asks me to swear allegiance to the flag so I can tell him and his mates to fuck off.

Or alternatively a copper tries to bust me for having a beer or a joynt so I can tell them to fuck off also.

'Straya, FUCK OFF.

We would always attend to take the kids but they are all growed up now so the missus and I will head down on the pushies again most likely.

All a load of bullshit anyway, excuse for a day off, just like "christmas break". Why is Monday a public holiday again?

Should be on the day we became a federation.

Bendito
11-01-2013, 05:32 PM
^ The first of January?

Old frt
11-01-2013, 05:42 PM
All a load of bullshit anyway, excuse for a day off, just like "christmas break". Why is Monday a public holiday again?.

Leave our public holidays alone ya mug.

S'unAustrayan.:mad:

JimmyR
11-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Yeah! We definitely should keep the holiday. It's the Australian way to take the holiday and don't ask too many questions about it. Just take the holiday!

Skut
11-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Australia Day - Concept

Imagine if every Aussie (regardless of heritage, you're here) went to work and went to town on a great workplace/vocational/trade concept - the profits being equally shared amongst the people who came up with and put the energy into it...

Oops, sorry, I got carried away. Far easier to watch fireworks to a crap FM radio sound-track.

Prefectionist
11-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Went last year and parked at the convention centre. Sure, I had to pay a bit to park, but it was empty and reasonably secure. Didn't take long to get home either. A lot of pissed dickheads were at the foreshore though, so even if I wasn't working, I would give it a miss.

chew
12-01-2013, 05:24 AM
^ The first of January?

That would be the one, a day that actually means something aside from opening a new gaol in what is now another state.

Rooboy
12-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Australia Day = Invasion Day.
F*&K Off we're full bruda.

Macey
12-01-2013, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AchHTN-XQ

boeman
12-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Im all for patriotism. My issue is the dickheads who are wearing the flags as capes. Flags should NOT touch the ground at any point, massively disrespectful. My grandpa a few years ago, WW2 vet, saw it on the news and was fucking furious.
If you want to wear a flag, get some shitty tattoo. Theres certain etiquette with flags that i think should be adhered to. Dragging it around the ground, you may as well burn the thing in my eyes.

PS Karrinyup Shopping Centre top car park has a wicked view of the city/fireworks, and good place for a skate.

Desmo
12-01-2013, 10:48 AM
You really do waste no time in making it apparent that you are a colossal douchebag, do you.

keys
12-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I now know how to use the ignore button thanks WN

GUE57
13-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Im all for patriotism. My issue is the dickheads who are wearing the flags as capes. Flags should NOT touch the ground at any point, massively disrespectful. My grandpa a few years ago, WW2 vet, saw it on the news and was fucking furious.
If you want to wear a flag, get some shitty tattoo. Theres certain etiquette with flags that i think should be adhered to. Dragging it around the ground, you may as well burn the thing in my eyes.

Not that I am a douche that wears a flag cape, but I never considered that.

Cbr1k
13-01-2013, 03:14 PM
So where are the good places to park a bike as close as possible to the fireworks SOR?

shan
13-01-2013, 03:18 PM
In lign of sight

Phildo
13-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Various spots on the South Perth foreshore. However, it is all blocked off to vehicles unless you live in the area.

You can prove this with your driver's licence. Or a recent utilities bill. That may or may not have had the address Photoshopped.

GreenMeanie
13-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Various spots on the South Perth foreshore. However, it is all blocked off to vehicles unless you live in the area.

You can prove this with your driver's licence. Or a recent utilities bill. That may or may not have had the address Photoshopped.

You always have a cunning plan.

thro
13-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Well Australia Day is almost here and only being new to Perth I was wondering what sort of events are on around the place. I know the skyshow is on but I thought what better people to ask than locals.

Basically you steal a shopping trolley, fill it up with booze and then go make a dick of yourself on the perth foreshore.

Or at least that's the way it used to work last time i went :lol:

GreenMeanie
13-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Basically you steal a shopping trolley, fill it up with booze and then go make a dick of yourself on the perth foreshore.

Or at least that's the way it used to work last time i went :lol:

That must have been awhile back. I too remember the first few years of them. Yes we were legally able to take whatever you wanted.
Each year there seemed to be more rules and after the 3rd or 4th time it was just too damn hard.
I haven't been for over 20 years.

A few days before last years do, I road along Mill Point Rd (probably going to a sS ride) and there was temporary security fencing erected along most of the area. Aren't you allowed in that area anymore?

thro
13-01-2013, 05:23 PM
2000 i think...

ReCon
13-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Both the wife and myself are doing 12's that weekend. Should be good as we can both get tatts of the Southern Cross on our shoulders just like the fat 50 year old women in the shopping centres. :rolleyes:

BOFH
13-01-2013, 07:29 PM
101 Aussie Hits on sale now! Get it for your 'Straya day party!