PDA

View Full Version : Learner permit in general and King´s Park in particular

ripper1199
09-01-2013, 09:43 PM
I read through the conditions of my friends newly acquired Learner´s Permit that she may drive everywhere except King´s Park and surely there must be a reasoning as I found that most intriguing?

Also I was tempted to write "she may drive all over Australia except 4 sq km King´s Park". But then I wondered whether that is indeed true and one may drive around with someone watching one outside of WA on a WA Learner´s permit?

Halo_2
09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Too many people/children around

Red_is_Best
09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I always assumed it was just to avoid kings park becoming a mass hell on earth of learner clusters

JEM
09-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I believe that the roads in Kings Park belong the Kings Park Board and governed by the statute that created Kings Park. Also, as Halo_2 has said, Kings Park is a shared tourist / pedestrian zone in places.

Also, a WA learners permit is only valid in WA

seandre
10-01-2013, 08:05 AM
The reason learners are banned in Kings Park is due to there being a bad crash in Kings Park many years ago when a learner driver lost control and ran over a family having a picnic. IIRC a young girl suffered horrific injuries in the crash when she was pinned under the exhaust.

The law makers subsequently decided that there was too much risk of a repeat incident and no real need for learner drivers to have access to that area. Therefore, they (learners) were excluded from being able to enter the grounds of Kings Park.

madscientist59
10-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I believe that the roads in Kings Park belong the Kings Park Board and governed by the statute that created Kings Park. Also, as Halo_2 has said, Kings Park is a shared tourist / pedestrian zone in places.

Also, a WA learners permit is only valid in WA

Yes this is totally true, Kings Park is a botanical zoo declared by the Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority Act 1998 and Regulations 1999
Its nearly a state in its own right... right down to screening of all organic materials that go in and out of the park (not easy doing work in the park due to botanical contamination). The statues go back a long way to 1895, maybe it was related to learners on horseback :lol:

Even the Rangers have special powers to enforce speed limits within the park, with rights to write speeding tickets
If your really keen guess you can look up the 1998 Act and see what the law actually states and when it was changed?

Kings Park Board (http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/about-us)