PDA

View Full Version : FIFO

Farbs
10-01-2013, 05:57 PM
So how many psb members are FIFO and what sort of roster do you do. Have been offered a FIFO job and I have done 2/1 driving all over the goldfields before but this position is 4 weeks on 1 week off. I'm thinking too much work and not enough time to play. Thoughts?

I Like ( . Y . )
10-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I did fifo ex telfer for 7 years now based in perth Rio control centre doing 6/6 but go home each night, 2/1 is a very old roster these days but generally gets you more money.

Rennis
10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Doing 8/6 at clown break atm fmg are going towards 2/1 to save pennies chrissycreek is now 2/1 Solomon's 2/1
4/1 is a shit roster and is mostly used in the constuction game.

My last stint away thank f@$k but to town and home each night

Farbs
10-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Doing 8/6 at clown break atm fmg are going towards 2/1 to save pennies chrissycreek is now 2/1 Solomon's 2/1
4/1 is a shit roster and is mostly used in the constuction game.

My last stint away thank f@$k but to town and home each night

Yeh this roster is on a mine under construction. The only good point I can think of is the money

Jaw
10-01-2013, 06:15 PM
I do a 3:1 and I find it mind numbing. The wages guys do a 4:1, and I honestly don't know how.. If I do FIFO again, I won't be looking for longer than a 2:1 personally.. but then some people do it no worries..

Gimpy
10-01-2013, 06:20 PM
I spent 6 months out doing an 8/6 roster - i do HR so i've recruited anything for 9/5 days to 6/1 weeks, see some interesting people on those 6x1's

Interesting to hear about cloudbreak as my team and I Recruited 300 people to go up there last year, most of the guys were only interested as it was 8/6 (which i totally understand, 2x1 is even a stretch).

Depends on what sort of life you have /want / don't want, when you start upping the dollars the tax man starts rubbing his palms together...

Sprint
10-01-2013, 06:30 PM
My last FIFO gig was a 2/2 week roster (Santos in Cooper Basin) and i enjoyed it... did two years no regrets.
Add your 4 weeks annual leave into the mix and you're even time and working 5 months of the year.

S.

Mr_Mike
10-01-2013, 06:34 PM
a mate of mine was doing 4:1 as a construction sparky and he fuckin hated it. Sure he earnt a stupid amount of money, enough to not work for nearly 8mths all while building and finishing his house but he missed out on so much, outings parties piss up etc. He would travel in his own time so was work 4 weeks travel day 5 days R&R, travel day then start a 4 week swing again.

MJP
10-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Done 2&1, 9&5,8&6,6&3,2&2...now on 2&1...rosters don't bother me..would like to get out of U/G...

Drasius
10-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Currently on the 1st swing of my 4/2 roster, but given that it's international, it's pretty standard. Have done 2/1, 9/5, 8/6, 5/2/4/3, 4/4/4 and even 5/2/5/2/5/2/7/7 before.

I'd wager that as the companies realise the golden days are over, you'll see a slow return to 2/1 as the roster for the majority with only the places that desperately need to retain staff staying on 9/5 and 8/6.

milesiles
10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I've done plenty 4/1 and everything in between, some even longer. The only good thing is the money and for me it was a means to an end to get a cushy 40hr week office job in Perth on the same pay.

It's a good way to get a start on the mines as not everyone is keen on the longer rosters. 4/1 of all days sucks ass, it's like Groundhog Day. But I had every hour of my week off pre planned with heaps of cool shit. Had a GF at the time but no kids. You miss out on a lot. It's a hard way to make a living but once you're there it's easier to eventually swing a shorter roster if that's what you want.

PIP's in construction are also pretty sweet.

Edit** actually never done equal time, 2/1 was the shortest I ever did. Was working away for about 5-6 years total. But did have a fair bit of extra time off too.

Sheikh Yerbouti
10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
I do 2/2 BHP hedland, works great for me, even with 2 kids under 6. Before i did a roster which was all over the place like a mad womans shit, and altho i was home every day i was either recovering from nite shift, trying to sleep for niteshift, or just growling at the kids like a bear with a sore head most of the time, just felt fatigued 24/7..

Now, when im at work all i have to worry about is work, sleep, and eat for 14 days, and whenim home i can forget about work for 2 solid weeks. Takes a day or so to get back to a regular routine, but when im home i feel normal for most of it, and usually by the time i have to go back to work, im usually ready for it.

I wouldnt go back to anything else..

Stu
10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
My last roster (ended last year) was 2 months on, one month off. Now that's a roster.
It was brilliant! Free business class trip to anywhere in the world each break and travel was on company time.

meatbag
10-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Did 2 and 1 for about 6 years as well as 3 weeks on 2 off and have now been on 8 and 6 for a year. Personally, I'd be taking a good hard look at myself before going back to 2 and 1. Anything longer and I just wouldn't bother. The longer stints are a great thing to do for a year or two provided you don't go pissing your money up the wall. Save it all for a house or something else worthwhile, then get on to a more sustainable roster. The problem I've always seen, is these people get the job, then get into extraordinary dept on depreciating assets and get stuck doing something they hate just to keep up the payments. Even once they have paid them off, if they get out of the industry, they have nothing to show for their years of slogging it out since their toys have depreciated in value so much

As you suggest, there simply isn't enough 'me time' let alone girlfriend/wife/kids/family/midgetinyourbasement time. You will miss out on the majority of events and lose contact with a lot of friends. You also feel like your whole life revolves around work.

2 and 1 is do-able for a fair while and I guess if push comes to shove and that's all my employer can offer I'd do it again. You still end up missing out on far too much.

8 and 6 for me is the perfect roster. I still feel enthusiastic enough to go to extra lengths on my last day and you're not constantly on a plane or in the airport. 6 days off is enough time off to have a good proper day of absolutly nothing to recover, a wild night or two and still enough time to catch up with mates, get shit done around the house and on the bike/car. You can even head off to Thailand or Bali for your break without taking any leave.

meatbag
10-01-2013, 09:03 PM
double post

Duked
10-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Started off in mining, you name the roster I've pretty much done it. Have worked for bhpbilliton rio . Then continued into construction. Currently off shore with Transfield Worley (10mths)on the NR2 hook up/commissioning 2x2. Fantastic. Pretty damn good f/nightly pay also

Hazelnutty
10-01-2013, 09:30 PM
I did 11 days on 3 days off and loved it :)

Now CBD based, and looking at going back to fifo, will be happy with 11:3 again. Im weird, what can i say...

You get into a routine, and it just becomes the usual... In the 3 days off id manage to pack a lot in, inc going skiing, brisbane, sydney etc... You just get really good at planning, and spend the time on site recovering.
I did it for the money, and would do it again for the same reasons. I grew up with dad doing fifo (dad did 6:1 and up to 10:1 during shutdowns) and i turned out ok, so i guess families can cope :p

Have a plan, including how long you want to do it for, or how much money you want to put away, and go from there. That worked well for me, but i am a big capitalist at heart :D

shtinky
10-01-2013, 09:36 PM
done 6/1,4/1,3/1,2/1 and would take 8/6 if it was available to me
4/1 is a long time away, great way to save money but I would not do it long term
about to start new role doing 2/1 after doing 3/1 at Solomon for 18 months
see if you can get shorter shifts but things have tightened up a bit and anything is better than nothing
good luck

Farbs
10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone. Lots of different rosters out there. After reading your posts and thinking about it I will tell them it's 2/1 or I'm not interested. I think 4 weeks is too long to be off the bike lol

thro
10-01-2013, 09:42 PM
I did FIFO for 3 years on 9/5 and then 8/6 (which was fine, I like that roster and wish i could do it here in Perth :D).

However, a few times i had to cover for people and work a double swing.

By day 11 i was ready to murder people.

But.... everybody varies. If you make friends with like minded people on site, it can be a laugh. Unfortunately our department (IT) was fairly small and isolated in the older area of the site (Telfer) as that's where our gear was. So... not a huge amount of social interaction.

For 4/1 i'd be wanting BIG pay.

You WILL lose touch with family and friends - you'll only be here once every 4th weekend, which means most of your mates in Perth you'll see only say 10-20 times per year or so.

Neuroglider
10-01-2013, 09:53 PM
I had a mate that worked at telfer as a surveyor. I work 8/6 drivein driveout, 3 and a half hour bus ride from Malaga. Edna may in Westonia :)

Been doing this job for over 2 years as a survey tech. Was a fieldy before that for near 2 years doing 8/6 as well.

Worked in IT before that as a network admin in kalgoorlie... crap pay so I went into mining :)

Also wife is a geologist lol

Farbs
10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I had a mate that worked at telfer as a surveyor. I work 8/6 drivein driveout, 3 and a half hour bus ride from Malaga. Edna may in Westonia :)

Been doing this job for over 2 years as a survey tech. Was a fieldy before that for near 2 years doing 8/6 as well.

Worked in IT before that as a network admin in kalgoorlie... crap pay so I went into mining :)

Also wife is a geologist lol

Lovely Edna may lol been there. I would jump at this job if it was 8/6

Barfridge
10-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I did a year of 12/3 (weeks, not days)

I went a bit mental, it wasn't good

Barfridge
10-01-2013, 09:57 PM

thro
10-01-2013, 09:58 PM
^^ causes senility it would appear.

Sum'random
10-01-2013, 10:19 PM

WoW 12/3 that would of been ... different

I did 12h nights(6pm - 6am), 7 days a week, For about 5 months. No breaks even though it was local, It was draining

Amish Warrior
11-01-2013, 12:59 AM
I used to work at the Immiration Centre in Port Hedland as a young bloke 12 hour rosters. We would do 3 Days, 2 Off, 3 Nights, 2 Off, 2 Nights, 5 Off, 4 Days, 1 Off, 2 Nights, 4 Off. Then repeat it over again.

Seems a pain but....it was a regular thing for me to Swap my 2 Off's between Nights and do a solid 7 Nights, leaving me a full 7 Day break once a month to either Fly or drive to Perth to Piss up all my pay supporting my Uni-mates (who were Poor as, not that they ever keep in contact now they are earning the Big dollars....No).

Sure wish I could get into a FIFO job now (hint, hint). Kids are old enough to look after themselves, I don't Piss it up anymore (houses to pay for and of course Bikes) and the Missus is more than happy to only see me "once in a while".....seems I might be only fun in small doses (7 years of 6 Nights, 1 Off, she got used to me only being there to pay the Bills....lol). Oh and I work Damm Hard.....Plenty of time to Rest, when I'm Dead B)

dowen
11-01-2013, 05:45 AM
I've been working as a geologist on 8/6 now for over 2yrs at the same site in Leonora and love it. Made some good friends here and genuinely enjoy coming to work. 8/6 is great as I don't completely hate life by the end of my swing plus both fly-in and fly-out days are full of meetings and handovers so there's only 6 real days to get into the swing of things and it goes pretty quickly. Plus 6 days in a row off in Perth is rad! I've done a few 2/1 when I was at uni during my summer break and after day 8 or 9I found I was ready to go home. I'd find going to anything other than 8/6 hard, I'd probably do 2/2. Reckon I'd find it hard going back to Monday-Friday 9-5 now. But as others have stated, fuck 4/1. You'd have no life and many people get rather depressed when they're away from normal life for so long at a time.

deano68er
11-01-2013, 06:53 AM
I've been working as a geologist on 8/6 now for over 2yrs at the same site in Leonora and love it. Made some good friends here and genuinely enjoy coming to work. 8/6 is great as I don't completely hate life by the end of my swing plus both fly-in and fly-out days are full of meetings and handovers so there's only 6 real days to get into the swing of things and it goes pretty quickly. Plus 6 days in a row off in Perth is rad! I've done a few 2/1 when I was at uni during my summer break and after day 8 or 9I found I was ready to go home. I'd find going to anything other than 8/6 hard, I'd probably do 2/2. Reckon I'd find it hard going back to Monday-Friday 9-5 now. But as others have stated, fuck 4/1. You'd have no life and many people get rather depressed when they're away from normal life for so long at a time.

Massive contradiction in the opening line... Working as a geologist, come on ya rock licker!!?
No I'm just kidding :)

Neuroglider
11-01-2013, 06:59 AM

I used to work just up the road at Agnew :P (stayed in Leinster - awesome pub there)

Yer I did 2/1 for a while with Downhole Surveys... wasn't the greatest tbh, being away from the wife whilst she was finishing her degree. Now she earns more than me doing 9/5 at an iron ore... seriously who does 9/5 these days?

Anyone else find that 9/5 is stupid for handovers? Other person just sits there for a day doing nothing lol

=Stevo=
11-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Have done 3/1, 16/5, 15/6, 2/1 before. I think once you get past the 10-12 day mark things really tend to drag and no matter how good work is you start hating it.

That said - I didn't mind anything up to 2 weeks or so, but as an engineer in construction you don't get paid that much extra to move up to a 3/1 so isn't worth it.
8/6 roster or 2/2 would be living the dream for me, but making the move from construction into operations/mining is proving a bit difficult (regardless of how incompetent some of the guys I deal with have been)

I don't know how anyone gets anything done efficiently on an 8/6 though - just doesn't seem to be enough time to really get stuck into all of the work and see some results before you handover.

dowen
11-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Massive contradiction in the opening line... Working as a geologist, come on ya rock licker!!?
No I'm just kidding :)

Haha don't be like that! You're just jealous that my rock licking is considered "work" and that I get paid for it :D

I used to work just up the road at Agnew :P (stayed in Leinster - awesome pub there)

Yer I did 2/1 for a while with Downhole Surveys... wasn't the greatest tbh, being away from the wife whilst she was finishing her degree. Now she earns more than me doing 9/5 at an iron ore... seriously who does 9/5 these days?

Anyone else find that 9/5 is stupid for handovers? Other person just sits there for a day doing nothing lol

9/5 is balls, not enough workstations for everyone generally so half the people just stand around touching themselves until the outgoing crew leave. My site used to be 9/5 up until the week I started, worked out nicely for me.

deano68er
11-01-2013, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=dowen;2754135]Haha don't be like that! You're just jealous that my rock licking is considered "work" and that I get paid for it :D

Yes it's true, we rock apes are the jealous types!!

RSVChad
11-01-2013, 08:08 AM
I have done 4/4 3/3 and now do 8/6 at cloud break best roster to date but would go 2/2 given chance more time for holidays camping etc

Sum'random
11-01-2013, 08:30 AM

About the only good thing about Leinster.... When i was up there few years ago.... 6 or 7 years ago.

Accommodation was less then stellar, Room was no bigger then arm span, couldnt open door all the way to get in as chest fridge or draws stopped it and the air con unit that was above your head when you were in bed leaked onto your head when it rained..... oh and was a nice red dirt walk to the showers the whole 5 of them ....

Such good memories of that place :P

whowalks
11-01-2013, 08:44 AM
I've done 1 month on and of that sucked especially as it was off shore and you geta bit boxed in
a coupe of weeks of 8/6 days that is not enough time of IMO
3/3 weeks off shore OKish but still a bit tooo long
currently been on 2/2 weeks which is great with 4 weeks leave that is a pain to organize(being a nurse/medic I cant just take off)
look like we are going to 2/2/2/4 the 4 being weeks off but no annual leave sounds good still waiting to see if it will work between 3 medics on one site.

the big factor as already stated is accommodation, if your living in a shit hole anytime is crap. Medics tend to get their own room so thats a good thing for me, being on call 24/7 sucks though.
"you better be dieing" if you want to see me out of hours :)

Sum'random
11-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Accommodation has come a long way since my Leinster stay i am told, Rooms with en-suits foxtel tv's

But your right, If its a shit hole 8/6 would still suck.

Neuroglider
11-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Accommodation has come a long way since my Leinster stay i am told, Rooms with en-suits foxtel tv's

But your right, If its a shit hole 8/6 would still suck.

Yer... they have... it's been about 2 and a bit years since i've worked there, but basically the rooms were huge. Carpeted, foxtel, ensuite. Was nice :) Also had like a lounge chair to lol

Our camp in Westonia (5 min drive to site) just got upgraded massively... Free 30mbit wifi, 96 or something foxtel channels, voip telephones in the room. Food is decent to :P Also there's a town shop for all ur feel like a hamburger for lunch with a coke days :P

Sum'random
11-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Haha nice, Just a bit better then when i was there :P

whowalks
11-01-2013, 09:47 AM
The first time I worked away, was in the late 80's in Kambalda
asbestos 5 block donga no room to swing a cat, dunny and shower block down the road. One vent through the centre of the building that just brought the noise and ciggy smoke from one end to the other :(
wasn't even FIFO I used to bolt back to Perth in between night and arvos shifts with 2 1/2 days off LOL. lasted about 6 months just enough time to save up for a XJ750p and ride around Australia.
Oh yer no mobile phones back in those days the Ol phone box at the wet mess and snail mail to talk to the GF

One of those "back in my days stories"

Rider
13-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Not sure what sort of work the OP does BUT 4&1 is still a standard roster for construction and you employer (and their client) have agreed to this roster to meet the schedule/cost.

Now if everyone is doing 4&1 it will be very hard for them to make exceptions for once person. If they do let you do a shorter roster they will have whole heap of guys knocking on their doors looking for the same.

I guess my point is, that if you say NO to 4&1 you should be prepared to look for another job.

BTW I have never worked on FIFO and i take my hat off to the guys that do, I could probably do 8/6 but the money will have to be very very good.

Farbs
13-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Not sure what sort of work the OP does BUT 4&1 is still a standard roster for construction and you employer (and their client) have agreed to this roster to meet the schedule/cost.

Now if everyone is doing 4&1 it will be very hard for them to make exceptions for once person. If they do let you do a shorter roster they will have whole heap of guys knocking on their doors looking for the same.

I guess my point is, that if you say NO to 4&1 you should be prepared to look for another job.

BTW I have never worked on FIFO and i take my hat off to the guys that do, I could probably do 8/6 but the money will have to be very very good.

Yeh I understand how the schedule/cost works and the position is with the hire company I am working for so weather I take it or not I still have a job so it's all good. I told them I would if its 2/1 and there's a possibilty it could be cause we are contracting to them and not working for them directly.

Rich...
13-01-2013, 11:26 PM
I've done 7/3 7/4 that was good...

Did 2/1 for two years, ok but did suck when I missed out on parties and stuff...

I did 2 days, 2 nights and 4 off for 9 years. It was a rut, but a comfy rut. I actually bought a panel van so I had a nice bed for night shift...

Did 1 week on 2 weeks off at Cloudbreak for a while, that was a scam...

Now I just occasionally go to a site, but very rarely for more than a week...

Gimpy
15-01-2013, 12:56 AM
I could probably do 8/6 but the money will have to be very very good.

I worked my 8/6 on fairly average money and i'd do it again in a heartbeat - working within recruitment/HR you're lucky if you have less than a 50 hour week in just about any industry resources related, least when i had my changeover and 6 days off i could leave work at work - i actually worked less hours a fortnight with far less stress, not having to cook is bloody exceptional, not having to commute through perth traffic is outstanding camp lifestyle is so simple, hardest task i had was deciding wether to have beer before or after tea

Sam4400
29-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm going from a 16/5 to a 4/1 roster on wildflower, not sure how thats gonna go down just yet :-/.

Anyone else up that way though??

HAGG!S
29-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Doing 8 and 6 in the goldfields at the moment

Sunshine & F'n Rainbows
29-01-2013, 04:10 PM
8/6 is fine, I could happily go back to that.

Anything more than that, I tend to stop being a functional human being. I've done a bunch of longer stints, but by day 10 or 11 I just need to get some space and time to relax, or I stop being as sharp as I want to be.

HAGG!S
29-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Too long for me haha. I hate mining now.

Hazelnutty
29-01-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm going from a 16/5 to a 4/1 roster on wildflower, not sure how thats gonna go down just yet :-/.

Anyone else up that way though??

Lots of weeds... Close to karijini... New camp (just getting built now)... Who with?

Sum'random
29-01-2013, 05:19 PM
What is usual for over sea's 1month+ and small break back ?
Flown in transporter planes with the chickens n such lol ? Heard some places fly you first class.... that would be nice :P

chibi
29-01-2013, 08:17 PM
But.... everybody varies. If you make friends with like minded people on site, it can be a laugh.

You WILL lose touch with family and friends - you'll only be here once every 4th weekend, which means most of your mates in Perth you'll see only say 10-20 times per year or so.

You will always be out of the loop and every time you come home you will feel like everyone has moved forward and changed except for you. The only thing that's changed for you is that you're loaded with cash.

8/6 is great as I don't completely hate life by the end of my swing plus both fly-in and fly-out days are full of meetings and handovers so there's only 6 real days to get into the swing of things and it goes pretty quickly. Plus 6 days in a row off in Perth is rad! I've done a few 2/1 when I was at uni during my summer break and after day 8 or 9 I found I was ready to go home. Reckon I'd find it hard going back to Monday-Friday 9-5 now. You'd have no life and many people get rather depressed when they're away from normal life for so long at a time.

Agree with everything here. I've worked 2/1 fifo, 4/2 res, currently on 8/6 dido/res. I would do 4/1 as long as I got along with the people I work with, but in saying that I couldn't do it for more than a year.

Sam4400
29-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Lots of weeds... Close to karijini... New camp (just getting built now)... Who with?

Downer as a 'prentice sparks. You up there too?

Yea heard they had problems with the accommodation and thats why we all got delayed.

Hazelnutty
30-01-2013, 05:03 AM
Not up there, but have a lot of oversight of enviro issues of it.... Used to work on the project...

non_quotidiun
30-01-2013, 06:25 PM
My last FIFO gig was a 2/2 week roster (Santos in Cooper Basin) and i enjoyed it... did two years no regrets.
Add your 4 weeks annual leave into the mix and you're even time and working 5 months of the year.

S.

Yeah, equal time rocks, oilfield has it as pretty much a standard, less so than on the mines in my experience. I am currently on 3 and 3 which I asked for as opposed to 2 and 2: the travel each way comes out of your time off and living in a "remote" area means that it usually takes me at least 2 days each way. I've done 4 and 4 but i reckon 4 weeks is a bit long on a rig, my liver knows 4 weeks is too long for me to be off a dry gig!

KIT KAT 387
03-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Good conversation peeps. I do FIFO 9/5. Second time doing FIFO, first time sucked!!! Was in the wrong job and personally wasn't ready (although I thought I was).
Being a country boy I wanted to leave the bush to the big smoke but wanted the money as well, missed my wife and baby girl too much so we moved back to the bush again.

After 2 and a half years, the time was right got right job working with good people and love it!

Good to have 5 days off after a week n a bit, building a house on a couple of acres 45 minutes north of Joondalup, beach 4wding just about every break, ride the bike to and from the airport. Always good to know when I fly home I get a good ride on the bike.

I suppose the point I'm making is that if you and your family are ready and want to do it, then go for it! I'd hate to live and work in the city, too many rude ignorant people (no offence to the PSB community, as I believe most people who ride bikes are usually decent people)

P.S. I work for Rio at West Angelas

MJP
03-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Flew up to site Friday only to be turned back because plane couldn't land due to weather..to then be told that the contract has been lost and to not bother flying back up the next day..seems the client has no money left for drilling so 6 rigs shut down and must be offsite in 2 weeks...having done this for 13 years it sucks not knowing if you've got a job to go to..or when...time to send out some resumes I think...anyone know who's hiring....

Drasius
04-03-2013, 07:17 AM
What is usual for over sea's 1month+ and small break back ?
Flown in transporter planes with the chickens n such lol ? Heard some places fly you first class.... that would be nice :P

4/2 or 8/4 (that's weeks, not days) is most common. 6/3 happens but not often. That's for mining/processing, construction often has a shorter break, but that's not my area so I can't comment too much.

foxontherun
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
clown break love it!, :lol: ive worked on all 3 that you mention Renny plus karntama, not sure of my favourite as I do a few different roles whilst i'm on site, but at the moment doing what I love to do:), have to say that clowny seems to have the worst dongers, ): think you either love it or hate it onsite and takes a bit of getting used to, its not a garden of roses like people think though, working hard and long hours, and my last couple of swings were a bit rough with taken off night shift onto inductions and flipping cyclone rusty! A few different swings 8/6, 16/6, 7/7, i think 4/1 would be hard if you have family your away from for that long, but someones got to do it

Waikikablukar
04-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Currently 9/5 and I find it quite good. Will also stay working 9/5 over 8/6 until they re-evaluate the 17-18k they want to dock me for changing rosters, I think that is a little excessive. I could change companies but the next 2 years here brings in LSL, retention bonuses and a 5 year share plan so worth it to stay til the end of 2014 for me.

Having worked 14/3 (weeks, for the same company as barfy) a few years ago I know I could do longer swings but wouldn't by choice unless it was 12/9. I would love that roster. I think the quality of the camp / work environment would matter as much as the roster. 8/6 in a shithole would still be hell where as 2/1 in paradise would be a lot easier. Personally I would steer clear of construction unless you have extremely high tolerence levels for cockheads. You could use PSB as a good training ground for this sometimes :P

robp69
04-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I tried 2/1 for 15 months up cape Preston, didn't like it at all. People were great, but little or no work , so bored and a shit camp, food was crap. My industry is minimum even time and all that time the carrot was dangled for 2/2 when it was never on the table (bastards :mad::banghead:)
Currently onshore at dampier on a 2/2/2/4, camp is nice and an enjoying a pleasant change :D
As an aside, my kids are late teens and whilst I miss out on a couple of family events, things are much better all round

shtinky
05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Good conversation peeps. I do FIFO 9/5. Second time doing FIFO, first time sucked!!! Was in the wrong job and personally wasn't ready (although I thought I was).
Being a country boy I wanted to leave the bush to the big smoke but wanted the money as well, missed my wife and baby girl too much so we moved back to the bush again.

After 2 and a half years, the time was right got right job working with good people and love it!

Good to have 5 days off after a week n a bit, building a house on a couple of acres 45 minutes north of Joondalup, beach 4wding just about every break, ride the bike to and from the airport. Always good to know when I fly home I get a good ride on the bike.

I suppose the point I'm making is that if you and your family are ready and want to do it, then go for it! I'd hate to live and work in the city, too many rude ignorant people (no offence to the PSB community, as I believe most people who ride bikes are usually decent people)

P.S. I work for Rio at West Angelas

Hi just started with Rio at West angelas
doing 2/1 nightshift is a bit of a freak to the system

Sum'random
08-03-2013, 02:09 PM
With the guys doing 12/3 or 15/3 weeks, how did it go on your family life, were you single at the time, older or younger kids ?

Im still lost atm with my studies not sure if i want to continue or not or move to something different. I know i want to get to the mines (like everyone) Need to get myself set back up again after losing everything 6 years ago, and its a struggle doing it with a job in Perth.

ADD!CT
08-03-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm doing 8/6 at Tom Price. Just started up there recently. Anyone else working there?