PDA

View Full Version : Couple of days away with the Kids

Mufasa
19-01-2013, 07:07 PM
For those that are into camping/shooting etc.
After the hurdle that is Firearms licencing here in WA, a few months wait, and various paperwork, I
took the 3 kids down south for a couple of nights shooting and generally just getting away from it all.
Had a ball, and plan to head down there again soon.
Spent the nights in the shearing shed, other than the holes in the roof which were quickly revealed by the rain,
it was pretty comfortable, other than having to butter our bread with a skinning knife due to forgetting a few
bits n pieces lol

TurboR1
19-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Looks like the beginnings of a cult. Are the rabbits you shoot worth eating? I've always found the Aussie bush rabbits too thin, due to how little food is out there.

Shauno27
19-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Looks like the beginnings of a cult. Are the rabbits you shoot worth eating? I've always found the Aussie bush rabbits too thin, due to how little food is out there.

I shot a rabbit with a 308 once......def wasn't worth eating after that....skinny little fucker.:)

Mufasa
19-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Nah theyre not worth eating, although its only a 223, it does make a hell of a mess of them. I dont like to waste them so they came home for the dogs.

Dinga
20-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Awsome, ive eaten some rabbit id shot in the past but yup, once theyre skinned theres nothing on them. Very Golem like ;)

filbert
20-01-2013, 08:47 AM
the rabbits around here are quite chubby, i use .22lr if anything will be eating them :lol:

j-mac
21-01-2013, 08:42 AM
the rabbits around here are quite chubby, i use .22lr if anything will be eating them :lol:

Dad absolutely obliterated a couple one time with the .22 Hornet. Again, barely even any good to feed the dogs

Nine
21-01-2013, 08:55 AM
I have taken quite a few rabbit with a bow out near Meckering and considering its like a wasteland out there, they were big bunnies.
I have access to 400 acres riddled with vermin. Haven't been in a couple of years but used to camp there often.
Bows a little quieter than the rifles too.

Para045
21-01-2013, 09:54 AM

I could have a field day (or I should say night) if I could take a .22 to work, fucking hundreds of rabbits at the prison and they are getting fatter all the time as there are no predators :huh: Keep getting more as well as they are breeding like rabbits :rolleyes: :lol:
Wouldn't even need a rifle, a .22 pistol would do as you can walk within ~3-4m of them :huh:

Mufasa
21-01-2013, 06:19 PM
I could have a field day (or I should say night) if I could take a .22 to work, fucking hundreds of rabbits at the prison and they are getting fatter all the time as there are no predators :huh: Keep getting more as well as they are breeding like rabbits :rolleyes: :lol:
Wouldn't even need a rifle, a .22 pistol would do as you can walk within ~3-4m of them :huh:

Would you be allowed to set traps there?

filbert
21-01-2013, 07:47 PM
relocation traps :lol:

relocate them to cages and fatten them up :)

Amish Warrior
21-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Seem strange you don't have any "Predators" at a Prison. I would have thought it might be full of them??? :confused:

I used to work at the Immigration Centre in Port Hedland as a young bloke. We weren't allowed to keep the Fire-arms on site (they had to be locked up at the local Police station) but we had several hundred rounds of .38 P+P stored in the Onsite safe. The local Police weren't allowed onsite unless invited in by us (even in persuit of a offender....Prohibited Commonwealth Land and even then, No Fire-arms). :o

Little did most people realise that the Local Ranger had a .22LR and 12 Gauge Shotgun under the seat of his car, every time he came in to collect stray cats...lol

Skut
21-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Would you be allowed to set traps there?

Just say that you're beefing up the security ;)

Anything over .22lr is serious overkill for a rabbit. As a kid I had clean kangaroo kills with a scoped .22 and hollow-points, then one weekend with a .222 turned it into a bloodbath with me riding in the back of a ute covered in brains and guts. Not saying messy is bad but it certainly brings home the destructive power of a high-velocity round no matter where it hits.

Para045
21-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Seem strange you don't have any "Predators" at a Prison. I would have thought it might be full of them??? :confused:

Ha ha plenty of "predators" just not that have rabbits as prey :rolleyes: No firearms allowed at all, even cops can't bring them in (or tasers, batons etc), they need to stay in a safe at the front gate ;)

Skut
21-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Ha ha plenty of "predators" just not that have rabbits as prey :rolleyes: No firearms allowed at all, even cops can't bring them in (or tasers, batons etc), they need to stay in a safe at the front gate ;)

Which prison? I used to do all the "graduate" photos for Acacia pre and post Serco. I will never forget a photo they wanted me to edit for a visa application - a gentle looking old man, like your favourite uncle - happened to have murdered a girl by the name of Sharon Mason.

filbert
21-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Just say that you're beefing up the security ;)

Anything over .22lr is serious overkill for a rabbit. As a kid I had clean kangaroo kills with a scoped .22 and hollow-points, then one weekend with a .222 turned it into a bloodbath with me riding in the back of a ute covered in brains and guts. Not saying messy is bad but it certainly brings home the destructive power of a high-velocity round no matter where it hits.

You can probably imagine what my .270 does rabbit hunting with 90 grain projectiles instead of 140s :lol:

Twice the weight of and travelling a fair bit faster than the .222 :) 3800FPS through the chrony.

It's even possible to hit several at once :lol: but you would have to tally up body parts to know.

Perfect for long range on bigger targets as long as they're head or neck shots, the 140s are still required for body shots, velocity is down to 2800FPS but heaps more energy.

Skut
21-01-2013, 10:56 PM
You can probably imagine what my .270 does rabbit hunting with 90 grain projectiles instead of 140s :lol:

Twice the weight of and travelling a fair bit faster than the .222 :) 3800FPS through the chrony.

It's even possible to hit several at once :lol: but you would have to tally up body parts to know.

Perfect for long range on bigger targets as long as they're head or neck shots, the 140s are still required for body shots, velocity is down to 2800FPS but heaps more energy.

It's funny, I can still remember the sound of the different body/head shots even after all these years later - as a kid I knew when to plug in another shot for the kill if I fucked it up the first time. Not sure it is a useful experience for children these days, although....

Para045
22-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Which prison? I used to do all the "graduate" photos for Acacia pre and post Serco. I will never forget a photo they wanted me to edit for a visa application - a gentle looking old man, like your favourite uncle - happened to have murdered a girl by the name of Sharon Mason.

Yeah I'm at Acacia and have been there 8 1/2 years ;)

.303 SMLE does a good job of killing and skinning them all in one go :lol:

FireStorm
10-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I find a 30-06 does a great job of making rabbit pizza. Generally I stick to 22lr for bunnies, unless I'm bored and after a little pink mist action.

non_quotidiun
10-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Wild rabbits come up great if you soak em in milk overnight and casserole in white mustard sauce till the meat falls off the bone. I'm actually always surprised how much meat is on 'em. .22 LR is good, .22 subsonics even better. Anything calibre bigger than that you would want to make a head shot.