PDA

View Full Version : Car-Jacking: The shape of things to come

devolved
21-01-2013, 10:34 AM
As readers of this forum would know - I love a good car-jacking story.

Mainly because I can't imagine how angry I would be if anybody ever did this to my partner & children.

Here's an example that seems to have just slipped under the radar.

Carjacking at fake roadblock in Bentley | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/carjacking-at-fake-roadblock-in-bentley/story-e6frg13u-1226557567392)

They barricaded the road - then stole the car.

They set up a road block.

Call me crazy - but isn't this this kind of shit you'd expect in a Mad Max movie?

What would you do when faced with a 'dodgy' looking blockade? I say drive right through the fucker.

GreenMeanie
21-01-2013, 10:38 AM
But remember the new rules. Do a runner and get 5 years!

devolved
21-01-2013, 10:43 AM
But remember the new rules. Do a runner and get 5 years!

Okay - seems 'dodgy looking barricade' should be a legal defence.

Nine
21-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Sorry mate everyone's too busy winging about juiced up cyclists to notice.

g0zer
21-01-2013, 10:45 AM
iirc there has been several carjackings around the vic park bentley area in the last couple of years.

its a problem, if the car jackers want to get cunning they can easily steal road works shit cones flashers hi vis.. unless you want to start running down every road worker who approaches your vehicle whats a person to do?

its an unsurprising outcome from making cars harder to steal. if criminals want a stolen car they have to resort to home invasions to get the keys or car jackings.

its not until they attempt to force their way into the car you can run them down. therefore have to educate people to drive with central locking engaged and not wind down windows to talk to road workers.

but why bother with elaborate roadblocks? the road block concept is a bit retarded. my understanding is that traffic lights is the preferred place to stage a carjacking. just walk up to the first car in the queue that has 1 occupant, open the driver door, drag driver out at gun/knife point and the car is yours. if you are willing to smash the driver window in and smash the driver in the face then central locking isn't going to be much protection.

GreenMeanie
21-01-2013, 10:50 AM
They all look dodgy. Booze buses, the whole lot.

Macey
21-01-2013, 11:22 AM
but why bother with elaborate roadblocks? the road block concept is a bit retarded. my understanding is that traffic lights is the preferred place to stage a carjacking. just walk up to the first car in the queue that has 1 occupant, open the driver door, drag driver out at gun/knife point and the car is yours. if you are willing to smash the driver window in and smash the driver in the face then central locking isn't going to be much protection.

haha, imagine the conservative 'mothers' getting a wind of something like that.

THEY LEARNT THAT FROM VIDEO GAMES (read: GTA). SPEAKING AS A MOTHER, THEY SHOULD BE BANNED!! ALL OF THEM!!

Bendito
21-01-2013, 11:31 AM
This also happened over the weekend on Amherst road, with proper detour signs and a line of rocks across the road

Goride
21-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I work across the car park from the licencing centre in west Perth; weekend before last I saw an instructor with a learner pillion (thought that was strange). Went back to work, about 2 hours later when I finished I came out to meet a mate who had a lesson with the same instructor, turns out that his previous student had been "bike-jacked" am I saying it right? According to the police, some guy come up to her with a broken bottle and threatened her while she was doing her emergency stops just around the corner then took off on the learner bike. From now on I only park my bike in our underground car park on Saturdays <_<

Poor girl, 4 cop cars turned up and questioned us...

My friend who had his lesson after this chick is 6'4 and we were wondering if this situation would have still happened if their roles were swapped, he does look rather intimidating on the little learner bikes :D Also his nick names include: Bad Man Johnny and Bangry Man (angry bad man)

Manyak
21-01-2013, 12:19 PM
My car has auto locking as soon as you reach 15km iirc.. Think it's very handy for situations like this!

Also, I used to live in Gosnells and quite often when driving along the rail line there'd be a group of abos blocking the road walking in my direction. I did the same thing everytime - speed up and veer slightly to the right to give them room to run. I can't imagine what would happen if a little old lady would stop for them to get out of the way!

devolved
21-01-2013, 12:20 PM
This also happened over the weekend on Amherst road, with proper detour signs and a line of rocks across the road

Have you got a link to this story, I can't find one. Cheers.

Manyak
21-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Oops - wrong story :)

Bendito
21-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Have you got a link to this story, I can't find one. Cheers.

Can't help you with a link, it was from a first-hand account.

B0RDEX
21-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Stuff like this is even more worrying for riders, I reckon, especially for those of us who are slight, or female, or short (or basically don't *look* like they would/could beat the living shit out of someone)... I would stop at a legitimate looking road block and it would be far too easy for someone to drag me off the bike and take off with it (or worse, not take off with it...). The story mentioned above about the learner just confirms that this is a genuine issue.

xphread
21-01-2013, 12:39 PM
My car has auto locking as soon as you reach 15km iirc.. Think it's very handy for situations like this!!
Unlikely to get car-jacked while doing faster than 15km/h! :P

Hope I never have to live somewhere where this kind of thing is not un-common, eg South Africa.
Dunno if its just urban myth or not, but apparently prevention measures have included people fitting what is essentially a flame thrower under the drivers door incase of an attack.

devolved
21-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Stuff like this is even more worrying for riders, I reckon, especially for those of us who are slight, or female, or short (or basically don't *look* like they would/could beat the living shit out of someone)... I would stop at a legitimate looking road block and it would be far too easy for someone to drag me off the bike and take off with it (or worse, not take off with it...). The story mentioned above about the learner just confirms that this is a genuine issue.

Quite often late at night I'll see some girl squidding on a scooter around the 'burbs and I think (sadly) that if it was me, I wouldn't feel safe. At least on a 250 you have a chance of getting away...

It wouldn't take much for someone to step out of their car and punch me (or anyone else) in the ribs at the traffic lights just for the hell of it.

Nine
21-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Quite often late at night I'll see some girl squidding on a scooter around the 'burbs and I think (sadly) that if it was me, I wouldn't feel safe. At least on a 250 you have a chance of getting away...

It wouldn't take much for someone to step out of their car and punch me (or anyone else) in the ribs at the traffic lights just for the hell of it.

When I was working at ecu I used to worry like hell about the (majority) tiny Asian girls who travel with scooters. Often they would be there late studying and leave at say 11pm dressed for clubbing (wearing next to fuck all).

kapyong
21-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Unlikely to get car-jacked while doing faster than 15km/h! :P

Hope I never have to live somewhere where this kind of thing is not un-common, eg South Africa.
Dunno if its just urban myth or not, but apparently prevention measures have included people fitting what is essentially a flame thrower under the drivers door incase of an attack.

It works on more than one kind of dummy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Cbr1k
21-01-2013, 01:30 PM
This is why I carry a knife in the car and lock my doors when I'm driving.

Taylor
21-01-2013, 01:32 PM
I've been hijacked on the bike out the front of Hilarys boat harbour. A guy jumped out in the road waving his arms, sweating like he was having a heart attack. I pulled over and he grabbed me, jumped on the back and told me to fucking ride.

I stopped about thirty metres up the road and let the bike fall over onto my outstretched foot. He slid off the back and I took off.

It's a shame that I will think twice about stopping to help someone next time.

RRossi
21-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Fark and I always take the piss out of my wife for having the auto lock thing on her car????

Maybe it's not a bad idea now?

On a side note I wonder if she ran a few of them over, if she would get done for manslaughter??

RR

RR

Daise
21-01-2013, 01:55 PM
I always drive with the windows locked, and my hand very close to the car horn. I think I'd go nuts if there was an attempt, especially with the kid in the car :o

Mr_Mike
21-01-2013, 01:57 PM
When I was working at ecu I used to worry like hell about the (majority) tiny Asian girls who travel with scooters. Often they would be there late studying and leave at say 11pm dressed for clubbing (wearing next to fuck all).

Where abouts is this carpark? And about 11pm u reckon?

Corona 122
21-01-2013, 01:58 PM
There is a pretty simple solution to car thefts & break and enter. Mandatory life imprisonment with no chance of parol and not this candy ass life shit they give out. You go in and you never come out.

There is absolutely no justifiable reason to steal a car or bike and the sooner some of the low lifes in society work that out the better.

As a society it is time to stop with this do gooder shit and start making people think about what they do before they do it and be responsible for their actions.

As for those that argue the prisons will get to full. Stuff them. If prisons become a place you are absolutely terrified to go cos you might be sharing a cell designed for two with 5 or 6 others for the rest of your life perhaps that easy option of car jacking grandma may not appear so attractive.

Taylor
21-01-2013, 02:09 PM
There is a pretty simple solution to car thefts & break and enter. Mandatory life imprisonment with no chance of parol and not this candy ass life shit they give out. You go in and you never come out.

There is absolutely no justifiable reason to steal a car or bike and the sooner some of the low lifes in society work that out the better.

As a society it is time to stop with this do gooder shit and start making people think about what they do before they do it and be responsible for their actions.

As for those that argue the prisons will get to full. Stuff them. If prisons become a place you are absolutely terrified to go cos you might be sharing a cell designed for two with 5 or 6 others for the rest of your life perhaps that easy option of car jacking grandma may not appear so attractive.

As much as I disagree with everything you say, I don't have the language to explain my own thoughts on it.

Oh I have it. I don't believe harsher penalties will result in less crime while the cause of the crime isn't solved and children lose their parents to prison, I worry that penalties trending towards roadside execution will cause criminals to treat their victims with more violence and more innocent people will get hurt.

We have lived in one of the most peaceful cities in the world, so much is right here that we complain about having nothing to spend our money on during a warm evening past 8pm.

That innocence might be getting a dose of the real world.

Nine
21-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Where abouts is this carpark? And about 11pm u reckon?

Yeah, I clearly didn't think that through... I'm a dickhead.

Corona 122
21-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Your welcome to disagree all you like but stealing someones shit is in no way acceptable for anything other than basic survival.

At the moment for many it is because the negative outcome from committing a theft is minimal and for many is a more attractive option than working.

That is an entirely unacceptable situation when a considerably higher standard of life than the majority of people in the world live with is available simply for putting in no more effort that collecting welfare.

filbert
21-01-2013, 02:30 PM
If you're going to jail for life anyway might as well dispose of the bodies to reduce the risk of getting caught....

Have you ever noticed that when you make something illegal or apply a harsh penalty there are always people that keep doing it anyway?

It might be more cost effective and better for society to put some effort into finding out why instead of taking the easy way out and carrying on the way we have been with penalties that rarely work.

devolved
21-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Hmm...

Summary roadside executions for people popping mono's. Seems like a fair idea.

I would like to save this discussion from falling into one about law & order - and instead making it one about safety.

The logical conclusion is to give everyone the right to bear arms, that pretty much stops crime dead in its tracks I believe.

However - that said - I really do believe there is a place in our society for crimes that attract a damn good caning as part of a rehabilitation program. Car-jacking, assault, vandalism to private property - these offences could do with some spicy punishment. One of the teenage parties getting out of hand? Arrest them all - cane them all. Charge people admission to the caning and donate the money to the victims of whatever crime it was they committed....

I need to go form a political party, nothing could go wrong with this idea.

Now - where was I? Oh yes....

Drive through it - call the filth - <something something> - Profit.

Why has car-jacking become something we accept? I remember hearing about this from the US in the 90's - and you could not imagine a day where it would happen in Perth... but now it's a regular occurrence.

=Maz=
21-01-2013, 03:42 PM
The logical conclusion is to give everyone the right to bear arms, that pretty much stops crime dead in its tracks I believe.

Comedy Gold!!!

I would like to see mitigating circumstances removed, at the time of sentancing, from violent/anti-social crimes.
I think it is one thing to say;
"My family was desperate so I stole (X)."

...it is another thing altogether to say;
"Daddy didn't hug me X-number of years ago...so I punched sumcunt in the face."

On topic...lock the car from the inside and run em down, back over them, then go to the filth(who are already powerless to stop these turds) and tell them you witnessed Hoon-activity from the road-trauma victi... which should have the young offenders shot(good thing) and peace will return. :)

andymac
21-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I've been hijacked on the bike out the front of Hilarys boat harbour. A guy jumped out in the road waving his arms, sweating like he was having a heart attack. I pulled over and he grabbed me, jumped on the back and told me to fucking ride.

I stopped about thirty metres up the road and let the bike fall over onto my outstretched foot. He slid off the back and I took off.

What the actual fuck? If you're wearing a crash helmet a reverse-headbutt might work well for somebody on the back.

Taylor
21-01-2013, 04:46 PM
What the actual fuck? If you're wearing a crash helmet a reverse-headbutt might work well for somebody on the back.

I didn't think of that, he was about twice my body-weight. I could feel his flabby overhang, his arm gripping me across my chest and the other in my kidney.

I jumped off the bike a few kms up the road and swore at the stars like a crazy man for a few minutes.

It's a strange world out there sometimes.

andymac
21-01-2013, 04:54 PM
He was about twice my body-weight. I could feel his flabby overhang, his arm gripping me across my chest and the other in my kidney...

Gayest car-jacking ever.

Not sure what you ride, but you could frighten the fuck out of a squidding pillion on a thou ...

andymac
21-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Sorry Taylor - I just realised that it sounds like I'm having a go at you. I meant that the description of the body contact sounded a bit Mills & Boon

Taylor
21-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Sorry Taylor - I just realised that it sounds like I'm having a go at you. I meant that the description of the body contact sounded a bit Mills & Boon

No worries. There's nothing you can imagine that comes close to the memory of sweaty overhang finding it's way under my jacket.

There goes my erections for the rest of the month.

Dragunov-21
21-01-2013, 08:49 PM

I vote for mandatory wheelie training for all new riders. Wouldn't have had an issue if you could do this reliably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIKv-hFYS4E

21-01-2013, 09:25 PM
This is why I carry a knife in the car and lock my doors when I'm driving.

so you can garrantee someone is getting hurt?

you wouldnt steal a car would you? because you're sane.... that probably means you wont stab anyone either.

its a car... get out. claim insurance. done. no blood.

mekon
21-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Seriously can't wait for a legitimate sporting shooter to get done in an ambush, remain calm whilst procuring said firearm from case on front seat then popping a couple of rounds in a mag and putting one through face of said carjacker. All's well that ends well.
Amherst is round the corner. I'd heard of a roadblock/jacking being done a few years back near Spencer in Gosnells.

Light them up. They want to play GTA, might as well add a level of realism to it.

Skut
21-01-2013, 11:24 PM

you wouldnt steal a car would you? because you're sane.... that probably means you wont stab anyone either.

I fully agree with this sentiment at .... 11:11 pm, on a web forum... however, if someone threatens me or my loved ones with harm (like, steal the car and be clever about it maybe - yes, insurance) but seriously, personal threats make me see red (and not being big or scary, this is probably not a good move on my part - this being said, I am apparently very scary when white-faced angry (as I am too dumb/stubborn to back down). I have not been stabbed yet despite stepping into a few encounters I shouldn't have, and if that kind of behaviour discourages violent theft or action I will continue to do so.

Pro-tip. If you have a bat in the car, have a ball as well. Then it's just sport.

GUE57
22-01-2013, 01:36 AM
These two guys that got in the back...I wonder how fast they could get their seat belts on before I crashed that car into a wall :rolleyes:

Phildo
22-01-2013, 03:23 AM
Call me crazy - but isn't this this kind of shit you'd expect in a Mad Max movie?

What would you do when faced with a 'dodgy' looking blockade? I say drive right through the fucker.

Situations similar to this happen regularly.

Example: December each year, when the school kids are hitting the booze. They do their impersonation of a riot in a third world country. Drunk kids running all over the place, trying to damage whatever they can. Broken glass everywhere.

Similar with drunk Aboriginals. Girlfriend Deb actually collided with one on Friday night. Drunk aboriginal ran out on to the road. Result is one traumatised Deb and about $1,000 damage to her car (headlight, bumper, bonnet and windscreen). Deb was lucky that she got friendly police - they are all ok with it, and acknowledge that it's 100% the pedestrian's fault in this case.

I got a summons from Fremantle detectives a year ago for Dangerous Driving Causing Bodily Harm. Passenger was running alongside the car and he fell over. He lied to police, making a statement that he was half in the car when I drove off. Luckily, I had two witnesses to confirm otherwise. The result was $3,500 on a lawyer and the charge was withdrawn a few days before the trial. Fuck that.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/fatal-hit-run-police-hunt-taxi-after-pedestrian-killed/story-fnat79vb-1226519366279)
There was this situation a few months ago. Two drunk Irish guys picked a fight with a taxi driver who had just driven them home (they refused to pay the fare). The driver has been charged with Dangerous Driving Causing Death.

There was a news article last year (can't find the link) where a taxi driver got blocked in a cul-de-sac. Bunch of thugs made a taxi booking and when the taxi got to the end of the road, they blocked it off. The taxi driver panicked and drove out anyway, hitting and killing one of the thugs in the process. The driver was charged with Dangerous Driving Causing Death.

The point of all this: It doesn't matter what happens at night, and what you do to ensure your safety. It gets investigated in daylight, when everything seems safe and easy, and by cops who will have no appreciation of the situation that you were in.

Dragunov-21
22-01-2013, 03:31 AM
Seriously can't wait for a legitimate sporting shooter to get done in an ambush, remain calm whilst procuring said firearm from case on front seat then popping a couple of rounds in a mag and putting one through face of said carjacker. All's well that ends well.
Amherst is round the corner. I'd heard of a roadblock/jacking being done a few years back near Spencer in Gosnells.

Light them up. They want to play GTA, might as well add a level of realism to it.

As much as I agree with the sentiment, I don't see it happening.

The conditions of transport are reasonably effective at slowing the speed at which a firearm can be deployed. Dunno what's required in WA, but it wouldn't be possible in the ACT and here you're looking at (for Cat H, I assume)

> See bad d00ds
> Process the fact that they're going to try to nick your ride (a few seconds)
> Grab keys to gun box (means removing keys from ignition or more likely your pocket. a few seconds)
> Unlock gun box (2 seconds if it's on the seat next to you)
> Find/open ammo box (another 1-2 seconds)
> Open ammo box (1 second, maybe none if you use a plastic ammo-box that's easy to open)
> Load a mag (maybe one second to pick up and 2 seconds to load 4-6 rounds)
> Insert mag (half a second)
> Rack slide (nil)

So 15 seconds, assuming that absolutely no mistakes or breaks in fluid movement occur. And with adrenaline pumping/fight-or-flight going, which sporting shooters aren't used to operating with IME, you can assume there will be fumbling or at the very least they won't be operating at max speed. In fact I'd think the only way to ensure success would be to take things slow.

So I'd say 20-25 seconds in optimal conditions (everything right where you need it). Reckon that's fast enough?

shmoo
22-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Haha. Keeping weapon in your car. Brilliant idea. Guaranteed to end well.

thro
22-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Hmm...

You mean like in the states?

Beemer has a lock all doors button. Might start using it.

Cbr1k
22-01-2013, 07:03 AM

Unfortunately it is not that simple. A lot of thugs these days don't give you the opportunity to give up peacefully. They'll open your door and start swinging stabbing bashing etc. Are you willing to bet your life or the life of a loved one that they will leave you alone? My life experience has taught me that if you give them an inch they take a mile.

Cbr1k
22-01-2013, 07:08 AM
You mean like in the states?

Beemer has a lock all doors button. Might start using it.

Actually my Honda had an option for that almost impervious laminated safety glass.

andymac
22-01-2013, 07:16 AM
These two guys that got in the back...I wonder how fast they could get their seat belts on before I crashed that car into a wall :rolleyes:

That's been my plan for anybody in the front seat
1) Stick your foot down
2) Head for a tree or large solid object at high speed aiming for their side of the car
3) Unclick their belt just before impact.
4) Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels Vinny Jones re-enactment [optional but potentially therapeutic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83dHET-3gZM

mekon
22-01-2013, 07:19 AM
As much as I agree with the sentiment, I don't see it happening.

The conditions of transport are reasonably effective at slowing the speed at which a firearm can be deployed. Dunno what's required in WA, but it wouldn't be possible in the ACT and here you're looking at (for Cat H, I assume)

> See bad d00ds
> Process the fact that they're going to try to nick your ride (a few seconds)
> Grab keys to gun box (means removing keys from ignition or more likely your pocket. a few seconds)
> Unlock gun box (2 seconds if it's on the seat next to you)
> Find/open ammo box (another 1-2 seconds)
> Open ammo box (1 second, maybe none if you use a plastic ammo-box that's easy to open)
> Load a mag (maybe one second to pick up and 2 seconds to load 4-6 rounds)
> Insert mag (half a second)
> Rack slide (nil)

So 15 seconds, assuming that absolutely no mistakes or breaks in fluid movement occur. And with adrenaline pumping/fight-or-flight going, which sporting shooters aren't used to operating with IME, you can assume there will be fumbling or at the very least they won't be operating at max speed. In fact I'd think the only way to ensure success would be to take things slow.

So I'd say 20-25 seconds in optimal conditions (everything right where you need it). Reckon that's fast enough?

Forget the law abiding stuff. Biometric safe, scan (hope it's not cheap shit safe) pop lid, grab spare mag from hiding place in centre console and load and unleash. As if the cops would ever target you for a random search, unless you're a bogan, known to them or suggested a stupid idea like this on a forum and they know you.

Seriously though if they got in the car, just lock it and launch into a big doughnut before they get the doors closed.

Maxo
22-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Unfortunately it is not that simple. A lot of thugs these days don't give you the opportunity to give up peacefully. They'll open your door and start swinging stabbing bashing etc. Are you willing to bet your life or the life of a loved one that they will leave you alone? My life experience has taught me that if you give them an inch they take a mile.

...Pull a knife out on 5 guys and you're almost guaranteed to end up stabbed.

filbert
22-01-2013, 07:42 AM
I just tear off my shirt and show them the red S on my blue lycra suit and they get the idea....

Nine
22-01-2013, 07:44 AM
I whip out my Wang and they let me keep my car out of sympathy

filbert
22-01-2013, 07:52 AM
I whip out my Wang and they let me keep my car out of sympathy

I don't want to kill them, just scare them a little.

Corona 122
22-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Anti hijacking kits will be all the rage next. Can Just see it.

Daihatsu Copen

Respray hot pink

20 inch chromies
Giant stickers front and rear " I'm a guy who :heart: the cock "

Surely nothing could go wrong???

Personally I'd go this solution if I though I could get away with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Dragunov-21
22-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Forget the law abiding stuff.

Whups, I keep thinking within my conditioning. Fair point XD

thro
22-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Actually my Honda had an option for that almost impervious laminated safety glass.

If you really want, the 5 series comes in a full VIP spec bulletproof version :D

devolved
22-01-2013, 10:03 AM
^^^^That's gonna ruin the duco.

GUE57
22-01-2013, 01:58 PM
If you really want, the 5 series comes in a full VIP spec bulletproof version :D

I have always wondered, So say if you stupidly swerve and smash the right hand side of your car into something, would you bust your head open on the steel wall that is bulletproof glass where you would have been fine (relatively) in any other car?

thro
22-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I have always wondered, So say if you stupidly swerve and smash the right hand side of your car into something, would you bust your head open on the steel wall that is bulletproof glass where you would have been fine (relatively) in any other car?

Given that the 5 series and other VIP type cars have side airbags, then yes - you wouldn't even hit the glass.

Well... relatively speaking.

Point being, your head shouldn't be hitting the glass whether it is the regular one or the bulletproof version...

GUE57
23-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Ah I didn't consider that.