PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Move to South Australia!

Sventek
23-01-2013, 09:32 PM
$20 trillion shale oil find surrounding Coober Pedy 'can fuel Australia' | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/trillion-shale-oil-find-surrounding-coober-pedy-can-fuel-australia/story-fnda1bsz-1226560401043)

thro
23-01-2013, 09:40 PM
yeahbut.... it's still south australia.

Sventek
23-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Don't worry. The whole state's going to be fracked.

okitoki
23-01-2013, 09:52 PM
lol... FIFO out of remote Adelaide? :D

Desmo
23-01-2013, 09:54 PM
And instead of using it to power Australia, supply us with affordable fuel for our vehicles and industry, they'll sell it all overseas for a nice profit.

Old frt
23-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Opportunity knocks far too infrequently, will be scouring Op shops for safari suits and pink shorts tomorrow.

How long does it take to grow a mullet?

Sookie
23-01-2013, 10:00 PM
How long does it take to grow a mullet?

about 7 rockinghams

okitoki
23-01-2013, 10:07 PM
http://images.canberratimes.com.au/2012/05/08/3280920/ipad-art-wide-gillard-20hugs-20swan-420x0.jpg
"Wayne, we will have our budget surplus now....."

Deano
23-01-2013, 10:11 PM
"Wayne, we will have our budget surplus now....."
Fuck off we will, she'll blow the money on bungled schemes designed for God knows what and then tax it!

Sookie
23-01-2013, 10:18 PM
And instead of using it to power Australia, supply us with affordable fuel for our vehicles and industry, they'll sell it all overseas for a nice profit.

This has the potential to turn Australia from an oil importer to an oil exporter.

Read more: $20 trillion shale oil find surrounding Coober Pedy 'can fuel Australia' | adelaidenow (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/companies/trillion-shale-oil-find-surrounding-coober-pedy-can-fuel-australia/story-fnda1bsz-1226560401043#ixzz2IoB4A8YL)

Nine
23-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Oh great, shale oil.

Skut
23-01-2013, 10:23 PM
This has the potential to turn Australia from an oil importer to an oil exporter.

Heard of price parity? And why we pay what we do for fuel regardless of where it comes from?

Sookie
23-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Heard of price parity? And why we pay what we do for fuel regardless of where it comes from?

newsgroup said its true so it must be fact said 90% of australians always

thro
23-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Fuck off we will, she'll blow the money on bungled schemes designed for God knows what and then tax it!

Was chatting after work. THey've fucked businesses who do turnover of more than 100m/yr. They have brought taxes forward (pay in advance based on estimated earnings) to get more revenue for this financial year.

woot.

Skut
23-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Was chatting after work. THey've fucked businesses who do turnover of more than 100m/yr. They have brought taxes forward (pay in advance based on estimated earnings) to get more revenue for this financial year.

woot.

That would be bad - is this a fact, or like the whole Super Profit Tax bullshit that turned out (like the Carbon Tax) to hurt NONE of the wealthy, nor the industry?

andymac
23-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Maybe they'll frack so hard South Australia breaks off from the mainland

Desmo
23-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Here's an idea, lets take all our iron ore, our gas and our oil and use it all together to create world class steel and a massive industry that can all thrive off each other for many years instead of shipping it all overseas at a bargain price and then buying it back at a hugely inflated price.
Because no, that would never work would it, too progressive?

Skut
23-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Here's an idea, lets take all our iron ore, our gas and our oil and use it all together to create world class steel and a massive industry that can all thrive off each other for many years instead of shipping it all overseas at a bargain price and then buying it back at a hugely inflated price.

Because we pay our manufacturers less than our miners and there is little return on innovation in this country.

Captain Starfish
24-01-2013, 12:04 AM
^^^ yep. Desmo, your idea will work when we find Aussies who are willing to work 12-16 hour shifts of back breaking, mind destroying, dangerous work in a noisy, hot environment a million miles from their family for $10 an hour.

devolved
24-01-2013, 12:10 AM
^^^ yep. Desmo, your idea will work when we find Aussies who are willing to work 12-16 hour shifts of back breaking, mind destroying, dangerous work in a noisy, hot environment a million miles from their family for $10 an hour.

Just sit on it for 100 years - the prices for this stuff will go through the roof I tells ya - THROUGH THA ROOF!

GreenMeanie
24-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Don't worry. The whole state's going to be fracked.

I've always thought SA was fracked!

The British government did way too many nuclear tests there during the 50's. The place is overrun with mutants.

Cap'n James086
24-01-2013, 01:45 AM
I wonder if they will call it Operation Iraqi Aussie Freedom? :rolleyes:

Moe
24-01-2013, 08:24 AM
I wonder if they will call it Operation Iraqi Aussie Freedom? :rolleyes:

Depends how well the WMD's are hidden,I've heard the SA farts are banned under the Geneva convention

Sonik
24-01-2013, 08:28 AM
I think I see what you did there Cap'n James... How long before WMD's or terrorists or something are discovered in S.A. and Uncle Sam steps in?

While I'm here, can someone explain the Adelaide bashing? Idungeddit :huh: I spent two weeks invading the hills with a mate and had an awesome time... They have fun roads with curves and camber that aren't half a days boring ride away and the food and beer in Hahndorf was awesome. Maybe that was it, I spent most of my time with a helmet on and didn't have a lot to do with the locals or the city.

Al_86
24-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Maybe I'm biased because I lived there for a few years, but I reckon Adelaide is a great place.

The hills and the Barossa valley are fantastic places for good food, beer and stuff to do. Also the roads there are tenfold better than Perth, look at the road that runs from Lobethal to Adelaide via Nortons Summit for a fine example.

And locals are locals, I don't reckon it differs much between states. I've met deadshits in fairly equal concentrations across the whole country.

Petro(v)
24-01-2013, 09:12 AM
So how long until the U.S. declares our Government a "terrorist organisation" and ivades us in order to liberate the people from our oppressive leaders?

I'll give it a month.

Damn - they couldn't even trial LAMBS for a whole bloody year!

g0zer
24-01-2013, 09:14 AM
They have brought taxes forward (pay in advance based on estimated earnings) to get more revenue for this financial year.

wtf?

Rich...
24-01-2013, 09:24 AM
A nice 15% gain on the shares so far today...

andymac
24-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Work for the dole? Long-term unemployed 'retraining'? Attach the steel mill to a prison?

devolved
24-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Maybe I'm biased because I lived there for a few years, but I reckon Adelaide is a great place.

The hills and the Barossa valley are fantastic places for good food, beer and stuff to do. Also the roads there are tenfold better than Perth, look at the road that runs from Lobethal to Adelaide via Nortons Summit for a fine example.

And locals are locals, I don't reckon it differs much between states. I've met deadshits in fairly equal concentrations across the whole country.

I'm with you Al - I've lived there on & off for a few years and love it. Plenty of great stuff there & plenty of great people. The city of Adelaide can get a buzz better than Perth can when it needs too. SA bogans are no more numourous than WA bogans, the only exception is in SA they all have a shaved head and goatee while in WA they're more your traditional stereotype.

Go ride some roads through the hills, stop off at Victor Harbour for lunch and take the long way through home and you'll love the place.

Streaky Bay is my one of my favourite places in Australia.

streaky bay - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=streaky+bay&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl)

However, Ceduna, Port Pirie & Port Augusta are not pleasent.

MADOGA
24-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Shale oil has limited value these days compared to traditional oil, as well as big enviro mental issues.

It will be worth a lot in the future once regular oil drys up.

Aust has quite a lot of shale oil

truewheel
24-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Hell yer! I am so moving to SA...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRZ4LQSonXA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What a conversation piece! I will so be the life of the party!

Do we have a sarcasm font?

Rich...
24-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Shares rose 23% today...

g0zer
24-01-2013, 01:22 PM
alright i will bite.. what shares? your portfolio is up +23% on today? get rid of that boonger gixxer for something shiny and new.

chew
24-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Linc

Eugene
24-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Steady rise in stock, sell now! Before we find out a CEO did this just to spike up his company shares, then sell out and quit the company.

Rich...
24-01-2013, 01:50 PM
alright i will bite.. what shares? your portfolio is up +23% on today? get rid of that boonger gixxer for something shiny and new.

Ha...I wish my portfolio was up 23% today...

Linc...LNC is the ASX code...

I wish I'd had a few spare dollars this morning, because I would have chucked them on...

Though I wouldn't stay in, the whole of this is just "forward looking statements" and "potential", there is no confirmed shale oil there, just the potential for it to be there...

Sprint
24-01-2013, 02:03 PM
...six months ago their shares were @ 60 cents.

S.

Corona 122
24-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Adelaide is only a days drive each way to Phillip Island.

Just sayin!!!

mute
24-01-2013, 02:38 PM
haha my mate gave me the linc tip a few months ago.. did not take it up ... silly me would be 500% up now...

also fracking = end of peak oil worry. Good for the US, good for Australia. Hope the SA one ends up being viable.

Sprint
24-01-2013, 02:55 PM
lol... FIFO out of remote Adelaide? :D

Sure... why not?
I worked for two years in Cooper Basin (Santos Oil & Gas) flying out of Perth to Adelaide, overnight there then Moomba, Balera or Tarbat camps (whichever was relevant to my needs for the swing) by charter plane... reverse to come home. Even time roster and decent money too.

S.

Spina
24-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Ha, have they been getting marketing advice from ego directors?
Make up lots of prospects/cr stunts, issue new lots to market to drip feed the week and greedy and offer zilch growth.
Seen plenty take consistent double digit skimming off those sorts of plays, and plenty bathing in a bath of anger on bad/greedy mgmt self interest.
Shale gas still a penny dreadful mine pit! It's the golden lure of the multi bagger.
Good luck to those that d/t these type of stocks it's hard work that's for sure!

truewheel
24-01-2013, 06:25 PM
$20 trillion shale oil find surrounding Coober Pedy 'can fuel Australia' | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/trillion-shale-oil-find-surrounding-coober-pedy-can-fuel-australia/story-fnda1bsz-1226560401043)

Mmm, let's think about this..

Mmmm, $20 Trillion = 20,000 Billion = 20,000,000 Million = $20,000,000,000,000 dollars.

Mmmmm, so what methodology was used to get to this figure?

Mmmmmm, and if the person(s) who came up with these figures just happened to have a shitload of mining shares the day before (t)he(y) released these figures, what would happen to their shares the day after...

Mmmmmmm...

rod
24-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Mmmmm, so what methodology was used to get to this figure?

Multiplication. Take the upper estimate of the size of the field and multiply by todays oil price.

Mmmmmm, and if the person(s) who came up with these figures just happened to have a shitload of mining shares the day before (t)he(y) released these figures, what would happen to their shares the day after...

Mmmmmmm...

Yeah, Rupert Murdoch has made billions more dollars today on this market manipulation. That people in Adelaide will soon have fire coming out of their water taps is merely the loltastic icing on the 24 carat slices of cake, encrusted with diamonds, which he has for morning tea.

truewheel
24-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Multiplication. Take the upper estimate of the size of the field, which is 66 & 2/3 times higher than the lower estimate, and multiply by todays oil price.

Fixed.

Hang on, that's 66.6 or 666...

OMG!

SATAN HAS LANDED!!!

IN SA LAND!!!!!

rod
24-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Linc Energy | Reality check for '$20 trillion' oil find (http://www.theage.com.au/business/20-trillion--not-reality-check-for-linc-oil-find-20130124-2d8zf.html)

Moriarty
24-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Great, I'm still stuck in Sydney - we've got nothing here, unless you count crap infrastructure and fake tan :huh:

Was a regular visitor to ADL several years back. One of my more poetic workmates used pizza as an analogy - Italian quarter, engineering technology, agribusiness, seafood - and just a little bit of bogan sprinkled over the whole lot. Seriously tho, I found it more incestuous than even Canberra. Creepy!

Rich...
24-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Haha...

Like I said, would have been nice to get in this morning and out this afternoon...

Munkers
25-01-2013, 08:31 AM

Nope, too sensible.

Moriarty
25-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Linc Energy | Reality check for '$20 trillion' oil find (http://www.theage.com.au/business/20-trillion--not-reality-check-for-linc-oil-find-20130124-2d8zf.html)

So is this how the journos are supplementing their income in the face of diminishing sales for print media?
5pm: Buy.
10am next day: "$20 trillion!"
10:01am - 12:59pm: Twiddle thumbs.
1:00pm: Sell.
4pm: Accept generous redundancy package.
4:30pm: Victory jig at pub :lol:

ReCon
25-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Oh great, shale oil.

Shale oil has limited value these days compared to traditional oil, as well as big enviro mental issues.

It will be worth a lot in the future once regular oil drys up.

Aust has quite a lot of shale oil

Amen brothers.

Shale oil is very energy consuming and dirty. It is also environmentally harmful , and dirty.

Did I mention it's also dirty?

Google around and have a look at what it did in Canada when they thought it was fun to rip some out.

By the time we really need to use this stuff, we will be in so much shit that the environment will be the last thing on our list.

Still , after Olympic and this stuff is mined in Sth Aust , the place will be so toxic that Adelaide may actually seem a paradise [cough ]

Magilla
25-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Can't we just start using nuke power already?
*sigh*

Cap'n James086
25-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Can't we just start using nuke power already?
*sigh*
Or we could start spending some of the oil/iron money on research instead of beer perhaps?
National Ignition Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Ignition_Facility)
ITER - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER)

non_quotidiun
26-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Pretty politically charged as soon as fracking is required....would expect high cost to recovery. Sounds like a speculation play more than a geological play. Smart money like Rich should be long gone by now !