PDA

View Full Version : Summer Splashdown

Barfridge
27-01-2013, 05:42 PM
A few of us went today, and I was less than impressed.

Main gripes:
- they were running about 90 minutes behind on the start times (I was supposed to be 11:20 but started just before 1pm)
- the biggest obstacles (giant slides) were not operational, apparently due to too much wind, but others are saying they were deflating due to lack of compressor power/oomph
- long transit times between obstacles, which would be clustered together, then a long back and forth walk to the next one
- stupid wait times at the remaining interesting climbing icebergs and floating obstacles, 90 minutes to climb a 3 metre wall, fahgeddaboutet!

Minor gripes
- parking a billion miles from start point (but apparently there was a bus that I didn't see running until we left)
- no shade
- poor signage, I only found the starting gate by asking multiple people
- terrible value at $70. About the same prize as Mudd Rush for a smaller and poorly organised event. Mudd Rush even gave you food/drink and a t-shirt.

So, in short, avoid anything by Get Fit events (they also did stampede in the valley which had big problems)

Heretic
27-01-2013, 07:14 PM
maybe should have named it "Summer letdown" instead

Sum'random
27-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Glad i didn't go to this now. So hard to find something different and fun to do in Perth anymore... or ever

gunn parker
27-01-2013, 09:22 PM
I did this today too. They had trouble overnight with strong winds blowing some of the inflated things onto the highway. Plus a fire went through and burnt out some areas. At least that was what we were told as we waited to start.
We were to start at 8:00 am but got away at 9:30. Mostly it was fun except for the section back across the water and over the blow up tubes on the water, the lines were huge and wait times were long.

I'd give it a go next year if it's on again just to give it a chance. The mud rush this year is alleged to be $120 per entrant. A bit much for me.

This was the worse section.
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/67985_3753959586138_1999554911_n.jpg

Bunyack
27-01-2013, 10:26 PM
my 2c

I went the first wave (competitive) extra $5 and wore a timing chip. I was up at 6am and out the door at 620. Got to the start line at 6:45 only to be told there was a 60 minute delay because of strong winds overnight destroying the obstacles...... fair enough. We stayed in the shade waited about. The 7am wave left at 8:30 in bursts of 20 ppl every minute or so to stop bottle-necking. The obstacles were reasonably spread, with a few running sections. the 4 obstacle on the return across the water were a bit so-s0... but from what I heard, they were a last minute replacement from the winds the night prior. When I did the 4 obstacles, there was 2 people infront of me i was able to overtake..... that's the only 2 people I interacted with while crossing the water. The final obstacle, the big blowup slide, I heard from a friend that during the morning that a wind gust blew the structure onto a fence and caused a big rip..... so i guess the loss of pressure meant that they couldn't keep it going for a long period of time. Crossed an empty line in about 10th place (but that doesn't mean sh*t cos of the whole "20 people at a time" wave, will find out how well i compared when the times are published)

personally, even with waves of 200 peeps every 30 minutes, with a long course (5km) you're bound to get the bottle-necking of the "less-fit" people from earlier waves. With these events, from previous mud related obstacle races experience, I'm always going to opt for the first wave to prevent trying to overtake slow peeps.

From a friend with a couple of young kids:

Just got back from that non event. I'm gonna ask for my money back. Nothing was set up for the kids. Sucked balls for so many reasons...
So apparently even the 1km kids course was a let-down.

Main gripes:
- long transit times between obstacles, which would be clustered together, then a long back and forth walk to the next one
- stupid wait times at the remaining interesting climbing icebergs and floating obstacles, 90 minutes to climb a 3 metre wall, fahgeddaboutet!
Minor gripes
- poor signage, I only found the starting gate by asking multiple people
- terrible value at $70. About the same prize as Mudd Rush for a smaller and poorly organised event. Mudd Rush even gave you food/drink and a t-shirt.

So, in short, avoid anything by Get Fit events (they also did stampede in the valley which had big problems)

Barfy:
Aye, we were leaving about 45 minutes after i started and even then, when the first "non-timed" waves were coming through, there was already a bottle neck at the 4 obstacles on the water. that sucked i guess. Back and forth "walk" ? You should have been running!!! :p
Signage Barfy....... the website had a map highlighting everything. but i guess they could have improved things.
Price: yeah, a bit steep, as I didnt see on the website ANY mention of charities or fundraising and i know for a fact (as I ran past 2 of my old students) that they had volunteers at a lot of the obstacle.

My Main gripe:

As I purchased my ticket after the 21st of Jan, on Friday, I had to drive all the way out from Maddington to Wanneroo to a shady looking upstairs tiny gym to pick up a fucking wristband..... thats it.... a wrist band. which easily could have been picked up in the morning of the event.

Geeman
30-01-2013, 07:44 AM
I did the kids course with 4 kids aged 7-12 and was far from impressed and have contacted them for a refund, no reply yet. The kids course advertised 15 obstacles, but there was actually only 8, with only one of them being on the water, the rest might have been at a backyard birthday party, including one 10m strip of black plastic laid on the grass, and held down by blocks with a clown dribbling water on it. The advertising and all the blurbs indicated a cross between its a knockout and wipeout and the whole reason for going was for the water obstacles, and then we could even see one of the big slides that was meant to be on the kids course but it was over on the adults course. The marshalling was completely non existant and it was a free for all and I had to stay with the kids the whole time otherwise they kept getting pushed out of the way, we were also told they were allowed 45mins on the course so could do it as many times as they like, well they got the 45mins but had to put up with the kids who were from previous starting groups staying on course, with no one telling them to get off even though they clearly had the different colour wristbands.
They also advertised free entertainment for the kids, well there was nothing, nothing at all except for one pair of sumo suits that were charging 10 bucks for 5 minutes. The t-shirts were advertised as $20 but then on the day turned out to be $25 so we left without giving this company another cent.
There was almost no event staff there other than the volunteers who were doing a great job with what they had but were under prepared and had no guidance and could not answer anything as they hadn't been told. We chose to walk the 2km from the carpark instead of catch the shuttle bus but I heard just after we left that the roadway collapsed under it and it got stuck anywyay.

Having to drive an hour to pick up the "race pack" which consisted of the grand total of a wristband was a joke as well.

I can understand that some of the equipment got damaged overnight by high winds, but there was nothing on facebook indicating shorter courses other than 1 message indicating an hour delay on the adults course.
Overall it was completely mismanaged and left a very bad taste in the mouth, it is great to see companies trying to stage these sort of events in Perth but this one just created some terrible publicity for itself and future events.

g0zer
30-01-2013, 08:53 AM
https://www.facebook.com/SummerSplashdown?filter=3

$70 sounds pretty expensive for a few bouncy castles, a couple of gensets and not enough people with not enough time to set it up.

Phildo
30-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Sounds all rather dodgy.

How were people paying for entry? Credit card? If so, then you can apply for a refund through your bank.

With credit card, you didn't pay the organisers. You pay the bank. The bank pays the organisers. It's a two step process. Your contract is actually with the bank, not the organisers. Thus, you dispute the transaction with the bank, as you did not receive what you were contracted to receive.

speed3
30-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Glad I didn't bother with this one.

Mudrush is $100 this year but was less if you got in early which we did. I'd rather pay an extra $20 and go to something well organised (though there was a long wait for the water slide and a small wait for the rope net as someone fell off and broke something). You also get a t-shirt, food and a drink at the end of the event which adds up to 20-30 easily anyway.

Sunshine & F'n Rainbows
30-01-2013, 12:04 PM
So, they've started banning people from their Facebook page and removing comments. If people are being outright vicious, that's one thing, but the feedback was entirely genuine they were receiving. Upset, but genuine.

Nice going fucktards. It's a great way to let your customer base know that you'd like them to go fuck themselves I suppose.

devolved
30-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Hassle NOVA about how bad the event was. They will be more inclined to contact the promoter directly for you.

Rhino
30-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Create your own page to express your disappointment.
Keep it clean and they can't have it shut down.

Rich...
30-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Start a Facebook group for complaints...

Rich...
30-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I would say "great minds" Rhino...

But you just fluked it...:)

Sunshine & F'n Rainbows
30-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Create your own page to express your disappointment.
Keep it clean and they can't have it shut down.

Nah, it's cool. I'll just vote with my wallet.

speed3
30-01-2013, 12:19 PM
I want to know what your post was now :(

And I live a couple of km from Champion Lakes, there's strong easterlies every night and morning every day of summer. It's not like there was some freak storm before hand.