PDA

View Full Version : New laws to target tailgating (in VIC)

Huntsman
26-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Tough new law to hit tailgaters (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/tough-new-law-to-hit-tailgaters-20130226-2f37c.html)

Well, it is a start I guess.

out_in_front
26-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Bigger issue than speeding IMO - also need to harden up the 'keep left' legislation - and back them both up with police enforcement. Then, one day in a perfect world - we can get higher speed limits.

RRossi
26-02-2013, 11:15 AM
What I dont get is bikes tail gaiting??

see it all the time going to work,

all you need a speed camera ahead, the driver slams on the brakes and wham??

RR

Wedge
26-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I've had cars fly up behind me and sit 30cm's off my back wheel, now that is dangerous and there is already a law against such driving. The chances of Police in the vicinity however is pretty remote, what will this new law do except widen the catch net and be an excuse for more speed cameras. The new speed cameras out of Germany are intelligent enough to capture people speeding as well as tail-gating. They aren't going to bring in individual cameras just for tail-gating...

In my opinion it's another smoke and mirrors tactic, claim to capture a demographic, build support then bring out the solution, increasing the number of cameras/upgrading them. Case in point WA government and let's get new cameras that will capture speeding motorcyclists, led to more advanced multi-lane cameras and cheeky tactics to hide them more increasing revenue.

Bootie
26-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Somehow they need to educate motorists, rather than more cameras shame you can't stop general stupidity
I drive around everyday at work average between 1-3hrs a day on the roads and I would struggle to count the amount of times I've been abused by tailgaters, although the old brake check usually makes them jump, arseholes!

It really grinds my gears! :P

B0RDEX
26-02-2013, 11:43 AM
But tailgating is a subjective term, it would need to specify a distance required between you and the vehicle in front, and that is liable to change based on the speed of the road and the condition.

I say it's subjective because my mum is a prime example, she constantly gets shitty with people she feels are tailgating her - if it was me driving I probably wouldn't give the distance a second thought (or I'd just touch the brakes) and I wouldn't deem them to be tailgating per se. Same thing with people moving towards the centre line on a 2+ lane road - she gets cranky when people are driving along next to her or going past her or vice versa and move closer towards her but don't actually cross the line... Totally cracks the shits over it, when really they just aren't holding their line very well within the lane.

So how exactly would it be policed, it would be up to the officer to use their discretion as to whether someone actually is tailgating or not, and we all know what happens when an officer is allowed to use their discretion.

shan
26-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I leave a gap
Some one will see this as a place , getting closer to the podium they are.
I leave another gap, a bit frustrated this time , another racer slots into a better position .
I could almost select a lower gear and just have an endless stream of cars filling the gap I leave.

For this reason, the racers that might jump a place then brake hard, I now have front and rear cameras Russian style (Sim lim Square specials)

The Judge
26-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Tailgating is so widespread in WA it is a joke. Having lived most of my life in various parts of Europe, it took me some time to get used to it here. You simply DO NOT tailgate over there because you WILL get pineappled. Driving past bloody "road safety" ads telling me I'll save lives by riding at 110 rather than 115 with a queue of 10 douche nozzles following within 40 meters of my rear tire infuriates me to no end. Better yet is when semi drivers do it. It should be instant licence disqualification for them as they know they need 10 times the stopping distance of a bike.

There are automatic cameras that can deal with this, why don't we have any?

As a fairly large group, we should be lobbying the Gov to do something about this and refocus their revenue raising to something that actually does save lives.

Who's good a writing? How about a change.org petition? Elections time is a great time to do this.

Geeman
26-02-2013, 12:12 PM
This:

Police are only able to charge people with “failing to keep a sufficient distance from the vehicle in front”, which carries a penalty of one demerit point and a $211 fine for cars and a $282 fine for heavy vehicles.

I copped a warning for this when I rear ended woman who slammed the brakes on and stopped at an empty crosswalk on kings park road. Great to see them trying these initiatives but they are fixing the symptom not the cause, which is driver behaviour.

out_in_front
26-02-2013, 12:30 PM
This:

Police are only able to charge people with “failing to keep a sufficient distance from the vehicle in front”, which carries a penalty of one demerit point and a $211 fine for cars and a $282 fine for heavy vehicles.

I copped a warning for this when I rear ended woman who slammed the brakes on and stopped at an empty crosswalk on kings park road. Great to see them trying these initiatives but they are fixing the symptom not the cause, which is driver behaviour.

That is tailgaiting...

Failure to leave enough room to stop in an emergency situation - whatever that may be. What would happen if the car in front of you had it's engine seize? or something dropped off of it? You not leaving enough room is the cause of that accident.

The Judge
26-02-2013, 12:31 PM
This:

Wrong.

The only behaviour that needs to be corrected in that case was you tailgating.

If you are not able to avoid collision with the car in front, even if they are slamming on the brakes for a danger that they are the only ones to perceive, you are too close.

jmdrafting
26-02-2013, 12:31 PM
+1 for petition! drives me insane!

shan
26-02-2013, 12:41 PM
This:

If the crosswalk was not empty
She noticed a pedestrian you failed to notice , you shunt her the extra distance to take out the pedestrian.
Who is to blame , you or her ?
Leave a gap

Arwon
26-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Trucks tailgating on Albany highway of late is getting out of hand. 2 or 3 36m doubles tailgating at 100kph... like thats safe,

The_Wookie
26-02-2013, 01:28 PM
This:

What if a kid had run out in front of the woman? You were tailgating, simple as.

Biggest wind-up driving over here after coming from the UK is the tailgating problem. Absolute lunacy sometimes.

SPman
26-02-2013, 02:31 PM
"Don't be a fool - use the two second rule".........

The_Wookie
26-02-2013, 03:20 PM
"Don't be a fool - use the two second rule".........

And double it when the road is wet.

harpo
26-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Tailgaters? Meh, I just slow down a bit. I mean, they're already angry so that's got to help ease their blood pressure, right? :P

Desmo
26-02-2013, 03:46 PM
(or I'd just touch the brakes)

This is a stupid and dangerous thing to do. All it does it makes the dickhead behind you angry.
Just gently apply your handbrake, before they know it, they have almost hit you (no brake lights) and they back off really quickly.

Falcore
26-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Actually used to be fun doing little bit more than a tap in the old land cruiser. Worst damage to mine was damaged thread on tow ball......

The_Wookie
26-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Of course the good old brake tap can also cause the muppet behind to swerve into another lane taking out some poor innocent...maybe a biker?

26-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Wait. Now every one in here wants new rules?

I'm with LJ. Unless we see a defined distance (likely not feasible) leaving this to police discretion is going to be brilliant (sarcasm, just incase you missed that)

Also. Its very hard to define 'too close'.
Lets say F1 world champ seb vettel is in a Ariel atom, 'tailgating' miss daisy in her fully loaded land cruiser. Seb being the man he is pays attention on the road, and always keeps miss daisy's brake lights in his vision, just incase. Problem?

Its an extreme example, yes, but surely you get the idea. 'too close' is relevant to the situation. Discretion of an officer is bad.

rod
26-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Tailgating is a bit of a futile exercise when you're behind a right hand lane hog. It's better to hang back and put your high beams on so they can see your lights in their mirror(s).

B0RDEX
26-02-2013, 04:24 PM
This is a stupid and dangerous thing to do. All it does it makes the dickhead behind you angry.
Just gently apply your handbrake, before they know it, they have almost hit you (no brake lights) and they back off really quickly.

No, touching the brake pedal (in my car) only causes the lights to go on. When I said touch, I meant touch, not actually engage the brakes. If I meant to say I brake to teach them a lesson, then I would have said exactly that.

Edit: Condoning braking WITHOUT any indication of this to the car behind you (ie. no lights to warn the person - which is the whole purpose of the lights) whilst saying that tapping the brakes is dangerous and stupid, is ridiculous. Did you even think before you typed that?

I know what I'd prefer to explain to an officer after being rear-ended, and it's not "Yes, Officer, I braked and had no brake lights at all, and he still hit me!".

The_Wookie
26-02-2013, 04:28 PM
No, touching the brake pedal (in my car) only causes the lights to go on. When I said touch, I meant touch, not actually engage the brakes. If I meant to say I brake to teach them a lesson, then I would have said exactly that.

Tailgater a couple of feet behind you. Sees a brake light. Panics. Brakes hard, locks up, possibly swerves, possibly loses control.

See where this is going?

Best thing to do if possible is move over and just let them go. It really isn't worth the hassle.

B0RDEX
26-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Best thing to do if possible is move over and just let them go.

You don't fucking say... That's what I do, when it's possible, but when it's not, and I'm doing the speed limit and the person behind me is tailgating me, then yes, I'm happy to tap the brakes and have them lose control of their car and potentially hit/maim/kill themselves or some other innocent party, rather than continue to tailgate me and have ME potentially lose control and potentially hit/maim/kill myself or some other innocent party. It's the better of two evils. Anyone denying that is lying.

Again, that's IF it's not possible for me to move over. You think on a one lane road I'm going to pull over for some fuckwit tailgating me to then possibly come and attack me, smash into my car on purpose, drag me out of my car and rape me? Not on your life.

Jon1
26-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Is tailgating covered under the huge umbrella known as hooning?

The_Wookie
26-02-2013, 04:35 PM
You don't fucking say... That's what I do, when it's possible, but when it's not, and I'm doing the speed limit and the person behind me is tailgating me, then yes, I'm happy to tap the brakes and have them lose control of their car and potentially hit/maim/kill themselves or some other innocent party, rather than continue to tailgate me and have ME potentially lose control and potentially hit/maim/kill myself or some other innocent party. It's the better of two evils. Anyone denying that is lying.

Again, that's IF it's not possible for me to move over. You think on a one lane road I'm going to pull over for some fuckwit tailgating me to then possibly come and attack me, smash into my car on purpose, drag me out of my car and rape me? Not on your life.

Wow.

Sauer
26-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Again, that's IF it's not possible for me to move over.
If its not possible to move over, change your behaviour and slow down! Don't try to change their behaviour. For a start, its not your job and second, their perception of you "forcing" them into something they don't want to do may potentially increase their angst, resulting in more errant driving or even road rage.

I used to brake check drivers for years and it rarely solved the problem.
But shaving 5-10kmh depending on circumstances sure seems to work. Once the driver behind sees 5, 10, 15 bank up behind him (single lane) or pass him (on a dual lane road), they tend to back off.

The philosophy I carry towards tailgating is if they won't maintain a safe speed:distance ratio, I will.

I've only once had a slow down result in an altercation, whereas I've had multiple dramas from brake checking.

B0RDEX
26-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Jesus fucking christ... :lol:

shan
26-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Tailgater a couple of feet behind you. Sees a brake light. Panics. Brakes hard, locks up, possibly swerves, possibly loses control.

See where this is going?

Best thing to do if possible is move over and just let them go. It really isn't worth the hassle.
Depends what I am in or on,If I am On I leave them for dust
In a shit box I lock up and get collected as I collect cash= FUCK EM
If I am in a nice car I will flash my brakes

filbert
26-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Actually used to be fun doing little bit more than a tap in the old land cruiser. Worst damage to mine was damaged thread on tow ball......

I heard that shit runs in families cuz... Ya fukn nut

I nearly bent my diff in the Jeep when a Suzuki swift disappeared under the back, I wasn't brake checking :lol: my turn came up while I was adjusting their headlights out of my mirrors

shmoo
26-02-2013, 04:51 PM
I vote the next politician to suggest a new law gets immediately sacked and every moron who supports them loses their voting rights.

chew
26-02-2013, 04:51 PM
I once sped up to move into the left lane to let a tailgater past, got flashed and a letter in the mail to donate to the Government coffers. Went and disputed it based on what happened as the dude was an angry man and I wanted him gone past me.

The answers I received from the officer were;
Just stay on the limit till you can move over.
You dont look like the sort of person to be intimidated by other drivers?
Touch your brakes to light up the brake lights.
I have tried to book people for tailgating and it gets thrown out unless they hit someone.

The last one is relevant without stated distances and speeds and the reason the coppers do nothing.

He suggested I could take it to court and the judge would say well done for keeping traffic flowing and not inflaming the situation and here are some court costs to go with that speeding fine.

What I occasionally do on the highway crawls is watch them in the rear view mirror and when they glance away I flick my lights on park and speed up, they look back, see the lights and brake, by then there is a huge gap and everyone behind them gives them daggers and toots. Makes them really angry.

My wife was following a patrol car out of Mundaring one day when the car two vehicles in front slowed to turn right. Patrol car broke but hit them, wife pulled up in time. The boys sat in the car for a while then the passenger came to see Mrs Chew and the driver went to the car they hit.

"Travelling a bit close weren't you?" He asked
"Not as close as your mate" She replied.

He smiled and sent her on her way.

Wasn't till later she realised they had just sent off the witness and the poor bastard probably got hit for no brake lights or something similar.

Eugene
26-02-2013, 05:48 PM

Smart man, exactly what I do. Keeps them from grabbing a hammer because you "touched" the brakes to warn them.

Para045
26-02-2013, 07:04 PM
That is tailgaiting...

Failure to leave enough room to stop in an emergency situation - whatever that may be. What would happen if the car in front of you had it's engine seize? or something dropped off of it? You not leaving enough room is the cause of that accident.

Bollocks! If you left a big enough gap for EVERY possible situation traffic would never get anywhere :huh:

There are many situations where no matter even if you left a greater than recommended gap it wouldn't be enough :confused: If something drops off your car/truck or the engine seizes it's your fault for not securing your load or maintaining the vehicle not the car driver :o
This is a stupid law that is going to be unenforceable without a) having a set distance for a set speed and conditions mandated under law and b) having some way like a laser measure to measure EXACTLY the distance between vehicles :o Leaving it to the discretion of cops to hand out tickets for what they "think" is too close will just be adding to the govt coffers and anger against the police like there is with the hoon laws :mad:

Wait. Now every one in here wants new rules?

I'm with LJ. Unless we see a defined distance (likely not feasible) leaving this to police discretion is going to be brilliant (sarcasm, just in case you missed that)

Also. Its very hard to define 'too close'.
Lets say F1 world champ seb vettel is in a Ariel atom, 'tailgating' miss daisy in her fully loaded land cruiser. Seb being the man he is pays attention on the road, and always keeps miss daisy's brake lights in his vision, just in case. Problem?

Its an extreme example, yes, but surely you get the idea. 'too close' is relevant to the situation. Discretion of an officer is bad.

+1 If it's a 1970's car with drum brakes or a 4WD then it will take much longer to stop than a modern car with 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS so how are the vehicle owners let alone the cops supposed to be able to define what is a "legal and safe" distance :confused: Then suppose you leave a correct gap and another car jumps into the space, suddenly YOU are in the wrong not them if this sort of shit goes through :o

shan
26-02-2013, 07:25 PM
thus I have cameras now, front and rear for $150
hope i dont ever need them as evidence

filbert
26-02-2013, 07:35 PM
the police already have the technology to measure tailgating Laser Technology - TruCAM Laser Speed Gun with Video (http://www.lasertech.com/TruCAM-Laser-Speed-Gun.aspx)

Barfridge
26-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I vote the next politician to suggest a new law gets immediately sacked and every moron who supports them loses their voting rights.

This, a billion fucking times this.

WE DON'T NEED NEW LAWS TO CATER FOR EVERY PETTY ANNOYANCE WE HAVE IN LIFE. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ALREADY EXIST AS A FUCKING OFFENCE. KEEP LEFT, DON'T TAILGATE, DON'T DRIVE LIKE A FUCKING RETARD, THEY'RE ALREADY COVERED. SO YOU HAVE TO STOP AND ASK, WHY IN THE NAME OF JEEBUS CUNTING TAP DANCING CHRIST DO POLITICIANS THINK THEY NEED TO INTRODUCE NEW LAWS?

I propose a cap, set at an uncomfortably low number, for the amount of pieces of legislation allowed for any government. This would encourage critical thinking, sensible laws, and stop the fucking knee jerk responses from pollies who think they have to be seen to be doing something.

B0RDEX
26-02-2013, 08:39 PM

WE DON'T NEED NEW LAWS TO CATER FOR EVERY PETTY ANNOYANCE WE HAVE IN LIFE. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ALREADY EXIST AS A FUCKING OFFENCE. KEEP LEFT, DON'T TAILGATE, DON'T DRIVE LIKE A FUCKING RETARD, THEY'RE ALREADY COVERED. SO YOU HAVE TO STOP AND ASK, WHY IN THE NAME OF JEEBUS CUNTING TAP DANCING CHRIST DO POLITICIANS THINK THEY NEED TO INTRODUCE NEW LAWS?

I propose a caps.

Fixed.

Barfridge
26-02-2013, 08:51 PM
OH, YOU DON'T WANT ME BUSTlNG CAPS, PRINCESS.

Nudge
26-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Well that escalated quickly. :)

Tailgaters are the arse gravy people of the world , just sfa ya can really do about it

Iron_Zombie
26-02-2013, 09:43 PM
I avoid tailgaters the safest possible way, I don't have a car, so only ride and nothing worse than a car sitting too close to comfort(ok there is worse but it still sucks), In a car i would prolly slow down or something but on a bike, I just try to be in the safest position which is usually away from them !

SomeBloke
26-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Not sure why people need a red light to see the vehicle in front getting closer or people not paying attention to what is going on several cars ahead.

we don't need new laws, we need better enforcement(maybe rewrite the rules to be more easily enforced) and courts to hand out approprate judgement (why do we need mandatory sentences? have the people lost faith in the courts?)

SPman
27-02-2013, 09:52 AM

I propose a cap, set at an uncomfortably low number, for the amount of pieces of legislation allowed for any government. This would encourage critical thinking, sensible laws, and stop the fucking knee jerk responses from pollies who think they have to be seen to be doing something. That about sums it up - except with the rider, that every new piece of legislation passed over the (very) low limit, a politician is chosen at random, (spin a wheel, like a quickfire raffle), taken outside, and publicly executed!
THEN, we might have some critical thinking!

Jaw
27-02-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't like this attitude of 'something behavoural on the roads we can exploit? lets stick up more cameras'.

I do agree that tailgating is a much bigger problem than speeding. But I think education is a better tool for both being tailgaited and tailgating.

I've done a few advanced driver courses and the general consensus is that when being tailgated, increase your distance between you and the car in front. That way you reduce the speed at which you will have to stop in an emergency and grant a bit more time for the idiot behind. And on the other side, to use a bit of common sense and not tailgate.

My biggest problem with this is that there are too many what ifs.

There is no tool for a driver to accurately assess what is a 'safe distance'. common sense yes, but theres no instrument or measurement that identifies it. unless they go painting chevrons lal over the highways as markers? I haven't fully read the report..

but then are they going to be smart enough to capture someone who's just cut someone else up so it looks like that person is tailgating etc? you'd need live cameras watching the static cameras for when someone inevitably appeals a ticket...

The Judge
27-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Just a couple things. When I got my first licence, in Belgium, one of the exam questions was the formula for "distance de securite". Can't remember exactly but it was something along the lines of: take the first digit of your speed and multiply by 5. For example, doing 90kms, you must leave 45 meters. For trucks it is more. In adverse conditions, it is more.

Obviously, nobody calculates while driving, but it at least gives new drivers a feel for what is an appropriate following distance and it quickly becomes second nature.

Enforcing this DOES work. The lack of tailgaters in Belgium and most of the civilised world is proof.

As for the argument that it would slow down traffic, bullshit. It's the opposite. Ever wondered why we have 4 lane freeways with speed limits of 100km/h? Ever wondered how the french keep good road toll figures even though their freeway limits are 140km/h? And the German autobahns? Simple, if there was no tailgating, there'd be no reason to have such stupidly low speed limits.

Everyone's always winghing about our silly speed limits, well people, it's not going to get any better. 100km/h on the freeway is wayyy too fast when a bloody semi driver is sniffing your farts.

27-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Just a couple things. When I got my first licence, in Belgium, one of the exam questions was the formula for "distance de securite". Can't remember exactly but it was something along the lines of: take the first digit of your speed and multiply by 5. For example, doing 90kms, you must leave 45 meters. For trucks it is more. In adverse conditions, it is more.

Obviously, nobody calculates while driving, but it at least gives new drivers a feel for what is an appropriate following distance and it quickly becomes second nature.

Enforcing this DOES work. The lack of tailgaters in Belgium and most of the civilised world is proof.

As for the argument that it would slow down traffic, bullshit. It's the opposite. Ever wondered why we have 4 lane freeways with speed limits of 100km/h? Ever wondered how the french keep good road toll figures even though their freeway limits are 140km/h? And the German autobahns? Simple, if there was no tailgating, there'd be no reason to have such stupidly low speed limits.

Everyone's always winghing about our silly speed limits, well people, it's not going to get any better. 100km/h on the freeway is wayyy too fast when a bloody semi driver is sniffing your farts.

25M in a 50 zone? 5M in a hundred zone? Yes I'm taking the piss, but a better version of exactly the same rule would be half your speed, in metres.

Either way, that would not work. We don't have enough road!

Ps. We don't go slow because people are close, people are close because we go slow
Basic. Fucking. Physics.

Travel faster and you are on the road for less time. At any given time, there will be less cars on the road. Gedit?

Try again. Two cars, 2 seconds appart at 100kph will be closer than two cars 2 seconds apart at 150kph. Speed, time and distance are directly related to one and other.

As the number of cars on the road would not change, but they would he on the road for less time, this would result in there being more space between each car. (this all assumes freeway like roads, wa's intersections go and fuck all of this right up)

CitizenD
27-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Give up position or drive faster until you can. How many people here stand ground on the bike when confronted by vehicles larger than ourselves? Safety is about going with and quickly adapting the flow of traffic not blind faith that obeying a sign or the road traffic act will keep you safe. It won't. It's practice vs theory.

Before you get too into the truckies, forgoing the fact that without them there would be nothing on the shelves of any store, take the same skill set of predicting driver behaviour, thinking for them and then modifying our journey, which we use to keep ourselves alive, and now do that in a vehicle that can take 300m to stop and 3 times that to get up to the speed of traffic, but with the purpose of keeping a largely ignorant and incapable light vehicle population alive. There's a pretty valid reason truckies are generally like they are.

It's probably already been said, but traffic cops are the worst tailgaters out there.

filbert
27-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I reckon I've saved at least a dozen lives already this week by thinking for other drivers CitizenD :lol:

I don't often get tailgated on the bike because my speedo is faulty, its pretty much always reading 30km/h higher than what the signs say.

Kia
28-02-2013, 01:26 AM
When ever I'm getting tail-gated by some chump or chumpette, I just slow down to half the limit. Obviously don't smash the brakes.

If they get angry, let em. They'll change lanes and piss off and go bother someone else.

Ceebeearrarr
28-02-2013, 08:13 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDMqDdvdj-kLCKs3RrtH7uhzIq288e-uLQSEWZg1cXo0R4J8Hl

MPH but you get the idea. Stopping distance includes thinking distance as well

igor
28-02-2013, 08:34 AM
mmmm i'm doing the limit.. ie 60... the car in front is doing 55 in a 60 zone... must make me a tailgater then.. my bad.. (if on the bike, easy, over take..) if in the ute..I'm doing the speed limit, if your not .. MOVE.. eh my bad..

filbert
28-02-2013, 08:39 AM
mmmm i'm doing the limit.. ie 60... the car in front is doing 55 in a 60 zone... must make me a tailgater then.. my bad.. (if on the bike, easy, over take..) if in the ute..I'm doing the speed limit, if your not .. MOVE.. eh my bad..

It's a limit not a minimum....

It's not that hard to adapt to the speed of traffic around you and maintain safe margins for error.

Try breathing through your nose and relax.

The Judge
28-02-2013, 08:49 AM

Just for you my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gl4JCsn6Un0#!

Give yourself 5 minutes of YOU time in the morning before you get out of bed. Sounds like you need it.

henrys
28-02-2013, 09:29 AM
FFS it's not that hard kids:
"ONLY A FOOL BREAKS THE TWO SECOND RULE"

How's that you say?
ONE Elephant.......
TWO Elephant......
(You can use hippopotamus or frill neck lizard if you prefer)

SPman
28-02-2013, 02:14 PM

How's that you say?
ONE Elephant.......
TWO Elephant......
After a while it just comes naturally......defining a distance is always going to be fraught with cockups!

The_Wookie
28-02-2013, 02:51 PM

'Not sure if serious...'

Geeman
28-02-2013, 03:19 PM

How's that you say?
ONE Elephant.......
TWO Elephant......

And I will argue black and blue I do exactly this while I drive, I always have and that I had left plenty of distance to the car in front and was definitely not tailgating, but, obviously it wasn't enough when she braked hard and I gave her a little tap. Which is why I took the warning without complaint and was glad no one was injured.
Why did I hit her?? because I was scanning the crosswalk as well for that half a second that she decided to stop for no reason. Can you predict everyone's decisions on the road, hell no. Did I make a mistake, yes and was lucky it was very minor.

The point I was trying to make was, and has been explained in much better english than mine, is that no matter how many laws they bring in or old ones they now decide to enforce, it is driver behaviour that must change. We all know Perth has some of the worst driver attitudes anywhere.

out_in_front
28-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Geeman - well there you go, you were tailgating and distracted... keep on digging that hole....

shmoo
28-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Haha. Add "failing to pay due care and attention" to the following too closely charge.

Para045
28-02-2013, 07:25 PM

How's that you say?
ONE Elephant.......
TWO Elephant......

I just did 1 + 2 Efelants in .75 seconds but the Frill Neck Lizards took 2.6 seconds, it doesn't work :rolleyes: Must be because the Efelants are bigger :lol:

sprung
28-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Behaviours being promoted here as the correct thing to do:

Pulling on handbrake so there's no brake lights to indicate you are braking, which could possibly cause an accident, just to piss off driver behind.

Braking when there is no reason to brake, to possibly cause an accident, just to piss off driver behind.

Slow down to a lot less than the speed limit just to piss off the driver behind.

So answer me this, why, just fucken' why?

Are you closet, or even overt, bullies, protected in your locked cage, getting off on the power trip you get by making someone else angry by your attempts to control their behaviour?

If someone is tail gating me I just presume an emergency situation will be more of their problem than it will be mine. I just get on with keeping my desired position on the road, which includes staying to the left as much as possible to let faster road users, especially fellow bikers, to get by. I also try to give other road users as much courtesy as I can, whether they choose to be be just as courteous is up to them and I don't let it bother me if they choose to be ignorant selfish bastards.

Kia
28-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Behaviours being promoted here as the correct thing to do:

Pulling on handbrake so there's no brake lights to indicate you are braking, which could possibly cause an accident, just to piss off driver behind.

Braking when there is no reason to brake, to possibly cause an accident, just to piss off driver behind.

Slow down to a lot less than the speed limit just to piss off the driver behind.

So answer me this, why, just fucken' why?

It's more of a pre-caution. Id rather not have someone sitting 20cm from my back tyre when I have to pull an emergency cause 9/10 Im going to come off second best. If he/she gets pissed off screw 'em. They deserve it for endangering my life and my passengers. Seeing as though I ride a bike 90% of the time I think an emergency brake is almost always my problem.

Courtesy is fine in most cases, but sometimes you need to be assertive and say "Hey this is my area. Get the hell back!!".

Also, yes. I was a little bit of an asshole growing up.

yaabaa
01-03-2013, 02:37 AM
I also don't think that slowing down quickly, or even slowly etc to piss the tail gating idiots off is a good idea. A trick that works fairly well for me (Most of the time, certainly not all though as some people just don't think) is to put the hazard lights on. As soon as they think there is something wrong with my vehicle they usually back off a bit, and I am sure it is not because they give a rats about me or my shit.

andymac
01-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Tailgating is one of the single largest contributors to the congestion on our freeways.

Driving too close to the vehicle in front:
- reduces event reaction options, often limiting drivers actions to hard-braking or sudden lane changes both impacting other road users
- prevents traffic which is entering freeway from joining at increased speeds (the slower the traffic joining, the more it slows drivers approaching the on ramp merge point)
- prevents 'valid' lane changes for drivers attempting to use exit ramps, filter lanes etc further slowing traffic

None of these issues are addressed by cameras or laws as such - they are addressed by
1) training new drivers
2) education of existing drivers
3) changing the attitude and behaviours of existing drivers

In most conditions, you should be able to manage the gap between you and the vehicle in front of you, using nothing more than the miracle of physics. Whereby lifting off the accelerator slows your vehicle without the need for applying the brakes!

The Judge
01-03-2013, 10:10 AM
I also don't think that slowing down quickly, or even slowly etc to piss the tail gating idiots off is a good idea. A trick that works fairly well for me (Most of the time, certainly not all though as some people just don't think) is to put the hazard lights on. As soon as they think there is something wrong with my vehicle they usually back off a bit, and I am sure it is not because they give a rats about me or my shit.

Well, if you really want to get tailgaters to wake up, read about my solution here (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f16/vizi-tec-brake-light-flasher-147755/).

Never fails, quick blip and they back off without fail.

out_in_front
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Just let the faster drivers pass if they tailgate - it's much easier and less stressful - if they want to speed - let them! it's only going to be their licenses lost - esp at our waaay too low speed limits.

In the US they had 'turnouts' on the roads - places where slower people pulled over and let faster drivers past, esp on some of the more twisty roads - and people were curteous enough to use them- it was great! I wish people would do that here!

modnar
01-03-2013, 11:03 AM
I would like to see the cameras that they are looking to use for this, it would be so easy for somebody to cut you off just before a camera, then you get caught and fined for somebody else driving like a retard. Its just more money going into something stupid and petty. There are many ways to deal with tailgaiting as mentioned in this thread and personally I would rather the money going into this which is a cause for many minor accidents going into something alot more dangerous to us such as drink drivers.

igor
01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
mmmm last time I logged in i'm sure this was P.S.B. not Sunset Scooter Club..how things have changed.. I even remember going on a Friday nite ride some time back... Speed limit... hahaha funny...

The_Wookie
01-03-2013, 06:59 PM
mmmm last time I logged in i'm sure this was P.S.B. not Sunset Scooter Club..how things have changed.. I even remember going on a Friday nite ride some time back... Speed limit... hahaha funny...

Just curious as to what you're implying.

igor
02-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Just curious as to what you're implying.
well from my last post, im being told that the posted speed limit don't count even though thats the speed you should be doing and to SLOW DOWN ENJOY THE RIDE.. now by what i am implying... SLOW DOWN ENJOY THE RIDE on a 200hp sports bike ain't gunna happen.. As for that applying for/to a Friday nite ride may as well sell ya bikes and buy scooters and join a scooter club.. I enjoy spirited rides and have been on a few.. (yes i'm off subject here too)