PDA

View Full Version : Flat tyre

Aussie Lass
30-04-2013, 06:40 PM
No, not me thank god.

Turned up to a meeting tonight, guy on a bike behind me turns up. Turns out he got a puncture on the ride here ( from bunbury nonetheless). Rode 10kms on a flat to get to the meeting on time.

What would be the best way to deal with the flat after we get out of this meeting? Puncture repair kit at the servo maybe?

Edit:located in Belmont

Tyre is for a Kawasaki zx6r

kennyboy
30-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Doubt you will find a repair kit at a servo... Never looked tbh.
Hopefully someone on here can lend a hand, I don't have a kit. Thanks for the remonder

thro
30-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Always carry a bike tyre repair kit in your bike. This will get you out of the shit when you're at the side of the road until you can get home or to a tyre shop :)

Surely someone there has one? I have a kit but i'm like 50km away...

51 New West
30-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Front or rear tyre?

How big a hole?

Aussie Lass
30-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Rear tyre. Not sure on hole size

51 New West
30-04-2013, 07:56 PM
It's a common practice in England for motorcycle couriers to use a self tapper coated with superglue to plug holes. A guy on a Triumph forum I'm on had 12 screws in a rear tyre that he replaced while he was a courier in London. The other option is to simply ride. I rode from Toodyay to Canning Vale via Lower Chittering Road on a flat rear; once you're rolling the rotation "inflates" the tyre enough for the Forrest Highway.

Aussie Lass
30-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Help is on the way.

Thanks shortSteve

Biffer
30-04-2013, 08:13 PM
hope it's not a tubed tyre lol

Stoneville
30-04-2013, 08:35 PM
shortSteve (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/member.php?u=8416), bring it here and we'll put a mushroom plug in it :)

That's if the poor guy wants to go home to Bunno tonight

Aussie Lass
30-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Sorted it out Stoneville

Although the guys poor wife probably wasn't happy having to pick him up.

shortSteve
30-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks Sandra, should have texted me. The tyre was BALD! about a 1/2 inch slit in it, 2 plugs only just slowed the leaking, pumped up to 40 psi, he was going to leave it at a nearby 24hr police station and get picked up. Needed a new tyre.

Kristy
30-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks Sandra, should have texted me. The tyre was BALD! about a 1/2 inch slit in it, 2 plugs only just slowed the leaking, pumped up to 40 psi, he was going to leave it at a nearby 24hr police station and get picked up. Needed a new tyre.

pfft, he was obviously running slicks, n00b :rolleyes: :P

PS: good work, but must have been a bit of a pain in the arse to rescue someone whose lack of maintenance may have partly contributed to the problem due to no tread bufferage :(

thro
30-04-2013, 10:29 PM

clown shoes. always a good idea to leave an obviously unroadworthy vehicle with the cops. i'm betting the front wasn't any better?

shortSteve
30-04-2013, 10:35 PM
clown shoes. always a good idea to leave an obviously unroadworthy vehicle with the cops. i'm betting the front wasn't any better?

We all know its the safest place, never any cops there!
Remember browncows lil honda, if it and spuddy's gpx had an obese large capacity child, it would have been this bike.

thro
30-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Remember browncows lil honda, if it and spuddy's gpx had an obese large capacity child, it would have been this bike.

the horror!

:lol:

edit:
double clown shoes for riding up from bunbury with that :D

Rich...
30-04-2013, 11:03 PM

So it had no oil either...

Thirsty
01-05-2013, 12:15 AM
So it had no oil either...

And a flat battery?

NardoCycle
03-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Keep it coming!! I deserve all the bashing!!

I bought the bike a few months ago but have been putting off getting a new tyre as I am a full time student and work 5 days a week. I don't get to ride often, which is why I haven't changed my tyre.
The previous owner apparently didn't like to turn, sides had full tread!!
Anyway Front tyre is good, and I recently changed the oil!!
I managed to ride it to Tyres for Bikes the next day as the honda shop had no tyres in stock, either sizes 180 or 170!!
Big thanks to the two awesome people who helped me out!

Aussie Lass
03-05-2013, 03:04 PM
well this is awkward :P