PDA

View Full Version : Nicholson/Garden/Yale Roundabout Re-configuration

Bendito
14-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Hi friends I found this on the internet and wanted to share it.
In addition to the two new slip-lanes, the lanes in the roundabout have also changed, mostly for traffic heading south on Nicholson Road turning right onto Nicholson Road, and traffic entering from Yale Road.
Open the linked PDF to see what's up.
Please be aware and stay safe :)

City of Gosnells - Roundabout - Nicholson Road/Yale Road/Garden Street (line markings) (http://www.gosnells.wa.gov.au/About_our_City/Major_initiatives/Roundabout_-_Nicholson_RoadYale_RoadGarden_Street_line_marking s)
http://www.gosnells.wa.gov.au/files/0dac806c-bacf-4adc-a147-a1dc00e66f60/Nicholson_Garden_Yale_media.pdf

The reconfiguration of the intersection of Nicholson Road/ Garden Street/ Yale Road is a joint initiative of Main Roads Western Australia and the City of Gosnells. It has been designed in a way that accommodates the high traffic movements that go through the roundabout on a daily basis. As the new layout may be unfamiliar to many road users, the following information helps to clarify how drivers can safely travel through the intersection.

Spiral line marking has been used at this location which means that:

Motorists that turn right from Nicholson Road (Bannister Road/Railway side) are directed into the outside lane to turn left into Nicholson Road (west) thereby overcoming the conflicting crossover with the two lanes of traffic turning from Yale Road.
Please refer to the Related Links below for a visual depiction of the roundabout and traffic movements.
The operation of the other roundabout legs have not changed since the new 'spiral' line marking has been installed. Motorists should ensure they follow the pavement marking arrows and signs, give way to the right and give way to anyone that is already in the roundabout.

Site observations have shown that some motorists are not complying with the pavement markings on Yale Road. Please note that:

Motorists entering from Yale Road need to comply with the pavement arrows marked on their lanes.
Motorists entering the roundabout from the right lane on Yale road must turn right only and follow the inside circle lane of the roundabout until they exit at Nicholson Road (Bannister Road/ Railway side).
Motorists entering Yale Road from the left lane may turn left onto Garden Street, drive straight through to Nicholson Road (west) following the outside circle lane or turn right following the outside circle lane exiting on Nicholson Road (Bannister Road/Railway side).
It is important to understand that the fundamental rules of roundabout operation still need to be complied with. The following clauses are taken from the Road Traffic Code 2000.

"A driver entering a roundabout shall give way to a vehicle that is within the roundabout.

If a driver is entering a roundabout from a marked lane and there are traffic lane arrows applying to the lane, the driver shall
(a) if the arrows indicate a single direction drive in that direction after entering the roundabout; or
(b) if the arrows indicate 2 or more directions drive in one of those directions after entering the roundabout

If a driver is driving in a marked lane in a roundabout and there are arrows marked on the surface of the road applying to the lane, the driver shall
(a) if the arrows indicate a single direction drive in or leave the roundabout in that direction; or
(b) if the arrows indicate 2 or more directions drive in or leave the roundabout in one of those directions."

mekon
14-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Noticed the solid lines around the roundabout separating lanes. Maybe it's that simple.

Bendito
14-06-2013, 07:58 PM
The attached PDF is kinda crap, haven't found a better one yet :)

Mr_Mike
14-06-2013, 07:58 PM
its a headfuck!!! if you are coming from North and want to head west you enter the roundabout from the RH lane then half way round you are pushed out to the outside lane before exiting left.
So if someone coming from the Thornlie side entrace wants to go straight. are no longer able to take the outside lane and go straight as this would result in you going straight into the side of cars turning right.

Cunts have enough trouble trying to understand round abouts without adding this extra shit in!

Bendito
14-06-2013, 08:04 PM
^ The official reply to that concern seems to be the above quoted section of the Road Traffic Code, that as they are already on the roundabout, you must give way, and not assume you will still be able to continue around their outside.

mekon
14-06-2013, 09:06 PM
It matters not, it's Canning Vale, first to tramp his gas peddle and get onto the roundabout wins no matter how much damage caused. You see it as you approach, someone a lot further away from entering the roundabout sees you and can't take it, they gas it and come screaming through forcing harsh braking from others and a complete failure of the roundabout principle.

When I see this happen, in my head I hear (in the style of the film 300), "This...Is....Straya!"

Mr_Mike
14-06-2013, 09:31 PM
It matters not, it's Canning Vale, first to tramp his gas peddle and get onto the roundabout wins no matter how much damage caused. You see it as you approach, someone a lot further away from entering the roundabout sees you and can't take it, they gas it and come screaming through forcing harsh braking from others and a complete failure of the roundabout principle.

When I see this happen, in my head I hear (in the style of the film 300), "This...Is....Straya!"

LoL in saying that there was an accident at the Warton/Nicholson Rd roundabout this afternoon, someone had gone flying into the roundabout in their 4wd and skittled a little corolla off the road

Mortz
14-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Wikipedia reveals the name for this type of intersection - Turbo Roundabout (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout#Turbo_roundabouts).
Still trying to work out what's so turbo about it though :-/

Guaranteed to cause more accidents by people who have no idea what they're doing on the roads, let alone at a normal roundabouts.

saj
15-06-2013, 12:34 AM
It's good to see them put out an announcement. Coming from Yale Rd and having 2 signs AND painted arrows isn't enough for the dumb ass drivers. I've been taking the roundabout turning right from the left lane and almost got cleaned up twice in a week while in the cage. Damned if I'm going to chance it when I get my new bike.

On that diagram they forgot to include the express slip lane from Livingston direction of Nicholson that bipasses the roundabout and causes Nicholson to be a 3 lane road after the roundabout. That wonderful slip lane that gets backed up as people in the *now* middle lane want to get into the left lane and people in the left want to be in the middle lane.

GO PERTH!

rc_sam
15-06-2013, 11:13 AM
I go through there quite often.
Whoever designed this is a total idiot.
There will be many accidents with the confusion of changing lanes on the roundabout.

I can see a high risk of people coming from Yale colliding with cars coming from Nicholson.

donkeyboy
15-06-2013, 01:21 PM
They just *had* to fuck with it didn't they....it was working ok with the slip lanes, but I can't see how getting people to basically change lanes in the middle of the round-a-bout it going to help.

BusaSteve
16-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Changing lanes when on a roundabout goes against the basic principal of a roundabout. A simple system has been made infinitely more complex and for what?...negative gain...typical planning office thinking 'it sounds like a good idea lets put it into action' without any further thought...same as the tiny roundabouts and chicanes that cause havoc for emergency vehicles. I wonder if injured parties could take action?...probably not!

Incidently the following is interesting...Chicane comes from the French verb chicaner, which means "to quibble" or "to prevent justice".

Mortz
16-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Changing lanes when on a roundabout goes against the basic principal of a roundabout.
And yet somehow it's still perfectly legal, "provided it is safe to do so". Plenty of people ignore the "safe to do so" part at a certain set of roundabouts in Malaga :-/

rnelson955
17-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Wow, my head hurts just trying to make sense of the announcement......that roundabout is going to be a disaster.

Andeh
17-06-2013, 09:20 AM
I go through there quite often.
Whoever designed this is a total idiot.
There will be many accidents with the confusion of changing lanes on the roundabout.

I can see a high risk of people coming from Yale colliding with cars coming from Nicholson.

WHS. It's a horrible design. First in WA? Considering how bad people are with roundabouts, this is not going to end well.
I doubt it will be long until someone changes lane and gets collected by a car going straight (who is doing the right thing?)

If going straight, I will check for cars. If the car in the roundabout is signalling right and they look "ok" I will enter the roundabout. I can only imagine this will happen to people unfamiliar with the roundabout.

Just realised another point. The amount of cars that turn right from the left lane is shocking. This is gonna work great!

Mr_Mike
17-06-2013, 01:44 PM
The Yale Rd entrance in the worse as you have 2 lanes entering the left lane can turn left or go straight, the right lane can go straight, merge to the left then turn right to head towards Cannington.

The slip lanes are awesome have cleared up the intersection great, but why they have had to fuck about with making the round about half 2 lanes and half 1 lane is beyond me.

BlueZR7
19-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Someone in Gosnells city council has been on the wacky weed.

I'll avoid that intersection like the plaque.