PDA

View Full Version : Importing seeds

agrid
06-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Buying seeds through the post will cost more - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-25/buying-seeds-through-the-post-will-cost-more/4779770)

Gardening is way down on my list of interests, but this decision is just plain idiotic.

Spina
06-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Just import the seeds, inserted into pen barrels, from Amsterdam. Oops, probably not the type of seeds most gardeners would be after :lol:

Manyak
06-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Gonna get my sister in Sydney to send 10 envelopes of seeds to my managers house :P

agrid
06-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Gonna get my sister in Sydney to send 10 envelopes of seeds to my managers house :P

Make sure she doesn't include a return address.

AWSE
06-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Lucky me.
I just bought all the chilli seeds I'll ever need via eBay from Queensland.

Rich...
06-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Just import the seeds, inserted into pen barrels, from Amsterdam. Oops, probably not the type of seeds most gardeners would be after :lol:
Really, in a pen...

I've seen them in a book with pages cut out...

Para045
06-07-2013, 08:05 PM
The department's spokesman Greg Pickles says quarantine officers will inspect parcels for contamination and send the recipient an invoice.

So they actually let the seeds through then send you an invoice? What happens if you then say "nah fuck it, $56 for $5 worth of seeds is stupid and decide not to pay it? Do they then come around to retrieve the seeds? Either that or they end up with a lot of seeds sitting around to dispose of :confused: Because I can see a lot of businesses wont bother telling the person buying the seeds about it :o

ReCon
06-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Now you need to decide whether to traffic smack or seeds over the border in the Kombi...

Sumfun4me
06-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Yeah, but if they went around telling everyone of the coming change people would have bought up big before the effective date & just imagine how much hard-earned revenue the government would have missed out on. Typical bunch of wankers that they are.

shan
06-07-2013, 08:37 PM
That implies you thought about it, that is smuggling
Better just drop them in your bag loose, that is an accident. Count then in , count then out.

OP. that is truly fucked
will this be the same for bulbs I wonder, It might be thought of as a bit gay but I like flowers (there , I said it )
This is a idiotic rule IMO.
We have done very well thus far with out this rule / tax
why the big change ?

Taylor
06-07-2013, 08:39 PM
This sounds like a business opportunity.

If you can get accreditation for your own quarantine procedures then you can charge half as much as customs for your shrink wrap and sticker and they'll go straight through.

After a while the word will get out that every import to WA needs to go through your business to save money.

Spina
06-07-2013, 08:50 PM
That implies you thought about it, that is smuggling
Better just drop them in your bag loose, that is an accident. Count then in , count then out.

OP. that is truly fucked
will this be the same for bulbs I wonder, It might be thought of as a bit gay but I like flowers (there , I said it )
This is a idiotic rule IMO.
We have done very well thus far with out this rule / tax
why the big change ?

Doesnt imply anything, I saw this about 15 yrs ago in a news article. The govt was letting the public know that they had discovered this scam.

So is this the federal govt doing what it does best, and what exactly the benefit of this charge and what are the risks of unmonitored seeds that warrant the policy to start with? How much revenue would it generate?

Looks like anything the govt can cook up for loss of royalities is getting hit. When will it end?

agrid
06-07-2013, 09:00 PM
More embarrassing is that it's the state Government. The risk of something bad coming in is relatively high, that's why we rely on public goodwill to a large extent. That goodwill is about to disappear.

shan
06-07-2013, 09:04 PM
More embarrassing is that it's the state Government. The risk of something bad coming in is relatively high, that's why we rely on public goodwill to a large extent. That goodwill is about to disappear.
That is a faire point
Most of us do the right thing
But if it costs a small fortune , well . Many will sneek a few seeds here or there, after all .
What harm could it do.
Yes we all know the answer to that , but thats the way it will go no doubt.

EDIT =we by from reputable stockists ( at least i belie we do here )

ReCon
06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Just re-read the article.

So the Ag Dept. will be policing [read 'monitoring' ] this thing will it?

If they have the same number of personelle and funding as they do now , then this is a class A waste of time..

Will need the cops to tailgate groups of pensioners in caravan convoys around the country like they do with the bikies. :rolleyes:

XSorXpire
06-07-2013, 09:51 PM
So we need to do a group buy on bulk seeds to spread the cost amongst the buyers.

OK.

Who are the interstate seed sellers you use and what do you buy?

We have a huge amount of people here and could use our community to save a lot of money on inspection costs.

We were about to buy wheat grass...

rc_sam
06-07-2013, 10:08 PM
With the way cane toads are advancing, I don't think it's going make any fucking difference whatever preventative measures are introduced.

shan
07-07-2013, 10:43 AM
related ?
Is Monsanto the World& (http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/is-monsanto-the-worlds-most-evil-corporation.aspx#axzz2YK8NmsKZ)#39 (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=39)s Most Evil Corporation?

EDIT =
wow
just read through this mob,
Google (http://www.google.com.au/webhp?source=search_app#gs_rn=17&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=5&gs_id=i&xhr=t&q=monsanto&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=monsa&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aGc&fp=4700427ed485b490&biw=1366&bih=643)

filbert
07-07-2013, 05:45 PM
related ?
Is Monsanto the World& (http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/is-monsanto-the-worlds-most-evil-corporation.aspx#axzz2YK8NmsKZ)#39 (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=39)s Most Evil Corporation?

EDIT =
wow
just read through this mob,
Google (http://www.google.com.au/webhp?source=search_app#gs_rn=17&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=5&gs_id=i&xhr=t&q=monsanto&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=monsa&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aGc&fp=4700427ed485b490&biw=1366&bih=643)

dunno about most evil but if they had the scenario that Australia had when they decided to introduce the cane toad they would probably have fitted the cane toads with laser targeted machine guns and impenetrable armour just to fuck us over a bit harder.

agrid
07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
dunno about most evil but if they had the scenario that Australia had when they decided to introduce the cane toad they would probably have fitted the cane toads with laser targeted machine guns and impenetrable armour just to fuck us over a bit harder.

Very embarrassing that an entomologist introduced the cane toad. But I have to say he was a geologist by training who went to some island near the Caribbean and saw lots of can beetles damaging sugar cane. He then went to another island and saw lots of cane toads and few cane beetles. He came to the dumb-arse conclusion that threatens our environment today.

I don't have a problem with GM crops that simply accelerate plant breeding; but I am against companies like Monsanto developing seeds that will not propagate and permit growers in developing countries re-seeding their crops.

Gangus
10-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Yeah, pbr crops are kinda rude.

Really hope that suppliers such as Phoenix seeds can work with aqis, with quality practices and quarantine measures in place so the end user isn't getting shafted keeping garden diversity wider than the bunnings f1 range...

MADOGA
10-07-2013, 10:02 AM
but I am against companies like Monsanto developing seeds that will not propagate and permit growers in developing countries re-seeding their crops.

This is the core of their method, they dont want farmers providing their own seed stock from last crop , as it is far more profitable for monsanto to sell seeds to farmers each and every year, along with monsanto approved fertilizers and pesticides herbicides etc.

monsanto=evil no ifs butts or maybes and wil quite likely poison this planet....more

agrid
10-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Frankenstein Food ....GAAAAAH!!!

non_quotidiun
25-07-2013, 07:08 PM
We buy a fair amount of seed from Diggers club in Vic: mainly heritage type seeds that are better tasting veggies and you can replant the seed and get good results year after year. So now with a $56 inspection fee, buying 14 packs of seed has doubled the price, assuming an average price of $4 per pack of seed.

But we can now get cheaper, uninspected, imported, Californian grapes as the Dept of Ag has assured us that that industry self regulates and poses no threat at all to the WA vineyards ?

I guess the 20+ billion dollar State debt after a mining boom has to be repaid somehow....

agrid
25-07-2013, 10:33 PM
We buy a fair amount of seed from Diggers club in Vic: mainly heritage type seeds that are better tasting veggies and you can replant the seed and get good results year after year. So now with a $56 inspection fee, buying 14 packs of seed has doubled the price, assuming an average price of $4 per pack of seed.

But we can now get cheaper, uninspected, imported, Californian grapes as the Dept of Ag has assured us that that industry self regulates and poses no threat at all to the WA vineyards ?

I guess the 20+ billion dollar State debt after a mining boom has to be repaid somehow....

I hear you. Surprisingly the grapes from California are less of a threat than the grapes from the eastern states.

non_quotidiun
25-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Yeah it's a bit like "Locks only stop honest people".
I'll be going to Melbourne soon anyway....should I wrap seed packets in condoms and swallow them, stick 'em up my bum, or tape them to my body ? :o

agrid
25-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Swallow them whole then shit through a strainer.

cowasaki
30-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Just got a notice from Garden Express - they are going to carry the $56 charge and continue to charge $4 for quarantine on seeds/plants to WA :)

Garden Express (http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/)

Nine
30-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Eden seeds are doing the same thing

agrid
30-07-2013, 08:46 AM
I think that will have some impact on availability as they will send bulk lots to be inspected at the same time. If you are after a special order or something out of stock, they won't wear the $56 fee on a $4 sale.