PDA

View Full Version : First time taking pillion - tire comes off

Rocko
21-07-2013, 03:48 PM
So last night I was heading back from a party with a mate on the back (gave him a lift there too), turn onto great eastern and the back wobbles like mad. Managed to keep from falling off, pull over to the BP immediately on the right and looks like the tire came off the hub... we're both mid 80 kg so I'm guessing there was too much weight on the back. Walked the bike a few kilometres back to a mate's place to leave there and managed to get myself home. Lesson learned.

So, altho it isn't immediate was wondering if anyone here would please be able to help me put the tire back on and pump it with air? Or direct me to a service which provides this? I've never changed a motorbike tire, and my old man who has helped me with all the basic motorbike maintenance is overseas at the moment.

Any help/time would be really appreciated and repaid with a bottle of your choice or an amount we agree on. The bike is garaged in redcliffe at the moment.

Cheers

Kristy
21-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Let that be a lesson to having >1 dick per bike :P
...that is if you're a dude too.

Sucks BTW, hope someone gets you sorted :)
How low do you think the pressure was? must have been stupidly low? If excessively low pressure, weight would have played a part, but not on its own if the tyre was within the ballpark of what it should be.
Is there any damage to the rim? If so, might not be so easy to just pop the tyre back on and pump it up.

Rocko
21-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Let that be a lesson to having >1 dick per bike :P
...that is if you're a dude too.

Sucks BTW, hope someone gets you sorted :)
How low do you think the pressure was? must have been stupidly low?

Haha yes, this is my punishment for breaking the sacred commandment... I also got him to hold onto my sides because it felt like he was bouncing around on the back too much. :lol: Yeah, I'm a dude, only other time before this I've taken a passanger was in Thailand on a scooter, but my gf is about 38 kg so barely felt like she was there.

I honestly didn't know what pressure it was - but probably too low for having a similar weighted passanger. Didn't even cross my mind, and yeah lesson learned, lucky I didn't come off.

Kristy
21-07-2013, 04:02 PM
I edited my post, prob while you were responding to mine - is the rim damaged/bent/ground away - I assume it's had some direct contact with the black stuff?

Rocko
21-07-2013, 04:02 PM
It looks like there's superficial damage to rim - like scrapping on the sides closest to the wheel, but from memory it didn't seem like it was bent out of shape if you know what I mean.

GIXXEN
21-07-2013, 04:06 PM
my gf is about 38 kg.

Da Faq, is that even healthy ?

Have you checked if she's alive ? Or do you date skeletor ?

Kristy
21-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Can't help you with putting the tyre back on unfortunately, but if all else fails, take off the rim and take it into a bike place? If it were me I'd be wanting assurance the rim is still straight and good to go.

SilentBob
21-07-2013, 04:11 PM
She could be really short...
160kg on a bike is fine...

Kristy
21-07-2013, 04:17 PM
She could be really short... young

that's what you meant to say, right? :P /bear that looks pedo-like

Rocko
21-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Have you checked if she's alive ? Or do you date skeletor ? Dunno, she eats like a horse, just is a foot shorter than me and doesn't seem to put on weight. Some people are lucky

Can't help you with putting the tyre back on unfortunately, but if all else fails, take off the rim and take it into a bike place?

Yeah no dramas, that's an idea tho, cheers.

Rocko
21-07-2013, 04:21 PM
She could be really short...
160kg on a bike is fine...

Thats what I thought, according to the manual the max weight is 180, which we would have been around with all gear/backpacks etc. Tire pressure probably wasn't high enough.

Aufitt
21-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Tyre pressure is on the swingarm,
as is the load rating, 160kg on a cbr250 is not over the limit.

kennyboy
21-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Thats what I thought, according to the manual the max weight is 180, which we would have been around with all gear/backpacks etc. Tire pressure probably wasn't high enough.

Learn something? General bike maintenance includes but not limited to checking tyre condition and pressure.
Step up your game or you could kill someone, you i don't give a shit about but if you killed some innocent bystander or other road user because of your negligence you could likely go to jail and have to live with the fact you shortened some bodies life,robbed them of a child/mother/father.
General maintenance is important, don't just get on and ride.

Sorry if this seems harsh but its pertinent. You should notice if a tyre is that low in pressure pretty much as soon as you ride it. Either that or its been slowly getting lower and lower meaning you haven't checked your tyre pressure in some time.
A good rule to follow is check chain adjustment and tyre pressure every second time you fill up, maybe its over the top, but it sure as hell would have likely stopped you almost binning your shit with your mate on the back

I Like ( . Y . )
21-07-2013, 06:48 PM

Have you checked if she's alive ? Or do you date skeletor ?

Yeah but you can see she has a bone....Badoom tish

Rocko
21-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Learn something? General bike maintenance includes but not limited to checking tyre condition and pressure.
Step up your game or you could kill someone, you i don't give a shit about but if you killed some innocent bystander or other road user because of your negligence you could likely go to jail and have to live with the fact you shortened some bodies life,robbed them of a child/mother/father.
General maintenance is important, don't just get on and ride.

Sorry if this seems harsh but its pertinent. You should notice if a tyre is that low in pressure pretty much as soon as you ride it. Either that or its been slowly getting lower and lower meaning you haven't checked your tyre pressure in some time.
A good rule to follow is check chain adjustment and tyre pressure every second time you fill up, maybe its over the top, but it sure as hell would have likely stopped you almost binning your shit with your mate on the back

Well thanks for telling me you dont give a shit if i die :confused:

generally i check tire pressure once a month and pump it up if needed, i definitely didnt notice or feel it being low - but that was just me on it. i do check tires for wear/tear, check and lube chain every fortnight ~ 500-600 km.

but yeah, i fullly accept that i should have checked tire pressure and take it on the chin that it was my fuck up - im not certain if it was the cause of what happened, but i agree its important to check regardless.

Stephan
21-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Tyre might have a leak that you didn't notice when you took off in the dark. Don't get discouraged by the haters. Those guys are all perfect and maintain their bike 100%. Happened to a mate of mine who nearly crashed with my gf on the back. He is very experienced and looks after his bike very well. So, don't beat yourself up too much...you life to tell the tale...

kennyboy
21-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Yea fair enough, sounds like you do actually do a bit of the right thing, sorry i took that so far.
There are many people that neglect their bikes and at a quick glance this sounded like the case.
And the whole dying thing is in regard to negligent people, if you hurt yourself your problem but if you hurt someone else that's a whole other story.

Still I would have thought a tyre that flat that it can break the bead would be fairly noticeable even in straight riding?
I know when I had a flat tyre it was like riding a bike with cheese for tyres.

Para045
21-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Tyre might have a leak that you didn't notice when you took off in the dark. Don't get discouraged by the haters. Those guys are all perfect and maintain their bike 100%. Happened to a mate of mine who nearly crashed with my go on the back. He is very experienced and looks after his bike very well. So, don't beat yourself up too much...you life to tell the tale...

This^^^ Check the tyre as it's possible you have picked up a screw or nail, I picked up a 100mm nail a few years back on the way home from work that I eventually found had gone into the tread area but gone out the side and hit the rim :o Initially the bike felt OK but about 5 km from home it started handling like a barge and even though I stopped and looked I couldn't really see anything initially as it was dark :huh:
Got home and parked up but when I looked in the morning the tyre was dead flat :( Tyre was properly fucked :huh:

Captain Starfish
21-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Get skinnier mates, and seriously dude - a dude?

notangryjustdisappointed.gif

filbert
21-07-2013, 09:29 PM
could have been a puncture mid ride too...

i once pulled up at the pub at the end of a ride and slid and wobbled into the carpark like a drunk learner with a deathwish, moments earlier i had been pointing the speedo needle at the high beam light at the bottom, it all went pearshaped when i was braking on approach to the pub and the wheel stopped but the tyre didn't.

Stoneville
21-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Take rear wheel off and take to Tyres for Bikes and get it plugged if a hole or put back on, or replaced

shortSteve
22-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Well thanks for telling me you dont give a shit if i die :confused:

generally i check tire pressure once a month and pump it up if needed, i definitely didnt notice or feel it being low - but that was just me on it. i do check tires for wear/tear, check and lube chain every fortnight ~ 500-600 km.

but yeah, i fullly accept that i should have checked tire pressure and take it on the chin that it was my fuck up - im not certain if it was the cause of what happened, but i agree its important to check regardless.Dude, taken the wrong way...what psi are you running when you check it/pump it up?

thro
22-07-2013, 04:30 PM
how often do you check tyre pressure?

edit:
beaten... flat tyre with a heap of extra weight on it will end in tears.

shortSteve
22-07-2013, 04:30 PM
:whistling:
Tyre might have a leak that you didn't notice when you took off in the dark. Don't get discouraged by the haters. Those guys are all perfect and maintain their bike 100%. Happened to a mate of mine who nearly crashed with my gf on the back. He is very experienced and looks after his bike very well. So, don't beat yourself up too much...you life to tell the tale...

thro
22-07-2013, 04:32 PM
And lol.... i don't check tyres anywhere near as often as I should.

Front was wanting to tuck on way to FNR one evening... after riding from bayswater to scarbs i stop at the BP nearby and notice 18 psi in the front.

:lol:

If you ride every day it creeps up on you....

Rocko
25-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Yea fair enough, sounds like you do actually do a bit of the right thing, sorry i took that so far.
There are many people that neglect their bikes and at a quick glance this sounded like the case.
And the whole dying thing is in regard to negligent people, if you hurt yourself your problem but if you hurt someone else that's a whole other story.

Still I would have thought a tyre that flat that it can break the bead would be fairly noticeable even in straight riding?
I know when I had a flat tyre it was like riding a bike with cheese for tyres.

All good, I do understand where you're coming from.

Rocko
25-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Anyway, bit of an update. Finally had time to go to mate's place and managed to get the tire back on the rim and pumped up.

Checked the tire thoroughly and noticed a few of these metal things (nails?)

http://i39.tinypic.com/jzxh83.jpg

Pumped tire up and put some spit on them and they didn't appear to be leaking air.

Rode the bike home, didn't notice the rear tire was bumpy or anything, so seems ok.

I'll check tire later on, see if its gone down... hopefully it was just my dumbass that resulted in it, and I don't need to replace tire :\

Rocko
25-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Get skinnier mates, and seriously dude - a dude?

notangryjustdisappointed.gif

hopefully make it up tomorrow (if bike's ok) by taking a 45 kg asian girl with an impressive rack for a ride to the zoo :lol:

Aufitt
25-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Bike shop with plug that tyre for you Rocko.

and pics of tomorrows 45kg load or ban!

devolved
25-07-2013, 04:24 PM
and pics of tomorrows 45kg load or ban!

I just don't think its legal.

Give it a couple of years.

ellibe08
28-07-2013, 06:50 PM
I've had the same things before in mine mate.
Went from 36 to 20 psi in 1 week.
Definately get it plugged, last thing you want is to be riding at 100 and have it go pear-shaped then.

Speed Dealer
28-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Is it just me, or is the most tragic and concerning thing about this situation the fact there were two penises on one bike? The bike Gods were trying to tell you 'not cool man, not cool'.

Stephan
29-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Is it just me, or is the most tragic and concerning thing about this situation the fact there were two penises on one bike? The bike Gods were trying to tell you 'not cool man, not cool'.
You're about one page and about 10 posts too late...

=Maz=
05-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Checked the tire thoroughly and noticed a few of these metal things (nails?)

Staple I would guess.
Now post pics of your usual pillion, and the 45kg one, in the Rack thread as punishment for breaking the "1 Dick/bike" rule. ;)

GsxInShed
05-09-2013, 05:05 PM
'Tyre flat AND ridden on till comes off rim'

Do wot Stoney said,mate

That tyre will be fucked.!

Like a racing pidgeon in midflight!

Don't have 2c----So I wrote my opinion ---instead..:rolleyes:

Tic
28-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Ive done something similiar before.

took the GF to the movies and got a puncture didnt find out until i hit a hard left with the girl on the back i thought she was trying to jump off the bike. scary shit.

But yer get the rim off and get it to a tyre joint to get it looked at.