PDA

View Full Version : Broken down Cnr Vincent and Charles St

Ryanoceros
24-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Hey PSB, my VFR has broken down and as far as I know the battery is fucked. If anyone has a bike trailer or lives nearby and can lend some garage space then I would be grateful/can reimburse with alcohol.

Message me on 0423109208 if you can help

O-J
24-08-2014, 05:05 PM
We're on the move

agrid
24-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Got garage space up near Cyclemania if that's a help.

Ryanoceros
24-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks to ride2live for the jump and the lift to Bunnings, she'll be staying inside until I get it fixed. Thanks for the offer agrid

24-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Be sure to check your charge rate. There may be a reason the battery failed.

Stoneville
24-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I had the same thing today, rode over to Scabs then all the way up the coast to Burns Beach, then started heading home got the the set of lights just before Gnangara and Alexander and lost all power! Had to pillion home to go back and get it with the trailer

Who'd of thunk that a battery only lasts 7 years!!!

Scorcher
24-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Who'd of thunk that a battery only lasts 7 years!!!

Bloody hell!!! That battery owes you nothing!!! In fact, Yuasa should have sent you an invoice 3 years ago!!!
I always leave my batteries on trickle charge when not in use. So far, my 2010 R1 still has the same battery since it left the factory/shop. Of course, now that I have posted this, it will shit itself at the most inappropriate and humiliating moment and within 30 days of this post!

Ryanoceros
24-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Be sure to check your charge rate. There may be a reason the battery failed.

Common fault with VFRs is that the regulator rectifiers are notoriously shit, it's the only functional thing on the bike Honda went cheap on and as a result I've been stranded twice now. She's going to live in a workshop from Wednesday onward until I spend all of $50 to buy a new one. Electrical faults are an absolute demon..

Stoneville
25-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Bloody hell!!! That battery owes you nothing!!! In fact, Yuasa should have sent you an invoice 3 years ago!!!
I always leave my batteries on trickle charge when not in use. So far, my 2010 R1 still has the same battery since it left the factory/shop. Of course, now that I have posted this, it will shit itself at the most inappropriate and humiliating moment and within 30 days of this post!

mm maybe cos I ride them all the time? Anyways, getting a new one this arvo for $80 from Savage Suzuki, come to think of it, better get one for the thou as well, that hasn't been changed out and nearly as old!! 78k and 88k from one battery is pretty good in my books :) Bet these new ones don't last as long!

thro
25-08-2014, 09:10 AM
mm maybe cos I ride them all the time? Anyways, getting a new one this arvo for $80 from Savage Suzuki, come to think of it, better get one for the thou as well, that hasn't been changed out and nearly as old!! 78k and 88k from one battery is pretty good in my books :) Bet these new ones don't last as long!

Still exceedingly lucky: my 600rr went through 2 batteries in 7 years, average life expectancy in my experience is almost bang on 3 years.

Ridden pretty much every day, etc.

SilentBob
25-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Common fault with VFRs is that the regulator rectifiers are notoriously shit, it's the only functional thing on the bike Honda went cheap on and as a result I've been stranded twice now. She's going to live in a workshop from Wednesday onward until I spend all of $50 to buy a new one. Electrical faults are an absolute demon..

$50? Hardly sounds enough for a battery let alone a regulator/rectifier. I would definitely take the time to use a multimeter to check the R/R and the stator.

Ryanoceros
25-08-2014, 11:05 AM
$50? Hardly sounds enough for a battery let alone a regulator/rectifier. I would definitely take the time to use a multimeter to check the R/R and the stator.

I've been lurking on the 400greybike forum and according to them, the fix for the R/R costs ~$50 from eBay. If it's anything other than that (which I'm hoping it's not), it will be more. It had a new battery put it before I bought it, so it'd seem unlikely to need a new one within a year. I found a really good guide on how to diagnose the common electrical faults on this bike, and I'll definitely be using a multimeter to work out if it's just a cheap fix or something a bit more complex

25-08-2014, 11:19 AM
It's a honda

It's almost certainly the rec/reg

It's about the only thing thats ever been a widespread issue for honda.

Stoneville
25-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Still exceedingly lucky: my 600rr went through 2 batteries in 7 years, average life expectancy in my experience is almost bang on 3 years.

Ridden pretty much every day, etc.

mm haven't put a battery in the Honda yet, that's an 09 model, might be a Suzuki thing? the K8 Gixxer thou hasn't had one yet either

thro
25-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Stoneville : Do you park your bike under cover at work? Heat can apparently degrade batteries, so I'm just wondering if mine being parked outside at work on 40 degree days could have something to do with it.

Stoneville
25-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Stoneville (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/member.php?u=7149) : Do you park your bike under cover at work? Heat can apparently degrade batteries, so I'm just wondering if mine being parked outside at work on 40 degree days could have something to do with it.

Always use Elder St unless I'm using the under cover at the back of a certain building, but yes, mine is never outside!

Para045
25-08-2014, 08:30 PM
I've been lurking on the 400greybike forum and according to them, the fix for the R/R costs ~$50 from eBay. If it's anything other than that (which I'm hoping it's not), it will be more. It had a new battery put it before I bought it, so it'd seem unlikely to need a new one within a year. I found a really good guide on how to diagnose the common electrical faults on this bike, and I'll definitely be using a multimeter to work out if it's just a cheap fix or something a bit more complex

Trouble is a dodgy R/R or stator can kill a good battery if it's overcharging :o

Ryanoceros
25-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Trouble is a dodgy R/R or stator can kill a good battery if it's overcharging :o

I'm going to find out the cost to have the stator replaced as well as the r/r, and I'll probably get my battery checked. There's also a cable that runs through the "V" of the engine ( good spot Honda, absolutely tops) from the alternator that can sometimes melt for obvious reasons, so I'll be checking that too. It's really 'sparked' my interest in fixing electrical issues