PDA

View Full Version : trouble with engine coolant

tim661
26-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Not road side, but am trying to bleed my radiator after flushing the coolant and it keeps pouring out everywhere. Need help.

agrid
26-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Need more detail, sounds like you haven't put a hose back properly.

tim661
26-01-2015, 08:59 AM
I have a gsxr600 flushed the coolant out with destilled water connectrf all back up and tiltrd the bike from left to right to remove air bubbles. I turn the bike on to run for 5 minutes and the coolant starts pouring out of the rad cap everywhere.

acdcfan
26-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Is radiator cap back on?

tim661
26-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Nop, i left it off for the air to bubble off.

llbuono
26-01-2015, 09:39 AM
I have a gsxr600 flushed the coolant out with destilled water connectrf all back up and tiltrd the bike from left to right to remove air bubbles. I turn the bike on to run for 5 minutes and the coolant starts pouring out of the rad cap everywhere.

You didnt flush the engine hot did you.

chew
26-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Coolant will expand with heat as well as spill out with the pump.

Does it have a thermostat that is not open yet?

I am not 100% sure but I would have thought run briefly with cap on then stop engine and let air out.

bratt01
26-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Wait for the bike to be cold. Flush system, fill with distilled water at radiator till its full. Fill overflow to the line. Leave the rad cap off. Start the bike it gets up to about 85 degrees, stop the bike. Refill the radiator to the top, put the cap back on. Start the bike and let it run till the fans come on. Switch off and wait for it to cool. Refill with water if necessary and off you go. Thats what I do.

tim661
26-01-2015, 10:12 AM
So there must be air in the systen still. If anyone is free to lend a hand this morning would be apprexiated othetwisr i ll have to get it trailed to a garage. I live in maylands

tim661
26-01-2015, 10:28 AM
And how do u know when the system is free of air

Bill-2014
26-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah you still have air in the system run it with the cap on once it starts getting above normal temp but not over heating shut it off wait for it to cool down enough to Remove the cap top up to the correct level and fill overflow to the top run it again doing the same process that should clear it you may need to do this a few times if you have an airbleed nipple on the cooling system open that and it will clear quicker

g0zer
26-01-2015, 10:48 AM
And how do u know when the system is free of air

i think you are doing it right. i run the engine up with the rad cap off too for the same reason. its not necessary to run it so the temp comes up so much that the system overflows. just give it some cold revs to blow any air out and top up repeating until the level stabilises, then close it up.

on the r1, the overflow reservoir level is visible without removing anything so checking before and after every ride takes no time. as chewy points out when the motor is hot expect the reservoir level to be high and when the motor is cold, expect it to lower.

did the fluid overflow that reservoir, the first time you brought the motor up to temp with the rad cap on?

Rocko
26-01-2015, 11:09 AM

What do you expect it to do? The cooling system is designed to run at a higher pressure, to increase its boiling point. By removing the cap the coolant is subject to a lower pressure, will boil and piss out everywhere. This is why you don't remove a radiator cap from a car which has been running, as the sudden decrease in pressure is gonna make the coolant instantly turn into steam and burn yourself.

I normally flush the system, fill it up, let it run with the radiator cap off, give it a few blips of the throttle and press against the radiator hoses to help remove any air. Run the bike as normal (with cap on), let it cool down, and top up fluid accordingly.

tim661
26-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Well i have tried everything. I ll get it towed to a garage next week and reflushed and refilled. Dooh.

bratt01
26-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Nah man, just follow the instructions we all gave you and you should be sweet

BusaSteve
26-01-2015, 11:47 AM
You have burped it right? you will almost certainly have to lean the bike as far as you can each way to allow trapped air to bubble up and out...even to the extent as it is running. You haven't mentioned any additive....you should....read must if you wish to avoid corrosion...have at least a 50 50 mix of coolant and inhibitor. IMO anyway.

agrid
26-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Mate, you're over thinking this, just try some the things suggested, take your time, let it cool down and top up as required.

thro
26-01-2015, 01:03 PM
If this is just a track day bike (not racing), you do realise you don't need to run water, yes?

edit:
and if you don't need to run water, running coolant is a much better idea for engine longevity.

Rich...
26-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Depending how old a GSXR it is there is a bleed screw on the thermostat housing...

It's a bitch to get too but it's there for a reason...

RTFM...

Rocko
26-01-2015, 03:10 PM
^its a 2012

I have no idea why you think it needs to be towed to a garage, and reflushed. Seems like a massive waste of money/time.

BusaSteve
26-01-2015, 04:30 PM
As everyone stated it is not hard...just get the air out and if its overflowing then its overfull....do not fill the overflow bottle higher than the top mark. Lean the bike from side to side to get the last few air bubbles out with the cap off.....simple...squeek, like the meerkat on telly says

26-01-2015, 05:38 PM
I assure you, no mechanic out there will lean your bike over to fill/flush the coolant...

tim661
26-01-2015, 08:32 PM
So, after a lot of clean up and thinking, i think i missed the last step, capping off and leting the system run.

I have a 2012 gsx-r600 and thought the green nulon coolant, at 50/50 mix with distilled water would be best. But after draining the coolant i found that the coolant colour was a blue.

the handbook just says it needs to be a gycol coolant, compatitble with alloy radiators. Do I need to use the blue?

The bike is for general use and also track days.

I might be tempted to have another go during the week. My neighbours must hate me hahahaha

Rocko
26-01-2015, 08:48 PM
^might want to look into that, i.e. what your manual specifically calls for. Do what potato recommended in the other thread and contact Suzuki.

I know for some Honda's silicate free coolant is recommended (which is typically blue), as the silicate can damage the water pump seals.

27-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Don't dilute it either.

By a premixed coolant.
They will have a better quality of water in there that your shop bought distilled water.

potato
27-01-2015, 08:15 AM
^might want to look into that, i.e. what your manual specifically calls for. Do what potato recommended in the other thread and contact Suzuki.

I know for some Honda's silicate free coolant is recommended (which is typically blue), as the silicate can damage the water pump seals.

around $40 for the right stock item :)

Bill-2014
27-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Most coolants these days are glycol based it will tell you on the bottle
Can be blue green red or even yellow the colour means nothing all depends on the manufacturer

tim661
28-01-2015, 08:48 AM
OK so yes, 2012 GSX-R600 uses blue coolant.

I flushed the green stuff out and refilled with the blue coolant. A tip i learnt was to squeeze the hoses to help the air bubbles vent out. Did this twice, tipped the bike a few times, then replaced the rad cap and ran it till the thermo came on. Let it cool, topped up and then done! Super easy second time round but very messy.

Next time I ll get K-Tec to do it.

I gave them a call to book the bike in to fit braided lines and he talked me through the air bleed process. Very knowledgable and patient. Next time I will take the bike there to get fixed.