PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on whitfords ave

comehereoften
12-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Hey everyone. So was cruising along in 3rd and the engine light came on and the bike cut out and now wont start.

I just filled it up with petrol but doubt that could be anything to do with it.

Ive tried starting it in neutral and in gear. Turns over but wont fire. I have noticed that the power light on the power commmander isnt coming on with the ignition, could that be my problem. 2010 fz1n. thanks all forgot to mention that the engine light is still on and wont go off

AZAZL
12-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Where are you? coast? If you need a trailer and cant get local, I'll do it but 40 away.

EDIT: saw last post.

BlueZR7
12-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Try disconnecting the PC. Means lifting the tank to get to the connectors.

Link to installation guide to assist in disconnection

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/22-015/install/pcv/engI22-015.06.pdf

comehereoften
12-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Yer i unplugged the pc and its going now. The underseat tool kit is a life saver

Sprint
12-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Reflash the PC when you get an opportunity and see if it cooperates.

S.

BlueZR7
12-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Yer i unplugged the pc and its going now. The underseat tool kit is a life saver

Nice, I'd say that if the power light isn't coming on the PC has taken a dump or a fault in the wiring. See if it powers up using a USB cable.

comehereoften
12-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Thanks. Good idea, I'll do that when I get home. The pc is only a month old :/

comehereoften
12-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Where are you? coast? If you need a trailer and cant get local, I'll do it but 40 away.

EDIT: saw last post.

Thanks for the offer mate.

- - - Updated - - -

Reflash the PC when you get an opportunity and see if it cooperates.

S.

How do you do it?

BlueZR7
12-01-2016, 07:55 PM
How do you do it?

Download the latest firmware from here

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCV

In the PCV software, Go to View > Device Information to see the current version. If you need to update the firmware, go to Power Commander Tools > Update Firmware.

Provided the device powers up and connects using the USB cable. If it doesn't then it is faulty.

Stephan
12-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Have a chat to Paul at Chain Reaction in Kewdale. He's full bore on power commanders.

comehereoften
12-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Awesome thanks heaps for the help people. I'll do it tomorrow and see how it goes

comehereoften
13-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Good and bad news. I plugged the PC into the laptop and it powers up and I did the firmware update (thanks BlueZR7) But the PC still wont power up when I turn the ignition on so I plugged the laptop back in to power it up and the bike will start. So the PC is not getting power from the bike, the wiring looks good so must be inside the unit?? I'll give that Paul guy a call.

BlackFZR
13-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Are you sure it has a good earth connection? Thats always a doosy that I've seen happen occasionally.

BlueZR7
13-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Good and bad news. I plugged the PC into the laptop and it powers up and I did the firmware update (thanks BlueZR7) But the PC still wont power up when I turn the ignition on so I plugged the laptop back in to power it up and the bike will start. So the PC is not getting power from the bike, the wiring looks good so must be inside the unit?? I'll give that Paul guy a call.

Yes, check the earth is tight and clean on the battery and look at the earth lead from the battery to the PC to make sure it isn't damaged or cut. If that is ok then the fault is either in the PC wiring loom or the PC itself. The fact that the bike runs with the PC disconnected confirms that everything on the motorbike works fine on that side. That's about all anybody can do, no need to throw money at mechanics, who will only do the same thing and loose half of your fairing clips and bolts in the process. As it is only a month old, should be fixed or replaced under warranty, if purchased locally ;)

Hamster
13-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Are you sure it has a good earth connection? Thats always a doosy that I've seen happen occasionally.

Yep, forgot to reconnect the PC earth lead on the track bike and it was very dead when I tried to start it at the track. Luckily someone did the old "should this lead be attached to something" as I was checking the fuses [emoji3]

comehereoften
14-01-2016, 07:49 AM
Hey, thanks for your suggestions. Yer I have checked the earth, fuses and all the wiring and its all good. I have emailed dynojet technical support so hopefully will hear back soon.

Also just another question when I unplugged the PC and plugged the stock wiring back I went for a ride yesterday and when I got home I just realised that I hadn't plugged the o2 sensor back in but the bike ran fine. Is that bad to run without it, the ecu must run the bike richer or something? No error codes or anything tho. Cheers

Hamster
14-01-2016, 08:03 AM
No error codes seems odd, unless the PC somehow cancelled that one and it stays cancelled because it's done at the ecu?

Para045
14-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Also just another question when I unplugged the PC and plugged the stock wiring back I went for a ride yesterday and when I got home I just realised that I hadn't plugged the o2 sensor back in but the bike ran fine. Is that bad to run without it, the ecu must run the bike richer or something? No error codes or anything tho. Cheers

Does it actually run an O2 sensor with the PC? I was under the impression you had to use an O2 eliminator when running a PC :confused: Not 100% as I don't have a FI bike, either way I'd expect error codes :confused:

comehereoften
14-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Does it actually run an O2 sensor with the PC? I was under the impression you had to use an O2 eliminator when running a PC :confused: Not 100% as I don't have a FI bike, either way I'd expect error codes :confused:

When installing the PC5 they tell you to disconnect the o2 sensor which I did but when I put it back to stock when the PC fuct out I didn't reconnect the o2 sensor and it still runs fine and with no error codes. Seems strange, I'll reconnect it anyways until I get the PC sorted but I was just wondering if its bad for the bike.

I got a reply from dynojet and they said it will need to be replaced and its under warranty so yer thats the go. Good customer support :)

BlueZR7
14-01-2016, 08:44 PM
The ECU on the FZ8 and FZ1 only uses the information from the o2 sensor within a certain rev range, if I remember correctly it is about at normal cruise RPM's. All it does is fine tune the fueling in that range. If it is outside that range or if the ECU detects no o2 sensor the ECU just uses the standard fuel tables in it's ECU. The reason the instructions tell you to remove/disconnect the o2 sensor is so it doesn't fight against the fuelling you have requested using the power commander. The FZ8 and FZ1 series of bikes do not throw up error codes when the o2 sensor is disconnected. Also no o2 eliminator is required as well. I hope that makes sense.

Alternatively you could get the PC working again by using a 12V to 5V converter and running the power into the PC using a USB cable. One way to keep it going if this happens again outside of warranty. Something like the like below.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Re-equip-Motorcycle-12V-Cigarette-Lighter-Universal-USB-Port-Cell-Phone-Charger-/251907849702?hash=item3aa6e0bde6:g:8b4AAOSweW5VImK p

Triple
14-01-2016, 10:31 PM
My brother's PC5 came with an o2 eliminator plug in the box for his FZ1