PDA

View Full Version : 'Junkies' shopping...

Jonchilds
11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Ok, so I've been out with my father in his van today shopping for a 'new' beer fridge. Now, the shops are closed today, so our 'shopping' was cruising around a couple of the richer suburbs having a bulk rubbish collection looking for things worth salvaging, such as used fridges, 100" CRT Tv's etc...

First fridge had a dead compressor, so wasn't worth fixing, so we stripped the aluminium and copper ($4.50/kg) off it and returned it to the verge it once came from, and found ourselves a second fridge which worked, although having a few scratches and broken handle. A little low on refrigerant, but after 15min, the freezer was working again, and the fridge was starting to get cool. Score!

We also found a fertiliser spreader, and some more aluminium window frames (to in the scrap metal box).

There's alot of seemingly working TV's in the richer suburbs, and alot of materials that are completely salvagable with just a little work, especially the older fridges with a broken thermostat ($18 to replace), old barbeques, and other stuff that's just too '1999' for the richer members of our society.

Does anyone else go cruising around some of the bulk refuse collections when they're about?
What's your best find?

(Disclaimer follows: We don't live in a junkyard, but at the same time don't like to see anything in working order wasted. Anything that doesn't have a good use goes out on the next collection or is donated to someone who will)

TYSON
11-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Why does the quote "Tell him he's dreaming!" come to mind, Dont worry my old mans the same.

best find ive had was a working playstation 1 :)

Mattis
11-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Found a huge plastic outdoor table in the same street as me, it has a removeable piece that turns it from an 8 seater to a 6. Only thing wrong with it was that it had a small piece of plastic missing from one of the legs, doesn't actually affect the stability of it though.

We took it home by sticking it on the roof of the car :)

I always see a shed-load of computer bits, but ive already got too many atm so the missus would have my balls if I was to bring home any more :D

-J-
11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Me personally i dont really go out "scavaging" my dad on the other hand is a bit of a "tip monkey" prings home garden pots etc... once brought home a rose bush (accused him of digging it up).

Funniest thing I did see someone collected was a really really old dingy matteress we put out and a group of people picked it up in 5 mins and loaded into their old dato

Jonchilds
11-06-2006, 08:29 PM
The list so far that I can recall is:

- 2x Barbeques, one of them a rangehood, just needed a degrease and cleanup, and some nails.
- 1x Fridge Freezer (today's find), needs paint and new handle.
- 1x Minifridge, needed new thermostat.
- 3x PC's, one was 'top of the line' when we found it. Firedamaged, needed new case and optical drives. Others have made it as upgrades to family members and friends as far away as the UK.
- Various CRT monitors, now replaced.
- Laser Printer, $88 to fix - can't buy that cheap.
- A3 Bubblejet printer - untested, but very clean. Looks promising.
- Car Jacks and tyre irons (needed grease)
- Chest of draws, needed a coat of paint.
- $2000 of Jarrah from a patio. Needed planing, painting and currently being straightened. Will go up this summer most likely. Prices as quoted by Bunnings.
- 'Folding' indoor chairs. Re-covered and painted. Now serve as very classy chairs for the dinner table at dads place.
- 'Bar Stools', as above.

Nothing 'second class' when finished with.

dugy
11-06-2006, 08:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/doug1277/IMG_0163Small.jpg

;)

snowman95
11-06-2006, 10:31 PM
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=1795312 (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1795312)

Ev
11-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Gees Jonchilds you and your fancy suburb rich pickins

I found a respectable hybrid bicycle round the corner in Balga just gave it a new rear tyre fixed the puncture and we were go that was my best find.
-handy 2nd computer, beds etc

I don't generally go shopping but I usually take a detour on my way... great way to recycle and save the planet
and dugy I sure wish you could understand or then again more treasure for me!

dugy
12-06-2006, 06:29 AM
...and dugy I sure wish you could understand or then again more treasure for me![/b]
Was just a joke/stir. Tried to make it obvious with the " ;) "........;)

We certainly have become a throwaway society haven't we.
Walking the dogs yesterday I was quite amazed at the sheer quantity of "stuff" on some people verge's.

Although I wonder what the council does with the stuff and if what they salvage pays for the service? (I have no idea.)

Old Dung Beetle
12-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Last rubbish collection i put out a massive cardboard box full of crap, got home from work and it was empty.

They would be smiling, they scored themselves a perfectly working 5.1 surround sound amp which was only 2 years old, i only chucked it coz i got a better one and couldnt be bothered selling it.

Dubs
12-06-2006, 07:29 AM
if i was mechanically minded i would on that shit like Pacman on a Muscle Chick

Dubs

mstriumph
12-06-2006, 08:06 AM
us rural types don't actually ever throw stuff out

----- i personally have a couple of security screens serving as doors to the chookhouse, '70s batwing doors on reciprocating hinges doing duty as garden gates, bits of chain serving as farmgate hinges, a 70.s caravan as a study and numerous other bits and pieces pressed into service long after their supposed 'use by' date [oh - my tractor is a 1939 model :wub: ..] don't see the point in chucking perfectly good stuff out?

Mr John
12-06-2006, 08:10 AM
We call it 'Bring out your dead"
I've done the occasional trawls for stuff & I'm an avid op-shopper too.

dr00
12-06-2006, 09:52 AM
we put so much shit out at the last verge collection and within 24 hours 90% of it was gone... i dunno why we wait for the verge collections coz theres never anything left for them to collect... back when i lived in bassendean there was this mattress that had been leaning against hte back fence for a year or so, mouldy, ripped and rat infested. we put it on the verge and it was gone within hours... :blink:

Jonchilds
12-06-2006, 10:12 AM
They would be smiling, they scored themselves a perfectly working 5.1 surround sound amp which was only 2 years old, i only chucked it coz i got a better one and couldnt be bothered selling it.
[/b]

That's exactly my point, but where these people have 2-3 $50,000 cars in the driveway (Pajero's, Land Cruisers etc...), you can almost guarantee that alot of the stuff works...

AFAIK, most of this stuff ends up in landfill unless saved prior to collection. Greenwastes usually get mulched and sold back to the public or used on council gardens.

mesaboogie
12-06-2006, 10:26 AM
They have these outside Honda dealerships 365 days a year... and still no-one wants em... :ph34r:

Ev
12-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I was never sure dugy I was just giving appropriate reply no harm.

After seeing what happened to all the treasure I put out during the last bulk refuse nowadays if I have something that someone can use I just put it out the front any time of the year and bang within days it finds a new home which I am happy for and it saves me the hassle of selling it or takeing it to the tip

Jonchilds
12-06-2006, 11:41 AM
+2 Bread Makers, from which I've just polished half a loaf off for breakfast today...

Bulbous
12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
we used to put stuff out on the verge in Roleystone all the time for the verge collections..... then we would wake up in the morning, or come home at the end of the day, and the people who had gone through looking for the good stuff has spread the rubbish all the way down the verge to try and sort through it, then left without cleaning their mess up again...... once i had stayed home and thrown large rocks at the next few groups doing the same thing, we never had a messed up verge again...... :thumbsup:

Barfridge
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
That topic really threw me. I thought it was the type of shopping where you let yourself in via a window at about 4am, and take whatever is small and valuable.

Here in the city of bayswater we have the opposite problem. We don't have hard rubbish collections, instead you book a skip (it will take us 5 bloody weeks to get one). THe problem is the second a skip turns up in the street, overnight it is full of somebody elses garbage.

Speaking of that...anyone want a washing machine? Pumps etc are fine, gearbox is rooted.

sabre1
12-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Speaking of that...anyone want a washing machine? Pumps etc are fine, gearbox is rooted.
[/b]

BLOODY kawasakis :lol: :lol:

Taz
12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
years ago when living in melb when they had these collections the old man would go and grab the old style cabinet tvs....then look for the fish tank in the next pile ...rip the guts out of the tv and install said fish tank then sell the result...he did heaps of them....

his yard now looks like steptoes and he says he will use the shit some day.

likefry
12-06-2006, 07:23 PM
I got my awesome queen size bed from my mates sister which was only like a year old coz it was giving her a sore back.

The funniest thing i have seen put on the verge is at my folks place. My dads a doctor and he had an old Autoclave which looks like a microwave with a big steel door on the front and they are used to heat up medical instruments to about 400 - 500 degrees C and a couple of atmosphere's pressure to sterilise them. my folks put it out and it sat there for a couple of days then this guy drove around a bit and asked what it was. We told them and he was like hmmmm ok and ended up taking it.

I really would like to know what the hell he's going to do with one of those things.