PDA

View Full Version : FML - left bike on park in Fiona Stanley basement, anyone got a charger?

Sn0wcr45h
20-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Fuckity Fuck.
Left zed thou on park by accident and drained battery.

Anybody help with a charge?
No flecking idea how I'm gonna get to the battery either, fucksticks!, am off for a smoke... Numbers below, appreciate the help...

Nevermind.... Someone hit the kill switch, battery's all good, should have checked that first... Bit passed that someone's been touching my bike, but I'll deal with that later

Known
20-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Lol I have done literally the exact same thing. Left my park light on in error. Came back to what I thought was a dead battery as the bike didn't start. Spent 20min trying to push start the bastard only to realise I had been kill switched.

Sn0wcr45h
20-07-2016, 05:55 PM
I never leave it on park, so when I saw the tail light on, it's the first thing that popped in my head... Dead battery... It was just as I hit send on the post, and was walking away for an angry smoke, i thought I'd just double check it the kill switch, and low and behold...

comehereoften
20-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Someone may have seen your lights on and hit the kill switch thinking it would turn them off

Speed Dealer
20-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Rookie error :D

Just in case your battery or someone else's goes flat, why not carry a jump starter? I carry one that's the same size as my Samsung S6, just about double the thickness. You can use it to charge your phone on the go as well via the USB port. It'll easily start a 6 cylinder car a couple times and will start motorbikes multiple times.

Around $60 from eBay and comes in various mA/hour ratings.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ebayimg.appinthestore.com/webimg/suaoki/upload_img/original_img/170569201_20160628_10_Suaoki_Jump_Starter_8000mAh. jpg

NAK3D
20-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear you are all sorted Snow.
Don't you normally park up near me in P1? The reason I ask is that the down ramp to the next two floors can be pretty handy if your battery does go flat, the surface is a little slippery but can be used for a rolling start... ask me how I know :D

Sn0wcr45h
20-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Good shout on the pocket jump starter Speed Dealer... Will invest for future use...

And yeah, NAK3D, used to park the old bike up top, but it got very busy after FSH opened up. Plenty of room down the ramp, and away from prying eyes, so started parking down there... Actually thought about you first, didn't know if you were still around mate...

Benny D
22-07-2016, 03:34 PM
wow them portable jump starter things are friggen awsome.

im gonna get one just for the sake of having one. never seen anything like it. maybe ive been living under a rock somwere? :dntknw:

agrid
22-07-2016, 04:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgV2FPAAfy4

98kellrs
23-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Bit passed that someone's been touching my bike, but I'll deal with that later

Really? I'd rather someone killswitch the bike than be stranded somewhere because I forgot to turn my lights off.

Sn0wcr45h
23-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Really? I'd rather someone killswitch the bike than be stranded somewhere because I forgot to turn my lights off.

Hmm.. Why would the kill switch stop battery drain? My understanding is that the kill switch stops power to the engine. Might be wrong though... But the fact that the kill switch was on, and park lights were still in, makes me think the kill switch wouldn't have stopped battery drain per Se...

I guess if there's background battery use by the engine even when switched off, then the kill switch might help reducing the engine battery drain when the lights are taking power as well, but I can't see any reason for the engine taking battery power when switched off..

98kellrs
23-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Hmm.. Why would the kill switch stop battery drain? My understanding is that the kill switch stops power to the engine. Might be wrong though... But the fact that the kill switch was on, and park lights were still in, makes me think the kill switch wouldn't have stopped battery drain per Se...

I guess if there's background battery use by the engine even when switched off, then the kill switch might help reducing the engine battery drain when the lights are taking power as well, but I can't see any reason for the engine taking battery power when switched off..

Maybe I misunderstood? As I understand it, you left your park lights on, someone killswitched the bike to turn them off, and you then thought your battery was flat, then discovered it wasn't?

Sn0wcr45h
23-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Maybe I misunderstood? As I understand it, you left your park lights on, someone killswitched the bike to turn them off, and you then thought your battery was flat, then discovered it wasn't?
Nah, I came back to the bike to see the rear Park lights on. Tried to start and wouldn't crank over, so immediately thought the battery was dead. Got past experience from an old 250 long time ago going flat when in park, so now make conscious effort to not put it in park unless emergency on highway.
So, yeah, lights were still on, bike wasn't cranking, thought dead battery, but no, was kill switch.

xphread
25-07-2016, 10:02 PM
Oh, so you are the one with the Z1000. :)

Hi.
I park the black and red GSXR near you whenever its raining. (but usually park at carpark 6 if its dry, as I work in the SRS building)
My Boss also parks near you with the newish black FZR. (or scorpio or RZ350 occasionally)