PDA

View Full Version : Which broadband router?

Campo
20-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Looking at setting up on broadband and interested in purchasing a router, unfortunatley i'm not that clear on what the firewall feature does on a router and is it worth considering?

What do you guys have and what do you recommend?

Klink
20-03-2004, 07:11 PM
If you are going to go ADSL then I would recommend the Dlink 504+ router/firewall/modem.

Thats all I can really suggest, I've not had Cable broadband before.

Campo
20-03-2004, 07:14 PM
We've been looking at the Dlink 500. Really thinking about going for iinet broadband.

What's the good things about the 504?

Whats the go with the firewall feature as some routers have it and some don't.

Melkor
20-03-2004, 08:30 PM
The Klink machine is correct.

504 Dlink is a great router/modem.

500 Dlink is the same router/modem without a 4 port switch built in (which means you need the router/modem AND a switch)

I don't even think you can get a 500 anymore except 2nd hand.

Expect to pay about $200.

Campo
20-03-2004, 09:01 PM
The Klink machine is correct.

504 Dlink is a great router/modem.

500 Dlink is the same router/modem without a 4 port switch built in (which means you need the router/modem AND a switch)

I don't even think you can get a 500 anymore except 2nd hand.

Expect to pay about $200.

Thanks Melkor, we're looking for one as we speak.

doorman
20-03-2004, 09:48 PM
The Dlink DSL-500 series have a number of problems.

MSN messenger locks the router up when receiving files. There is a patch for this but it doesn't work 100% of the time.

The routers don't like updating the firmware, 1 in 3 die need the firmware put back on via a serial cable, (if you have the older type that has this port, if not, back to d-link). 1 in 5 die all together and need big time servicing from D-link.

They freeze up at random for no aparant reason!

They have an odd memory that can't be cleared until the router decideds it ready to, if a particular IP connects to it too often it firewalls it, never to be seen again.

They often can't get sync on the line and have to be rebooted a few times.

How do i know? I've installed heaps and heaps and heaps and a few more of them. Westnet have now dropped them becase they were just too much trouble, I beleive that other ISPs have followed.

They are cheap, you do get what you pay for (ie they are no Cisco). Netgear and netcomm seem to be popular. Surprisinglly I'm hearinggood thing about Netgear.

As for an ISP, go with Westnet, iiNet suck, the whole attitude there has changed over the last few years the best bit is this (http://www.iinet.net.au/support/whatsupport.html) where iiNet refuse to support adsl modems and routers, I have had them refuse to support equipment they supplied on their connection!

Westnet is a little bit more expensive but you won't regret it.

Stickman
20-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Heya Cambo, from memory at work we have a couple of router/modem with and also without a 4 port switch.
I am sure you already know ppl who can get them cheap for you.. if you dont give me a PM and I will sort try to something out for you.

dugy
20-03-2004, 10:52 PM
I got a Netcomm NB1300plus4 with my swiftel acc. for $125 ($215rrp allegedly).

Modem/4-port hub/firewall (NAT?)

Happy with it, no probs.

Other than it works, and the fact I know SFA about modems, that's all I can say. :wink:

mattah
21-03-2004, 09:21 AM
I have a netcomm NB1300 or something as well, and it's great (only cost me about 130ish as well (wholesale acct)). If anyone is interested I've also got a 24 port managed switch that I'm getting rid of. :) It's only taken me a year to realize that I probably don't need it. Plus, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. ;)

Campo
21-03-2004, 09:25 AM
I've got a bid on Ebay for one but if that doesn't come through then for sure I'll put the feelers out here for one. I'll be rid of the Mac by the end of the week so I'll have a real computer very soon!!

Once thats done we'll be going ADSL or Broadband pretty soon.

Sprint
21-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Hey Campo - consider Telstra cable, esp if you already have Foxtel :idea:

Blade_954
21-03-2004, 11:34 AM
If dollars are not an issue, go for a Fortigate router (made by Fortinet) coupled with a D-Link DSL300 modem.
The router is around the $1000 mark but has a nice GUI interface and heaps of features and has built in anti-virus, firewall, etc.

goof
21-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Really thinking about going for iinet broadband.

Don't do it. They have very low customer satisfaction, at least amongst those that know what an ISP should be like. Have a look at www.westnet.com.au you won't regret it.

-Goof

Blade_954
21-03-2004, 11:41 AM
I second Westnet. Have no faults with them whatsoeva! - maybe because I have 14 accounts with them! lol :lol:

Melkor
21-03-2004, 02:03 PM
I'd agree that iinet's tech support is bad, but so is every other ISP that I've been with.

I would doubt the resus monkeys employed by westnet to do their tech support would be any better.

So support aside iinet has the best broadband plans in australia. iinet's blink 512+ is rated as the best account on whirlpool, I'd follow the popular opinion.

Check out whirlpool for some informed decision making...

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Nath
21-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Dude,

If you want a Netcomm 1300, I have one for sale i've tested these routers extensivly and found they work prety damn well.

PM Me if you're interested.

nicko_316
21-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Yep got the NetComm NB1300 and with Westnet.

Really good

Masda74
21-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Melkor. Why bad mouth Westnet? had a few bad happenings. i have been with them for a few months now and each time i had problems they would help out and sort things out. I may get a few emails from the abuse team, but hey they leave me alone.
They have changed the plans as well to allow more downloading. does iinet allow that much downloading? at the moment i think Westnet have 16gb peak 16gboff peak account for $79.95, can iinet match it?

I got a Netgear DM602 adsl modem. They are Great for normal users and they have a great gui and easy to setup. but when you start downloading heaps and use 3 different programs on 3 different machines, it does tend to freeze a bit,nothing too serious. Like once a week maybe.
I also got a MR814 adsl router/wireless router and it is great and it is as easy to setup as the dm602 modem, except for when the wireless freezes as well from to much d/l. :wink:
Right now i am considering getting a dreytek adsl modem/wireless ap/router because of the needs i have(work purpose). It supports VPN and has it's own VPN server built in. If anyone is interested on buying the Netgear stuff let me know.

FireStorm
21-03-2004, 09:45 PM
i run a D-link dsl-300 modem with a linux server with sofware routing and a 100mb switch.

probably gonna change it all in the next few weeks to a dsl rounter and do away with the switch.

Melkor
21-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Melkor. Why bad mouth Westnet? had a few bad happenings. i have been with them for a few months now and each time i had problems they would help out and sort things out. I may get a few emails from the abuse team, but hey they leave me alone.
They have changed the plans as well to allow more downloading. does iinet allow that much downloading? at the moment i think Westnet have 16gb peak 16gboff peak account for $79.95, can iinet match it?

I think you'll find it's Westnet that are trying to match iinet. I get 512/128 16G/16G for $69.95. However, if you re-read what I wrote I didn't badmouth westnet, i simply suggest people look at the whirlpool forums (regarded as the mouth of aussie broadband). There you will find iinet is rated as the best.

doorman
21-03-2004, 11:24 PM
So support aside iinet has the best broadband plans in australia. iinet's blink 512+ is rated as the best account on whirlpool, I'd follow the popular opinion.

iiNet certainly have cheap plans, and if you put your phone with them they will make it cheaper but as an ISP they suck. I have moved so many unhappy iiNet customer to Westnet and they are so much happier. It just works.

iiNet used to be the best but in the last few years they have lost it.

Anyone that has called Westnet support will tell you that they are second to none.

Forget telstra cable, its expensive and unreliable. I spent saturday working on a telstra connection that went down more often than a discount hooker.

In all honesty, forget Telstra as an ISP. I refuse to work on Telstra connections, the drama isn't worth the money. The only reason i work on the one on saturday is because of who the customer was.

Campo
22-03-2004, 07:17 AM
I've had iinet for dial up and they've been great so I'll see what they're like for ADSL, if they're crappy then I'll look at moving around elsewhere.

subdued
22-03-2004, 07:50 AM
I worked in ISP industry for couple years before i became a IT Admin, and it's all much of a muchness.. Go for Bang for Buck.

Honestly what tech issues are needed with broadband? you plug your phone line in and wow.. it works?

this is gonna sound dodgy but check out Arachnet, people under estimate them but they are really good and fast, they run on Telstra equip like everyone else (cept Swiftel/Request?) and pipe in thier own Data.

And they are good value for money

http://www.arach.net.au/products/broadband...ns/index2.shtml (http://www.arach.net.au/products/broadband/adsl/plans/index2.shtml)

doorman
22-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Choose your ISP carefully as you cannot change ISPs for 6 months once you're connected. YES this is even if you have a no contract, no plans, no deals account.

This is a Telstra rule and there is nothing you can do about it.

The ISP pays Telstra for the ADSL connection from you to them and Telstra says that its a minimum of 6 months.

When changing over it will also cost you $99 again and two weeks waiting unless the ISP is in the quick change over plan.

Campo, seriously spend the extra bucks and go Westnet, you won't be sorry....With iiNet all i can say is "good luck!"

Pete
22-03-2004, 10:50 AM
where is the extra expence in westnet. yep i checked them both last week and they is both the same price per month per speed per downloads. The only way iinet is cheaper if you sign your phone account over to them. and why would i do that. so far ppl tell me westnet is the best after sales service yep that is what i is after if i have a problem i dont want to be on hold for an hour waiting for a indian call centre dude to tell me what is wrong.

Melkor
22-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Subdued is also right that Arach offer pretty good deals. If I could be bothered churning they'd be an isp I'd look at. However, as iinet is heavily concerned with market share they will always be at the front of the pricing war, and cost is the most important thing to me.

So, yeah I'd have to agree with you all.

If you're no smarter that a resus monkey and need the tech support, go with Westnet.

If you're after the cheapest go with iinet.

As for connection speeds / downloads / bandwidth you'll find that they're all about the same...it's just too cutthroat not to be.

Chester
26-03-2004, 09:32 PM
The netcomm router series have some real problems, and the patches tend to break things if you go down that road.

Netgear is the best in my opinion, the stuff just works, interface is clean and efficient, good help screens right next to the configuration options, and their uptime is very good, not to mention the fact that they look sweet, kinda UFO'ish :)

I would definatelly recommend the Netgear stuff over most of the under $500 equipment.

Navada in Osborne Park have the Netgear DG834AU router for $191 retail at the moment. It has the ADSL modem built in, 4 port 100 meg switch, full VPN, SPI firewall (very efficient and effective firewall system), no fan, looks tasty, and works well (I have sold a few of them, not the least to my computer illiterate parents).

Anonymous
26-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Choose your ISP carefully as you cannot change ISPs for 6 months once you're connected. YES this is even if you have a no contract, no plans, no deals account.

This is a Telstra rule and there is nothing you can do about it.

The ISP pays Telstra for the ADSL connection from you to them and Telstra says that its a minimum of 6 months.

When changing over it will also cost you $99 again and two weeks waiting unless the ISP is in the quick change over plan.

Also a thing worth noting is that Telstra, being the scum-sucking evil niblet fucks that they are, offer a broadband plan to home users at LESS COST than what they charge wholesale to other ISPs.

Fuck Telstra, and fuck Ziggy.

http://www.gavincato.com/albums/Ziggy/aaq.jpg

oblivion
27-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Amcon have just broken into the home user ADSL market, which is handy if you live in applecross. Which no-one here probably does. $69 a month for 1500mbs, UNLIMITED. for the first 1000 subscribers only tho.. saw a printed ad for it at work. again, only available in applecross coz that's where their main dslam is apparently

Amcon are one of perths main fibre etc link providers for corporate customers, so they is alright.. :)

Klink
27-03-2004, 09:38 AM
I just purchased a Netgear FR114p router/firewall for my broadband connection. Its an awesome unit, and is a "true" firewall (for the geeky ones out there that means stateful packet inspection). I bought it for $180 delivered from http://i-tech.com.au.

Here is a picture:
http://www.netgear.com/images/products/large/fr114p.jpg

Campo
27-03-2004, 12:34 PM
I just purchased a Netgear FR114p router/firewall for my broadband connection. Its an awesome unit, and is a "true" firewall (for the geeky ones out there that means stateful packet inspection). I bought it for $180 delivered from http://i-tech.com.au.

Here is a picture:
http://www.netgear.com/images/products/large/fr114p.jpg

Oh very nice mate!! 2 weeks and counting before I get ADSL!!