PDA

View Full Version : Another rider down... but not out

elorian
10-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Just a quick message to say that I went down today on the country ride. Another rider went down as well, but I don't know the details about that. All I do know is that the other bike wasn't in very good shape, but the rider walked away (albeit with a limp).

As for me... I am ok. The doctor said that there was no dirt in my wounds, so basically I have got a few bad carpet burns and a very sore hip (well it will be soon).

As for what happened... Initially I fell behind due to some electrical probs. Once the bike started I was riding hard to try and catch up. I rounded one corner (the third last corner before I caught up to everyone I think) with a car parked just on the crest. I touched the front brakes and low-sided. Other than a lot of plastic damage, front brake lever missing and no right indicator, the bike came out ok. However I seem to recall that there was a largish rock that was dislodged (so the parked car driver said) so there could be a little more damage than I first thought, but that is something I will deal with tomorrow.

On a totally different note. On the way home (in the Motorcycle Mover truck) there was a pretty big accident scene. What it looked like was a car travelling at (very?) high speed decided to see if his/her car was stronger than a bridge support. It didn't look good at all.

Oh Hewie, I will be needing a new helmet. Mine has done its job a needs to be put into retirement... :(

Azza
10-04-2004, 04:55 PM
gee, that doesn't sound good, hope you guys don't get any serious injuries from it.

where was the car accident?

elorian
10-04-2004, 04:58 PM
No serious injuries on my behalf.

The car accident was on the freeway at Rowley Road (about 2'ish I think)

MoreHPLessKg
10-04-2004, 05:23 PM
The other one down on the country run was me, unfortunately.
Went a bit quick round a RH 50km/h corner (bout 90 - 100). From what i remember went out to wide and straight for the side. Hit the gravel in full lean. I rolled/slid about 50ish meters down the side of the road while my bike merrily plowed into a pole.
Bike is a total write-off, but fortunately I am not. Went to hospital for checkup and Xrays. No fractures but alot of bruising. I'm sore now, and will be more so tomorrow.
Oh well. Have to go see bank on Tuesday and get another bike!

BTW, Who needs draggins? I was wearing "Just Jeans" jeans and not even the slightest tear!

I'll post the pics soon.
See you all out there again soon.

elorian
10-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Glad to hear you are ok then, coz looking at your bike on the way back was kinda sickening.

Did you look at my jeans however. They were torn pretty badly.

MoreHPLessKg
10-04-2004, 05:37 PM
http://www.kieran.ctbhost.com/images/woops/000_0187.jpg
http://www.kieran.ctbhost.com/images/woops/000_0188.jpg
http://www.kieran.ctbhost.com/images/woops/000_0189.jpg
http://www.kieran.ctbhost.com/images/woops/000_0194.jpg
http://www.kieran.ctbhost.com/images/woops/Image1.jpg

BTW Thanks to all the guys out there for your support!

djnitrous
10-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Good things you both are "ok" sorry to see the GPX in a F%&ked up way, I'm sure all things will work out.

Keep it real bro

Azza
10-04-2004, 06:02 PM
gee man I hope you are fine..and no long term fuckups.

as for the gpx, yeah thats one folded gpx!

I had one of them, I was just not comfortable doing that shit on that bike.

I like your attitude though, thinking of new bike already. Good stuff. be better next time :)

dugy
10-04-2004, 06:42 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Farkin' 'ell guys.

Glad to hear ya's are ok and nothing broken. (well other than the bikes.)

I hope you both get back on 2-wheels soon.

Where was it? Not O'brian Rd?

Luke
10-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear guys, glad your all ok

shit, with the way these country runs are going maybe we should get the motorcycle mover to just follow as a support car in future, might save on call out fees! :shock:

hooter
10-04-2004, 06:44 PM
shit fellas. i recon someone must be out Sabotaging (sp?) bikes. how many have been down in the last four or five days? must be at least 5?

Gordo
10-04-2004, 07:13 PM
glad to hear your both ok, pitty about the bikes but I guess it's only money :roll:

Was it a case of inexperience or over exuberance ??

either way be carefull on those runs it's easy to get caught out....

Masda74
10-04-2004, 07:16 PM
man this past week and a half has been TERRIBLE. what in the hell is going on?
well i shall be out of action till after winter. maybe then i shall consider a bike. It's good to hear you okay. you looked pretty bad in the second foto without the shoe.
Hope all goes well mate and take it easy.

elorian
10-04-2004, 07:21 PM
glad to hear your both ok, pitty about the bikes but I guess it's only money :roll:

Was it a case of inexperience or over exuberance ??

either way be carefull on those runs it's easy to get caught out....

I think it was a case of inexperience for me... and as for the money bit, well I will have to work that one out later.

MoreHPLessKg
10-04-2004, 07:28 PM
No doubt it was a bit of both for me.

Had some real nice turns before the BAD one and just pushed it a little to hard for that specific corner, not knowing the roads well enough.

Bulbous
10-04-2004, 07:30 PM
good to hear the both of you are okay, the bikes can be replaced...... :D

gohan
10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
i hope you guys dont think im some c...h...d but i think this is getting ridiculous.i hate to say it but sooner or later someone is going to get killed.my cousin was killed in 96 on his ZZR11oo for inexperience on his bike.theres been a few other guys i used to ride with as well.2 are dead and a few are either limping permenantly or missing fingers etc or paralised.i think you guys need to take it easy and go learn how to ride at the track first.it will teach you not to brake in a corner,once you commit yourself to a corner,take it not back out at the last millisecond as you will come unstuck.please guys take it easy out there as im sick of seeing and hearing about someone else coming of.dont take this as some idiot dribbling shit on the forum.

bladebabe
10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
No fractures but alot of bruising. I'm sore now, and will be more so tomorrow.

BTW, Who needs draggins? I was wearing \"Just Jeans\" jeans and not even the slightest tear!

Glad to hear you are ok buddy no further damage than what I saw. :D Sorry to keep telling you to go to the hospital but, I've been there, done that, and after my experience I think it's the best thing to do.

Like I said this arvo, send a pic and email to Just Jeans and tell them that your jeans saved your legs, no tears.. I'm sure they would appreciate it. :D

Bulbous
10-04-2004, 08:48 PM
i hope you guys dont think im some c...h...d but i think this is getting ridiculous.i hate to say it but sooner or later someone is going to get killed.my cousin was killed in 96 on his ZZR11oo for inexperience on his bike.theres been a few other guys i used to ride with as well.2 are dead and a few are either limping permenantly or missing fingers etc or paralised.i think you guys need to take it easy and go learn how to ride at the track first.it will teach you not to brake in a corner,once you commit yourself to a corner,take it not back out at the last millisecond as you will come unstuck.please guys take it easy out there as im sick of seeing and hearing about someone else coming of.dont take this as some idiot dribbling shit on the forum.

nah mate, i agree, and the same goes for me too, should have taken more care in the conditions, i just didn't think that it would be so different in the space of thirty minutes, just a couple drops of water, and the road surface turns to a slick. i am lucky to be alive as i went down the oncoming lane of traffic, just happened to be a gap in the traffic at that point.

as for the jeans comment, i was only wearing shorts and i lost almost no skin at all, but i don't think i will be going down that path again anytime soon. the draggins are piece of mind like leathers, but cheaper. normal jeans don't have the same protection, you were just lucky like me not to get fucked up. :)

Cbr1k
10-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Geez guys, I'm away from the country rides a few times and you start crashing.

Maybe I need to get back out there sooner so ya'll have someone slow to follow ;)

But since I'm only a few weeks away from getting my licence back, i'll wait until then. Not that Ive ever ridden on a suspened licence of course!

Take it easy and don't follow the fast guys. Just follow the slow fat bastard.

And to MoreHPlessKg, you probably did my trick. You started running wide and instead of keeping your eyes on the inside of the turn you were looking towards to gravel and as they say you go where u look.

Chris
11-04-2004, 04:28 AM
Small suggestion that I would make is this:

When there are inexperienced/people who don't know the roads that are to be ridden (Esp. in the case of O'Briens etc), maybe rather than trying to all bunch in a single group it'd be best to actually split the groups. Experienced/knowledgable people in one group, inexperienced guys in the other - with one of the more turtle-training adept experienced guys in with them to make sure they don't get lost and know the things to look out for and where.

Only downside is that the slower group will rock up while group A is half-way through lunch (This often happens anyway), upside is that in theory less people/bikes will get chewed up and spat out trying to keep up - the instinct to do so is only natural after-all.

This way the inexperienced guys learn, the guys who want to fly around flat stick can without having to worry too much about the inexperienced riders in terms of them getting lost/left behind, or losing it in-front of them in a corner and causing a cluster-fuck type situation.

I think that would mean less guys having to dodge trees while watching their bike cartwheel into a hundred pieces, less money for Pete from MC Movers (The only other downside :roll:) and more fun to be had by all. Before too long the inexperienced guys can ride with group A, more newbies will join group B... Everyone wins.

Fact is not everyone is going to take the time to seriously hammer their skills in terms of trackdays etc, but from the community point of view country runs should be for everyone regardless.

Just my 2c.

Flame on.

8)

Maarken
11-04-2004, 08:55 AM
The thing is Everyone waits for everyone .... so there is no need to push yourself and catch up ..... U know know WarpSpeed will be waiting at the last turn for everyone 2 catch up ....

People just gotta learn to calm down and sit where they r comfy and also know the capabilities of their bike .....

But SERIOUSLY , Dont try and catch people take your time and enjoy the ride that's what country runs are for ... NOT who can get there the fastest ...

Stay Upright Guys ... See you out there soon MoreHPlessKG and Elorian ...

gpx_gal
11-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Im glad you guys are ok

From someone who ALWAYS plays catch up - definately slow it down, ppl will wait. When you are sitting back there its likely that you are unable to see much more of the pack than a few faint tail lights and you have to read the road yourself. This where inexperiance is a definate downfall and you have to be mindfull as it is easy to miss a patch of gravel or bumps in the road especially when you are more focused on fading tail lights rather than what is around you. Wait to a straight to gass it, rather than trying to take corners faster to catch up.

Remember your by yourself. If you end up in a ditch it may be a good 15 minutes before someone comes back to you and in the meantime anything can happen. I know I have more respect for someone who can slow it down, not be caught in the moment and arrive safely - albiet some time after everyone has gotten off their bikes and streatched their legs.

I know its easy to say and Ive had my fair share of stuff ups, but take it easy - there are waaaay too many people going down lately.

P.S Chris that is a great idea. There is sooo much to be learned from watching more experianced riders e.g. breaking points, road position etc. That is one of the problems of being left behind, you miss that stuff.

Edit: In case it was taken the wrong way, I am generalising and I pull myself up all the time

Ben250
11-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Glad to hear you guys are both ok.. that looks like a bad ass crash moreplesskg.

The one ride i went on with some war riders i think, also a couple of ppl from here i was playing catch up the whole time... I felt pretty stupid which is why i probably don't come on any rides now.. i know the feeling of wanting to catch up especially if u r on a 250. But as GPXGal said, people will wait for you. I think i will try to get to the next ride but make sure i bring my ubd so i can make my own way back without holding everyone up bahaha.. i need to take it at my own pace and learn some control before i start pushing it more.

erm.. sorry for babbling, I'm glad you guys are ok :) Bikes can be replaced, people cant! :D

Hewie
11-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Glad to hear that you are both OK. Im sorry to see your rides all busted up.

Elorian :- Now I know whose on that silver ZX2R I see around. Yeah mate we'll work out a new helmet for ya.

MoreHPlessKG :- Damn boy thats one nasty thing to do to a GPX :shock:

The main thing is you are ok .. as the guys said bikes can be replaced/fixed ..its only dollars.

Speaking on the playing catch up issue we have going. Elorian MoreHPlessKG this isnt directed at you!!

All I can say is guys PLEASE slow it down out there. There is no need to push it so hard just to catch the group. There is nothing wrong with falling behind a bit if it means you stay with in YOUR abilities and stay uprite.

Freak accidents can happen to any of us, but loosing it cause you were going to fast or reacted in the wrong way is as Gohan said just your inexperience talking.

To those who do race and ride (Ben Chookie Gohan Larry) would you guys consider having a learners ride day once a month or so just to help out the guys who are new to bikes. Nothing major. Just a run dedicated to the newer guys and gals following you and vice versa and some instruction at the stop points just to help out those who need it.

I know we are considering a lot of aspects here. I would put it to you that it would be run like any other ride that it is RIDER ONUS not on you guys.

I know that guys are welcome to come out with you at any stage, the problem is that on the "normal" rides you want to ride as hard as you choose ...and it is hard to follow your lines etc from the back of a 20 bike pack .. trust me :?

Anyway just my $5 worth.

MADMAX01
11-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Good to hear that you guys are all right.There is one thing on the country rides i've been on with warpy all the time is that he tells everyone where the dangers are on these roads, tell everyone to take it easy and the faster riders will be wait for them. There is a head check at ever stop. Thats how we know that there was a silver zx2 missing . And for the gpx going down there was one of the most experenced rides on contry roads i know behind him. Most of the time this is the case.

elorian
11-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Well there is a lesson learnt (well at least I hope I have anyway).

I woke up not any sorer than I was yesterday with only a few other sore spots, not a whole body like I expected. I still say my arm is hurts from the tetanus injection than anything else!!

So everything is good.

oblivion
11-04-2004, 12:56 PM
i'd recommend to people who haven't done any rider training beyond what was required for getting their licence do an alert roadcraft day.

They teach ya the theory behind country riding, best practices, bit of skills training etc, take ya to a go-kart track to practice some of the stuff you've just learned, then take you on a country ride up to toodjay, and back through obriens. you get individual attention where an instructor will ride behind you for a while, let you know what you're doing wrong, what can be better etc.

you're sure to learn something from it at least, plus thjere's a nice lunch waitin for ya at toodjay :).

look em up if ya interested: alert motorcycles, ring em up and ask when the next roadcraft day is. Maybe if there's enough interest on the forum someone can organise to go as a group.

elorian
11-04-2004, 01:09 PM
i'd recommend to people who haven't done any rider training beyond what was required for getting their licence do an alert roadcraft day.

Funnily enough I was booked to go in the next one on the 25th. I have had to cancel it now as I am sure I won't be able to afford it.

Bulbous
11-04-2004, 01:10 PM
that's a good idea oblivion, should easily be able to get a group together just off the forum who would enjoy that. i have been riding for the last six years and there is still a lot i could learn, and i don't think i wil ever learn everything, but this is the way to do it. learn your motorcycle, learn about yourself, and your country riding just gets more fun. :D :D

Boxhead
11-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Glad to hear u guys are doin ok, although a bit soarer than yesterday morning.

There are many opinions going around at the moment on what is/has been going on with riders going down and such and my personal opinion is the group 'A' and 'B' thing is not the way to go but thats only my opinion.

I do think however that Gohan is on the right track and if anyone on this forum has seen how he rides then we all know he is not just dribbling shit so take head of what the man says, that goes for Calvin also.

Definately just an inexperience thing with the boys on the weekend and what can u do, just cant jump on a bike and ride like u have been riding for 5 years ya know what I'm saying but just one thing.........when u see one of those yellow precautionary sign for a conrner.....it means SLOW DOWN. Not necessarily to the posted speed because we all know on a bike that is VERY slow, but it does mean that the approaching bend is tighter than the last 4 u just took so it will require some reductin in your riding pace.

Here's to quick healing guys 8)

Ace
11-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Respects and sympathies to all those who lost or dinged their babies over the last week.

gohan
11-04-2004, 06:18 PM

Definately just an inexperience thing with the boys on the weekend and what can u do, just cant jump on a bike and ride like u have been riding for 5 years ya know what I'm saying but just one thing.........when u see one of those yellow precautionary sign for a conrner.....it means SLOW DOWN. Not necessarily to the posted speed because we all know on a bike that is VERY slow, but it does mean that the approaching bend is tighter than the last 4 u just took so it will require some reductin in your riding pace.
)
what i learnt about a year ago at a racecraft course was(IF YOU THINK YOUR GOING TO FAST WHEN YOU,VE COMMITED YOURSELF TO A CORNER,TAKE IT,DONT BACK OUT)i know this sounds crazy or stupid but its worked for me everytime.you will be surprised at the speed your bike can take in a turn,not you as you will be shittng yourself.but you need to get it set in your mind that you are going to take that corner and will be fine.if you have any hesitations you will stack it.if you look at all the accidents that have happened recently,90% have been from the bike standing up in a corner going wide.all i can say is if you get yourself in a situation where your going to fast for a corner,just get your ass of the seat and pull the bike in and it will take that turn.when you came out of it ,you will be pumped and shocked at what youve just done.ride safe guys :D

Gordo
11-04-2004, 07:53 PM
lots of good advice over the last 3 pages guys,Please read the posts and absorb them coz you only get one life and you can fuck it up very easilly.

enough said :roll:

doorman
11-04-2004, 09:42 PM
I could go on for hours about this stuff. I went on a country ride about 3 weeks ago and all I can say is:

Slow the hell down!

I was going fast and the pack was well ahead of me for all but one leg of the ride. I saw overtaking on the left, blind corners, hills, etc.

PE is getting a bad reputation for crashes, its time that something was done about it.

If you more experienced guys want to ride hard, how about a sealed section for your rides and making it invitation only to that section? Let people proove their abilities on normal speed rides before they get to go out at high speed.

Warpie does a great job of making sure that everyone is safe, explaining the roads, the usual hazards, etc. If you all slowed down a bit it would be a nice country ride.

elorian
12-04-2004, 12:05 AM
This is the last thing I will say on this topic, because quite frankly I am starting to get annoyed with it.

I have said that I am an inexperienced rider (not a stupid one). The speeds that I was travelling at were not in my mind what I called excessive.

However the condition of the road that was travelled would be what I consider to be quite poor. If all country rides travel on roads of that condition then I am afraid that the ride on Saturday will be my last one, because quite frankly (in my 'inexperience') I consider them to be a risk.

And no this is not an attempt to lay blame on other people, because the fault was totally mine. Ultimately it was my decisions that made or broke the day (in my case broke), not anyone elses.

What I consider to be the main point of this post is that two people went down and got away with relatively few injuries. We were both lucky. Both of us should have learned a little more of there limits on a bike now.

If other people need to be aware such circumstances then surely that is the deserving of another topic.

Now that is my 2 cents worth!

gohan
12-04-2004, 03:15 AM
This is the last thing I will say on this topic, because quite frankly I am starting to get annoyed with it.

I have said that I am an inexperienced rider (not a stupid one). The speeds that I was travelling at were not in my mind what I called excessive.

!

well im not blaming you or calling you stupid,im just sick of all the accidents that have been happening.if you dont know what i do,im the one that fixs the bikes and paints them after tha accident.since i,ve been on the forum i,ve done 6 bikes and i,ve been posting for about 5 months.i think that says it all.i just dont like what i,ve been seeing the last few months.anyway i will shut up now :roll: good luck to you all :shock:

Maarken
12-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Fuck it .... LISTEN TO WHAT IM SAYING ....

It is not a question of the country runs being to fast ... It is the point of the individual rider to know their capabilities and slow the fuk down if they aint experienced enough to handle such speeds on such roads, for they know that warpie and the boys that do go nuts will be waiting for them at the end of the road .....

But elorian is right about that perticular road it is SHIT ..... We dont always take that one though Elorian ...

Cheers .... :D :D :D

Gonz1
12-04-2004, 08:32 AM
all im gonna say is....I WASNT THERE :wink:

Sorry to hear bout the carnage on the weekend, but as most would know i had developed a complex about country rides so i dont feel the erge to go anymore(shame i know!)but i couldnt bare to see another rider go down, and it seemed that when i didnt go, the ride was casualty free and when i would finaly decide to come along again someone would spear in, anyways boys n girls, keep the cool and stay upright, and dont be a holiday stat aight :shock:

bladebabe
12-04-2004, 10:45 AM
I would just like to say to Elorian and MoreHPlesskg, well done boys :)

You both came along and even though you went down, neither of you blamed the roads. You both admitted it was your own fault immediately, and stayed in high spirits.
That gets my respect. :!:

I was only pillion and I didn't like some of the roads, needless to say what I would have said if I was riding....

Keep those chins up guys and hopefully see you out REALLY soon.. :D

Anonymous
12-04-2004, 04:15 PM

It is not a question of the country runs being to fast ... It is the point of the individual rider to know their capabilities and slow the fuk down if they aint experienced enough to handle such speeds on such roads, for they know that warpie and the boys that do go nuts will be waiting for them at the end of the road .....

But elorian is right about that perticular road it is SHIT ..... We dont always take that one though Elorian ...

The two things, Maarken, are not mutually exclusive. You can't say "the country runs are not too fast!" on one hand and then "it is up to the individual riders.." on the other, it doesn't work that way.

If people are crashing consistently (and they are) then the runs are too fast, `nuff said. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, whether it's riders catching up when they shouldn't or not - accidents don't exist in a vacum, and people have to look at the bigger picture to try and work out why they keep happening.

Chris
12-04-2004, 04:24 PM

The two things, Maarken, are not mutually exclusive. You can't say "the country runs are not too fast!" on one hand and then "it is up to the individual riders.." on the other, it doesn't work that way.

If people are crashing consistently (and they are) then the runs are too fast, `nuff said. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, whether it's riders catching up when they shouldn't or not - accidents don't exist in a vacum, and people have to look at the bigger picture to try and work out why they keep happening.

...and personally I don't see taking the, "It's nothing to do with anyone but the individual!" approach is going to solve shit. I think as a community we should stop watching people get fucked up on these runs and then retrospectively sermonising about how people should be more experienced one way or another and actually actively take a hand in training people ON THE RIDE.

As for being anti group A and B, it happens ANYWAY, my suggestion just means that it is deliberate and structured. There is an experienced guy taking time to teach people on the runs. By that I don't mean screaming off 4 k's ahead, stopping and then saying, "Watch out for the dead roo back there, and there might be a bit of gravel up ahead..." I mean follow the guys on the 250's etc, give them pointers on braking and turning - stuff that matters in the city as well as out bush. I think it'd be better for everyone.

Anyways, just my opinion.

8)

Ace
12-04-2004, 11:36 PM
An interesting read everyone thanks.

Its good to see everyone has an input to the topic.....

See you at the track

Peace

(don't mind me just whoring it up :D )

ChOOkiE
13-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your stacks fellas. All you can really do is learn as much as possible from this! Everyone has had some pretty good input and as Danny stated, I think Gohan is pretty much spot on with his comments. At this rate, there won't be many more people out there on bikes to have accidents.. keep safe!