PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite piece of Classical music?

mastrmage
16-04-2004, 02:10 PM
I know, weird question.. but for those of you that are into classical pieces I'm interested to know your fav's, there's just so much to listen to and most you have to listen to a few times before you really like them.

If anyone cares for my taste;

Brahms - Hungarian March/Dance
Beethoven's whole Moonlight Sonata from Piano Sonata No. 14, and Fur Elise of course
Mozart's The Magic Flute, Aria of Night Tsarin, Papageno's Aria, Papageno and Papagena's Duet
Leo Delibes - Waltz from Coppelia
Tchaikovsky - March from Nutcracker Suite, Dance of the Cygnets
Strauss - The Blue Danube waltz
Edvard Grieg - Morning

Cheers, just trying to expand my horizons! :)

Bulbous
16-04-2004, 02:12 PM
you're doing this for a chick, right? :D

my favourite piece of classical music would have to be ...........
Apple Shampoo, by Blink 182...... :lol:

KrissyH4
16-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Id prefer no classical. Im with Bul tho. Like Blink to bad they cancelled on us at Rock-it GRRR

mastrmage
16-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Haha sounds like me but no actually! I like classical music.. I've been playing classical guitar for around 10 years now, and studied TEE music in school so I've been brought up with it. To a lot of people it's alien, and just sounds old and "nothing" but it's got depth and real meaning unlike most modern day music.

You should get yourself a compilation disc of different composers, you can pick them up for $5 for a full CD.. Stick it on as you jump into bed or something, I dont listen to it in my car.. different moods call for different sorts of music to me, I cant understand how people stick to one genre. Really, I mean everyone gets into a bit of metal, pop, rock, dance etc and lets face it, who can avoid top 40 *shudder*. Classical was forgotten about by the majority by the 1950's, it's a shame.

Pete
16-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Beethoven's whole Moonlight Sonata from Piano Sonata No. 14,

yep not bad this one makes me speed. I prefer solo piano and violin. muchly muchly

Bulbous
16-04-2004, 02:52 PM
mas, i am basically punk and metal through and through, although i don't mind a bit of classical in the background, just not too loud...... :lol: i need something to bounce around to, and then my singing isn't too shabby compared to the recording :D

mastrmage
16-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Haha going off the bad singing theory, you should get into some Aussie hiphop then, anyone's singing/whigga-rapping is as good as the recording :lol:

Gonzo
16-04-2004, 03:23 PM
ummm

megadeath - symphony of destruction no.1

sounds kinda classic... kinda...

mastrmage
16-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Metallica's Nothing Else Matters, begins with a classical style introduction. I wonder if they did play that with a plectrum or with fingernails.. anyway stop hijacking my classical thread with metal, punk, and gypsy techno crap :)

Gonzo
16-04-2004, 03:30 PM
this thread is the best thing i've ever read on this forum... ever.

Anonymous
16-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (by a country mile)
Bach - Pachebel's Canon
Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez
Barber - Adagio for Strings

ChOOkiE
16-04-2004, 04:00 PM
hahaha gonzo

Hewie
16-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Depends .. how classical ?

Im rather fond of Adagio for Strings

Guitar that is classical in structure ..

Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen

The Mighty Turtle Head is a great piece of music ...and so is Time Machine.

mastrmage
16-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Hewie, Ygnwie is pretty talented, agreed, but I've never known Joe Satriani to be classical? *thinks how to Always With Me Always With You* I guess he does have classical influence in some of his songs.. touche.

What the heck is The Mighty Turtle Head and Time Machine, who are the composers? Sounds like modern classical stuff? One of the only new age composers I like is the Khazakstanian, Slava Grigoryan he has a very very clean and neat style.

Cheers pete, and ta 9, I'll check Barber and Rodrigo out - I haven't knowingly heard either of them

Hewie
16-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Hewie, Ygnwie is pretty talented, agreed, but I've never known Joe Satriani to be classical? *thinks how to Always With Me Always With You* I guess he does have classical influence in some of his songs.. touche.

What the heck is The Mighty Turtle Head and Time Machine, who are the composers? Sounds like modern classical stuff? One of the only new age composers I like is the Khazakstanian, Slava Grigoryan he has a very very clean and neat style.

Cheers pete, and ta 9, I'll check Barber and Rodrigo out - I haven't knowingly heard either of them

Time Machine and Mighty Turtle head are both by Satriani. They encompass alot of finger picking, hammer pulls and slides etc. You need to listen to them a few times.

Yngwie...is a fantatsic talent .. some of his early work has a very strong classical influence.

As for Barbers - Adagio for strings - It is the piece of music from Platoon that was "remixed" (blah) about 3 years ago.

Trt here.

http://www.modern-strings.de/sound/barber.htm

If you like that one try Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor.

Gonzo
16-04-2004, 06:09 PM
The Mighty Turtle Head is a great piece of music ...and so is Time Machine.

BWAHAHAHAAHAH after a curry i tell ya mate... the turtle head be pokin out is very mighty!!!!

now u lot are all talkin like yer a bunch of fancy rich fags....
oh very well.... im with this turtle head guy all the way....

Melkor
16-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Back - Goldburg Variations.
Prokofiev - Classical Symphony and Overture / Peter and the Wulf.
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons.
Albinoni - Adagio for strings.
Saint-Seans - Carnival of the Animals.

I too am a ex-classical music student year 12.

Maarken
17-04-2004, 05:11 PM
BeethOven ....

:)

He rocks ....

Wightbear
17-04-2004, 05:58 PM
My music tastes are pretty eclectic, ranging from Mozart to Metallica, guess I just like stuff I can play loud, set the volume to 11 and let rip!

Bach - Toccatas
Widor - Organ Symphonies
Boyce - Symphonies 1-8 (for those quieter moments!)
Tchaikovsky - 1812 overture
Handel - Messiah
Metallica - S&M :D
Mozart and Rossini operas
and not forgetting PDQ Bach (If you appreciate classical music and you've never heard this stuff - get in touch!!! - Seriously!)

my 2c worth

Taz
17-04-2004, 07:35 PM
pachebels canon

TRX
17-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Ravel - Bolero
Tchaikovsky - 1812 overture
Wagner - ride of the valkyries
Holst - Mars, the bringer of war
Vivaldi - the four seasons (winter)
Albinoni - Adagio for strings.

Magenta Tiger
18-04-2004, 09:51 PM
---

Bulbous
18-04-2004, 11:19 PM
BeethOven ....

:)

He rocks ....

thats just cause you like the big fluffy dog....... and david duchovny..... :lol: :lol:

Fenris
19-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Classical? Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground :twisted:

Flakey
19-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Most of the classics, and some latest stuff fi the tune is descent, and the singer (if there is one) doesn't sound like a cat being dragged through a barbed wire fence... :D

mastrmage
20-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Nice work guys, it's good to know Classical music hasn't diminished quite as much as I thought it had.

Gonzo, expand your horizons dude! Your missus aint gonna like it when you try seduce her with Sepultura, and if she does.. god help you man. :lol:

And lets not forget Mason Williams' Classical Gas. SO much fun to play! It's one of the best, yet least recognised pieces of music from the late 60's, damn hippies.

subdued
20-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Ride of the Valkyries Composed by Richard Wagner :lol: :lol:

Gonzo
20-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Gonzo, expand your horizons dude! Your missus aint gonna like it when you try seduce her with Sepultura, and if she does.. god help you man. :lol:

so what? u listen to classical music to seduce chicks?? oooookay thennnn....
so u make urself seem more sophisticated and stuff.... and pretend to like it??

god help you man. :lol:

Magenta Tiger
20-04-2004, 03:24 PM
---

Deza
20-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Id prefer no classical. Im with Bul tho. Like Blink to bad they cancelled on us at Rock-it GRRR

i reckon it was a hox they probly wernt ever coming and the $20 bar tickets deffinetly did not make up for losing the main act :evil: :evil: