View Full Version : Honda Strategizes To Take Lead

PrestigeCBR
22-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Found this artical (aus-superbikes.com)

Not a bad read 8)

Honda Strategizes To Take Lead

From Honda Racing
Honda Preview British Grand Prix, July 23, 24, 25, 2004
Max Biaggi (Camel Honda RC211V) goes into this the ninth round of the 16-race World Championship off the back of a convincing win in Germany last weekend. The Italian ace is now just one point behind reigning World Champion Valnetino Rossi (Yamaha) as these fierce rivals take the fight to Donington Park.

Rossi sits on 139 points to Biaggi's 138 with Spanish contender Sete Gibernau (Telefonica Movistar Honda RC211V) on 126 after he failed to score in Germany when he crashed on lap eight at the Sachsenring. But he has scored two wins already this season and is more than capable of re-establishing himself in the title reckoning.

As the halfway point of the season has been reached it looks as if the riders adrift of the three title leaders have too much to do to get back on terms but this season still looks as if there a few more twists and turns still to come. And although Alex Barros (Repsol Honda RC211V) on 79 points, Colin Edwards (Telefonica Movistar Honda RC211V) on 75 and Nicky Hayden (Repsol Honda RC211V) on 70 look too far away from the leaders they still can't be ruled out.

Donington usually provides an eventful race and with the track completely resurfaced for 2004, better grip should see lap records destroyed in all classes provided the unreliable British weather doesn't conspire to provide wet conditions.

A great many riders have a great deal of affection for Donington Park. It's a track that rewards riders who relish fast, open, sweeping turns. And even if the slightly stilted Melbourne Loop section of the track spoils the rhythm and flow, it still provides drama as riders endure three bouts of heavy braking towards the end of a lap.

But it's the dramatic downhill Craner Curves that are the high point of a Donington lap. This section of the track requires bravery and inch-perfect commitment to a line and if a rider struggles to come to terms with these turns, a fast lap is but a distant hope.

There have been some spectacular crashes at Craner over the years which have wrecked both bikes and rider confidence. And this year with average speeds getting higher and higher, this section of the track will be more spectacular then ever.

Donington demands two main machine characteristics that are hard to provide simultaneously. Stability on the brakes and quick turn-in is required for the Esses and Melbourne Loop sections while perfect high-speed manners are needed for the other parts of this 4.023km track.

Some riders opt for stability in the knowledge that a fast lap time will be dictated by speed over the flowing first three-quarters of the track, others prefer to have a bike set up to perform well under braking where places can be won and lost on the final three turns. Good acceleration is also vital while top speed is less of an issue than at other tracks.

Max has won here twice on a 250 and once last year on his RC211V, although that was after Rossi had been awarded a ten-second penalty for overtaking under a yellow flag. "We're now in the second half of the season," he said. "It will be very hard-fought so we'll just keep our feet on the ground and continue to work as hard as we have been doing. The bike is improving all the time and the relationships within the team are unbeatable at the moment."

Sete is putting his Sachsenring experience behind him and concentrating on performing well, "I like this tack because it is very demanding," he said. "There are a lot of slopes, strong braking points, a slow part, a faster one and continuous ups and downs. Due to the characteristics of the track it is fundamental to find the perfect compromise with the bike. It cannot be to perfect for any one area but it must be well balanced for the entire track."

Alex Barros said, "The bike has been getting better all year and at the Sachsenring we got near to getting the right result. The new exhaust made a real difference and Germany was the first race where I was able to ride hard all race and challenge for a win. At Donington it will be important to qualify well and ride with the leaders from the start. And although the points gap to the top three is big there are still lots of points available with eight races to go.

Hayden is upbeat and raring to get racing again. "It's always the way that when you have a bad race you want to get back on the bike and get things sorted, and if you have a good race you want to carry on the momentum. Donington can't come soon enough for me because we're making real progress and we have to keep the pressure up before we break for summer."

This race is a chance for Colin Edwards to recapture form. "I have nice memories of Donington," he said. "I know this track well as I won some Superbike races here. I like the track and it has all the charm of a historic circuit. Also I can't ignore the fact that everyone here speaks English, so I can talk to anyone, and this makes it almost feel like a home race for me."

And Makoto Tamada (Camel Honda RC211V) riding on Bridgestone tyres is typically positive about his second visit to Donington. "We'll do what we have to do to be on the pace as early as possible," he said. "I'm ready to put everything into this weekend as usual."

In the 250cc class Danny Pedrosa (Telefonica Movistar Junior Team RS250RW) heads Randy de Puniet (Aprilia) by 25 points after a resounding win in Germany last weekend. He has 155 points after three wins and five second places and will be keen to press home his advantage here in Britian.

Danny said, "This year they've re-laid the track so we'll see how the tyres perform and whether there is more or less grip. We have the holidays afterwards and I would like to leave with the best possible taste in my mouth. Hopefully everything goes as well as it did in Germany, a circuit where I had never previously had a good result but we ended that run. I don't want to arrive at Donington thinking about what happened last year, but think about all the good work we are doing this year and get the best possible result."

Hiroshi Aoyama (Telefonica Movistar Junior Team Honda RS250RW) visits Donington after a fine fourth at the Sachsenring and although this will be his first visit to the track, he has every right to be confident as the weekend approaches.

"Donington is similar to Sachsenring in that there are ups and downs, as well as a slow and a fast section," he said. "After the good result in Germany I'm looking forward to doing well here. I ended the last race really happy because as well as the progress we made over the course of the weekend, I was able to ride with more experienced riders and I felt comfortable with them."

Roberto Rolfo is ready to ride and said, "The Donington Park track has a very flowing nature, you can find a good rhythm and can make up places by using slightly different lines if you are racing in a group, not like the Sachsenring. The only place I might have problems is the last part of the circuit which is too tight and we will need to get the bike to steer into the corners better than it did at the Sachsenring."

In the hard-fought 125cc class Andrea Dovizioso (Team Scot Honda RS125R) leads the title race from Roberto Locatelli (Aprilia). Dovizioso has 138 points to Locatelli's 131 while Hector Barbera (Aprilia) is right on their tails with 129.

Said Dovizioso, "I really like racing at Donington Park, I prefer the long sweeping corners of Donington much more than tight tracks like Sachsenring. Last weekend I lost ground in the Championship and I need a podium finish on Sunday to find my momentum again."

BRING IT ON :twisted:

FireStorm
22-07-2004, 11:06 PM
ok i have a large problem with this article that stops me from reading the rest of it. its in the first paragraph and it reads :

"Max Biaggi ......... The Italian ace"

it should read :

"Max i have an excuse for everytime rossi beats me Biaggi ........... The Italian bullshit artist"

i so want to read the rest of this article but..... cant.... get ..... past.... first.... paragraph... lies......

PrestigeCBR
23-07-2004, 12:05 PM
ok i have a large problem with this article that stops me from reading the rest of it. its in the first paragraph and it reads :

"Max Biaggi ......... The Italian ace"

it should read :

"Max i have an excuse for everytime rossi beats me Biaggi ........... The Italian bullshit artist"

i so want to read the rest of this article but..... cant.... get ..... past.... first.... paragraph... lies......

:shock: hahahaha

Yea he is a F#@*ing tosser, but he can still ride (no were as good as Rossi) 8)