PDA

View Full Version : BACK FROM THE ISLAND

gohan
20-10-2004, 03:42 PM
hey all,just got back this morning from phillip island.what a trip it was.pretty good weather,awesome track and honda chicky babes :lol:
i had 3 races on the weekend which i only did 2 of.
quailyfing was a joke as i had 25 minutes to suss the track out with slicks on.it rained 2 minutes before i went on to the track and took the gamble of it drying out(it didnt)myself and around 10 other riders decided to ride anyway dispite doing the circuit at a pace of around 2.10-2.35 :shock: the guys with full wets were getting around at around the 1.48.s.i then had a dry qualifying(25 miutes)which made me realise theres more to bike preperation than you think .i could not get under 154,s as the bike felt like it was going to buck me off,and by that i mean throw me onto one of the tyre barriers :twisted: i had andy offa have a fiddle with the bike which made it better but not right.in race one i got lapped by krusty and giles in the last lap.at this stage i was just hanging in there.in race 2 i got down to 152,s but still couldnt sort the bike out.i then retired and conceded defeat.
advice to any racers who are contemplating riding against australias best,GET YOU BIKE SORTED OUT BEFORE YOU GO TO THE ISLAND

and by the way,the track is super fast,290km,s down the straight and drop down a gear to take turn 1,this is without bracking just full throttle :shock: absolutely aswesome.a couple of times it felt like i was going to get blown of the bike :lol:

i will be there next year but will be more prepared and have the right suspension to do it.

Tex
20-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Well done Leroy !! good to see you get in there and have a shot at it.

I supose with only one track to race at we don't get the experience of setting a bike up at all different tracks :( hopefully when Bunbury comes online it may help the situation a bit.

I'm already looking a going over next year to do the Stars of Tomorrow weekend, which is only C and D grade riders for both the Sat and Sun. I'd invite you , but i don't think you're going to be a C grade rider at the end of next year !

Campo
20-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Nice work Leroy, really good to see you had a great time. Just getting there and riding the track would've been an awesome experience!!

Bulbous
20-10-2004, 05:12 PM
congrats dude, ya had fun though? would have been a blast :D

MoreHPLessKg
20-10-2004, 05:31 PM
mmm Honda chicky babes :twisted:

Too bad about the setup. Always next year... plus if you need a pit bitch I reckon I'll be at Phillip Island around the same time for some reason next year. :wink: Be only too happy to help out.

Gordo
20-10-2004, 06:07 PM
well Leroy you know what the problem was with set up dont you ??

You never had your number one pit bitch to tell when it was lolly time :lol:

Seriously though glad you had a great time, although we had a scare here when you never finished your race.

I'll pop round sometime for a catch up.

Boxhead
20-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Well the bike looked great and you where out there given it your best shot mate so put it down to experience gather all the info you can for the weekend and go out and just hammer it next year both here and interstate.

Good work mate, glad to see it wasnt due to any other problem that you didnt finish race 2 when we where wondering where you went 8)

zipdrive
20-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Well done!

PrestigeCBR
20-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Well done Leroy, like I told ya on the phone "at least your there giving it a go, have fun" 8)

You had me worried with the DNF, glad to hear that it was your call and not the bikes.
I'll be there next year with ya :twisted:

Kneedown
20-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey Leroy

Good stuff mate. Glad to hear you had a good time and riding PI on the same weekend as the MotoGP would have to be an awesome experience.

I too was a bit worried when I saw the DNF in race and was wondering if one of those bloody Vic seagulls didn't mistake you for a chip!! :lol:

Damn, I wish I was there! :cry:

Here's one for the album off mcnews

http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleRacing2004/Motogp/rnd15_island/gallery_f/images/1C5U2665.jpg

Cheers

MoreHPLessKg
20-10-2004, 11:25 PM
nice photo!

djnitrous
21-10-2004, 12:11 AM
ORSM shot from The Island. Why don't we have a track like that here!
I See you sent the bike over via Express Post :P

QATAR 6
21-10-2004, 03:02 AM
welcome back it's very early morning to gave u a call 8)

hokoyo
21-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Well done Leroy, must have been an awesome experieince.

Turn 1 must be petrifyng!

PrestigeCBR
21-10-2004, 08:48 AM
We might be lucky when the Bunbury track is completed :lol: But we will have to wait and see. It might be too expensive to hire.

Deej
21-10-2004, 09:32 AM
WTG Leroy, would have been a great experiance.

Ace
21-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Congrates just for going over there and competing Leroy, that would have been an orsm experience. So whats with the Australia Post stickers? You new sponser :?: :?:

Tex
21-10-2004, 11:59 AM
I think you'll find that that Australia Post were sponsors of the race, not the individual. Here in WA we have race/club sponsors whoses advertising we run on the bike. It's not something we have a choice about.
In the national rounds you have to run the AMCN stickers and also the Shell stickers regardless of what oil you use.
Its just recognition to those companies who provide assistance to the sport as a whole. :D

Taz
21-10-2004, 07:04 PM
top shot of you leroy just being there for the big race must have been an experience but riding there in front of the crowds would be good as well.

all lessons are good lessons if they are remembered and put to future use.