PDA

View Full Version : Used Bobcat??

Deej
30-03-2009, 01:07 AM
For those in machinery know....where would I go in Perth, or where would I look online in WA, for used machinery like a bobcat and/or those small digger things that you often see councils dig roads up with.

Basically I am after a bargain as the thing wont get much use. I just want to use it on a hobby property I have down south that I have a few “projects” I wana do. It would be handy to have.

=Stevo=
30-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm guessing you are looking for a skid-steer loader or a mini-excavator?
The loader would be better, but if its a hobby property and cheap is your main concern then I would seriously look at just getting a tractor loader...

There are plenty going around, they are simple and easy to use and can be used for other towing/farm duties as well!

Deej
30-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Skid-steer... so THATS what they are called! Make it easier to find now. Ta.

Nah tractor is not what Im after. I like to get things done quick. SkidSteer/Bobcat is the answer.

robocop
30-03-2009, 02:03 AM
Ross's Auctions usually have plenty going ranging from new to antiquidated

delete_me_kthxbai
30-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Bill's Machinery on Gnangara Rd.
Its the place with the Vampire up on a pole.

edit - he seems to be flogging stock in a hurry now, think his lease might be up.

speed3
30-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I know a few bobcat operators so I'll look around for you.

JaR6d
30-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Try to find out where BHP sell their old stuff, we just bought 6 new skid steers and have sent the old ones back down to Perth to be auctioned off.

They'll be flogged as, so should be cheap :-)

Goofy
30-03-2009, 08:30 AM
I thought you worked in Building Deej...

Ross Auctions
Grays Online Auctions

Sean'o
30-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Try Westrac, we have second hand trade ins, Cat skid steers, usually some bobcats, mini excavators etc. I cant think of the name of the guy that deals with the smaller used equipment at the moment, just call
9377 9444, they should be able to put you through to someone that can help you out. Machines like that can be bloody expensive to repair if you get a dodgy one so buying through a dealer and paying a little more will let you be able to test it and have it checked out, may even come with some warranty.

shmoo
30-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Used Machinery - Welcome to Bill's Machinery - Used Machinery Dealers (http://www.billsmachinery.com.au/details.php?id=11768)

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/33940/Used-Bobcat--/11768.jpg

Mizer
30-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Deej

I would not buy anything from Bills IMO.

I work in machinery game and am actually looking for a skid steer for myself also, same reasons as you.

PM me and I can keep an eye out for you also. If you’re not in a super hurry we trade some good cheap units from time to time

Vagabond
30-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Smith & Broughton have an auction coming up on the 2nd of April at their Wangara Yard

Smith Broughton & Sons [Auctions] END OF CONTRACT CLEARANCE AUCTION ONSITE MILUC CIVIL WANGARA WA - 2/04/2009*10:00:00AM (http://www.smithbroughton.com.au/listing.asp?a=80)

Viper
30-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Cat :)

Sumfun4me
30-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Deej,

Smith & Broughton's are your best bet. If you go through a dealer they'll want to maintain some sort of margin & they've probably been over-traded anyway (making them too expensive). I run a workshop where we repair these things, so I'd be happy to offer some advice on things to watch out for between different brands, and what sort of price you should be paying. PM me if you wanna follow up.

Deej
30-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Brilliant. Thanks for all the info, will work thru the various links tonight.

Flamedance
30-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Have a mate who does lots of deals with councils and such - Will ask him if he knows of any *cough*ex council stock *cough* that needs a new home :D

Viper
30-03-2009, 02:43 PM
worthwhile trying dealers at the moment ... its very hard to sell a machine so they are willing to take a lot lower than normal.

Deej
30-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Deej,

Smith & Broughton's are your best bet. If you go through a dealer they'll want to maintain some sort of margin & they've probably been over-traded anyway (making them too expensive). I run a workshop where we repair these things, so I'd be happy to offer some advice on things to watch out for between different brands, and what sort of price you should be paying. PM me if you wanna follow up.

Thanks dude.

So, Petrol or Diesal? And what would be considered reasonable hours for these things?

Cbr1k
30-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Deej,

The company I work for sells these. Is this big enough?

Gotta have the best toys :D

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/33978/Used-Bobcat--/oandkrh400.jpg

Desmo
30-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Diesal are generally the go. And be careful buying second hand, these things cop an absolute hiding.
Operators buy them on HP, and by the time they are paid off and being traded in on a new one they tend to be pretty shagged.

chance
30-03-2009, 07:39 PM
We just off loaded a few pieces of machinery.

On skid steers watch for play in the lifting rams, if they creap down with no load then your gunna be up for some cash to repair / replace.

Excavator turntables get worn and and can continue to slew once your release the controls.

Or you could try this :)

Caterpillar - Australia: Home (http://australia.cat.com/catforalltrades/)

T-Rex
30-03-2009, 08:11 PM
We just off loaded a few pieces of machinery.

On skid steers watch for play in the lifting rams, if they creap down with no load then your gunna be up for some cash to repair / replace.

Excavator turntables get worn and and can continue to slew once your release the controls.

Or you could try this :)

Caterpillar - Australia: Home (http://australia.cat.com/catforalltrades/)

Who won last weeks "Jack of all trades"?

Flamedance
31-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Deej - Spoke to my mate and he will make a few calls tomorrow (Tuesday). There are a few good ones around at the moment going for fair prices apparently.

Fastgirl
31-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Diesel, low hours...not ex council(flogged like shit) dont go for to old either...will end up costing more in the long run.....even only used occasionally on the farm if you buy something to old...you break a drive chain and there's a $1000 and being isolated down there the likelyhood of getting parts and getting it repaired quickley would be zero to none.

We're about to buy one as well Deej...if I find some decent ones...your looking around the $20k upward mark. Will keep you posted. Will even give you lessons up at our place if ya need it....show ya how to wheelie one :D

Viper
31-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Our lowest one for sale at the moment is 18K. Was around 25K but just trying to get rid of any machines at the moment.

Sumfun4me
31-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Definitely Diesel Deej. I'd suggest a Case 1840 for reliability & good parts pricing / availability (you can find a lot of parts through local aftermarket suppliers, as these were one of the biggest selling skidsteers of all times). Bobcat aren't too bad, but I always found them to be an ass to work on & parts pricing was pretty horrific sometimes. You should be able to find a decent machine for around the $18k mark (this is pretty much what you'd expect to pay for an average condition machine with about 10,000 hrs on it). Obviously the more hours & more delapidated it is, the price should go down accordingly.

Viper
31-03-2009, 09:27 PM
10,000 hours ... fuck that ... could get one with heaps less hours at the moment. plenty around with 2-3K on the clock.

Sumfun4me
01-04-2009, 04:36 PM
No doubt you could find a used skiddy with only 2-3k on the clock, but I seriously doubt that your going to find one around the $18k mark. A low houred Case XT series unit will generally run you over the $30k mark. The Cats & Bobcats are fetching mid 30's plus.