chance
07-04-2009, 05:10 PM
What an awesome weekend

850 HP
410 CI
Methanol injected
1 Gear
180 kmh sideways into corners

Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=84559&id=614011306&saved)

Sprint
07-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Speedway?
(Sprint Car)

S.

chance
07-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Yahuh, reward for pit crew work halfway through the season so far :D

Teedo
07-04-2009, 05:35 PM
mmmm i love sprintcars :D

Ferris
07-04-2009, 05:37 PM
It's orse innit? You feel like a dog with two dicks after, dunno which one to lick first, eh? :D

JAFA
07-04-2009, 05:47 PM
MORE STORY!!!! Sprintcars rule. You lucky bastard, soooooo jealous.

Pics of said car too please if possible, stills or action, not fussy.

The Maths / Physics workshop manager at the University of Auckland ( I used to work there ) is the cheif mechanic for NZ's biggest sprintcar team. They run 4 Maxims, all the latest gear from the 'States, brand new engines every season, the works. There is some pretty trick gear on the cars considering they go round in circles on dirt. The cars are pretty much exactly the same spec as World of Outlaws. 4 times past NZ Sprintcar champ Kerry Jones drives for them, as does the current NZ champ ( forget his name ). Every summer Joey Saldana and Craig " the crowd pleaser" Dolansky ( World of Outlaws ) come down and run the Christmas / New Year events in NZ. Those guys are unbelievable!! So professional and soooooo fast!!!

chance
07-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Does the link to my facebook not work, theres loads of pics there.

Story

Well we took the bus, an old leyland panther decked out like a caravan, 80 kmh up to Pithara on Sat morning for the racing sat night. Ian Woods and Mark Miller, pictured car drove like they were on rails, throwing their cars into each corner at about 180kmh

One car ended up on its roof and a few spun. Woodsy also known as Dizzy Stands, for those who have been to Kwinana and Bunbury to watch, did his traditional dough-nuts. The car is sent into a spin on the spot and by the time it comes to a halt Woodsy has almost blacked out and cant work out the sky to the ground to left to right.

*If someone can help link the video I can post that also*

The sunday morning was dirt go-carts and sprintcar drives for the pit crew as a thankyou for the season so far. Climbing into the car I had nerves of steel, the push car shunted me from behind and then the adreline kicks in. Push car starts me moving and I have to remember the start sequence, in gear, pressure to 60, turn fuel tap and hit the missle switch, firing the car to life. The smell of methanol comes into the car and into my helmet and then is idle onto the back straight and the last thing said was dont be a lead foot for the first few laps.

The cars dont like going slow and are like driving a road train with no power steering.

They idle at about 2500 which propels the car around at about 50 kmh. Looking through a slot about the size of your letter box and the engine noise makes it feel a lot quicker.

A slight touch of the pedal raises the revs to about 4700 and before you know it the car is out of bend 2 and into bend 3. At full tilt they rev at 8200 to 8500.

The top drivers basically count 1 and 2 and 3 then turn, 4 and 5 and 6 then turn again, laps are over in about 13 seconds :O

Each laps works out to about 2.5 litres of fuel.

The weekend caused about 800 pics to be taken, loads of beer consumed and a home grown fireworks display to envy skyworks.

Off to do it all again in about 8 weeks time, the wait is going to seem like forever but so so so worth it.

Dan

shmoo
07-04-2009, 06:56 PM
I think links to facepage only work if the person clicking on the link is also a member.

I had no idea sprint cars were only 1 gear. They are so cool, always loved watching them.

Mr_FJ
07-04-2009, 08:50 PM
850hp ???

I didn't think they had that much hp ?

Supercharged1600
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
850hp ???

I didn't think they had that much hp ?

mmmm 383c v8 - methanol - revved to 8500rpm peak power ~7200rpm

383ci = 6283cc (appx)

so 110Nm/L which is generally a good max specific torque for any NA engine
gives 6.283L x 110Nm = 691Nm peak torque (say around 6300rpm)

assume about 85% tourque is available at peak engine power rpm
0.85 x 691 = 587Nm
where 587Nm = 440lb.ft

and P = T x RPM / 5252
P = 440 x 7200 / 5252
= 605hp

this i would say is a conservaive real world peak engine power produced by this sort of engine. Having said that an engine that needs an idle of 2500rpm generally has Tp colser to RPMp so lets re-evalute this to peak torque at 7000rpm (and engine power peak chane only slightly).

so 691@7000rpm and 85% of that at 7600rpm
so...
0.85 x 691 = 587Nm
then
P= 440lb.ft x 7600 / 5252
= 636hp

summised i'ld be more inclined to believe peak powers of around the 650/700hp MAX.

but yeah always wanted to see one of these bad boys run up on an engine dyno - crazzzzyyy stuff.

(edit: not too sure if they were "only" 6.3l v8s - this could throw the whole thing out of wack...)

likefry
08-04-2009, 05:58 PM
ah he said in the first post it is 410 cubic inch

chance
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Maxwill racing engine in the car.

I have a super high res image now on face book. Same motor but in the spare car.

Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=84559&id=614011306&saved#/photo.php?pid=2058883&id=614011306)

850hp is what I was told. Even if it was a lot less it still is way to much for me to plant my foot to the floor....yet :D

Speed Demon
08-04-2009, 06:22 PM
What number
what team

JAFA
08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
They are not even really one gear, they are either driving or not, there is no gearbox as such as they are straight drive. They change the gearing by changing the crown wheel and pinion in the diff ( quick change diffs ). They are also a spool drive rear end ( one axle from wheel to wheel, like a go kart ). When you see the crew push the cars out onto the track, they are obviously out of gear as the rear wheels are turning and the engine is not running. Often when they stop the car on the track and wait for the pusher vehicle to come, you will see the crew gently rock the car back and forth, so the driver can get it into gear. Then when the pusher vehicle comes and starts pushing the car, the rear wheels are locked because the engine is not running and the wheels skid initially. As the pusher goes faster the rear wheels will start to turn and they turn the engine which starts to build up oil pressure. When the oil pressure is high enough, the driver will turn on the fuel pump ( electric ) and then turn on the ignition and the engine will fire, the driver will give it a bit of accelerator and off he goes. That is why when they spin during the race the cars stall and cannot rejoin the race without a push again. The wieght saving of having no stater motor and associated flywheel, decent sized battery etc is worth it. They run a total loss electrical system ( at least the top guys do in NZ ).

One reason ( but by no means the only one ) most race engines ( and motorbike engines to a certain degree ) idle quite fast is because they have very light flywheels and very small clutches. Without a big heavy flywheel and clutch there is no inertia to keep the engine turning at low revs ( under say 1000rpm ), and it will stall, so they wind the idle speed up to ~2000rpm or more. Sprintcars have no flywheel or clutch at all, which is why they need to idle fast. My race car is the same, it has to idle at 1500rpm as it has a very light flywheel, and a 7 1/4" clutch instead of the standard 10 1/2" clutch. Apparently a Formula 1 clutch is the size of a closed fist. It is only used to get the car moving from standstill, and then is dead weight, so it only has to last a handful of takeoffs from the startline and the pits, not thousands of gear changes and traffic lights etc.

Back to Sprintcars, things got out of hand some years ago in the 'States, and the top guys with massive budgets were bringing 4 and 5 engines to a meeting. They would have a qualifying engine which was built to run only 10 laps flat out. They were running them with no water, taking out the radiator etc to save weight. Then they had a couple of engines for heats / prelims etc, and another engine for the feature race ( the one that pays the bills :D ). They changed the rules somehow to put an end to that ( minimum weight I think ).

One day the workshop manager had a few brand new Rodek engine blocks ( all alloy race blocks ) that the then NZ Champion ( Allan Wakeling ) wanted him to machine all over the outside of the block to thin it down to save weight!!

[QUOTE (edit: not too sure if they were "only" 6.3l v8s - this could throw the whole thing out of wack...)[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah sorry but they are 410ci ( 6.6129 litres ). Recalc needed :D

850hp is on the higher end of the scale. 750 - 800hp no worries and very common, top guys may be up around 850, but also probably need more rebuilds, and more often = more $$$ to run a season.

PS: I only have a slight passing interest in Sprintcars, really.... :lol:

chance
08-04-2009, 06:41 PM
W16 - Ian Woods - Woods Racing Team

W2 - Mark Miller - Texanne racing

JAFA
08-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Maxwill racing engine in the car.

I have a super high res image now on face book. Same motor but in the spare car.

Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=84559&id=614011306&saved#/photo.php?pid=2058883&id=614011306)

850hp is what I was told. Even if it was a lot less it still is way to much for me to plant my foot to the floor....yet :D

Must have email address and password to login to see pics :(

chance
08-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Ya need to have a facebook account I think.

Simonpink
08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Photobucket is your friend.

HotelBushranger
08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Moarrr pics!

chance
09-04-2009, 05:26 AM
Moarrr pics!

Work is quite for a change so might have a little time to try out photobucket and add some moarrr pics.