PDA

View Full Version : Nascar

Semi
07-04-2009, 08:28 PM
What's your opinions of NASCAR? Im watching a race now, and I've seen a few, and really, its not too shabby. Wide tracks= lots of overtaking, and the way it works means they're probably in the corners harder than equal level circuit racing-( my theory- 2 easy corners= pushing right to the edge, plenty of crashes, bumps etc)

Who cares that they're simple carb fed pushrod motors, keeps the costs low and allows more teams, giving more depth.

Oh and if you're gonna say 'they go round in circles, hurr hurr'- STFU

Squash
07-04-2009, 08:30 PM
what channel is this on? some of the crashes are epic

Munnerz
07-04-2009, 08:31 PM
its on the new channel 10 hd. one hd i think it is?

Semi
07-04-2009, 08:32 PM
yeah, one hd. My new favourite channel.

Revelations
07-04-2009, 08:33 PM
nothing wrong with pushrod....Gen 3's are pushrod

Desmo
07-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Wait until they have to race on a track with more than 2 corners.
Hilarity ensues.

07-04-2009, 08:34 PM
^^^ one

the best racing is on daytona and talledaga. these tracks are so fast all cars are limited to like 200mphish, because they never lift of the throttle, the result? 3/4 wide racing at 200mph for like hundreds of miles. very sick!!!

the smaller tracks are not as good as the power of differing cars effects the accel out of corners hence the field spreads

Desmo
nothing wrong with pushrod....Gen 3's are pushrod
lol

Semi
Thats great fun too, but yeah, not their forte. It'd be like a drag racer going oval track racing, they'd be shithouse.

Squash
07-04-2009, 08:39 PM
YouTube - NASCAR wrecks

Desmo
07-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Damn, the second crash was brutal!
See what I mean about them not being able to drive/negotiate corners?

Squash
07-04-2009, 08:44 PM
lol

Semi
07-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Nah, my theory is that easier corners= pushingharder, hence more crashes.
Unless that vid is a circuit, i didnt watch coz im shaped.

Mr_FJ
07-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I saw a race last season that was a circuit in Canada (not an oval) and Marcus Ambrose left them for dead. Showed his true colours in this format that he now drives.
Pitty everyone else was so shit cos every time someone came off they had the pace car out and they all caught up again.

Barfridge
07-04-2009, 08:49 PM
It's not as fun since they added the flaps on the roof at the back, to stop them taking off when facing backwards. You don't get half the fun you used to see... refer that video from Squash

Revelations
07-04-2009, 08:53 PM
lol

oh you hush i miss my SS :(

Nascar doesnt do it for me although the crashes are spectacular....they tend to get airborne quite easy it seems....hows ambrose doing over there these days against the yanks?

edit: seems he must be doing ok!

Semi
07-04-2009, 08:55 PM
He won a race, when everyone ran out of fuel :lol:

Desmo
Sorry mate, then Gen III is just an old lump of iron 40's tech pushrod V8 with some electronics strapped onto it.
It's a dinosaur of a motor and should really die it's death.

Nero Diablo
Its one of those motorsports that I'm sure takes a lot of skill and effort to do.. let alone do it well. But as Spectator I'm with the 12th man on this one, There're going round and round and round its so F@#king boring. Don't worry its not just NASCAR I have the same opinion of speedway and drag racing, V8 supertaxis are only one step behind.

Squash
07-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry mate, then Gen III is just an old lump of iron 40's tech pushrod V8 with some electronics strapped onto it.
It's a dinosaur of a motor and should really die it's death.

so tru i guess holden wanted to save some money and sourced an old motor from chev, not being biased or anything but at least ford went to the quadcan mustang engine

Revelations
07-04-2009, 09:08 PM
ahhh this is all true, yet Fords boss motor is actually a design just as old. Pushrods may be seen as old hat, yet the Boss motor has been unable to touch the gen 3 (now the 6litres etc) on the street. It is cheaper and easier to extract more power from an ls1, ls2 etc. than fords equivelant V8.

Desmo
07-04-2009, 09:09 PM
And it's cheaper still to produce more horsepower from smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient motors.

Semi
07-04-2009, 09:09 PM
It has been 'superseded,' by the LS2 and the L98, but they're still pushrod engines, i believe.
PS, there were a few early alloy LS1s, and i think they were all alloy headed. Not that it matters.

Revelations
07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
And it's cheaper still to produce more horsepower from smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient motors.

such as?

Squash
07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
it not really about how much power u can make its mainly pwr to weight like the ariel atom 245hp from a s/c honda engine and is only really a big go cart
http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/34996/Nascar/ariel_atom_3.jpg

Desmo
07-04-2009, 09:20 PM
such as?
just about any Jap OHC motor.

Revelations
07-04-2009, 09:25 PM
dont be fooled by how much $$ a jap car will cost you in getting it to run as quick as a plain ol commodore with a cam/tune/exhaust and diff gear ratio change totalling about 6-7k....you would be pouring buckets of coin to get a jap screamer to go as quick as this and I bet you it wouldnt last long.

Barfridge
07-04-2009, 09:34 PM
This thread is not going to degenerate into a ricer vs bogan argument. We're here to talk NASCAR!

Rhinosaur
07-04-2009, 09:37 PM
NASCAR rocks.

NoDs
07-04-2009, 09:52 PM
heres a nascar crash...

YouTube - Biggest NASCAR Crash of all time - Daytona 1960

Revelations
07-04-2009, 09:56 PM
37 cars totalled, damn lol...

even the old school cars flew

Squash
07-04-2009, 09:59 PM
yea at least the safety has gotten heaps better since then

Squash
07-04-2009, 10:27 PM
back on the topic of nascar, what happens mostly after those crashes
YouTube - Nascar Fights
another good vid
YouTube - NASCAR Fights, Finishes, and Follies

Barfridge
07-04-2009, 10:49 PM
NASCAR people.

The next person to drag this thread off topc gets it closed

Speed Demon
08-04-2009, 06:21 AM
One track holds 500,000 people so it cant be all that bad

Cbr1k
08-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Nascar is about old outdated technology that refuses to change.

Typical NASCAR fan.

http://www.saw-marketing.com/halloween/images/H08-NickCig.jpg

resist
08-04-2009, 06:50 AM
ahhh this is all true, yet Fords boss motor is actually a design just as old. Pushrods may be seen as old hat, yet the Boss motor has been unable to touch the gen 3 (now the 6litres etc) on the street. It is cheaper and easier to extract more power from an ls1, ls2 etc. than fords equivelant V8.

*cough* bullshit *cough*

GM uses far higher capacity engines (W427 anyone?) to pump out big power figures, Ford just dont bother going to 7 litres just for 75 extra kilowatts.

For the record, I'm a big van of V8 Supercar racing and a moderate fan of NASCAR, I dont even mind that Australian and American V8's are tired, old engines using outdated technology, I love all internal combustion engines and will genuinely weep the day the last one is made.

I understand peoples desire to defend these engines, after all, its still pretty cool stuff, but there is no need to bullshit about it.

A quick case study:
Statement: "oh its ancient technology and its big and stupid and has pushrods"
Incorrect Response: "no way man, its all new, and cheap and easy and just great technology" (this response is horseshit)
Correct Response: "Who cares? It hurts my ears, stirs my blood and goes faster than my pushbike, so I still love it!" (this answer is honest)

Nero Diablo
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
heres a nascar crash...

YouTube - Biggest NASCAR Crash of all time - Daytona 1960 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEN2ABcuK8)

Here is the other thing I don't like about NASCAR/SuperTaxi's speedway. You'll be in the stands with the majority of the mouth breathing oxygen thiefs that are there to see a accident dunno I'm odd I like to see racing. Prefere to stand in the forrest and see a car go round a corner once than bother with that metality.

Flyboy
08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm quite a fan of NASCAR due to its technical nature. Such small things can win or lose you the race. Like how much 100MPH tape you put over the radiator inlet. Too little and you create too much drag to keep up with the lead cars out of the draft. Too much and you cook the engine.

Also, as the cars are built to the same spec (supposedly), it falls to the driver and their pitting strategies to help them win.

And I think NASCAR does do a couple of races on racetracks during the season, not just the ovaltracks. I seem to recall Watkins Glen as one of the tracks they used to use, but I may be wrong.

But its Sprintcars that are the best to watch.^_^

fossil
08-04-2009, 11:58 AM
NASCAR is better than nocar.
I will watch any motorsport over biggest dance loser brother whatever

richie_b
08-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Wait until they have to race on a track with more than 2 corners.
Hilarity ensues.

Marcos ambrose won that one :) . The flip side is if you are use to corners you don't do well on the ring circuits.

I used to think NASCAR was shit, but my house mate is into it and now I've learnt a bit I really like it. The One HD stuff has been really cool.

thro
08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
its good.

the rules specify some low tech requirements, but that doesn't mean they're low-tech cars.

within the rules, there is a lot of money spent on them in R&D.

the racing is *CLOSE* too, more often than not it comes down to a last lap drafting effort...

Vagabond
08-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I used to think it was crap & that there wasnt that much involved in going round in circles but after watching it when there wasnt anything else on i've gotten into it and record it every week.
The crowds they pull over thre are absoluteley phenomenal & the prize money is huge as well.

Duffman
08-04-2009, 05:01 PM
GPS- "in 300m turn left, and then immediately left followed by the first left"

Something I never got into, but Im not totally sure why.
Possibly something to do with that shit movie "Taledaga Nights"

Speed Demon
08-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Turn left at end of straight
Toyotas (lexus v8) winning alot of races lately
All racing is technical

Simonpink
08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
what channel is this on? some of the crashes are epic
Not as epic as they were before they stopped them flying in a crash.

Para045
10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
I have always been a fan since I saw my 1st Daytona 500 when I was a kid B) To some it may seem boring but to be able to run at 200+mph and draft another car with less than a metre gap going 3 wide in the Tri-Oval at somewhere like Daytona or Talladega is just mind blowing :o

As said the basic design of the engines may be old but they spend big $$ to get just 1 or 2 extra HP out of the engines and to get the best aerodynamics :confused:
I am rapt now that 10HD has started showing it as for years we were lucky to get maybe Daytona shown at 2am on a weekday morning or some highlights of a crash during the race BUT no results :mad:

Not sure about the fact they have gone to a generic "one size fits all body package" with just different paintwork but I guess it does make for extremely close racing and V8 Supercar is going more that way, the only real difference between the Falcon and Dunnydore now is the engine and bodywork and even the bodywork on them isn't exactly like a street car :(