PDA

View Full Version : Perth - living in the Dark Ages?

Daise
19-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Is Perth behind with the times? Do you prefer the way it is at the moment, or do you think WA needs to catch up a bit?

Barfridge
19-06-2009, 12:27 AM
completely backwards, and peversely proud of it

wannabee
19-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Alot of WA for Change...............................Western Australian Politicians and Typical TT watching WA'ians

:shablon_02: ............................................ :censored:

mekon
19-06-2009, 12:44 AM
It really needs to catch up, especially the metro areas and CBD as far as modern design and architecture goes. Trading hours etc all living in the 70's. A poorly conceived transport system, would have been better to keep the old tram network.

Leave rural areas, love getting away to remote places. Just FFS Perth keep up with the rest of the modern world.

Melchior
19-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Trading hours and LAMS. That is all. I don't want DLS or robots to wipe my ass.

Crashlington
19-06-2009, 05:15 AM
trading hours to 7 on weeknights and midday on sunday.

Thats about it really.

Oh and some new leaders with new ideas. not the same old stuff that just gets recycled.

Dont like it, move.

speed3
19-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Bit of both I suppose. There are some things I'd like to see change (trading hours and better infrastructure & transport system) but I like how laid back Perth is.

Sprint
19-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Dont like it, move.

This.
The biggest drawback to Perth is the influx of whingers...

S.

Charger
19-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Yep, I'm backwards and proud of it. Why this constant incessant whingeing that we have to become like everyone else.

Xuaxace
19-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Way to backward IMO.

Cbr1k
19-06-2009, 06:45 AM
http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/45309/Perth---living-in-the-Dark-Ages-/UrbanHillbilly.png

MuNch
19-06-2009, 07:01 AM
How you gunna pay for sheet if you dun haf no moneys bro

we gotta support the largest state with buggerall people

Xuaxace
19-06-2009, 07:02 AM

Just out of curiosity...

How many of the people who say ''we are retarded and backward but I love it'' has lived in a more foward city recently. I'm not talking being there for a holiday, also 20 years ago might not count.

Any opinions why the perth backwardness is so ''charming''?

Just want to make sure people who say the previous comment actually have had a benchmark to compare perth to, otherwise those opinions have no substance.

jme
19-06-2009, 07:03 AM
oh daise,
you have become a whinging pom already.... lol
hehehehehehehe

Rhino
19-06-2009, 07:36 AM
oh daise, you have become a troll ....

Griff
19-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Is Perth behind with the times? Do you prefer the way it is at the moment, or do you think WA needs to catch up a bit?

I generally think that we continue to be a small city with a restricted budget and not much bravery - but I am always wary of this sort of question...

Daise (as source of query), who would you have us catch-up to? and at what life-style, social, economic costs?

It is really easy to knock (not saying you are Daise), it is less easy to solve... I have lived out in the world and all the places I have lived have lovely, ordinary, & crap elements in different proportions...

thro
19-06-2009, 08:27 AM
can of worms is now open....

WA needs to get with the program, but I'm talking about important shit like:
- trading hours
- designing a transport system slightly more useful than the ball sack on a neutered puppy
- getting rid of the "he's on 2 wheels! burn him!" attitude of the lawmakers here

NOT irrelevant shit like the colour of the flag, ferris wheels on riverside drive, DLS, etc.

chew
19-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Definately backward, we at the very least need more ghettos and gangs to increase our street cred. I live nearly inner city and havent been robbed, mugged or molested for at least ten years! Lift your game Perth, dont dare to be different, tow the line.

Satan1
19-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Perth is so far ahead of it's time our parents haven't met yet.

Pierogi
19-06-2009, 08:49 AM
i moved to Perth 5 months ago from over east, and i love every minute im here. You whingers need to go live somewhere like Melb and Sydney and i promise, you will be back.

Love Perth. Dont love it, leave.

Aphex
19-06-2009, 09:05 AM
i moved to Perth 5 months ago from over east, and i love every minute im here. You whingers need to go live somewhere like Melb and Sydney and i promise, you will be back.

Love Perth. Dont love it, leave.

Ahh the voice of reason.

It's easy to look at other cities as new and exciting. Human nature dictates we all get use to and take for granted what we have, which admittedly isn't a great deal but still. Look at the other side of the coin, peak hour in Perth -v- Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane... I know what I'd rather.

Things are different here. We are the single most isolated majour city in the world after all.

Maxo
19-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm looking at plenty of escape plans, but I accept Perth for what it is: a good place to bring up kids and retire.

oh and Daise.... :D troll

digz
19-06-2009, 09:15 AM
i dont really know any different but i have been to most other capital cities and i just hate the whole rush. i don't even know my way round perth CBD because i choice to never go there

Wilson
19-06-2009, 09:20 AM
- trading hours
- designing a transport system slightly more useful than the ball sack on a neutered puppy
- getting rid of the "he's on 2 wheels! burn him!" attitude of the lawmakers here

NOT irrelevant shit like the colour of the flag, ferris wheels on riverside drive, DLS, etc.

Seriously. Deal with the fucking issues that affect our day to day lives.

Dont like it, move.
I plan to. I've had my fill of having to starve or buy rancid meat at premium prices because I had an all day commitment on Saturday. I've had my fill of witch burners making draconian traffic laws that persecute people who know how to drive/ride but do nothing to the morons out there who are a danger to everyone else because they can't fucking drive. I've had my fill fighting through the crowd of the bajillion other people who are forced to do their shopping on Saturday milling along like they're fucking cattle out for a graze.

Perth has so much going for it, but fuck me they've managed to make a meal of it.

jules_1972
19-06-2009, 09:28 AM
WA can certainly use a larger % of the revenue generated to be
put back into the infrastructure..

Roads, Schools, Hospitals, Roads, promote energy efficient homes with rebates,
Roads, trading hours, Fuel Bowsers that accept CCard, Roads...

I work with many European's and they all seem to have the same thoughts on Perth.
Was advanced 15 years ago, progress seems to have stopped.

Pierogi
19-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Ahh the voice of reason.

It's easy to look at other cities as new and exciting. Human nature dictates we all get use to and take for granted what we have, which admittedly isn't a great deal but still. Look at the other side of the coin, peak hour in Perth -v- Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane... I know what I'd rather.

Things are different here. We are the single most isolated majour city in the world after all.

Got it in one.

If you want longer shopping hours, go east. We have IGAs open 7 days til late, if you cant do your shopping in those hours, you need help with your schedule.

Perth has everything. What more do you want?

Maxo
19-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Perth has everything. What more do you want?hmm

A decent night life,
Better roads,
Better pubic transport,
Less middleman grabbing my money when I buy stuff,
The ability to road trip out of the city to another or thereabouts,
blah blah
more stuff and better stuff.

It isn't terrible here, far from it, it just doesn't have enough.
Just my opinion.

digz
19-06-2009, 09:43 AM
WA has the best roads in Australia

merctom
19-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Better roads,

I see you haven't been on sydney highways.

Barfridge
19-06-2009, 09:44 AM
WA has the best roads in Australia

You've obviously never been to Tassie.

Professor Redfern
19-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I think they should do some simple stuff.

Why not have a small wildlife park in Kings park?

Why cant the tourists just go up there to see some of Australias wonderful creatures.

Yes I know we have a Zoo, but some people only want to see Australian stuff.

Seems like a better idea than a Ferris wheel.

Maxo
19-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I see you haven't been on sydney highways.

Did I fucking say "roads like Sydney" or "the best roads in Australia"? no.

In my opinion (read that very carefully) and I'm not talking just about the quality, I've ridden on better roads in the world.

Pierogi
19-06-2009, 09:51 AM
hmm

A decent night life,
Better roads,
Better pubic transport,
Less middleman grabbing my money when I buy stuff,
The ability to road trip out of the city to another or thereabouts,
blah blah
more stuff and better stuff.

It isn't terrible here, far from it, it just doesn't have enough.
Just my opinion.

Its far from terrible, but its horses for courses.

I have a young family, and we are building in Canning Vale. We were sick of the pace of the east, as well as the road systems and volumes of traffic. Work would have taken me 45 minutes at 730am. Here im on the Roe Hwy, off at Orrong and in my office within 15 minutes.

Public transport and roads? Perth is reknown to have the best road system anywhere in the country.

I guess if you are looking for nightlife etc, the east coast may be the way. In my opinion, the pros outway the cons.

Uncle Flash
19-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I came here years ago for the different lifestyle. If I didn't like it, I would have moved somewhere that has a little more 'urgency' about it. The UK lifestyle sucked but I did like France very much.

When in Rome... Or fuck off home.

shmoo
19-06-2009, 10:07 AM
^^^^ THIS. A million times this.

You have absolutely hit the nail on the head mate. Its this strange mentality of "sure we might not have this or that but were happy about that". Its as if people think that the things Perth is missing is what makes us special.

Personally, I dont subscribe to that train of thought. I look at Perth from my background in property and town planning and I just shake my head. I'm not the only one either. No question, a large part of the problem is bureaucracy in this city but an even bigger part is the people not wanting change. Virtually everyone just gives up, because nothing every gets done here.

There is a total lack of city pride and that hurts us hugely. Perth is the capital city of the largest state in the country. The CBD has to be the focus of that. We need people living in the city, but why would people want to move in there when there is nothing there? We need cafes on the terrace footpaths, we need small bars, we need galleries, we need theatre productions etc etc etc.

The train line should be sunk from Claisebrook all the way to West Leederville. All in one hit. Just bloody do it. A large part of the cost could be funded immediately through the selling off of the land above it. Northbridge is suddenly part of the CBD. Tram lines up Beaufort St, along Stirling Hwy, Scarborough Beach Rd, Hay St and along Rokeby Rd.

Extend trading hours. If people can shop, they will hang around the city longer. The city will be more vibrant. More people will live in the CBD.

We need to get some truly world class stuff into the CBD. WA is the mining state. Take advantage of that. There should be a "Centre for Mining Education" or something like that, right in the CBD. But not like what we've got now. It should be THE best mining education on offer anywhere in the world. People should want to come to Perth because they know its the best education they can get. Hell, we've got BHP and all the big guys here, surely this could happen.

There are so many things that are quintessentially "WA" and we need to take those things to the world and really attract people to come to Perth. Beaches, water, sports, mining, the list is almost endless.

Look at my signature. The key is NOT to try and make Perth like another city. The key is to make Perth the attraction.

rebel250
19-06-2009, 10:09 AM
YouTube - TVW7 Seven Perth "Love you Perth" ident

Some people might be mistaken and think this clip is current cuz how backwards Perth is, but this sums it up for me. :wub: Perth

digz
19-06-2009, 10:18 AM
You've obviously never been to Tassie.

everyone knows Tassie isn't really part of Australia

Also,

wtf is with that piece of shit faris wheel? i rode past it last night for the first time after the learner cruise and was shocked at its pure shithouseness. 2(belltower) of the most pointless pieces of architecture on the planet side by side

Cbr1k
19-06-2009, 10:22 AM
I'd just be happy if Perth had a "Turn left at Red Light after giving way " rule like every other state in in Australia has embraced.

But we all knowthe drivers wouldn't be capable of comprehending such a rule.

KichigaiNeko
19-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Seriously. Deal with the fucking issues that affect our day to day lives.

I plan to. I've had my fill of having to starve or buy rancid meat at premium prices because I had an all day commitment on Saturday. I've had my fill of witch burners making draconian traffic laws that persecute people who know how to drive/ride but do nothing to the morons out there who are a danger to everyone else because they can't fucking drive. I've had my fill fighting through the crowd of the bajillion other people who are forced to do their shopping on Saturday milling along like they're fucking cattle out for a graze.

Perth has so much going for it, but fuck me they've managed to make a meal of it.

Sums it up for me....

The vacant 'cattle' mentality still leaves me in culture shock. Decayed relics making laws that keep all under the thumb.

Woe be to he / she who is alive and happy to express it....again vacant bovine expressions.

Perth had the best but it seems to have stopped dead. The only area where it seems to be progressing is Medical science.

Perth is just a small country town...very much like Bega NSW, or Dubbo. pity really...

The whingers only whinge because Perth could be so much more. Yes it is a great place to bring up 'the kid' but then again so is a uterus for a foetus

Wilson
19-06-2009, 10:33 AM
:awesome:
wSs

Barfridge
19-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Its far from terrible, but its horses for courses.

I have a young family, and we are building in Canning Vale. We were sick of the pace of the east, as well as the road systems and volumes of traffic. Work would have taken me 45 minutes at 730am. Here im on the Roe Hwy, off at Orrong and in my office within 15 minutes.

Public transport and roads? Perth is reknown to have the best road system anywhere in the country.

I guess if you are looking for nightlife etc, the east coast may be the way. In my opinion, the pros outway the cons.

My 2 main beefs with Perth roads (apart from the retards driving on them):
- major arterial roads like Tonkin Hwy with a set of traffic lights every 500m. They should have been designed and built with cloverleaf interchanges.
- Reid Hwy between Erindale Rd and the Freeway. This one little goat track sums up the lack of forethought and planning that is WA. A very busy road, well designed roads all around, then right in the middle is a tiny stretch on 60km/h limited single lane road, causing a giant bottleneck. Why is it there? Why the fuck hasn't anything been done about it?

Of course it all costs too much...(bullshit, not when it's done right the first time).

Rider
19-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I think we are alright World's Most Livable Cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Most_Livable_Cities)

I guess it all deapands on what you after.

digz
19-06-2009, 10:53 AM
- major arterial roads like Tonkin Hwy with a set of traffic lights every 500m. They should have been designed and built with cloverleaf interchanges.
- Reid Hwy between Erindale Rd and the Freeway. This one little goat track sums up the lack of forethought and planning that is WA. A very busy road, well designed roads all around, then right in the middle is a tiny stretch on 60km/h limited single lane road, causing a giant bottleneck. Why is it there? Why the fuck hasn't anything been done about it?

Of course it all costs too much...(bullshit, not when it's done right the first time).

couldn't agree more. that stretch where it goes from 70 to 60 just past the BP is a camera trap spot too.

Bluebagger
19-06-2009, 11:02 AM

How are we behind the times?

Catch up to who???

I would not want to live anywhere else ..... unless someone changes Perth to be more like Sydeney or Brisvegus etc

Pierogi
19-06-2009, 11:10 AM

I definately agree there. That tonkin highway is a shocker. Not thought out well at all.

Bendito
19-06-2009, 11:17 AM
<things I don't like>

Dont like it, move.

:laugh:

Randomman
19-06-2009, 11:33 AM
What I want:

- 24 hour trading hours, if you want to be open 24 hours you should be allowed to, if you don't want to, well fuck no-one's forcing you to be.

- Better night life and public transport to back it up, even just having the trains running 24/7 would be enough for me

- A right hand lane on the freeway with a 140km/h speed limit and fines amass for anyone doing significantly under (10-15km/h)

All I can think of at the moment.

- trading hours

I agree completely, however with respect to other states we're far ahead with our public transport system. But still, compared to Japan we're centuries behind.

Desmo
19-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I guess it all deapands on what you after.
Pretty much, my parents loved it, because it is what it is, a sleepy little town in comparison to other places.
I think the young side of the populous will always have issue with it for the same reason.

Martin1
19-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Look at my signature. The key is NOT to try and make Perth like another city. The key is to make Perth the attraction.

so very true.

for those that missed it; FORM | Building a state of creativity (http://www.form.net.au/)

crash
19-06-2009, 12:34 PM
when i left school in in bunbury most of the people i knew thought it was a backward shithole and couldn t wait to move to perth. they thought perth was the duck nuts but when they started getting married they moved back down there to escape the" rat race" if its that backward s then country towns/cities must be still in the darkages

Sunshine & F'n Rainbows
19-06-2009, 12:47 PM
WA mostly suffers from utterly useless state government that spends vast resources arguing ridiculous shit.

We have reasonable weather, big open spaces and decent enough people, but the clowns running the show need to have a massive ass kicking.

Maxo
19-06-2009, 12:56 PM
http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/45352/Perth---living-in-the-Dark-Ages-/2m6l3s5.jpg

thro
19-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Nail. Head. hit.

Perth roads suck. They're designed with small country town mentality in mind, and thats why our traffic is fucked. We've got big city traffic without the actual big city.

Someone needs to tell main roads about the concept of traffic flow, this stop/start shit every 500m on the "highway" (what a fucking joke) is retarded.

edit:
and yeah, i'm not saying "perth sucks". aspects of it suck, and its annoying because as someone else said, the potential is there to be so much better... if only people would pull their finger out and tackle the real issues (energy supply, water supply, transport system, etc) rather than getting hung up on what colour the ferris wheel should be.

Nickerz
19-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Biggest problem with Perth is the 'if you don't like it move' attitude, sorry Grant et al. It's fucked. That's why we have the most stunning city with the most stunning open spaces in the most amazing climate...with the lamest fucking foreshore, seafront, roads and overall vibrancy in Oz. Every no vote sends another generation of 20-40 somethings east or overseas looking for something more.

It's the potential for so much more that frustrates, and that's not dissing it at all - it's a compliment in fact. This state is vast and beautiful yet someone's scared of the sky - 3 stories at Cott? So? Who made that no. up? Vested interest and a (sometimes justified but at least give someone progressive a chance, this is NOT the 80s) fear of bad development has frozen Perth.

It's beautiful. That's why I live here. But it could also be a shed load more fun.

Randomman
19-06-2009, 01:22 PM

I think you'll find that's the same all around Australia. Doesn't excuse it, just saying though.

Maxo
19-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Biggest problem with Perth is the 'if you don't like it move' attitude, sorry Grant et al. It's fucked. That's why we have the most stunning city with the most stunning open spaces in the most amazing climate...with the lamest fucking foreshore, seafront, roads and overall vibrancy in Oz. Every no vote sends another generation of 20-40 somethings east or overseas looking for something more.

It's the potential for so much more that frustrates, and that's not dissing it at all - it's a compliment in fact. This state is vast and beautiful yet someone's scared of the sky - 3 stories at Cott? So? Who made that no. up? Vested interest and a (sometimes justified but at least give someone progressive a chance, this is NOT the 80s) fear of bad development has frozen Perth.

It's beautiful. That's why I live here. But it could also be a shed load more fun.

Yep.

Perth is not the least bit innovative because of it.

Cbr1k
19-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Having just been to Adelaide, Perth attitude to roads amazes me.

Adelaide has a much smaller population than Perth and yet all the little back roads all have proper width roads with full shoulders. We cant even manage that 15'ks out of the city.

Reid Hwy is an abortion. Especially that other bottleneck between Beechboro and Roe Hwy.

Have a look at Darwin.

Tiny population compared to Perth. ~100,000 people.

Yet they manage to have a main road from the city to the burbs with min 3 lanes all the way with a flyover as well. Perth still hasn't even managed this on the freeway.

Does anybody ever remember a time when you could travel the length of the freway without hitting a 60 zone due to roadworks?

The ring roads around Darwin are fantastic (if boring).

Also look at the Track. Hidden Valley manages to have a track with proper facilities again all with a tiny population base.

Nath
19-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Having just been to Adelaide, Perth attitude to roads amazes me.

How good are the surfaces too ?

Those storm drains apparently catch a few people out when its wet.. and you wouldn't want to hit one of the tram track power poles..

Roger Explosion
19-06-2009, 02:07 PM
My bigest complain about Perth (WA in general I supose) is that we are affected my a government that micro manages and over regulates every little thing, yet we get no benift from the meddling. At least in places with similarly over zealous officials, (singapore im looking at you) they have clean streets and low crime. What have was gained from such heavy regulation of every little thing in our lives??

jules_1972
19-06-2009, 02:13 PM
I dont know what other Cities they model Perth on???

Anyone???

Nath
19-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Anyone???

Exactly.. ^_^

Roger Explosion
19-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Anyone???

Mega city 2

jules_1972
19-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Cost of living is equal to what???

European Cities??
USA Cities??

Wilson
19-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Does anybody ever remember a time when you could travel the length of the freway without hitting a 60 zone due to roadworks?

I struggle to think of a time I could travel the length of the freeway without hitting a 60 zone due to retards driving three abreast (well, okay, 80. But the sentiment still stands).

jules_1972
19-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I struggle to think of a time I could travel the length of the freeway without hitting a 60 zone due to retards driving three abreast (well, okay, 80. But the sentiment still stands).

Not really a Freeway then is it...

Cops to busy waiting to flash people for going 10km/hr over the limit as opposed to keeping it free flowing..

Road probably designed for 1/2 the traffic volume it gets in peak hour.

Nickerz
19-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Mega city 2

Bwahaha! Chopper from Oz eh? Classic.

mattabation
19-06-2009, 03:32 PM
......."WA needs to lift it's game and catch up".....

How can this happen when you only have to look at this thread and see all the varied opinions... if we can't agree on a forum where everyone has some sort of common ground, how can we expect politicians to agree on a change or an acceptance of the staus quo while eye balling each other across the parliament floor.

With this thought in mind, should the real question here be, "do we have the community focus to either keep WA as is, or drag it into the idea of the 21st century?".

What is living 50 years in the past? Are we still watching black and white tv? It's all well and good to demand 24/7 trains, superbly finished roads, security patrols in every suburb, sporting grounds that are both central AND of a sufficient capacity... but who pays for all this? Who decides when these upgrades occur and in what priority? These decisions are chopped and changed with each new government, so invariably, if something does change, its done half arsed, with the blame being continuously handballed back and forth...

WA by sheer size, will always be behind, as it doesn't have the population to support the funding for the infrastucture that it needs to be comparable to other states. This holds true for both urban and country areas, take Adelaide, only 17% less population than in Perth, yet it occupies 33% of Perth citys' land area.... that is, almost as many rate payers to fund infrastructure projects in an area a third the size....

This is, however, completely irrelavant as no matter which direction we head in (if it aint broke dont fix it - or - lets get out of the stone age) it will be a slow and drawn out process.

I personally love Perth, sure there are elements that piss me off sometimes, and if they piss off anybody enough that they wish to leave, good luck to 'em. I think that in any city, there will always be vast difference in opinion, pro's and con's, but on the flip side, Perth aint no Kosovo.... we could all be living somewhere alot worse.... they call Australia "the lucky country" and I think somewhere along the line we tend to lose sight of this fact...

shmoo
19-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Perth is not and never will be a 24hr city. We dont need to be that. We shouldnt try and become Sydney, London or Singapore. We should focus on being Perth and attracting people here based on our own merits.

I'll use an example I mentioned earlier - water. We have an absolutely stunning city location. Probably THE most beautiful place in the world. We have the swan river right in the CBD, we have THE worlds best beaches within a few minutes of the CBD. But there is no connectivity between the city centre and either the river or the coast. The only connectivity we have is what?....Scarborough Beach Road? Please, its such a waste of opportunity.

First and foremost we need atmosphere in the CBD. That means people living there, which means we need to make it appealing to live there. We need the cafe culture of scarborough/freo/cott in the CBD. The latest plan by the Lord Mayor to redo "the terrace" into two lanes each way with very wide footpaths and lots of alfresco dining and bars is fantastic. It needs to be done ASAP. There should be a tram so people can travel between the terrace and Subi and Mt Lawley easily in the evenings.

You guys are getting sidetracked with the state of our roads. Look, I agree that they're substandard, but thats a minor issue compared to the stuff we're talking about here. You dont visit one of the worlds great cities and think "wow, their road network is exceptional" you think "wow, thats vibrant, exciting, happening."

I want different, interesting things in our CBD. I want to be able to head in on a friday night and go to a theatre production or the ballet or a street festival or a market or a game at Members Equity or whatever. These things dont have to compete with Broadway or London's West End, they can and should be local stuff with local people.

I picture the malls in the city, when the shops close, tables and chairs move out into the street for restaurants and bars. A massive screen in Forrest Place to show big events like the World Cup Finals or a concert or Obama's speech or whatever.

Dont send a beer or wine festival out to the Swan Valley, have it in Forrest Place. Dont have "movies by Burswood", have it in Forrest Place, right in the CBD. Think how awesome it could be having an event at the new Perth Arena and then have everyone wandering to the malls or the terrace for dinner and drinks. With tram getting people out of there to minimise the antisocial behaviour we get with people just hanging about.

edit - sorry, I'm rambling. I'm just passionate about the CBD and making it good.

Nickerz
19-06-2009, 04:44 PM
^^^

Well said. Point, and it really really needs to be made, is the city can and SHOULD be different from the sleepy burbs and the 'change is death' countryside. You can can still have isolated, laid back, undiscovered, back to nature bla bla bla all over this giant bloody state, but I get mystified this has to continue to limit thinking and impact on city development.

Just take a walk down to Barrack St Shitty, sorry, Jetty in the summer and see the bemused tourists wandering around looking at...a half built pub, a posh chinese, a backpacker/hippy cheapo eaterie, and feck all else. It's embarassing. And the coastal development is offensive because it's restricted by private ownership - they sell off beach after beach to the highest bidder and what is it? Someone's paradise. But not everyone's - why can't there be a proper, public seafront? Yes there's Scabs, I lived there and loved it but god wished there was a real seafront with restaurants, shops - not the neglected 80s hole it is - and stuck there by a minority of protesters. For any kind of destination you need infrastructure for cafes and restaurants, bars, marinas, not just piles of sand and parking - there's 100s of those beaches that will always be unspoilt. There's 100km of city beach north and start, using some won't 'rob the state' of the rest. Oh and there's 1000s of kms more people, drive a bit. I wouldn't change Guilderton, it's sweet as, but that's up there, the city and immediate coast need LIFE. Hillarys is a start, I hope Coogee comes up to speed, but after that it's just mansion city. Christ even Glenelg is more exciting.

No-no's it's time to set the city free and still enjoy your 6pm curfew biggest loser fanclub suburban fortress.

OOOooooo that were a good rant :)

Barfridge
19-06-2009, 05:02 PM
What have we done with all our vast expanses of coast and river? Put fucking roads right against them. South Perth is one of the few places where there is a public recreation area on the river, otherwise there's little bits here and there, inbetween roads and private housing.

Desmo
19-06-2009, 05:28 PM
What have we done with all our vast expanses of coast and river? Put fucking roads right against them.
Freeway south on some of the most sought after real estate in Perth.
Nice planning.

not faz
19-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Freeway south on some of the most sought after real estate in Perth.
Nice planning.

Yeah but probably one of the best views from a freeway that you'll get in the world.

Desmo
19-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Considering the amount of time spent stationary on the freeway, maybe that's a good thing.

polonY
19-06-2009, 05:37 PM
tl;dr

The thing that shits me more than anything is that all the haters seem to hold the view that all change is good change, and just because we are not following the rest of society, we are backwards. Perhaps the rest of society has already proven to be idiotic enough times for us to see that we don't have to follow the lead.

Daylight savings was the perfect example. There is absolutely no genuine benefit one way or the other, so why introduce a more complicated and pointless time system. The eastern states (that have made the change) are backward in my eyes for making such a pointless/dumb change and because of that, we are stuck with having to do it eventually. If anyone actually bothered to research why it was introduced long ago and why it is no longer relevant in contemporary society, then we wouldn't have an issue.

/rant

We are not backwards, we are different. So much of the world is so idiotic, I'm proud to say that I live somewhere that doesn't 'go with the flow'.

thro
19-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Not really a Freeway then is it...

Cops to busy waiting to flash people for going 10km/hr over the limit as opposed to keeping it free flowing..

Road probably designed for 1/2 the traffic volume it gets in peak hour.

The road could probably carry double the traffic volume if (and only if)
- limit was raised
- on ramps were lengthened in places (give slower vehicles time to reach freeway speed)
- useless wankers learn that you are supposed to match speed BEFORE entering the freeway

polonY
19-06-2009, 05:42 PM
The road could probably carry double the traffic volume if (and only if)
- limit was raised
- on ramps were lengthened in places (give slower vehicles time to reach freeway speed)
- useless wankers learn that you are supposed to match speed BEFORE entering the freeway

AND if the useless wankers learnt to merge/drive in general. I've said it before and I'll say it again, send em all over to Europe for a year, whoever returns alive will be the better for it.

thro
19-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Perth is not and never will be a 24hr city. We dont need to be that.

Um, newsflash: we probably have a higher proportion of our population working 12 hr rosters on 24 hr operations (FIFO) than anywhere else in australia. These people buy shit to do their job. They also buy shit when on R&R, and may like to do so when convenient for them...

WA *is* a 24 hour state as far as people working goes. the service industry is just crippled by government regulation.

Desmo
19-06-2009, 05:44 PM
And they didn't have fucking idiotic 60 Km/h limits on the on ramps that they use as an excuse to do you.

thro
19-06-2009, 05:45 PM
^^ ahh yeah forgot about that... lol

Hell
19-06-2009, 05:46 PM
sooo fuckin slow. i've travelled around a bit and just dont undrerstand why everyone thinks it's soo good for everything to be closed all the time.

we were coming back from a night out the other week and the only thing that was open for something to eat between freo and riverton was macca's and the same goes everytime. everywhere ales in the world you'll be able to get something decent to eat after midnight.

I've lived in perth my whole life and if you say dont like it leave then i dont give a fuck what you think. I think we have the most backwards pollies in the world.

Xuaxace
19-06-2009, 05:50 PM
We are not backwards, we are different. So much of the world is so idiotic, I'm proud to say that I live somewhere that doesn't 'go with the flow'.

I see what you are saying here polony but you have dissecting the reality.

Being backwards might have its benefits which is what you ''no change'' suporters love.

Don't forget it is a PACKAGE. Have you ever heard yourself complaining why in the UK the government spends money with rider awareness programs and that sort of thing? They have moved foward in thinking, while Perth hasn't. Like that there are millions of examples.

I'm guessing in your books that is fine...

thro
19-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I think it could well be a case of many people living in perth (or WA in general) for their entire life and never getting out and seeing anywhere else. they're in their own little reality bubble and everywhere else sucks, so anything anywhere else has that perth doesn't have must suck too.

edit:
except for ferris wheels. bitches love ferris wheels*

*allegedly

Xuaxace
19-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Exacly, Most haven't have a benchmark to really compare to as I said early in this thread... owell.

polonY
19-06-2009, 05:56 PM
xuaxace, I'm not against all change. But the haters seem to feel that all change is good change, as was my earlier point. I would love to see similar road safety strategies as the UK employed here. I just don't want to support change for the sake of it. Hence my daylight savings example.

There are posters in this thread complaining about WA who I have seen in other threads saying something along the lines of, "If you dont like your job, find another instead of whinging/striking etc etc". Lets apply the same logic and say "If you don't like WA, leave".

Desmo
19-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Haters?
And it's your opinion that it's change for the sake of it.

wannabee
19-06-2009, 05:58 PM
A massive screen in Forrest Place to show big events like the World Cup Finals or a concert or Obama's speech or whatever.

Believe it or not, This has happened already, Altho not in Forrest place.
On the corner of James and whatever else (Where the round about is in northbridge) Where its all construction zone, is turning into a big cafe area and there will be the Northbridge Micro Brewery aswell.
Pavings all down, Tables and chair were there last i looked.
And if u look up, theres a BIG screen that they will project (what i will guess) would be mainly sport but hopefully Important things ie Gov. speeches etc aswell!!

polonY
19-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Haters?
And it's your opinion that it's change for the sake of it.

Haters = people thinking wa is backwards. I've never seen a valid reason for daylight savings to exist in australia, bar selfish ones. It is a unnecessary addition. If you cant point out a reason that isn't "I'd like some sun when I get home from work (just as many people like some sun when they have to wake up early)" then I'll disprove it or change my tune in a heartbeat.

gtg to gym, debate later:D

Xuaxace
19-06-2009, 06:09 PM
xuaxace, I'm not against all change. But the haters seem to feel that all change is good change, as was my earlier point. I would love to see similar road safety strategies as the UK employed here. I just don't want to support change for the sake of it. Hence my daylight savings example.

There are posters in this thread complaining about WA who I have seen in other threads saying something along the lines of, "If you dont like your job, find another instead of whinging/striking etc etc". Lets apply the same logic and say "If you don't like WA, leave".

I see you say you don't want to change for the sake of changing. While you might think something deserve changing half of the people will disagree. So what makes a change worthy of being implemented when there is always a bunch of old people who will not agree?.

While stuck in that paradox perth is going to stand still and if you aren't moving fowards you are moving backwards.

BTW I am leaving, there is no question. I was even considering leaving to mMelbourne this year. I couldn't get it all together so will probably have to stick throughout university.

Don't get my wrong though, I really like Perth and it will always have a place in my heart for being the place where I grew up in my teenage years. That being said I don't see myself here.

Randomman
19-06-2009, 06:17 PM
If you cant point out a reason that isn't "I'd like some sun when I get home from work (just as many people like some sun when they have to wake up early)" then I'll disprove it or change my tune in a heartbeat.

Why? The reason you're choosing to ignore is by far the most valid reason for daylight savings.

g0zer
19-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I think it could well be a case of many people living in perth (or WA in general) for their entire life and never getting out and seeing anywhere else.

im not so sure about that

it wouldnt surprise me if people in perth were as widely travelled as any city in the world

thro
19-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Haters = people thinking wa is backwards. I've never seen a valid reason for daylight savings to exist in australia, bar selfish ones. It is a unnecessary addition. If you cant point out a reason that isn't "I'd like some sun when I get home from work (just as many people like some sun when they have to wake up early)" then I'll disprove it or change my tune in a heartbeat.

gtg to gym, debate later:D
DLS is nothing to do with WA being called backwards.

People call WA backwards because, well... it fucking IS.

I'm anti-DLS, but not because it's change. Its because its retarded.

Its not so much that WA people boycott stuff (though they do, but for a reason, follows). Its just that few who live here seem to have any vision beyond what is going to happen in perth in the next 12 months.

im not so sure about that

it wouldnt surprise me if people in perth were as widely travelled as any city in the world

Bali doesn't count (for the purposes of exposure to civilization :D)

Daise
19-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Daise (as source of query), who would you have us catch-up to? and at what life-style, social, economic costs?

First of all, I'd like to see better public transport. More regular, more bus routes and for longer hours, especially on weekends.

I'd also like to see extended trading hours for cafes, even if it's only in the CBD or in Freo. I remember going on a midnight ride with some friends, and it took us forever to find a coffee place.

Perth has got so much potential. I'm not saying turn it into Brisvegas, or London. We have awesome warm evenings in Summer, yet there's hardly enough outdoorsy places to go and enjoy it.

What happened to WA - The State of Excitement? The only excitement you'll get these days is going to Coles at 4:55 on a Sat and not knowing if they've shut the doors. It's a beautiful city, but there's NOTHING attractive about it. Anyone who comes to WA comes to see the outback, not the bloody Belltower.

Here, the museums and galleries are FREE. And yes, that's an incentive to go and have a looky. Whereas in Perth, people would rather spend that money on a cinema ticket.

I'm looking at plenty of escape plans, but I accept Perth for what it is: a good place to bring up kids and retire.

oh and Daise.... :D troll

/troll

:fuck:

I agree. Perth is the only place I'd have kids.

Sums it up for me....

The vacant 'cattle' mentality still leaves me in culture shock. Decayed relics making laws that keep all under the thumb.

Woe be to he / she who is alive and happy to express it....again vacant bovine expressions.

Perth had the best but it seems to have stopped dead. The only area where it seems to be progressing is Medical science.

Perth is just a small country town...very much like Bega NSW, or Dubbo. pity really...

The whingers only whinge because Perth could be so much more. Yes it is a great place to bring up 'the kid' but then again so is a uterus for a foetus

Pretty much, my parents loved it, because it is what it is, a sleepy little town in comparison to other places.
I think the young side of the populous will always have issue with it for the same reason.

That's the thing. The majority of the population are baby-boomers, and therefore have a majority of the vote.

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/45352/Perth---living-in-the-Dark-Ages-/2m6l3s5.jpg

That pic could've been taken anytime in the last 30 years... *sigh*

^^^

Well said. Point, and it really really needs to be made, is the city can and SHOULD be different from the sleepy burbs and the 'change is death' countryside. You can can still have isolated, laid back, undiscovered, back to nature bla bla bla all over this giant bloody state, but I get mystified this has to continue to limit thinking and impact on city development.

Just take a walk down to Barrack St Shitty, sorry, Jetty in the summer and see the bemused tourists wandering around looking at...a half built pub, a posh chinese, a backpacker/hippy cheapo eaterie, and feck all else. It's embarassing. And the coastal development is offensive because it's restricted by private ownership - they sell off beach after beach to the highest bidder and what is it? Someone's paradise. But not everyone's - why can't there be a proper, public seafront? Yes there's Scabs, I lived there and loved it but god wished there was a real seafront with restaurants, shops - not the neglected 80s hole it is - and stuck there by a minority of protesters. For any kind of destination you need infrastructure for cafes and restaurants, bars, marinas, not just piles of sand and parking - there's 100s of those beaches that will always be unspoilt. There's 100km of city beach north and start, using some won't 'rob the state' of the rest. Oh and there's 1000s of kms more people, drive a bit. I wouldn't change Guilderton, it's sweet as, but that's up there, the city and immediate coast need LIFE. Hillarys is a start, I hope Coogee comes up to speed, but after that it's just mansion city. Christ even Glenelg is more exciting.

No-no's it's time to set the city free and still enjoy your 6pm curfew biggest loser fanclub suburban fortress.

OOOooooo that were a good rant :)

This, a billion billion times. And they killed Scabs when they killed Maccas. Whoever thought of THAT brilliant idea needs to get their head checked.

And for those who said "don't like it, move"? I did.

Wilson
19-06-2009, 07:11 PM
The thing that shits me more than anything is that all the haters seem to hold the view that all change is good change, and just because we are not following the rest of society, we are backwards. Perhaps the rest of society has already proven to be idiotic enough times for us to see that we don't have to follow the lead.

Daylight savings was the perfect example. There is absolutely no genuine benefit one way or the other, so why introduce a more complicated and pointless time system.

Conversely... all change is bad change? DLS is not a perfect example, because as you just said, there is absolutely no genuine benefit.

There is benefit if I can actually get to the shops and buy the shit I need to buy when I need to buy it.

[edit]

Haters = people thinking wa is backwards. I've never seen a valid reason for daylight savings to exist in australia, bar selfish ones. It is a unnecessary addition.
ZOMFG... dude, will you shut the fuck up about DLS? It's not the issue at hand.

Wilson
19-06-2009, 07:12 PM
And they didn't have fucking idiotic 60 Km/h limits on the on ramps that they use as an excuse to do you.
A mate was trying to merge at a sensible speed and got pineappled to the tune of $700 for his trouble.

I simply don't have the words for stuff like that...

BTW I am leaving, there is no question. I was even considering leaving to mMelbourne this year.
See you on MSB sometime soon, my good man. I'll put up with shit weather for a livable, vibrant city.

rod
19-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Perth is not too bad a place. Mostly neat and tidy, green grass (you can water your lawns OMG!), clean cars (you can wash your cars OMG!), No Indians and Lebos and Africans and Pacific Islanders mugging each other the minute the sun goes down, parks which people actually use (eastern states residents have forgotten what they for as they've turned into mallrats), traffic peak hours don't extend into saturday and sunday....

The only bad things I can remember from my time were the terrible bike parking (sydney is the same but Melbourne rules for it!), the skyrocketing housing costs and a slightly bizarre obsession with showing the eastern states that "hey we're filthy rich too - mining ftw!". The traffic chaos and no parking room at the airport are growing pains from rapid expansion (and are worse in Melbourne and Sydney anyway). Perth drivers might be bad but they're just as bad in the eastern states.

The freeway coming in from the south is absolutely sensational, Kings park is sensational, ferris wheels are the new craze amongst governments blah blah blah. The weather is nice just about all year 'round (although the breeze would drop at around 7pm and my apartment would start to roast), I would wake up on saturday and sunday and hear V8 ski boats roaring up and down the Swan river (ace!).

And I haven't seen any Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane/Adelaidestreetbikes.com yet....

polonY
19-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Conversely... all change is bad change? DLS is not a perfect example, because as you just said, there is absolutely no genuine benefit.

There is benefit if I can actually get to the shops and buy the shit I need to buy when I need to buy it.

[edit]

ZOMFG... dude, will you shut the fuck up about DLS? It's not the issue at hand.

Chill dude, if you read what I wrote you would've seen that I agree with GOOD change, but NOT change for the sake of 'moving forwards'. 'Moving forwards' is not a valid reason for change unless it is backed up with evidence as to why it will be better. Instead of providing valid reasoning, I often just see whingers complain that we haven't moved forward, hence my view that the complainers just want any change that other countries/states have implemented.

randomman, I choose to ignore 'the most important reason' because I don't feel it is a valid argument, you may feel it is but the argument still fails because it was voted out.

Now, I've made my point and I'm sick of saying the words change and reason, so do with it what you will^_^

EDIT: oh and wilson, no point whinging about traffic policing in WA because it is worse over east. They are driving the whole 'hoon' bullshit. I was in syndey for only a week and saw some pretty bad calls by a cop or two, same story in melbourne (a lot of fucktard drivers in melbourne too).

Roger Explosion
19-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I think Perth has many fantstic things going for it. But we really need to lift all the rediculous regulations on every facit of our lives and just let things develop organicly.
It wouldn't hurt to get rid of this "love it or leave" mentality either, although it saddens me to think this has become an Australian wide disease. If I hear one more inbred red necked bogan bang on about "bloody eastern staters rahh rahh blarkle rant" I swear I will snap. Let people be themselves. If someone thinks it is better for them to do their shopping at 9 pm on a sunday, why should the government tell them its wrong? Same goes for having a drink at a small bar that opened a short 5 minute walk from their home. We're strangling our selves with beaurocrisy and it really brings me down. Why do so many people over here veiw someone with a different outlook on life from them as such a threat?

Desmo
19-06-2009, 08:15 PM
The bureaucratic idiocy isn't just endemic to W.A. or even Australia, it's widespread in all western civilisations unfortunately.

Roger Explosion
19-06-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/members/zrx2000-albums-rex-s-picture7429-poster21574457.jpg

polonY
19-06-2009, 08:27 PM
god i cant stand people who spit out shit like 'perth has no culture'. we have a culture of being fat, lazy, vb drinking turds and we're proud of it:D

Roger Explosion
19-06-2009, 08:29 PM
god i cant stand people who spit out shit like 'perth has no culture'. we have a culture of being fat, lazy, vb drinking turds and we're proud of it:D

good point. cheerfully withdrawn then.. :D

Rooboy
19-06-2009, 08:50 PM
"If you don't like WA, leave".

+100 000

Go back to where ever you came from if it was so great there.:D
Why are you here? And don't say because of work, because then you are only a selfish visitor.

I am so sick of people bagging WA. F**k Off we're full anyway.;)

Xuaxace
19-06-2009, 08:53 PM
+100 000

Go back to where ever you came from if it was so great there.:D
Why are you here? And don't say because of work, because then you are only a selfish visitor.

I'm not bagging WA, I like this place. I'm bagging narrow minded individuals such as yourself.

Rooboy
19-06-2009, 09:01 PM
No Xuaxace, I'm not having a go at you. I meant +100 000 that I'm with you and sick of people bagging my home town.
Sorry if I haven't used the correct thread speak but I am a West Aussie so it must mean I am backwards.

Barfridge
19-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Rooboy: so you believe WA is a complete utopia and not one single thing needs to be changed?

Have you ever left WA? What do you have to use as comparison?

Desmo
19-06-2009, 09:37 PM
And I'm sick of bigoted rednecks who spew this out at every opportunity.

joneen13
19-06-2009, 10:57 PM
I like the "Don't love it? Leave it" approach.

Maxo
19-06-2009, 11:21 PM
F**k Off we're full anyway.

I wished the bogans that spewed this would take their own advice and stop breeding.

magwitch
19-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I would love to see similar road safety strategies as the UK employed here.

I guarantee you wouldn't.

Rider
19-06-2009, 11:36 PM
No city is perfect and everything has a down side

its just life.

EDIT

Wilson
20-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Chill dude, if you read what I wrote you would've seen that I agree with GOOD change, but NOT change for the sake of 'moving forwards'. 'Moving forwards' is not a valid reason for change unless it is backed up with evidence as to why it will be better. Instead of providing valid reasoning, I often just see whingers complain that we haven't moved forward, hence my view that the complainers just want any change that other countries/states have implemented.

No, dude. You're driving your DLS agenda. Read the arguments. People want to be able to shop on a day that's not Saturday. It's not about moving forward. It's about convenience for me, the taxpaying peon. It's about allowing me to live my life without bullshit restrictions.

Moving forward is simply something that's piggybacked on the argument, and personally I agree that there's a lot that needs to be changed because it's shit, not for the sake of change. I'm an engineer. I hate when the hippies in admin force change for the sake of change as much as you do. I do want change for the better, though.

Xuaxace
20-06-2009, 01:50 AM
live life without bullshit restrictions.

:yes:

polonY
20-06-2009, 06:39 AM
No, dude. You're driving your DLS agenda. Read the arguments. People want to be able to shop on a day that's not Saturday. It's not about moving forward. It's about convenience for me, the taxpaying peon. It's about allowing me to live my life without bullshit restrictions.

Moving forward is simply something that's piggybacked on the argument, and personally I agree that there's a lot that needs to be changed because it's shit, not for the sake of change. I'm an engineer. I hate when the hippies in admin force change for the sake of change as much as you do. I do want change for the better, though.

well then we are in agreement so calm the fuck down. i was driving DLS because that was a perfect example of change for the sake of change. shopping hours are different, and yes, i would love to go and get my fill of porno/cornflakes at 8pm on a monday night.

Rooboy
20-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Rooboy: so you believe WA is a complete utopia and not one single thing needs to be changed?

Have you ever left WA? What do you have to use as comparison?

To answer your question Barfridge Yes. I have lived in various parts of the world from Britain (London & Edinburgh, 5 years) Africa (Kenya & Zimbabwe, where we can now see how the forward thinkers of the Mugabe regime have lifted that place to lofty heights) UAE, Germany, SE Asia and even beutiful Sydney. And yes we are not talking holidays, minimum stay 12months in one place.
So I have seen both the good and the bad of places and I fitted in with their culture.

So I believe I have something to compere Perth to.
I maybe a little older than most as I'm 41.

I do agree with the Perth detracters about somethings but not everything. Change because someone misses something from Melbourne??

And Desmogod, you don't have to lower your colors to insulting people..

See you all at the next bike show.

jules_1972
20-06-2009, 08:29 AM
To answer your question Barfridge Yes. I have lived in various parts of the world from Britain (London & Edinburgh, 5 years) Africa (Kenya & Zimbabwe, where we can now see how the forward thinkers of the Mugabe regime have lifted that place to lofty heights) UAE, Germany, SE Asia and even beutiful Sydney. And yes we are not talking holidays, minimum stay 12months in one place.
So I have seen both the good and the bad of places and I fitted in with their culture.

So I believe I have something to compere Perth to.
I maybe a little older than most as I'm 41.

I do agree with the Perth detracters about somethings but not everything. Change because someone misses something from Melbourne??

Very good..

Cmon, really with the amount of wealth generated in WA (Over past 30 years)from agriculture, mining, oil/gas etc etc...

Perth/WA should be a Utopia..

I mean Germany isnt to bad considering it was flattened in 1945, Australia (WA) never had any thing like it, yet Germans have rebuilt their Country to a very hospitable high level of standard.

Well, I think they have...

Desmo is being nice to, or we get a sticky!!!!

rebel250
20-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Maybe that's what Perth city centre needs. A good flattening and restart...

Orson
20-06-2009, 09:02 AM
If I were to leave Perth to live somewhere else, it probably wouldn't be anywhere else in Australia.

I'd move to Norway or something.

Desmo
20-06-2009, 09:05 AM
As long as we have people like Johnson, Dorrington and Barnett, we're fucked.

jules_1972
20-06-2009, 09:11 AM
The whole system is phucked...

The term set for a governing party (Federal or State/Territory) is way to short to do anything with the amount of hurdles they have to clear just to get a tree planted (as example).

Joint Parties dont ever have an agreeable focus to benefit our city/society
in any way.

One goes left the others go right....

Me if I was to move 100% would be in Malaysia.
At least the governing body there have incentives to attract
people.

thro
20-06-2009, 02:09 PM
traffic peak hours don't extend into saturday and sunday....

its because nothing is fucking open... :lol:

Very good..

Cmon, really with the amount of wealth generated in WA (Over past 30 years)from agriculture, mining, oil/gas etc etc...

Perth/WA should be a Utopia..

I mean Germany isnt to bad considering it was flattened in 1945, Australia (WA) never had any thing like it, yet Germans have rebuilt their Country to a very hospitable high level of standard.

It's because they HAD to.

Or maybe not, but really, they didn't have the option to just sit back and wait for death with the status quo.

Australia in general, and Perth in particular has a very "she'll be right mate!" attitude of just living with things the way they are because we're too slack to move forwards.

Its why just about every election we have is split 49/51%, why the road safety council / police are putting in place increasingly draconian initiatives, and why pollies in general can get away with catering to the 10-15% (or whatever) of vocal minority groups. No one else gives a fuck.

jules_1972
20-06-2009, 02:31 PM
"she'll be right mate!"

No one else gives a fuck.

Exactly!!!

Its just, err, normal!!

Or

Its always been like that!!

Or

They have been doing it as far back as I can remember!!

Reality check, if they "Government" was a contractor working for
"YOU" the tax payer you would have sacked the phuckers a long time ago!!

Right?

thestewy09
20-06-2009, 02:49 PM
trading hours, 7 days a week.
none of this pissy shut on sunday shit
when i came here from melbourne i went to the shops on sunday and was like WTF they aint open.
Sunday aint none of this 1/2 day shit neither full day.

jules_1972
20-06-2009, 02:52 PM
trading hours, 7 days a week.
none of this pissy shut on sunday shit
when i came here from melbourne i went to the shops on sunday and was like WTF they aint open.
Sunday aint none of this 1/2 day shit neither full day.

Yes, let the outlet/shops management make the decision.
If they want then go for it, pay correct rates.

Weekend work for uni students/kids etc etc etc...

Year 2009 with a society operating within laws written
in errr, early 50's?????

Jedi
20-06-2009, 02:52 PM

You have absolutely hit the nail on the head mate. Its this strange mentality of "sure we might not have this or that but were happy about that". Its as if people think that the things Perth is missing is what makes us special.

Personally, I dont subscribe to that train of thought. I look at Perth from my background in property and town planning and I just shake my head. I'm not the only one either. No question, a large part of the problem is bureaucracy in this city but an even bigger part is the people not wanting change. Virtually everyone just gives up, because nothing every gets done here.

There is a total lack of city pride and that hurts us hugely. Perth is the capital city of the largest state in the country. The CBD has to be the focus of that. We need people living in the city, but why would people want to move in there when there is nothing there? We need cafes on the terrace footpaths, we need small bars, we need galleries, we need theatre productions etc etc etc.

The train line should be sunk from Claisebrook all the way to West Leederville. All in one hit. Just bloody do it. A large part of the cost could be funded immediately through the selling off of the land above it. Northbridge is suddenly part of the CBD. Tram lines up Beaufort St, along Stirling Hwy, Scarborough Beach Rd, Hay St and along Rokeby Rd.

Extend trading hours. If people can shop, they will hang around the city longer. The city will be more vibrant. More people will live in the CBD.

We need to get some truly world class stuff into the CBD. WA is the mining state. Take advantage of that. There should be a "Centre for Mining Education" or something like that, right in the CBD. But not like what we've got now. It should be THE best mining education on offer anywhere in the world. People should want to come to Perth because they know its the best education they can get. Hell, we've got BHP and all the big guys here, surely this could happen.

There are so many things that are quintessentially "WA" and we need to take those things to the world and really attract people to come to Perth. Beaches, water, sports, mining, the list is almost endless.

This + Maxo's opion x a million. Perth is not a bad place. There is the potential to be even better.

jules_1972
20-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Perth is not a bad place. There is the potential to be even better.

Better???

How?

Your Opinion.

Wilson
20-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Me if I was to move 100% would be in Malaysia.
At least the governing body there have incentives to attract
people.

I was born there and lived a lot of my early life there. There's no way I'd ever go back there to live.

I visit frequently to eat (and see family, I guess), though :D

jules_1972
20-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I was born there and lived a lot of my early life there. There's no way I'd ever go back there to live.

Very good....

Dont be shy, what are your reasons forwriting that?

magwitch
20-06-2009, 04:04 PM
If I were to leave Perth to live somewhere else, it probably wouldn't be anywhere else in Australia.

I'd move to Norway or something.

I think a Fireblade costs like $60k in Norway. Their taxes are ridiculous. Also, every meal is a giant carbohydrate loaded test of manhood.

jules_1972
20-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I think a Fireblade costs like $60k in Norway. Their taxes are ridiculous. Also, every meal is a giant carbohydrate loaded test of manhood.

What is average income?

Tax maybe high but think the retirement schemes are very adequate.

Maxo
20-06-2009, 04:30 PM

hurhurhur.. but no.

perdition
20-06-2009, 04:52 PM
nope to me its fine imho- you can get around relatively easy, no toll bridges, crime is reasonable compared to other cities. Its got abit expensive and we seem to have benefitted nothing from this so-called mining boom unless youre a cubby and CEO for a mining company. I'd settle for the shops to be open later each nite rather than open on a sunday.

thro
20-06-2009, 05:09 PM

60k for a bike you could probably ride about 2 months a year. awesome :D

Taz
20-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I reason that people in the cbd area including northbridge are hesitant of upgrading it and spending their money on it is that in the last 15 years the main nightlife area of perth has denigrated into a drunking slum where the average perthite doesnt want to go after dark.....just ask the doormen from the mustang what it is like......

15 years ago there was nowhere near the amount of problems in northbridge.... where that open space is was a food hall open to real late in the morning ie aprrox 2am on fri/sat nights... where people could go get a feed/coffee recover from excess alcohol and become normal humans again.....culture has changed... city policies havent kept up to keep a decent safe area.

who here remembers the 3 or 4 bars that used to be in the hay street mall open till the early hours...golden rail/savoy forget the other.....

perth is a catch 22 situation ( as I see it ) nobody wants to move into the city because there is nothing there to move in for and if you do it isnt safe to walk back to your apartment....

better police resources instead of concentrating on traffic fines... no-one every said a police force or service was supposed to be an imcome earner they are usually a huge money hole....

also our pollies just have no vision and those that do are told to toe the party line

I have lived here since 1980 abd watched it go backwards the whole time..... it used to be the city to live in

Wilson
20-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Dont be shy, what are your reasons forwriting that?
Mainly because it's racist and backward. If you were a white guy going over there, it'd probably be a little different, I guess.
However, I still prefer the quality of life (cleanliness, healthcare (believe it or not), etc) over here.
Plus, after 20+ years, this culture suits me better.

I should point out that I still find it an excellent place to visit and spend time. I just wouldn't want to live and work there.

I think we're getting a bit OT now though.

magwitch
21-06-2009, 02:53 AM
60k for a bike you could probably ride about 2 months a year. awesome :D

Denmark is even worse. They had an article about it in a recent issue of Bike magazine. A new Goldwing costs $130k there...

Big_Nath
21-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Up in Darwin they got 24/7 Coles. Fuckin sweet just got back from the shops.

mark_r
21-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Up in Darwin they got 24/7 Coles. Fuckin sweet just got back from the shops.

We had the same in Canberra last year - but now they're only open 6am-midnight.

Even here in Sale, Victoria, Coles is open 6am to midnight.

jules_1972
21-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Denmark is even worse. They had an article about it in a recent issue of Bike magazine. A new Goldwing costs $130k there...

What is average income??

How much is a new Goldwing here??

Desmo
21-06-2009, 08:42 AM
$43,990

magwitch
21-06-2009, 04:10 PM
What is average income??

About $43k according to google.

Australia (avg income $50k, Goldwing cost $44k) clearly beats Denmark on the Goldwing Affordability Index metric for evaluating quality of life.

jules_1972
21-06-2009, 04:34 PM
About $43k according to google.

Australia (avg income $50k, Goldwing cost $44k) clearly beats Denmark on the Goldwing Affordability Index metric for evaluating quality of life.

Geez, how can Denmark still be populated!!

Yawn.......

TORQ
22-06-2009, 12:03 AM
And Leisure Suit Larry said ... "Blah blah blah, blah blah blah ..."

HotelBushranger
22-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by shmoo

This + Maxo's opion x a million. Perth is not a bad place. There is the potential to be even better.

Quoted again for truth.

Perth should stand out on its own instead of looking to the east everytime for the next 'what should we do next'?

MuNch
22-06-2009, 07:47 AM
I thought there was just a small amount of development in Perth right now?
Are all those cranes there just for show n tell?

thro
22-06-2009, 08:22 AM
I reason that people in the cbd area including northbridge are hesitant of upgrading it and spending their money on it is that in the last 15 years the main nightlife area of perth has denigrated into a drunking slum where the average perthite doesnt want to go after dark.....just ask the doormen from the mustang what it is like......

Could this perhaps be due to the fact that northbridge is a hole, and no one with any actual sense wants to go there late at night?

Its been that way as far as I can remember, parents even used to rant about it about 20 years ago being a shit hole.

Put a heap of pubs and nightclubs in one spot and you'll end up with that, people just get kicked out of one place, stumble on to the next... northbridge reminds me much of kalgoorlie for that sort of thing....

malenko
23-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Personally I want perth to be different... but it still needs alot of improvements.

I would like to see a better public transport system eg, u live in ballajura and want to catch the train, and you just miss the bus that will take u to one of the 2 stations, now it will take u almost 45 minutes to get to either the bayswater station or the warwick station.

the train system is rooted, they need to go to more places imo, the city center itself needs to have more life in it rather than just a place for businesses which it appears to be now (it is slowly improving, all those cranes u see r largely residential appartment blocks)

I would like an improved nightlife, not one that is closed down at 3 am and restricted to 2 streets in northbridge, i know there is freo and hillaries but u can only goto one of the 3 for the night realistically, and they suffer from the same problem of being shut at like 3am

extended trading hours, allow shops to be open for 24/7, most of them wont be because it wont be financially feesable, but let the shops decide for themselves, longer trading hours means more jobs, which is always a good thing.

I dont have much of a problem with the roads, they seem to be ok atm.

the unfortunate thing is i have lived here all my life and havent had the chance to go traveling yet, so i dont really know what other cities have and dont have :(, but first chance i get i am getting the fuck out of perth, I have had enough of the "dont like it leave it" attitude, but with that attitude no one is gonna be attracted to perth to live here. Diversity is the spice of life, it cant get more diverse if people dont migrate here, and people dont migrate here because if you dont fit into perths single social scene there is nothing for you to do.

Im not a huge fan of sport, or clubbing, and there isnt much for me to do in perth,
I would love for more stand up comics coming over here for festivals, or theater productions, or all the bands that come for an australian tour and just happen to skip WA, but they hit brisbane sydney and melbourne.

I am not saying "look at what melbourne and sydney are doing.... well do that"
I am saying that things need improvement

Xuaxace
23-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Personally I want perth to be different... but it still needs alot of improvements.

I would like to see a better public transport system eg, u live in ballajura and want to catch the train, and you just miss the bus that will take u to one of the 2 stations, now it will take u almost 45 minutes to get to either the bayswater station or the warwick station.

I have seen this being brought up a few times. So I'm going to comment on it.

Perth is a MASSIVE CITY. As with any city in Australia there has been a tendency of expanding horizontally rather than vertically. Meaning that plublic transport is hugely inneficient and extremly expensive to run (too many routes to many places and very little people to support it).

Go to Melbourne to see how much it costs to go on private public transport. They ran even less routes than here becuase they are a lot more cost concious (private company).

Perth is too vast to support any kind of good/ efficient public transport system. Nothing can be done about it unless Perth becomes more dense or we spend millions of taxpayers money to support it.

Cbr1k
23-06-2009, 06:18 AM
or we spend millions of taxpayers money to support it.

If only we had a mining industry that gives us billions of $$$. Oh wai......

malenko
23-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I have seen this being brought up a few times. So I'm going to comment on it.

Perth is a MASSIVE CITY. As with any city in Australia there has been a tendency of expanding horizontally rather than vertically. Meaning that plublic transport is hugely inneficient and extremly expensive to run (too many routes to many places and very little people to support it).

Go to Melbourne to see how much it costs to go on private public transport. They ran even less routes than here becuase they are a lot more cost concious (private company).

Perth is too vast to support any kind of good/ efficient public transport system. Nothing can be done about it unless Perth becomes more dense or we spend millions of taxpayers money to support it.

sounds like melbournes public transport system can do with an upgrade too then

im not saying that the eastern states has a better system, just saying ours needs improvement

Martin1
23-06-2009, 12:46 PM
i think what xuaxace is getting at is the hugely inefficient and totally illogical nature of providing public transport to a sprawling suburban metropolis.

this is not a problem that is limited to Perth, like you say, many eastern cities also experience this problem. so do american cities like LA, which was built upon similar ideals as here.

i am afraid it is something that you will have to get used to, not because it is in the too hard basket so pollies wont address it, but because it is almost impossible to deal with at all...

i believe the public transport system already runs at a loss, imagine how much worse that would get if you start having extra services to carry one or two passengers. you would be paying a lot more than the miserly 4 or 5 dollars for your ticket, trust me.

but hey, this is just one of the prices you pay for living in a city built on the ideals of a 1/4 acre block, car ownership and open spaces.

Daise
23-06-2009, 04:34 PM
If they improved the public transport system, and made it more thorough, more people would use it. Moar people = moar ticket sales. It would pay for itself if it was planned correctly.

ps: the ticket prices here are extortionate - 2 pounds FIXED price for a bus ride. That's for 2 stops, or 20 stops. I'm also paying close to $200AUD/month for my Oyster card, which pays for unlimited bus travel and within certain zones of the London Underground (same kinda system as the Transperth pass). But I'm happy to pay that because I can get from A to Z via QRS if I needed to.

darth lefty
23-06-2009, 05:04 PM
There's an awful lot of shit flinging in this thread and it's muddying the gold that shmoo has already espoused. He hit the nail on the head in saying that Perth will be what we make it.

So to those of you who are flinging shit about Perth being a backwards city, if you choose to live here - and ultimately you do, it is not too hard to move elsewhere - choose to make living here a self rewarding experience, rather than crapping on about what some other city has and why that makes it better than where you live. I'm not saying if you don't like you should leave. Far from it, if you don't like it but are going to continue living here, I have no problems if you choose to do either of the following; shut the fuck up or do something about it.

I like Perth. I like living here; there are aspects that I don't like about it, for sure, but I get around that because like anything else, you make a few compromises and move on with life.

shmoo
23-06-2009, 05:19 PM
One thing people need to realise is that the public transport system in Perth is actually very good. Despite what some are saying, our train system is great. Sure, the network of lines could be more extensive, but thats always going to be the case and its the same everywhere. You simply cant have a line to every single property in the city.

Most of the complaints about the trains come from people living miles from the line and then complaining about access to the trains. I mean seriously, WTF are you people on? If access to trains is important to you, dont go buy a house in Ellenbrook or Landsdale or whatever. Do what others do and sacrifice things and get a smaller house in a better located area.

The bus network in Perth is actually pretty damn good considering the small population we have and the huge area its spread out over. Few places in the world have such an extensive bus route network. Sure on some routes, busses may only come once or twice an hour, but guess what....thats because fark all people living in those areas want to get a bus.

NO public transport service will ever be truly economically viable in Perth. There simply isnt the volume of passengers. They are provided as a service by the government and on the whole, its a reasonable system.

I bitch and moan about things as much as the next guy, but sometimes you've got to ask if your being reasonable.

Xuaxace
23-06-2009, 05:29 PM
NO public transport service will ever be truly economically viable in Perth. There simply isnt the volume of passengers. They are provided as a service by the government and on the whole, its a reasonable system

Exacly.

In all fairness though, for what it is, it does a good job. I can get from kardinya to Trigg beach in 45 minutes by public transport, 20 mins to the city etc.

I have stopeed using public transport almost entirely because the usual trips I do take 2-3 times as long like going to uni or work so there isn't any point.
If I was to work at the city for example I would catch the train, It does a good job for that :).

Roger Explosion
23-06-2009, 05:44 PM
So to those of you who are flinging shit about Perth being a backwards city, if you choose to live here - and ultimately you do, it is not too hard to move elsewhere .

Thats just a little bit of crap there. You seem to have acess to the tardis so you can just zip to another place but, for most of us, moving somewhere else is one of the largest undertakings a person can make.
I don't view it as whinging about Perth being shit, I see it as trying to look for ways to improve our city.
The problem is that too many people seem to think the Perth is some perfect utopia that doesn't need any changeing. And clearly anybody who disagrees with this needs to fuck off elsewhere. Ingrates, they need to love it or leave........................:rolleyes:

darth lefty
23-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Thats just a little bit of crap there. You seem to have acess to the tardis so you can just zip to another place but, for most of us, moving somewhere else is one of the largest undertakings a person can make.
I don't view it as whinging about Perth being shit, I see it as trying to look for ways to improve our city.
The problem is that too many people seem to think the Perth is some perfect utopia that doesn't need any changeing. And clearly anybody who disagrees with this needs to fuck off elsewhere. Ingrates, they need to love it or leave........................:rolleyes:

You've cropped a bit there haven't you?

My point wasn't that you should move at all; it was that more people should address the issues they don't like about Perth, or find ways around it.

Martin1
24-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Most of the complaints about the trains come from people living miles from the line and then complaining about access to the trains. I mean seriously, WTF are you people on? If access to trains is important to you, dont go buy a house in Ellenbrook or Landsdale or whatever. Do what others do and sacrifice things and get a smaller house in a better located area.

^^WHS^^

it's so funny when people trot out the same old lines -

them: "perth is so backwards, it takes me an hour to get to perth by public transport, when i could drive in 20 mins!! hur hur hur..."
me: "really? takes me 5 mins to walk there. where do you live?"
them: "ocean reef/greenwood/maddington/etc..."
me: :huh:

there is a pretty easy way for YOU to make a difference to your public transport experience...

malenko
24-06-2009, 01:20 PM
^^WHS^^

it's so funny when people trot out the same old lines -

them: "perth is so backwards, it takes me an hour to get to perth by public transport, when i could drive in 20 mins!! hur hur hur..."
me: "really? takes me 5 mins to walk there. where do you live?"
them: "ocean reef/greenwood/maddington/etc..."
me: :huh:

there is a pretty easy way for YOU to make a difference to your public transport experience...
/rant

Dude honestly.. thats retarded logic...

people buy houses in landsdale, ellenbrook etc etc, because they are affordable, they are affordable because they are on the outskirts of the city.

Basically you are just telling people to buy an expensive house in the inner suburbs if they dont like the efficiency of the transport system.

imho thats retarded logic, not everyone can "sacrifice a few things" and obtain a house in the inner suburbs, have you seen house prices lately? have u seen the rental prices?? the repayments alone would often be higher than peoples gross weekly income almost, how are they going to be able to afford it by making a few sacrifices?

your basically saying that the public transport system is inefficient for you because you dont have a good enough job

you have a valid point when people say that and they have a 5 story mansion in hillaries tho so i will give u that
/end rant

It just frustrates me when people act as negative nancies and say things like if you dont like it move, it is never that simple,

Martin1
24-06-2009, 01:28 PM
i'm not telling anyone to do anything. i am simply saying that they made a choice to sacrifice something so that they could have something else.

i made a choice to sacrifice space/a backyard/multiple bedrooms for proximity to transport nodes/my work/the city.

many others have made the choice to sacrifice their proximity to those things in return for the space that i lack.

malenko
24-06-2009, 01:33 PM
it really all comes down to affordability dude, a house in ellenbrook costs 400 000 while a house in an inner suburb will cost well over 800, sacrificing stuff will get u somewhere but not 400 grand

and some people cant sacrifice the space or multiple bedrooms, ever think of people with families, 2 adults and 3 kids in a 2 bedroom appartment is gonna be awesome fun

Martin1
24-06-2009, 01:39 PM
affordability my arse. who every passed a law that you need to live in a detached house with a backyard to get by?

as for your space/family size comment, they sacrificed certain lifestyle elements for a family did they not? so once again it comes down to what you want, and what you are prepared to give up to get it.

jules_1972
24-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Same old same old...

I had to sacrifice, so can other peoples....

Narrow vision, phuck everyone else attitude......

shmoo
24-06-2009, 01:44 PM
not everyone can "sacrifice a few things" and obtain a house in the inner suburbs,
Yes, they can. They choose not to.

It may come as a shock to you to learn that people in Hong Kong or London or New York still manage to breed, and quite successfully I might add. They raise kids in apartments or townhouses or duplexes without any problem. Some people here dont want to. And thats fine, thats their choice. As Martin said, this isnt about telling people how to live its stating the facts. To use your choice of phrase, I think its retarded logic to move to the sticks and then complain about lack of infrastructure. But hey, what do i know?

edit - Jules, I dont agree that its a "fuck you" attitude. I think its simply that in Perth we have been spoiled for space, and now that coming back to haunt us as people realise that the services arent out there.

jules_1972
24-06-2009, 01:59 PM
To use your choice of phrase, I think its retarded logic to move to the sticks and then complain about lack of infrastructure. But hey, what do i know?

edit - Jules, I dont agree that its a "fuck you" attitude. I think its simply that in Perth we have been spoiled for space, and now that coming back to haunt us as people realise that the services arent out there.

OK, fair call.

Infrastructure should be the first implementation prior to
the land allocation being developed for young families/home owners etc etc...

That would be growth?

malenko
24-06-2009, 02:00 PM
fair enough but this thread has seemed to have been de railed to opinions on public transport, what about the other aspects that people think should be improved, i would like to see more shows coming to the theaters here in perth, either concerts, plays, stand up comics etc.

I really like where we are going with festivals, a few years back all we had was the big day out, now we have rockit, big day out, south bound, future music etc. It really is a huge step in the right direction

Edit: AND BRING BACK THE WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!! honestly no one really cares about the air race.. or heres a thought, have them both together

jules_1972
24-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Edit: AND BRING BACK THE WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!! honestly no one really cares about the air race.. or heres a thought, have them both together

World Class Race Track!!!

WSB???

MotoGP???

Now we talking!!

(But no Public transport that can get you there)
:lol:

malenko
24-06-2009, 02:04 PM
haha

Professor Redfern
24-06-2009, 02:08 PM
it really all comes down to affordability dude, a house in ellenbrook costs 400 000 while a house in an inner suburb will cost well over 800, sacrificing stuff will get u somewhere but not 400 grand

and some people cant sacrifice the space or multiple bedrooms, ever think of people with families, 2 adults and 3 kids in a 2 bedroom appartment is gonna be awesome fun

I paid 660 for 987m in Bedford 7km from CBD.

When I looked around houses out in Landsdale and Ellenbrook where the same price for 600m. The only difference was you got a nicer house.

But mine is 3 by 1 70's and in good condition.

So people could live closer if they wanted for the same price.

Martin1
24-06-2009, 02:09 PM
exactly. i am not trying to say "ha ha! you don't have what i have/live where i live".

far from it. i wish i had the space to grow a decent garden, or own a dog, or kick a footy without walking down to the park... but i made my choice to give up those things so i could live close to the city, just as others have their own choices to make.

malenko; totally agree regarding the concert point. i can remember even only a few years ago when all we had was rockit, and big day out. now we have so much choice, that spans about every genre of concert.

it brings up an interesting topic; so how did this one aspect change, and can that impetus be applied elsewhere?

malenko
24-06-2009, 02:21 PM
yeah exactly, the public transport issue is here to stay and most likely wont change, i still have a beef with it but meh.

I would also like to see a decent amusement park, something similar to dream world on the east, that would get the tourists over here, and also give us locals another option rather than adventure world, which is allright but u can only go on the same 5 rides so many times.

I do like perth in general tho, and the problems i have with it are relatively minor, i am still looking at moving on tho, its comforting to know that i can leave and return in 20 years and not much will have changed.

Roger Explosion
24-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I do like the amusement park idea. We have some of the best beaches in OZ (after NSW central coast imo), so why not put in a big fuck off water slide park? It might sound a bit cheesey, but sure we have natural beauty to attrack tourists, but how about giving them something to do?

jules_1972
24-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Yawn.

Bendito
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
PlanningWA - Directions 2031 (http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/Plans+and+policies/Public+comment/1927.aspx)

Saw something stuck up in the office, may have a better read later, but I thought some of you big thinkers might be interested :)

Martin1
08-07-2009, 01:24 PM
some more reading for those interested:
http://www.uwa.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/14385/Boomtown_essay.pdf