PDA

View Full Version : Open Letters in West Australian - NO Increase in Bike Bay Fees

Stoneville
19-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Here's a copy of the text from page 40? of todays Worst, was a bit surprised about the bike bit, what an earth do they mean???

Dear City Parker

As car park owners and operators, we must pay a Parking Levy to the State Government for commercial parking bays. To date, the Levy has funded the very popular free Central Area Transit (CAT] bus services.

Despite our strongest objection, and without any consultation, the State Government has significantly increased the Levy which will directly result in substantial increases in the parking fees you pay.

As of 1 July 2009 the Parking Levy will increase as follows:

Short stay bays -currently at $183 will be $555 per bay per annum. This is an increase of over 200%.

Long stay bays -are $212 and will jump to $586 per bay per annum. This is an increase of over 175%.

Motorcycle bays -jump from $91.50 to a massive $460.50. This is an increase of over 400%.

We are united in emphasising the State Government's responsibility for the higher parking fees you will soon pay. We are simply collecting tax on their behalf. As city-based parking providers, we are compelled by law to pay the new Parking Levy.

We are vehemently opposed to the increase for the following reasons:
1 The State Government has incorrectly stated the increase is just $1.02 per day per bay. The actual cost is much higher. As many bays do not generate a fee during certain times of the week and year, the maths is flawed because we must pay this levy on all street-kerb and off-street bays, regardless of whether motorists pay a fee. GST will also apply to these increased fees.

2 The real increase amounts to between $1.60 and $3.00 extra per day out of your pocket and hourly parking rates will be up to 50 cents more. We believe this is very unfair to the parking public.

3 Through this increased Parking Levy, the actual revenue which the State Government seeks to raise is an extra $16.4 million. We are very concerned there has been no specific budget commitment as to how the extra revenue will be spent. We firmly believe it should be spent on more public transport and parking improvements.

Perth comes alive when its people can be seen enjoying our great attractions and we do not wish to see this levy deterring people from coming to the city.

We seek your support in trying to reduce the negative effects of the State Government's increased Parking Levy. Let's ensure, at least, the immediate enhancement of the free CAT bus services for the city's visitors, tourists and commuting workforce.

Thank you for your consideration and support. Please contact the State Government at wa-governmentladpc.wa.gov.au to voice your disapproval of the fee increases due to commence on 1 July 2009.

Letter signed by Wilson's and others

Roger Explosion
19-06-2009, 01:48 PM
WTF? where did all the replys go??

Dubs
19-06-2009, 01:53 PM
kooky, i cant even see them

meh, they are private business' and should be able to charge what they want

now if they are price fixing or colluding amongst the industry then that's different

Dubs

Griff
19-06-2009, 02:04 PM
In the Parking thread ( the one that references the petition and all that) these fees are referred to and have been cited by the PCC as amongst reasons why they can't put bike bays in suitable non-cage gaps alongside the curbs as FCC have done...

Hopefully the guys who were seeking clarification from the DPI will find their way back to this now-cleansed thread.... ;)

Stoneville
24-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Further to this, is this article in today's paper (page 62), why would they put in more bike bays when it costs them more to do it??

It looks like most of the on street bike parking will still be free for a few more years though, as they don't want to put meters back on the footpaths.

Perth City Council will reintroduce on-street parking fees for motorcycles as a result of the 400 per cent jump in the State Government's CBD parking levy for motorcycle bays and 170 per cent levy increase for car bays.

The council is trying to recoup some of the extra $7.2 million it will now be forced to pay each year across its 15,000 city bays.

PCC chief executive Frank Edwards said the council was looking at an alternative to bringing back old-fashioned coin-operated "stalk" meters for motorcycles, which were originally abandoned because they were so ugly. When ticket machines were introduced, there was no place on a motorcycle to put a ticket, so the bays have been free.

The government levy for long¬term car bays has been pushed up 170 per cent, or $365 to $586 a bay each year, resulting in parking fees being lifted by $2.50 to $3 a day. But the levy for motorcycle bays has leapt more than 400 per cent from $91.50 to $460.50 a bay per year.

"We get three motorcycle bays in the space of one carpark bay," Mr Edwards said. The council would now have to pay $1381.50 for every three motorcycle bays as opposed to $586 for each car bay each year. In all, it would cost the council an extra $217,000 a year for all the free motorcycle bays.

Mr Edwards said the council would explore new technology options to enable fees to be charged for motorcycles. They would be phased in over the next few years.

Jones Lang LaSalle's regional director of advisory services, Graham Kennedy, said the annual carpark levy had outgrown the tenant bay cost by 354 per cent in the past 10 years.

Perth parking licence fees for short and long-term bays in the CBD were introduced in 1999 at $70 a bay annually, he said. At that time, a CBD tenant was pay¬ing about $4800 a bay each year.

This year's increase in the levy for long-term bays to $586 rep¬resented a 10-year annual compound increase of23.6 per cent.

And a tenant's bay now cost up to $9000 each year, which was an annual compound increase of 6. 5 per cent and was based on market forces.

By comparison, in Mel¬bourne, the carparking levy in January 2006 was $400 each year, rising to $850 in January this year.

This represented compound growth over the three years of 28.5 per cent.

Tenant car bays were $4800 a year in January 2006 and had remained the same, with no increase at all.

In Sydney, the carparking levy in June 2000 was $950 each year, jumping to $2000 from next month. This meant compound growth over nine years of 8. 6 per cent. Tenant car bays were $6600 each year in June 2000 and rise to $8400 from next month, meaning a compound increase of . 2.7 per cent.

Mr Kennedy said it was astounding that the levy in Perth had risen by almost four times as much as market forces dictated.

WA division of the Property Council of Australia executive director Joe Lenzo said the increase, which owners were told would be 4.2 per cent this year but which was bumped up to 170 per cent in the State Budget, was unconscionable.

He said the public information campaign by the PCA, Perth City Council and Wilson Parking would be ramped up.

Wilson Parking's parking division chief executive, Craig Smith, said the company would continue to put pressure on the Government and tell the public the carpark fee increases were a direct result of the levy increase.

Griff
24-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I have just sent the below to the responsible Ministers in Cabinet, and my local Member. Suggest as many as possible from here do the same... :huh:

Dear Sirs

I imagine that this issue lays across all of your portfolios; and Minister Day, you are my local Member. I shall be brief.

At present, a reasonable amount of energy is being expended by various stake-holder organisations and individuals seeking to encourage the Perth City Council to enhance the motor cycle parking capacity within the CBD.

This is because the present availability of motor cycle/scooter parking is:
• Limited
• Not commensurate with either motorcycle & scooter usage, or increase in usage
• Not commensurate with site-opportunity in way of on-street and off-street parking areas (i.e. large increases in available m/c parking may be accomplished without significantly impacting car parking availability – as has been demonstrated by FCC in their uptake of on-road nooks-&-cranny parking for motor cycles/scooters)

There is rational and objective benefit in enhancing this capacity (and thereby the convenience of motor cycle/scooter usage) which includes but is not limited to:
• Environmental impact of private transport – net reductions
• Fuel consumption and emission reductions
• Road infrastructure maintenance benefits in way of wear and tear reduction
• Road infrastructure usage benefit in way of reduced traffic density
• Parking space conservation – noting that ‘one person per vehicle parking’ is the norm in our city, and that motor cycles/scooters park at the rate of conservatively 3, and more typically 5, person-vehicles per car-bay.

To date we have seen an open letter by parking providers, and the identification of Parking Bay License Fee increases of apparently inordinate magnitude (>400%) with respect to motor cycle parking bays – well in excess of other apparently huge increases in parking bay licence fees.

I would like to know what the reason for this apparent victimisation/targeting might be; and also wish to observe that this increase in fees will further (and possibly fatally) restrict any opportunity to persuade the PCC and other parking providers generally to provide more motor cycle parking anywhere.

May I suggest that this is not good or balanced policy, and may I also request that this particular proposal be revisited and struck down.

I look forward to your early response, and also suggest that some response to the public letters may be beneficial.

Yours faithfully etc

Stoneville
24-06-2009, 11:41 AM
mmm very well written and concise, may I cut and paste with a little added for myself??

Griff
24-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Stoney - you and anyone on PSB are welcome to use it in any positive way...

Griff
24-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Bump... could be doing something to benefit m/c & scoots in the CBD

SPman
24-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Just come back from Paris and the number of bikes and scooters parked on the footpath, with no worries, made me rather jealous - and pissed off at the city authorities pig headed attitude toward two wheeled parking.
One day they may grow up, but, rational maturity is something Aus and NZ authorities seem to lack in spades.....

Roger Explosion
24-06-2009, 05:32 PM
^^
Reminds me of travelling around Japan. You could park your bike (motor and pushie) in most places. If you parked in a restricted area, you would recieve a note informing you not to park there again. If seemed to be a good system without just fining the crap out of people.

thro
24-06-2009, 05:37 PM
simple: boycott perth.

if you have to work there, bad luck, but if you have the choice whether to go there to shop or whatever, vote with your $$

Bundera
24-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Why cant PCC be more like Melbourne?

Melbourne is the only capital city in Australia where you can legally park a motorcycle on the footpath.

Melbourne city motorcycle parking (http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=140&pg=3862)

thro
24-06-2009, 05:43 PM
^^ see living in dark ages thread.

Bundera
24-06-2009, 05:47 PM
they need heated grips year-round though

Daise
24-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Same in Lisbon. Park anywhere you want.

Stoneville
08-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Parking Levy on bike bays Dropped

Transport Minister Simon O'Brien has quietly scrapped a CBD parking levy on motorcycle bays that would have cost parking providers an extra $369 a year per bay and reaped $175,450 a year for the State Government.

The move, which has prompted calls for parking companies to reduce parking fees immediately, comes amid new claims from the City of Perth that a drop in people parking in the city because of increased costs could leave a hole in its budget.

The extra cost of parking, which has pushed up fee by as much a $3 a day, also has neighbouring councils worried that it will push motorists to the fringes of the CBD and leave them dealing with an influx of cars.

A spokesman for Mr O'Brien confirmed the levy increase of $1 per parking bay per day was gazetted last week with the exclusion of motorcycle bays.

The levy on motorcycle bays was to have increased 400 per cent. The levy for car bays will increase 170 per cent as planned.

Motorcycle Riders Association of WA president David Wright expected the City f Perth and Wilson Parking to cut parking fees for motorcyclists and increase the number of motorcycle bays.

City of Perth chief executive Frank Edwards, who last month threatened to reintroduce on-street parking fees for motorcycles, said the council would have to review its spending if there wa a significant fall in parking revenue.

Wilson Parking said motorcycle bays were a fraction of its 8000 city bay and it would not change its fees.

Vincent mayor Nick Catania said the town already had problems with motorists parking free near bus stops and catching public transport into the city. Cambridge mayor Simon Withers said if the Government wanted to reduce the number of cars in the city it should build more carparks at outlying train stations.

A spokesman for Mr O'Brien said the Government was happy to work with councils on any problems tbat arose.

Griff
08-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes Oh Yes....!!!

:banana::banana::banana::drinks:

shmoo
08-07-2009, 09:46 AM
The question is whether the parking stations will drop the motorcycle fees back to their previous levels or not. I suspect they will resist doing so.

Wilson
08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/47842/Open-Letters-in-West-Australian---NO-Increase-in-Bike-Bay-Fees/goodnews.jpg
Good news everyone!

The question is whether the parking stations will drop the motorcycle fees back to their previous levels or not. I suspect they will resist doing so.
I recall that CoP motorcycle parking (the actual carpark ones, where you currently pay) was going to go down to 1/3 the car price, from the 1/2 they are now.

I haven't parked in a Wilson carpark, but that article indicated the price hadn't changed yet and now isn't going to.

browncow
08-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I just move my bike every two hours.
Although, most of you know how well that worked for me....

Awesome to see though guys.